Safest Method to Carry Money

#1 User is offline   sailormoon846212 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 54503

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

So,
Last year, I brought my wallet and carried that around in the exhibit hall. It wasn't until I realized that I lost my debit card and drivers license that was not such a good idea. So, I have to ask, what do you do to carry around important money/debit cards with?

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postsailormoon846212, on 26 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

So,
Last year, I brought my wallet and carried that around in the exhibit hall. It wasn't until I realized that I lost my debit card and drivers license that was not such a good idea. So, I have to ask, what do you do to carry around important money/debit cards with?

If you are worried about losing stuff, just bring cash. Get a money clip.

Aside from that, I always have my wallet with me. I typically check for it from time to time, as a sort of a habit. If you have your wallet, only carry with you what you really need. Minimalist, do with cash and identification.

#3 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

^ This. One of the advantages wearing a vest with lots of pockets is, well, lots of pockets in which to carry things. But even then, I only bring what I know I can transfer into my jeans once I'm off shift. (I don't usually shop around in the exhibit hall, though I do keep an eye out for things that I or folks I know may be looking for.)

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 26 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#4 User is offline   sailormoon846212 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Would it be too tacky to wear a neck wallet? Is there a anime one that looks cool?
I think money clip is good, but where would I put it? I don't have vests and what if my hands are full of merchandise?

#5 User is offline   sailormoon846212 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Would you suggest a lanyard to put badge and money in? Like I don't plan on bringing my debit card into the hall, just cash and a i.d. card. I just don't want to loose track of something important.

#6 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Actually, I've seen lots of people use badge holders for their money. (Although you could use the original pocket w/lanyard given at con, the ACen Merch booth has also been known to sell nicer versions of these.) It's a good idea for those with cosplays that have few pockets, if any. The only caution here is making sure you keep that on your person (and keep the badge visible :heart: ), as well as keeping it from snagging on stuff. I know last year we had at least one badge turned in that had money inside the holder.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#7 User is offline   sailormoon846212 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yep, that is what I am going to do, thanks. :)

#8 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I usually clip one of those little sunglasses pouch( the soft kind that come as freebies with purses and what not) to my landyard and put my phone, money, etc. in there.
I love it because when I cosplay, I'm not only taking off my badge but also any other appendages and what not so it's a quicker on off than with a purse.
Plus no one ever bothers me about it when I go to the dances
( though if you have pockets disregard all this and just get a wallet with a chain. You'll notice if someone tries to take that o___0;;)
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#9 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

What I have done in the past years was carry a messenger bag with my wallet and coin purse inside. At least I know its somewhere in there. Try a small hand bag. I have see some phone wallets, a coworker of mine has one.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#10 User is offline   aznskater14 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62819

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I always had a habit of checking for my wallet so this was never a problem for me , i mean try to make it a habit because losing a wallet is a pain..

#11 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

The ACen Merch booth sells a badge wallet that velcros shut, then when unfolded has zippered pockets for holding ids, key cards and money. Its pretty sturdy too.
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#12 User is offline   kotomichi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61591

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I've always kept my cards in the badge holder and it's worked out pretty darn well for the past couple of cons. I see a lot of girls who don't like to carry their badges since it kind of ruins photos, so they usually put cash in their bra...Kind of wierd and awkward when the girl next to you at the manga booth is riffling through their bra for spare change.
ACen 2013
Hunny Mitsukuni (Ouran), Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach), Conan Edogawa (Case Closed!), Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji), Haku Ha (Naruto), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2013 Cons: Anime Milwaukee, C2E2, Anime Central, Anime Midwest, Wizard's World, Kollision Con

#13 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Urgh, as a former cashier, what's the worst is when someone goes digging through their bra for money and it comes out wet. XP

I've found the easiest way to carry stuff is to just sew a hidden pocket in my cosplay. It's hard to lose the stuff I'm carrying, and it forces me to only carry what I need.

Though, if you find yourself needing to carry a lot of stuff then that's probably not a good solution, unless you're dressed as someone lumpy...

#14 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostAgatha, on 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Urgh, as a former cashier, what's the worst is when someone goes digging through their bra for money and it comes out wet. XP

I've found the easiest way to carry stuff is to just sew a hidden pocket in my cosplay. It's hard to lose the stuff I'm carrying, and it forces me to only carry what I need.

^ THISTHISTHIS.

I have friends in Artist Alley who can attest to this. Please, for the love of all that is holy, don't keep your cash stuffed in your bra. Seriously. It's gross, at best, and with the way con plague can spread, it's unhygienic at worst.

