Anime Central Forums: School District tracks children with chipped IDs - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

School District tracks children with chipped IDs

#1 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62670

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

http://www.cbn.com/c...ids-with-RFID-/

Found this article and just wanted to share it. Not sure how to feel about it, but it's a little unsettling that they're making it mandatory. Read up on RFID chips, and apparently they've been around for a while but only have been used within the past decade for the most part, and not necessarily with people.

What do you guys think about this?
Learn more about anime figures and read reviews at my site! (three years and going!)
http://www.ishokuosero.com
Or add me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook....colouredothello

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

-reads-

Mark of the beast? How? It didn't explain that...made me think of the old "birth control is for the devil."

To be honest I support it; I mean we used to ditch school back in my day and this is good for parents with autistic children or special needs just in case something happens....unless it only reads in the school and not outside/etc.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I think they've got the right idea but the problem I see is how easy it could be to fool the system. You just leave the card at home and run and...play or whatever it is the kids do these days. The other question I've got is where is the line ya know? When do we go too far to keeps kids in school. Still it's a start
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2014 and progress made:

Gintoki Sakata (Patriot Factory President ver): 20% (need more money)
Genderbent Caitlyn from League of Legends: 90% (only need to get my hat and gun)

#4 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think it's a terrible idea. RFID tags are good for lost pets. People are not animals.

Of course, "personal responsibility by the parents" might be an interesting approach, but that's soooo 20th Century.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Big Brother wants your kids"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#5 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 10 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Of course, "personal responsibility by the parents" might be an interesting approach, but that's soooo 20th Century.

Personal Responsibility? What's that concept?
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Genderbent Caitlyn from League of Legends: 90% (only need to get my hat and gun)

#6 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

LAWL cbn. I don't take a single thing they say serious. especially pat robertson. Lunatic that one.

Tho with this issue, dunno how I feel about it...I mean it is destroying freedom, but there might not ever be a lost child again (if handled right)
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#7 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I guess I don't really get the point of it.

If it's for monitoring attendance, shouldn't the teacher already be taking attendance and noticing who's not in class? If they're concerned about kids roaming the halls - don't they have teachers/aides/whoever monitor that during the day? Are they planning on using this as a substitute for teachers/aides/hall monitors? If they are going to use it as a substitute for actual people in the halls, what happens when a kid decides to take a walk? Who's going to go after him?

I guess it could be useful if, say, Jane doesn't show up to math class, then one could find out if she's hiding out in a bathroom or something and track her down, but enough kids skip class at any given time that I would think it would be overwhelming to have to send someone to fetch every person who isn't precisely where they ought to be, especially once the kids wise up and start sticking their badges in heating vents or someplace equally obscure. And if they're not going to use the location info to track them down and fetch them back, how does this system differ from what they're doing already?

The thing that bugs me is that they say that this is an improvement in student safety, but don't explain how. I suppose if a student's badge no longer shows up as being in the building, one could call the cops, but couldn't they already do that if a kid's not in the building and hasn't been called in sick? And, realistically, loads of kids skip school every day, and how often is a kid absent as a result of something nefarious? These kids aren't like granny who might fall and break a hip while she's home alone.

#8 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 10 October 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

LAWL cbn. I don't take a single thing they say serious. especially pat robertson. Lunatic that one.

Tho with this issue, dunno how I feel about it...I mean it is destroying freedom, but there might not ever be a lost child again (if handled right)

I used it because it was the first article that popped up that wasn't SMOSH on the topic. There are other articles out there as well, if you google the school name and RFID. I didn't even think about what CBN stood for until you brought it up, haha. Ah well.

@magishine - Yep, that's how I see it too. Kid doesn't want to use it? Leave it in the locker. Give it to a friend. Whatever. It'd be so easy to put it down and it doesn't help anyone in that case. The only thing that would is if you chipped the kids themselves, and well, let's NOT go down that slippery slope, right? Yikes.

