• This topic is locked

Setup/Teardown Crew 2013

#1 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2258

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is a part of the Volunteers department, but separate from the regular at-con volunteers- while that covers volunteering during the con, this is for helping set things up before it all starts, and take it apart once it's over. It's easy- sign up for two eight-hour blocks or four four-hour blocks on Thursday pre-con and/or Sunday post-con, and your badge is on us.

If you like moving things around, putting them together, and then taking them apart again, this is the job for you! Setup can start as early as 10 AM on Wednesday, so come as soon as you can!

Here's the signup sheet! Click on this to get the ball rolling! This link can also be found on the main site- click Anime Central on the left side and then go down to Volunteer and it'll be on that page.

We've got a Facebook page too! Come on in and give us a few likes :)

Post questions and comments here!

THE RULES!

1. *Keep the same Time Card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
2. Must be at least 18 to be a Volunteer. You must show proof of age.
3. Wear your Volunteer Badge (provided after sign up) while working either/both Set-Up and/or Tear-Down.
4. *Doing work for an Exhibitor will not count towards your Volunteer Time.
5. Know your own Strength. IF you can not do a job, stop.
6. Do Not Wear opened-toe shoes when volunteering.
7. Show up to volunteer on Sunday. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated. = )
8. **Do Not Commit to Sunday and Not Show Up! :’(
9. Have an ACen.org Account already set up before arriving at con.

(*Otherwise, your hours earned Will Not count for this year.)
(**This will result in not being able to Volunteer and/or Staff the following year.)

ACen Badge Policy:

An ACen Issued Badge is needed to Volunteer.
No, your hours will not go towards a badge the same year you are earning them.
Hours will only be put towards a refund at the end of the weekend or a roll over for the following year.
You must be in the ACen.org registration system as of Wednesday before con if you are a part of Set Up Team.
Will Call Badges can be picked up at Con and will count as an ACen Issued Badge,only if you:
Are prepared to provide your Username for your ACen.org Account at Sign Up.**

As a Team Member the following will be asked of you:

“Help other departments set up and/or tear down their location.
You might even find a department you would like to work for in the future.
After you have finished one department and you still need hours or are looking for more work, report back to Reagan Room for more instructions.

● Those who are good with cables will be asked to help Main Programming both Set Up and Tear Down.
● Those good with computers will help Tear down Reg and IT.
● Those good with gaming systems & can handle large consoles will help Gaming Set Up and Tear Down.
● Those of you who are good at Tetris will be needed for packing of boxes and the stacking of pallets.

If you have any talent/hobby that could be utilized please feel free to point them out. = )
This helps us, to help you, find out where you would best help your favorite convention! ;-)

Crash Space is available to Team Members:

If you help with Set Up on Wednesday or Thursday and need Crash Space please let us know.
If you help with Tear Down on Sunday and need Crash Space please let us know.
The Sooner we know, The Sooner we can help you, help us. = )

*Any questions: See The Volunteers Department Head.

This post has been edited by Zeth: 08 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

#2 User is offline   nike13 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60634

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hello Zeth,

I was wondering where the setup/tear down signup form is located - I couldn't find it on the main website.

Thank you!

#3 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

We don't have the form up yet- as soon as we do, I'll post about it here and provide a link.

#4 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Wait, the site says: "•A free ACen issued badge for the following year after 16 hours of work." Then states: "•Double Hours are earned during Wednesday & Thursday Set Up: (till midnight Thursday) AND during Sunday Tear-Down. (4pm till the job is done)*"

So wouldn't that mean 8 hours are required for a free badge if we volunteered for set-up/take-down, not 16?

The reason I ask is because:

It's easy- sign up for two eight-hour blocks or four four-hour blocks on Thursday pre-con and/or Sunday post-con, and your badge is on us.

Which suggests we need 16 hours for set-up/take-down.

This post has been edited by pyrrhicvictini: 18 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#5 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

You do only need 8 hours if you work exclusively setup/teardown as they are during double credit time. However, if you're setup/teardown, you can also do regular volunteer work during the regular con for regular hours- as long as it all adds up in the end, you're golden- for example, you could do 2 hours of setup on Thursday, 8 over the con, and then another 2 of Sunday teardown. Any combination will work.

#6 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Oh alright! I was just concerned that the double hours were being rid of. Sorry!
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#7 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

The signup sheet is up and open for business! Here it is, click it and make all your dreams come true.

I've also added the link to the original post to make sure everyone sees it. :)

#8 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just thought you all might like to know that the Anime Central Volunteers Department has got itself a lovely Facebook page! Pop on by and give us a like if you'd like :)

#9 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61043

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

so i cant get a badge for the time im there bc i have no badge or money but want to go to acn me and my freind

#10 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

All volunteers- be they regular at-con volunteers or setup/teardown team- need to already have a badge in order to sign up.

