Panels ALMOST full!

#31 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostEnigmarocket, on 26 March 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

I know that I'm probably one of the more junior ACen-goers here. This will be my first ACen, perhaps only my third or fourth con total, and I'm not terribly active on these forums. However, while there are legitimate concerns regarding timing of acceptances, it does not--in any capacity--mean that we should attack the staff. This picture--and the tone that's been adopted in other posts--is extraordinarily inappropriate. As far as I know, the staff are volunteers. You're bashing those who have volunteered their time to make a place where we can gather and have fun for a weekend. While it is frustrating that the panel list isn't yet finalized, and many have been waiting for quite some time, does it honestly matter if <insert panel here> was denied or approved when it appears that your only consideration is whether you get to go? Sure, the League panel sounds neat and it might be a great panel for some. However, it doesn't appear to be your panel. Your indignation and tone over possibly missing out on a panel the staff might have denied anyway is, at best, childish and wholly unnecessary.

If you'd bothered to check Bloo09's profile, you'd see that she was last active on 3/23. You might have just missed her via pm or, perhaps, she didn't see it among the many other messages she likely receives as a department head. We don't know what's going on in the lives of the staff and it's reprehensible to infer that the staff should only exist to cater to our needs. There are other methods to contact them, and there are other staff members. Did you try messaging another mod or staff member? Your post doesn't indicate that you did; I recommend that route before bashing the entire staff.

We are talking about a department head. They may be a volunteer, but they still have a job to do and if they can't do it then they should step down. Keep in mind that there is less than two months until ACen and people that put in panel requests last year and still don't know if their panel was approved. Take a little time to research the meaning of the word reprehensible before you casually throw it around. Also, I never said or implied that staff existed to cater to my needs, so take a little time to re read and then you can make an educated response to this thread and not an asinine one.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#32 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Taking this from the facebook page:
We've had panels approved for months and had the first list of approved panels posted in November on our Forum. At this point we are approving what is left as we schedule them. We do not guarantee a time slot to any panel. We are slightly behind in posting the draft schedule but internally we are right on track with scheduling, with pending panels scheduled and will be marked as approved in the system very soon. We are using first come first serve so those who applied in the first 2 months of the application being opened were scheduled first and given priority in scheduling. This is the same system we used last year and why we encourage panelists to not wait to apply for their panels. We haven't updated the pending that are scheduled in case we fill and need to unfortunately bump one for a panel we see as a bigger draw, or we need more guest space, etc. We are doing our best to fit in everyone though
- Dept. Head of Panel Programming

Please keep in mind that while some may feel ignored, we are working hard at making sure to give the best con experience we can for everyone. And sometimes we forget to reply to e-mails for a couple days or PM's become so clogged that we don't use them anymore (like Bloo says she doesn't in her signature). But we are working and will try to accommodate everyone to the best we can.

Just lay off the bashing please. :|
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#33 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostIsamu, on 26 March 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

We are talking about a department head. They may be a volunteer, but they still have a job to do and if they can't do it then they should step down. Keep in mind that there is less than two months until ACen and people that put in panel requests last year and still don't know if their panel was approved. Take a little time to research the meaning of the word reprehensible before you casually throw it around. Also, I never said or implied that staff existed to cater to my needs, so take a little time to re read and then you can make an educated response to this thread and not an asinine one.

I don't think it's appropriate for people to attack each other's knowledge at this point since many of us don't personally know each other? (He's a lawyer, so I'm pretty sure he has a good hold on vocabulary.)

Maybe they should step down, but we also don't know if there are people who are more capable of doing it at the moment. If they were to step down, who's to say if it improves or worsens?

Looks like someone is deleting posts. I think this thread got too harsh. Sorry about that. (Or people are taking things back? No idea. Sorry if I offended anyone. :C )

This post has been edited by pyrrhicvictini: 26 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#34 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Lets not argue guys. I know Bloo- in fact I worked under her when I was on registration and she does work extremely hard at what she does. Ive seen her at the point of exhaustion and not stopping to take care of herself at the convention. She is a great person and took a chance on me that I am forever grateful for. I am in no way am saying she is not doing everything she can. If I thought for one moment that she was doing this on purpose- I would not be asking, I would be going above and beyond the forums. Nobody is saying she isnt 110% commited to her job or any of the other staff or volunteers. However - what we are worried about is the fact that theres an obvious lack of communication- we do not know whats going on and its obvious that something isnt right. Things should be done by now. We are 50 days away from the convention. Perhaps there are other things going on, but they should voice them. If Bloo cant be the one to answer questions because of other reasons, there should be somebody else. One person can not be expected to do everything. Many people only go to these conventions to panel- and we are to the point were they need to know or pull out because of deposits, refunds, etc. I for one am just looking for answers - and can understand why people are getting angry when they aren't getting them..

