Anime Central Forums: What We Leave Behind: The Saddest Moments in anime - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What We Leave Behind: The Saddest Moments in anime

#1 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

This panel is all about the tears. In this panel, we'll be discussing the saddest moments in animes and what makes them sad. Is it because a character died? Is it the reason why these two characters fight? It can be all kinds of things. But I want to hear from you guys. What are some of your favorite sad moments in anime and why? What makes them sad to you? All suggestions are welcome so don't be shy. What do you think?
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Unknown. Probably only going for a day in 2015

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Angel Beats for me. Graduation scene in particular.

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

When the Tachikomas sacrifice themselves in Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#4 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Trigun Spoiler

When Wolfwood dies in Trigun, I sob every time.
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#5 User is offline   Catas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 48999

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Clannad After Story episodes 16 and 21.
ACen 2013:

Kamijou Touma [To Aru Majutsu no Index]
Ronald A. Knox [Umineko no Naku Koro ni]
Surprise Cosplay [Umineko no Naku Koro ni]

#6 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostCatas, on 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Clannad After Story episodes 16 and 21.

I will be having a special section of the panel about Key and it's animes. I call it "Key: WHY CAN'T I STOP CRYING?!?!"
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#7 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Postrondo, on 07 January 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Angel Beats for me. Graduation scene in particular.

Angel Beats for sure. Saikano also made me feel pretty sad & terrible.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#8 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

The end of Rurouni Kenshin Reflection for me, along with that moment in ep 24/25 in Tiger and Bunny... won't spoil it. Also, I'll up and say it. Grave of the Fireflies.
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K14 Cosplays:
Lavi (2nd outfit)- D. Gray Man, Lio Izumi- Full Moon wo Sagashite, Rei Ryugazaki (nightclub outfit)- Free!, Kamui Gakupo (Fate/Rebirth outfit)- Vocaloid

My Flickr- click for my photos

#9 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Chrono Crusade: Chrono and Rosettes final moments together...

Cowboy Bebop: There's a few scenes that really made me tear up. When Ed leaves the Bebop and tells Ein to stay, when Faye is basically telling Spike goodbye and leaves her crying, and of course at the end of the last episode... "Bang"

Grave of the Fireflies: Do I really need to explain this? ;____;

Saikano: This series is just full of sad things

Trigun: Wolfwood :(

FMA: Hughes :(

TTGL: Kamina :(

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#10 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ditto both Chrno Crusade's ending and FMA: The Funeral. Also, spoilers from Sket Dance, Hikaru no Go, and Kekkaishi.

Sket Dance:
Spoiler

Hikaru no Go:
Spoiler

Kekkaishi:
Spoiler

So yeah, just a few that popped into my head that hadn't been mentioned. I've read/seen all these parts so many times I can't say they actually make me cry anymore, but they definitely stand out to me as scenes that can still get some sort of reaction from me.

#11 User is offline   Skylerrelyks 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61459

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostVoxx, on 08 January 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Cowboy Bebop: There's a few scenes that really made me tear up. When Ed leaves the Bebop and tells Ein to stay, when Faye is basically telling Spike goodbye and leaves her crying, and of course at the end of the last episode... "Bang"

Grave of the Fireflies: Do I really need to explain this? ;____;

Saikano: This series is just full of sad things

Trigun: Wolfwood :(/>/>

FMA: Hughes :(/>/>

TTGL: Kamina :(/>/>

Hughes....
The evens I cannot have.
2014:
Ulquiorra (Bleach)
Tiana (Princess and the Frog)
Pot of Fire (Soul Eater)

#12 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostVoxx, on 08 January 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Awww I love Chrono Crusade. Definitely one of those endings I didn't want to believe. Sad endings and/or stories in general are the best. I hope this thread gives me more opportunities to find more series that will thoroughly crush my soul and mind.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#13 User is offline   garefowl 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17858

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

This sounds like an entertaining panel, one of which I would possibly like to attend. If you don't mind, might I make a suggestion towards the format of the panel? I saw where you mentioned that you already have a segment planned for the panel, so I don't really know how much you already have sketched out, but I think it might be a good idea to split up the different types of sad moments in anime.

For instance, a good majority of the people who have replied in this topic have listed the deaths of characters. Which is to be expected--it's the quickest way to bring on the tears, especially when it involves beloved characters. However, you could maybe dedicate a segment of the panel to focusing on "CHARACTER DEATHS", where you give a list of some notable characters and the most tragic moments involving deaths, why they were the most effective/most memorable/etc.

