Anime Central Forums: Artists wearing cosplays - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Artists wearing cosplays Does it help, hinder or have no effect?

Poll: Artists wearing cosplays (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think wearing a cosplay as an artist helps attract visitors/ sales?

1. Absolutely! (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. I think it makes it worse; everyone just wants to take pictures! (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. I don't think it really has an impact one way or another. (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote

#1 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

So here's a sort of random question for all my fellow artists: Does wearing a cosplay behind your table, help, hurt or have no effect on your sales?
I think it's an interesting dynamic, as it's great to be able to do something other than hawk your stuff at people and you get to take lots of photos. Plus, if people recognize your cosplay, maybe they'll drop by when they wouldn't have. On the other token, do you get people who just want to chat with you and take pictures and take time away from someone who wanted to buy something?

My twin and I cosplayed as the Hittachin twins from Ouran High School Host Club (Cheshire cat outfits) at Youmacon this year, but I really can't say one way or another if it had an effect as anyone who was at Youma knows, our traffic flow wasn't so great. =p We're planning to cosplay them again at ACen as well as Kyo and Yuki from Fruits Basket because we enjoy getting to chat with fans from the shows and who knows, maybe we'll make it to a photoshoot this time!

So what are your thoughts on artists cosplaying? Are you planning to go as anyone this year?

I will be attending ACen 2014 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I always cosplay in the AA! I think it helps for fans to be drawn into your table. It is best to have a table buddy though in case they do want to pull you out for a picture. I've gotten asked plenty of times throughout the day for pictures.

I think it also helps cement the fact that you're just a fan like they are, not just someone looking to make money off of popular anime trends.

Although on Sunday I tend to wear a comfy outfit for move-out, and last year I wore my red contacts which seemed to scare off some of the parents an more "normal" people.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

We've done both in and out of cosplay. With myself as Ron Weasley (Harry Potter), Takaya Sakaki (Persona), Kyon (Haruhi) or Ronfar (Lunar) and my wife as Yuki Nagato (Haruhi), Lucia (Lunar), Jin (Persona) and White Rabbit version of Yuki Nagato (Haruhi).

We have a lot more experience IN cosplay than out of cosplay but the one time we did not it didn't really effect sales. We didn't really get too many photograph requests anyway and it saved the prep time before the con.

I'd say if you have and want the extra hour or so prep time in the mornings then go cosplay. But it does seem to be superfluous and your cosplay never gets the attention you want or deserve behind a table.

#4 User is offline   sweetplushiecak 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8105

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

It can help. If you're another generic L (Death Note) then there probably won't be much customer response. If you're wearing something super obscure it can help: you might find that more people want to talk to you because they'll be interested in who your character is. If you're a girl, or have one at your table, who's outfit is revealing? You'll definitely get more people wanting to take pictures, but they may not actually buy something. IME cosplay at AA tables do not have a negative impact on sales, they definitely grab the attention of customers and con-goers.

#5 User is offline   DC Panda 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 15252

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I think it matters what your booth is centered around, and what you're selling. Ideally, anything you're doing at your booth should be there to facilitate traffic and hopefully sales.

Here's my situation: I'm a cartoonist, and my AA presence is centered around original characters and stories rather than doujinshi or fan art. Dressing up as a character from another body of work doesn't really help me and I feel might actually confuse potential readers. However, my stories do carry a particular visual aesthetic (fantasy western/ Steampunk-ish) so if anything, the wife and I will dress in that style (not entirely sure if that counts as cosplay).

I AM going to be rolling out a full-fledged costume of an existing character this ACen, but it'll be after the AA closes. I sort of see my time in AA as "work time" - mainly because I'm paying money to be there, and I want to make sure I can make personal contact with customers and potential new readers.

I personally think, for myself, putting on a costume might detract from that. Getting a picture taken is fun and (usually) feels great, but it's just not what I'm there for.
DC Chen- Big Asian Guy

Artist Alley- 12th Year under Panda Rage Productions.
Check out our webcomic Onward Bound!

Panel for 2013: Carpe DM- The Art of Gamemastery for Tabletop RPGs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users