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 26 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#35 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hmm, this feels like a Nyquil kind of night (feelin' teh sickness coming). Also KPK, you might want to edit your sig to say 2013 cosplays. Just noticed that.

This post has been edited by rondo: 26 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

#36 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

View Postrondo, on 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Hmm, this feels like a Nyquil kind of night (feelin' teh sickness coming). Also KPK, you might want to edit your sig to say 2013 cosplays. Just noticed that.

Thanks! --- and no getting sick! I dont want a sick rondo for ACen again. :(

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 26 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#37 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62829

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

In the end, perhaps we should observe some decorum and respect towards the staff on the facebook page and forums? It shouldn't be terribly hard to agree that forum posters shouldn't behave like petulant children.

This post has been edited by Enigmarocket: 26 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

#38 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

View Postpyrrhicvictini, on 26 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I don't think it's appropriate for people to attack each other's knowledge at this point since many of us don't personally know each other? (He's a lawyer, so I'm pretty sure he has a good hold on vocabulary.)

Maybe they should step down, but we also don't know if there are people who are more capable of doing it at the moment. If they were to step down, who's to say if it improves or worsens?

Looks like someone is deleting posts. I think this thread got too harsh. Sorry about that. (Or people are taking things back? No idea. Sorry if I offended anyone. :C )

I take nothing back. Sucks that one of my posts got deleted( inserts foul language here) but there is nothing I can do about that. It would be helpful if wingy would let me know why my post was deleted. Being a lawyer, the person should have been a little more lax attitude towards attacking first.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.

#39 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I am deleting some posts because it isn't helpful towards the discussion and/or is just staff bashing.
Just like I would delete posts flaming another poster, I will delete posts when false accusations are made.

Please be respectful.
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#40 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62829

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostIsamu, on 26 March 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I take nothing back. Sucks that one of my posts got deleted( inserts foul language here) but there is nothing I can do about that. It would be helpful if wingy would let me know why my post was deleted. Being a lawyer, the person should have been a little more lax attitude towards attacking first.

Enough. Aside from your nonsensical final sentence, we've both made our positions clear. Move on and stay on topic.

#41 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostEnigmarocket, on 26 March 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Enough. Aside from your nonsensical final sentence, we've both made our positions clear. Move on and stay on topic.

I seem to have missed a word in that sentence, sorry( just finished my seventh strongbow). Not bashing you, or any others, just stating that we are in the home stretch and people are still in limbo.

#42 User is offline   YKawashima 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 7654

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Never cool to bash someone but I personally understand all the frustration. My friend and I submitted two panels in November and still haven't gotten word on either of them. Since then she's gotten a job and I've moved my con funds from ACen to C2E2. Neither of us have badges since we have submitted panels pending and if we don't get one/both the chances of us even showing up to ACen are starting to get really slim. (Which would be the first time we missed in almost seven years. I mean I walked off a 14hour plane ride and straight to the golfer room one year. I really love ACen) With her new job she's put in time off for C2E2 and at this rate even if we do get accepted she might not be able to get off.

We'd both still love to do the panels we submitted, but everyday that passes it starts to go from 'Boy I sure hope at least one of our panels get accepted' to 'Well even if they get accepted we can't go.' Which is really too bad.

This post has been edited by YKawashima: 26 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

#43 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Looking back I don't like the combative attitude in some of my posts, and if I ever went too far, I apologize. I never meant to call the staff's efforts into question, and I hope no one else did, either. This hasn't been about slamming anyone. I'm sorry if I set off a powder keg; I've tried to reiterate how much I respect the staff and how much stress they must be under.

Sorry if I went to the dark side, guys. Didn't mean to bash. Just--was frustrated.

This post has been edited by Bard-kun: 27 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#44 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I will try to clarify as best as I can for everyone involved what exactly goes into the timing of Panels.

For our department a lot has to come together.