Then, instead of the entire panel being about the deaths of characters, you could focus on a DIFFERENT type of sad moment, such as "BITTERSWEET FAREWELLS". Remember when character A and character B had to say goodbye to one another, for a reason they could not or maybe could control? An example that I'm sure everyone will be able to relate to is when Ash said goodbye to his Butterfree in "Bye, Bye Butterfree". Years later, people still recall that scene as one that made them cry.

I'd just like to see this panel be more than just about deaths. A sad moment can be more than that--sadness can be brought on by watching a character's misfortunes, such as a scene where they have failed and are wallowing. Or maybe when a character is trying their hardest, and you hope that they succeed, but then they don't. There are also moments when a couple breaks up, fights, or are having a rough time. Or, hell, when there is a sad scene showcasing downtrodden civilians, haha!

You don't have to alter your panel in accordance to any of my suggestions if you don't want to, of course. I'm sure it will shape up to be a good panel nonetheless, and I hope to see it when I'm there. :thumbup:

This post has been edited by garefowl: 09 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

the manly dot
ANIME CENTRAL 2K14 COSPLAY
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora)
Satone Shichimiya (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Season 2)

#14 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

View Postgarefowl, on 09 January 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

This sounds like an entertaining panel, one of which I would possibly like to attend. If you don't mind, might I make a suggestion towards the format of the panel? I saw where you mentioned that you already have a segment planned for the panel, so I don't really know how much you already have sketched out, but I think it might be a good idea to split up the different types of sad moments in anime.

For instance, a good majority of the people who have replied in this topic have listed the deaths of characters. Which is to be expected--it's the quickest way to bring on the tears, especially when it involves beloved characters. However, you could maybe dedicate a segment of the panel to focusing on "CHARACTER DEATHS", where you give a list of some notable characters and the most tragic moments involving deaths, why they were the most effective/most memorable/etc.

Then, instead of the entire panel being about the deaths of characters, you could focus on a DIFFERENT type of sad moment, such as "BITTERSWEET FAREWELLS". Remember when character A and character B had to say goodbye to one another, for a reason they could not or maybe could control? An example that I'm sure everyone will be able to relate to is when Ash said goodbye to his Butterfree in "Bye, Bye Butterfree". Years later, people still recall that scene as one that made them cry.

I'd just like to see this panel be more than just about deaths. A sad moment can be more than that--sadness can be brought on by watching a character's misfortunes, such as a scene where they have failed and are wallowing. Or maybe when a character is trying their hardest, and you hope that they succeed, but then they don't. There are also moments when a couple breaks up, fights, or are having a rough time. Or, hell, when there is a sad scene showcasing downtrodden civilians, haha!

You don't have to alter your panel in accordance to any of my suggestions if you don't want to, of course. I'm sure it will shape up to be a good panel nonetheless, and I hope to see it when I'm there. :thumbup:/>

oh yes. I was planning on doing different sections. Deaths, farewells, fights, etc. I've got a few ideas. I also want to go into what makes these things sad and what kind of emotional impact they leave on us
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#15 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Like, every Key/Visual Art's anime ever. They're pretty much the ruthless kings of anime-related tears.

Kanon, Clannad, Air (points to avatar), Angel Beats... Man.

Misuzu Kamio's (points once again to avatar) death is the saddest anime death I've seen. Bittersweet farewell, hopeful beginnings, how-can-the-world-be-so-cruel moments...

Excuse me, I must go compose myself. -sniff-

This post has been edited by WatchJessieGo: 21 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#16 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

The end of Grave of the Fireflies, seconded.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#17 User is offline   The Creeper 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5233

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Like everyone already said but it still doesn't change its impact: The ending to Chrono Crusade. There really are few anime endings that are as powerfully tear jerking as that series finale. Other sad moments:

Trigun: Everyone's already said it and I think we all know what it is by now.

Gurren Lagann:
Spoiler
, very early for the series to pull such a super sad moment.

Mahoromatic: Pretty much the entire ending to season 2.

Black Cat:
Spoiler

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040:
Spoiler
, Nene's reaction to that scene was so sad and touching to me. It gets me every time.
ACen 2013 Cosplays:
Van of the Dawn - Gun X Sword

Bloody Radditz - Dragon Ball Z

#18 User is offline   nike13 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60634

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I second Gwydion's Hikaru no Go scene - I cried so much when that happened

#19 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Okay, so...here are some.