If you have no way of carrying cash on you besides your badge holder, then ask a buddy who is with you to carry it. I have done the same for my friends in the past.

#15 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I personally carry my ID and cash inside my bra, or inside of my shoe. This may be a bit extreme, but I really see no other way that is comfortable and safe. I've had things stolen right off of me before and I suppose to literally carry the goods ON you/in your clothes is the best.
poopies.

#16 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

When I'm at conventions I do NOT carry any credit or debit cards with me. It's too risky and with how big ACen has gotten it's just too big of a risk. My ID I don't have a choice except to carry around with me and my hotel room key. I have a lot of badge landyards that I purchase/have received at different conventions and keep the plain plastic holder and usually that is where my ID and room key are kept. When I do carry money it is cash only and I have made it a habit never to take all of my money with me at any given time. Only 50% is usually with me and the rest is kept in the room safe. I did purchase the ACen Badge/Money Holder back during the 10th anniversity and that is something I carry my cash in. If you don't want to buy the one from ACen, you can get them pretty much anywhere they sell travel things.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#17 User is offline   PsychoSora 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18675

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

I usually bring my wallet like I would on a normal day, but I leave most of it in my hotel room in the safe. I take enough with me that if I wanna buy something I have it with me. But I can ALWAYS go back to my room to get more.
It's probably not the safest but I usually put it behind my badge, since I keep that very close to my person at all times.
All though if I can, when I make my costume I see if I can work in a small hidden pocket on the inside of it. It isn't always plausible but a few years I did, it was very handy.

Remember to Tag Yourself!
ACen 2013

ACen 2012 Photos
For ACen's previous to 2012 please send me a PM for the link.

#18 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

I use a wristlet purse/ wallet. I have a really cute sparkly one that I carry around and for my euphie cosplay ill just find one that goes with that color scheme.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#19 User is offline   Amikyo 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63057

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

As a cosplayer, this has been an issue for me. I agree with sewing in a hidden pocket, but sometimes that isn't feasible. In the past, I've had a little drawstring bag connected to my costume and hidden inside my clothes. But for tighter costumes....that won't really work. I sometimes wear my wallet around my neck, under my clothes/costume. And I might stick that wallet in my bra so it doesn't show under my costume. But why on earth would anyone leave their money loose in their bra?! Sure, I store stuff in there, but who knows what crap is on your cash? At least put it in a wallet or bag, both for your sake and the sake of others!

But I do tend to get worried when I'm running around a con and my money/wallet's just in a pocket. I use a wallet with a ring attached, and I like to shove the wallet in my pocket and use a caribiener to attach it to my belt loop, so I don't have to worry about it falling out. I also tend to use zippered/buttoned pockets as much as possible. There's just to much risk otherwise.

If you are a cosplayer and the aforementioned methods don't work for you, I suggest clever prop choice. Find a bag that goes with your outfit, or blends in, like a drawstring backpack with straps that match your shirt. I've also heard of people using hollow props with inner compartments, like a book. Failing that, just get a friend to carry it. But make sure you will be staying together!

#20 User is offline   Lukage 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 27500

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

The best advice is to carry cash, but take limited amounts of you while leaving your hotel. If you find something at the dealer's room that needs more money, explain the situation if possible and in many cases, they will be able to hang on to something for you for 20 minutes while you run back.
ACen 2013: Tenchi Muyo with Light Hawk Wings
ACen 2014: Simpsons Stonecutter and Shiroe (Log Horizon)

Take about five dozen eggs...start puttin' 'em in a bowl...

#21 User is offline   Tiny Dangerous 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61359

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I agree with simply carrying cash, and using a money clip. I'd rather misplace a few bucks than my debit card! And I also agree with either carrying small amounts with you, or staggering the location of your money. For example, don't put all of your cash to blow at the Dealer's Room in your purse, stash some in your costume (or even in your shoe), just in case.

#22 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

This one goes out to the ladies:
Use your bras for a money stasher!
I have stashed things in my bra loads of times and I have never lost a single item.
Try it out sometime~
:3
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#23 User is offline   Fate Averruncus 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9968

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

I usually carry a small purse that goes from my shoulder to my side (I mean, it's REALLY small. It can fit my phone, money, some tape, and hair pins, but that's all.). It's worked every year so far. Because it's black, it's also pretty discreet--which is great for cosplay purposes. And it's easy enough to remove for photos. (I have my brother hold it during this time). And because my cosplays have always been girls, it's not out of place, either.