- All Rooms Finalized/Confirmed with Hotel (Sometimes this does not happen as fast as you would think).
- Working with Guest Relations to ensure our Guests have space and so do our Panelists.
- Meeting over 300 Panels scheduling request with an average of 3 people per Panel. (Can't go against this event, I will only be here from 10 AM to 3 PM on Saturday etc).
- Reading over 300 outlines, emailing Panelist, requesting changes, updates, correcting grammar etc.
- Building that schedule out and verifying/confirming the space yet again. We had a RECORD number of Panels this year, and we did everything humanly possible to fit everybody in, we could not "Blanket" approve everyone, if we did and someone got denied or bumped due to spacing, then we would have another issue all together.
- We have the system where if you are denied you can buy a badge at a reduced price from when you signed up.

The most critical step in any of this is NOT jumping the gun on things, once ALL pieces are in place then we proceed forward. This is where we understand the biggest frustrations happen, as it requires a lot of patience on our Panelists.

We truly do appreciate the discussion and feedback all of our Attendee's and Panelist provide, but there is a lot more to just hitting an approve button unfortunately. Yes its all volunteer and we do work hard and many of the ADH/DH's have late nights planning and working on Panels in addition to their regular jobs.

All I ask is to be respectful, please understand we cannot explain everything that goes on behind the scenes. I hope this illustrated some of it. If anybody at the convention this year would like to discuss any of this please come find us at our HQ!

This post has been edited by Zerox20: 27 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org || Panel Programming FAQ

#45 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostBard-kun, on 26 March 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Looking back I don't like the combative attitude in some of my posts, and if I ever went too far, I apologize. I never meant to call the staff's efforts into question, and I hope no one else did, either. This hasn't been about slamming anyone. I'm sorry if I set off a powder keg; I've tried to reiterate how much I respect the staff and how much stress they must be under.

Sorry if I went to the dark side, guys. Didn't mean to bash. Just--was frustrated.

Its okay we understand things can get frustrating etc =)

#46 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yes and no. The fact is we do understand, and we understand you guys have a lot on your plate, but you need comunication. If a panelist is in pending status they should recieve regular emails about the status, and when they can expect an answer. We are asking when are these going to be done. Completely done not just 5 panels. When can people expect to know that they have to cancel hotel rooms, flights, and ask for time off? These are the questions that need to be answered, and the answer needs to stand true or a revision made and an explination why it changed. This way people don't get upset as much and they can't say that you guys don't care that people are waiting. This is how it is coming across right now and I for one do not think this is how it is ment. Prove me right guys!

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 27 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

#47 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostZerox20, on 27 March 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

- Building that schedule out and verifying/confirming the space yet again. We had a RECORD number of Panels this year, and we did everything humanly possible to fit everybody in, we could not "Blanket" approve everyone, if we did and someone got denied or bumped due to spacing, then we would have another issue all together.

Because of the way your statement is worded, it appears as though your done. Is this the case?

#48 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Nevermind when I clicked update I got my answer.

#49 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Please go to http://www.ACen.org/...draft-schedule/ to see the finished list of approved and denied panels, and the link to the draft schedule. (I stayed up all night finishing it, about 10 hours XD I'm going to go sleep now lol )
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#50 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 27 March 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Yes and no. The fact is we do understand, and we understand you guys have a lot on your plate, but you need communication. If a panelist is in pending status they should receive regular emails about the status, and when they can expect an answer. We are asking when are these going to be done. Completely done not just 5 panels. When can people expect to know that they have to cancel hotel rooms, flights, and ask for time off? These are the questions that need to be answered, and the answer needs to stand true or a revision made and an explanation why it changed. This way people don't get upset as much and they can't say that you guys don't care that people are waiting. This is how it is coming across right now and I for one do not think this is how it is ment. Prove me right guys!

Actually that just it, there literally is no change in the status of pending. We can do better sending out status updates, but all they would say is you are still in Pending, keep in mind this can be checked in your ACen.org profile status as well. Its just a matter having news to update people with.

This post has been edited by Zerox20: 27 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

#51 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostZerox20, on 27 March 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Actually that just it, there literally is no change in the status of pending. We can do better sending out status updates, but all they would say is you are still in Pending, keep in mind this can be checked in your ACen.org profile status as well. Its just a matter having news to update people with.

Even an email stating your in pending would help, and a estimated time of when the next round will be approved. That way people people know they havent been forgotten about.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 27 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

#52 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Everyone is approved or denied, and an email has been sent :)
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#53 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostBloo09, on 27 March 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Everyone is approved or denied, and an email has been sent :)/>

Finalized. Means this thread can be closed, correct?

#54 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postrondo, on 27 March 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Finalized. Means this thread can be closed, correct?

Yep :) Please refer to the Final Panels topic for any further information :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users