Code Geass
Spoiler

Madoka Magica
Spoiler

...I meant for this post to be longer, but, well, the tears! Anyway, some of the best sad scenes have already been mentioned. Heart-wrenching deaths are a part of anime, but I really want to hear about some of the other best scenes - death is always sad in some aspect so I'm really interested in hearing some of these other saddest moments. >.> I am some sort of masochist, aren't I...xD
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#20 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Postmyrla, on 22 January 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

The end of Grave of the Fireflies, seconded.

Thirded.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#21 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

The one-shot anime "Hotarubi no Mori e" when...
Spoiler

あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#22 User is offline   ArtxIsxAxBlast 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16443

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

ANO HANA!!! ALL MY TEARS IN THAT LAST EPISODE!!
Check out--
Cosplay Photography | Tumblr

ACen 2014 Cosplays
Leon Kuwata(DR), Nonon Jakuzure(KLK), Rufioh Nitram

Wanna be a part of the Dangan Ronpa panel at ACen? Please visit the event page for details on auditioning!

#23 User is offline   MarkVanPerry 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 49488

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Not sure if the ending to the Little Busters anime will have happened by the time of ACen, but I know it tore me up hardcore in the visual novel. I want to say it hit me harder than Clannad After Story.

#24 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Escaflowne
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 26 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#25 User is offline   General_Iowa 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62852

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'll go with a different anime.

Azumanga Daioh, when the girls are graduating high school, manages to tug at my heart strings because I got so invested with all of them and they're all going on with their lives.

You really just hope they do stay friends forever, because they're such good friends during the 26 episodes
Come to rebuildofevangelion.org and join our new and exciting community.

Follow me on Twitter at @NewEvaOrder for all your Eva needs

Come to the Rebuild of Evangelion panels across the country!

#26 User is offline   Desterion 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57337

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

While I'm not really a fan of it anymore I've got to chime in with Naruto. The 3rd hokage's funeral was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen.
One piece- the farewell to Merry
GaoGaiGar- If you've seen it, you know
Rurouni Kenshin- Kenshin's goodbye to Kaoru at the start of kyoto arc (the OVA gets worse if you want to go there)
Cross Game- the very first episode...
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora- nearly the whole series
eureka 7- Charles
'13 cosplays- FF 1/Tactics- White Mage, Fate/Zero- Iskandar/Rider, Natsume Yuujuncho- Natsume, Little Busters [VN version]- Kengo Miyazawa

#27 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

there were many for me, but I would have to say even though its just animation, the saddest night for me was adult swim when Huges died on the origional fma, and then in the same night on ghost in the shell kusanagi's head was blown up by a sniper rifle when section 9 disbanded for a spell of time and she was hunted down, it actully made me depressed since two deaths in one night, and they were main characters too.

oh and millenium actress never got her true love back, and gurrin lagan, when the main character finaly beats the anti spirals, and the daughter of the spiral king that was part of the group finaly marries the main character only to fade away from existance after the wedding, just as it ends, he gets his happy ending but noo it was stripped away, and the end of rahxephone when haruka and ayato finaly get to the end, but since he has to guard time and cant be with her, and also did not have to power to turn back time, gave her the memmories of what would have been if they lived togather and had a family, its sad how ironic that the god of time in that one could not even have the power to turn back the clock so that they could be togather, she only has her granddaughter and the memories of what would have been.

#28 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Fate/Zero
Spoiler

Madoka Magica
Spoiler

Yuru Yuri
Spoiler

Also pretty much every intended tear-jerker in Rose of Versailles. All of them.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#29 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Ditto on Chrno Crusade and Huges in FMA.
Also, when Toboe dies in Wolf's Rain and Tsume tells him goodbye. Breaks my heart every time.
I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#30 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

A new entry for saddest moments: Kotoura-san, first half of episode 1. I heard about it thanks to Otaku in Review. If you're interested, then AVOID any spoilers... just watch it. The show includes a lot of humor, but from what I've seen so far, the serious/sad parts are not going away.

View PostDesterion, on 28 February 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Cross Game- the very first episode...

I have about 1/4 of the Cross Game manga thanks to a recommendation from Shonen Beam. I need to get back to reading it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users