#11 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Curious, what are the windows available for work? Like timeframes.

This post has been edited by rondo: 26 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

#12 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

so begin a volt. and not a staff is pointless

#13 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

It's definitely not pointless. While you do need to already have a badge this year to volunteer, if you work enough hours you can earn things like a free badge for next year and a free place to sleep that night so you don't have to pay for a hotel room. Plus it gives the con much needed help.

#14 User is offline   ravenfinch 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

sigh,well i guess since it helps out,as long as i set my own hours to work.Also i was wondering why i was picked to setup/teardown but not a staff.I'm not happy with the idea so could someone explain to me why i was picked as a setup/tear crew but not a staff in which i actually wanted?

#15 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the staffing applications (and hiring phase) passed earlier in the year, whereas the volunteers program (includes setup/teardown) is on more of a "rolling deadline". Staffers often have training and other tasks to complete pre-con, so that is why the cut-off is a few months before the con starts. I'm not aware of any volunteers needing special training beforehand, so the pre-con sign-up period is much longer.

If you are wondering about something specific on your staff application, you should probably contact the DH of the department you were applying for.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#16 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm pretty sure Rori is right- there's a deadline for staff due to training and whatnot that you may have missed. There's no deadline at all for volunteers- you can even sign up for that at the con itself without doing so beforehand.

You do set your own hours as a volunteer, though- there are no schedules for volunteers, we send out whoever is available to do jobs as they come up.

#17 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Still curious about time frames. Say if someone could start at 8am on Wednesday and drop 8 hours. And perhaps a 4-8 hour block on Thursday.

#18 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm not completely sure when we start on Wednesday- I'll find out and let you know.

#19 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Okay! Looks like it probably won't start before 5 PM on wednesday. We haven't got all the specifics ironed out- a lot of it has to do with things like when the hotel and convention center makes things and spaces available- but it most likely won't be before late afternoon. I'll post again when we've got something more concrete.

This post has been edited by Zeth: 12 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

#20 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostZeth, on 12 April 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Okay! Looks like it probably won't start before 5 PM on wednesday. We haven't got all the specifics ironed out- a lot of it has to do with things like when the hotel and convention center makes things and spaces available- but it most likely won't be before late afternoon. I'll post again when we've got something more concrete.

Thanks for the response.

#21 User is offline   Zeth 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

THE RULES! This has also been added to the OP for new visitors.

1. *Keep the same Time Card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
2. Must be at least 18 to be a Volunteer. You must show proof of age.
3. Wear your Volunteer Badge (provided after sign up) while working either/both Set-Up and/or Tear-Down.
4. *Doing work for an Exhibitor will not count towards your Volunteer Time.
5. Know your own Strength. IF you can not do a job, stop.
6. Do Not Wear opened-toe shoes when volunteering.
7. Show up to volunteer on Sunday. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated. = )
8. **Do Not Commit to Sunday and Not Show Up! :’(
9. Have an ACen.org Account already set up before arriving at con.

(*Otherwise, your hours earned Will Not count for this year.)
(**This will result in not being able to Volunteer and/or Staff the following year.)

ACen Badge Policy:

An ACen Issued Badge is needed to Volunteer.
No, your hours will not go towards a badge the same year you are earning them.
Hours will only be put towards a refund at the end of the weekend or a roll over for the following year.
You must be in the ACen.org registration system as of Wednesday before con if you are a part of Set Up Team.
Will Call Badges can be picked up at Con and will count as an ACen Issued Badge,only if you:
Are prepared to provide your Username for your ACen.org Account at Sign Up.**

As a Team Member the following will be asked of you:

“Help other departments set up and/or tear down their location.
You might even find a department you would like to work for in the future.
After you have finished one department and you still need hours or are looking for more work, report back to Reagan Room for more instructions.

● Those who are good with cables will be asked to help Main Programming both Set Up and Tear Down.
● Those good with computers will help Tear down Reg and IT.
● Those good with gaming systems & can handle large consoles will help Gaming Set Up and Tear Down.
● Those of you who are good at Tetris will be needed for packing of boxes and the stacking of pallets.

If you have any talent/hobby that could be utilized please feel free to point them out. = )
This helps us, to help you, find out where you would best help your favorite convention! ;-)

Crash Space is available to Team Members:

If you help with Set Up on Wednesday or Thursday and need Crash Space please let us know.
If you help with Tear Down on Sunday and need Crash Space please let us know.
The Sooner we know, The Sooner we can help you, help us. = )

*Any questions: See The Volunteers Department Head.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users