I'm going to think of something else this year, though. I'm cosplaying a guy this year, so a purse would ruin my cosplay. D:. I like the badge holder idea that I've seen on here--is there any way to buy the ones ACen sells before the con? I think ACen used to have a store on the website, but I can't find it. :(.
And if not, can I get a similar one outside the con?
Attending ACen since 2002. :).
Friday and Saturday cosplay: Neinheart from MapleStory

My cosplay.com page | My Deviantart page

#24 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

Um....so like it says in my signature, I cosplay as Saya, from Black Cat. People may or may not have seen me in years past rummaging through my ginormous sleeves looking for my wallet/ prop-gun/ camera/ etc. It can be kinda a hassle, and people tend to be amused by it, but it works(you'd need to get way too up close and personal with me to even see which sleeve anything was in, let alone get away with anything).

My advice, too, would be to maybe use card-holder/ coin purse/ billfold instead of a normal, bulky wallet. I'm a college student, and even on campus I almost never bother carrying my actual wallet around unless I'm actually going out somewhere. I used to carry everything around loose in my pockets but carrying around loose change is a hassle so I finally got a coin purse where I keep my Cash and ID and stuff.

I actually use it when I'm in the City too; I didn't get a chance to get my driver's license before starting college and my college town is so small and getting around via public transportation is so easy when I'm back in Chicago that I still haven't bothered to get it. So even if I have my actual wallet with me, I keep that in my purse and carry my CTA pass and, like...$5 in case I don't have enough money on it in my coin purse for easy access because the last thing you want to do, whether it's at a con or on the streets, is show potential pick-pockets where the real money is.

That being said, if you're bringing a lot of cash with you to the con, don't carry it all with you at once. Only carry what you need and keep the rest in a secure location (i.e: hidden in your suitcase or wrapped in your dirty laundry, if you're that worried about the security of your hotel room).
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#25 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Agreed, kimono sleeves are a good place to store shopping money. It works really well for a money clip and room key (and other light things), you just have to keep in mind that if you are in cosplay and you have something heavy in your sleeve, it will probably show up in pictures.

I've heard some of my male friends say they only take basics in their wallet (cash for the day, license, etc) and carry the slimmed down wallet in a front pants pocket.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#26 User is offline   LhadyChloe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58924

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I never bring my ID with me. I only put my cash and Credit Card into my badge holder and then tape it to make sure it doesnt fall
NAIB COSPLAY CLUB 2014 ROSTER
FRIDAY - Dynasty Warriors l SATURDAY - Lightning Returns l SUNDAY - Naruto
SELLING MY MANGA COLLECTION
SITE: http://naib-cosplay.webs.com
2013 - Final Fantasy XIII, Fairy Tail, One Piece l 2012 - Bleach , DGrayman, InuYasha l 2011 - Final Fantasy XI, One Piece, Code Geass l 2010 - Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy X, Naruto
YouTube l Tumblr l Instagram l Facebook l Twitter

#27 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62791

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

To be completely honest, I don't think this question is best answered on a forum. Now thieves know where to look.

#28 User is offline   code2destroy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60187

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostPiccolo Sky, on 27 April 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

To be completely honest, I don't think this question is best answered on a forum. Now thieves know where to look.

they may not wish to go where some people hide their money ^^

I'm talking about shoes!

...ok I actually was thinking underwear :rolleyes:

#29 User is offline   code2destroy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60187

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostFantasia, on 26 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

This one goes out to the ladies:
Use your bras for a money stasher!
I have stashed things in my bra loads of times and I have never lost a single item.
Try it out sometime~
:3

i do it too...but i lack the boob mass to really keep things there without them sliding. then, some costumes don't allow women to wear their bras. So, panties it is! they'll only find it if you strip down to your skivvies. though i don't suggest actually spending that cash. that's unsanitary and shops may think you're going to flash them when you reach down your pants for your wallet.

#30 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostLhadyChloe, on 26 April 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I never bring my ID with me. I only put my cash and Credit Card into my badge holder and then tape it to make sure it doesnt fall

That's actually not a good idea. You should have your id on you. For one thing, 18+ events can only be accessed with an id and there are certain things in the dealer's room that can only be bought with an id. And while that might have nothing to do with you, you should still have your id on you at all times; while it's never happened to me and I've never seen it happen, I know that staffers will sometimes ask people randomly to see their ids and match them to the individual's badge. Also, I've had times when I've bought something with my card and the cashier has asked to see an id, granted, this was at, say, a book store during the holidays, not at the convention, but basically there's no reason for you not to have your id on you at all times and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users