Anime Central Forums: The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender pending right now!

#1 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Accepted!

It's obvious that A:TLA is influenced by anime given the artistic styles, however, the Asian influence goes beyond that! The martial arts, spirituality, history, clothing, architecture, and even food comes directly from Asian countries such as Thailand, Taiwan, Korea, China, and Japan as well.

I am hoping to go very in-depth in this panel, and have studied Asian cultures for years at Michigan State University. My major is Chinese and Secondary Education, so I feel this is the perfect opportunity to practice and present what I know and have researched about! (I actually did a paper and presentation in Chinese about this show, haha.)

Of course, there will be some references to LoK, but I am focusing primarily on A:TLA.

The panel would start out on the martial arts behind bending (even going over metal bending and energy bending, as they tie into the 5 element theory found in China.) If the attendees seem to have a good grasp of this already though, given the fact that the show had educational tidbits about this, I will move onto weaponry, religious influences and how they tie into not only the bending, but also the world view presented, government, historical references, architecture, fashion, basic culture (tea, greetings, language), and possibly even food if time permits.

As a side-note, I was tempted to hold a calligraphy workshop, but was unsure if this would be allowed, as my language studies focus on Chinese.

This post has been edited by pyrrhicvictini: 11 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#2 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Aaaaand it's approved!!
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming

#3 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

IcyPanther is great, & has agreed to let me give away some of her A:TLA art at this panel! [:

Because this panel is going to have a great amount of information in it, I will have a quiz in the last 5 minutes. Depending on how much art I will have, I will most likely (mentally) divide up the room into segments so that I keep myself from picking people from similar areas. For example: one from the back-left, middle-left, upper-left, etc.

Also, if any of you guys are especially interested in a specific topic pertaining to the Asian culture behind A:TLA, let me know & I'll see if I can fit it in, if it's not already included.

& at the moment, this panel is scheduled for Friday at 9pm! That might change since it's a draft but there's always a chance I can keep that spot!

This post has been edited by pyrrhicvictini: 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

#4 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

This panel has been confirmed for the Vienna room if anyone is interested in coming. C:
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

#5 User is offline   beck 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60958

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Ok this sounds AWESOME.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users