• You cannot reply to this topic

Prop screws

#1 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm trying to make fake screws and nails; a slotted pan screw head as well as a lag bolt screw and nails. Outside of wonderflex I have no idea how to do this? Help please?

EDIT: These are not going to be small; these are going to be about two-three inches at least in size/width (big enough to fit around my hands.) I know how to make the screw head but I have no idea how to make the ridges around the screw.

This post has been edited by Level-5: 02 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

#2 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61968

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Any ref pictures to see exactly what we're dealing with? Even a sketch or something?
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#3 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostIzuhara_Torozu, on 02 January 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Any ref pictures to see exactly what we're dealing with? Even a sketch or something?

Oh yeah! Sorry.

Here:

The third image is the two that I'm really trying to make in terms of size. The second image is the two screw head types: a slotted pan and a lag bolt.

This post has been edited by Level-5: 02 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

#4 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hmmmm, I would think possible balsa might work! Carve it then coat is with some fiberglass resin for resiliance! haven't priced out blocks of balsa, though, dunno if they're pricey.

Otherwise floral foam (green, not pink) and carving that out could do it, then coat that with fiberglass resin similarly. The resin will eat pink foam, but not green.

If you want them really tough you can resin and follow up with fiberglass chop mat, similar to paper mache (kinda), but then you'll have a rough surface that needs sanding/ filling, whereas if you just coat with a healthy layer of resin you'll have a mostly smooth finish that only need minimal prep before paint (but don't be as strong).

#5 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostIzuhara_Torozu, on 02 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Hmmmm, I would think possible balsa might work! Carve it then coat is with some fiberglass resin for resiliance! haven't priced out blocks of balsa, though, dunno if they're pricey.

Otherwise floral foam (green, not pink) and carving that out could do it, then coat that with fiberglass resin similarly. The resin will eat pink foam, but not green.

If you want them really tough you can resin and follow up with fiberglass chop mat, similar to paper mache (kinda), but then you'll have a rough surface that needs sanding/ filling, whereas if you just coat with a healthy layer of resin you'll have a mostly smooth finish that only need minimal prep before paint (but don't be as strong).

Ah I see but how would I go about doing the ridges? This is my first time doing this on my own but I want to try to make this as accurate as possible.

#6 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Carefully, lol. Practice a little and envision in your head how you're going to carve it to make it look like a proper screw, get a decently sized screw as a reference, too. Try one some little blocks, and once you think you've got it down, graduate to a fullsize one that you plan on using for real. Remember, it's just a spiraling V groove, where the lands between the dips come to a point. Not the easiest, but not impossible, either.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users