@sentinel - Oh yeah. That personal responsibility thing. Pretty sure I mirror magishine's 'what's that' with my response. I'm not sure we'll ever really see much personal responsibility again in our lifetimes. =(

@Agatha - I didn't even think of quite a bit of what you're talking about, but yeah that makes sense. Unless of course they're trying to use this so they can lay off the hall monitors and other such people they could ultimately deem 'useless' if they had other ways to keep track of kids. We've seen a lot of cuts in the education system across the board, wouldn't surprise me if they tried to take more steps toward less people.
Learn more about anime figures and read reviews at my site! (three years and going!)
Or add me on Facebook!

#9 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostIshokuOsero, on 10 October 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

@magishine - Yep, that's how I see it too. Kid doesn't want to use it? Leave it in the locker. Give it to a friend. Whatever. It'd be so easy to put it down and it doesn't help anyone in that case. The only thing that would is if you chipped the kids themselves, and well, let's NOT go down that slippery slope, right? Yikes.

Let's chip them like cattle...should work out alright lol
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#10 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

View Postmagishine, on 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Reminds me of some creepy sci-fi dystopian novel. Hmm.
Or add me on Facebook!

#11 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostIshokuOsero, on 10 October 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Reminds me of some creepy sci-fi dystopian novel. Hmm.

The way the world is going sometimes I think it is something out of a book like that. Wonder if we can get David Lynch to direct to movie adaptation?
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#12 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postmagishine, on 10 October 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

The way the world is going sometimes I think it is something out of a book like that. Wonder if we can get David Lynch to direct to movie adaptation?

Now that's just depressing. =( Though you throw some more things like this into the news in coming months/years, and maybe you're really onto something after all.
Or add me on Facebook!

#13 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yeah. Best not to think about it too much I feel. Let's just worry about....chipping our kids like beef
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#14 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

View Postmagishine, on 10 October 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Yeah. Best not to think about it too much I feel. Let's just worry about....chipping our kids like beef

That inevitably ends up as chipping everyone like beef, because kids become adults sometime, and thoughts like that can only spread.
Or add me on Facebook!

#15 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Unfortunately it's true. Eventually we'll all be chipped in one way or another. Well off to a cave with me then. Wake me when World War III starts
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#16 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm ready for my barcode.

#17 User is online   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

View Postrondo, on 10 October 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'm ready for my barcode.

It could be like Big O. Can I have a Megadeus?
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

#18 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 10 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

People are not animals.

Technically we are, but that's splitting hairs. Hair o' the dog possibly.

*Cannedlaughter.wav*

I don't agree with this mostly due to it being mandatory. That gives conspiracy theorists all the fuel they need to not shut the Hell up for months at a time. Secondly, if you can't keep track of students, then you fail as an educator and/or parent and you must have your supervision cards revoked by me.

With a rusty crowbar.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#19 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Posted ImageChips? Bratty kids these days need tracking brain-marbles.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#20 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostPrayer Police, on 11 October 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Posted ImageChips? Bratty kids these days need tracking brain-marbles.

I love you and Magi.

Like you have to look at the big picture; what about the special needs kids? Its not just limited to regular students if they put this in all the schools or the school in question in the article had special needs kids.

And we are like animals....in a way. Look at our basic instincts and the mentality that men and women can't control themselves, especially the former. We haven't changed from being apes to be honest.

This is also what happens when parents don't take care of their kids and have the teachers do their jobs, but when they try to teach them parents are ready to say "WTF ARE YOU DOING TO MY BABY."

I remember when my mom told tales of getting her butt beat in school for getting into trouble; where are those days?

Surprised Mine isn't here about this.

Seriously mark of the beast the hell.....

EDIT: I'll put that in my nose if you don't put me under hallucinations and give me a boyfriend who is secretly the manager's husband/etc. and wants to kill me.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 11 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#21 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

View Postmagishine, on 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

I love chipped beef on toast. :) On the serious side the US has been issuing passports with RFID chips since 2005.

This post has been edited by opimus.rm: 11 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#22 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

My mother would have killed for this 20 years ago.

...I tended to wander off.
......without asking.
.........and always in new public places.
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#23 User is online   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostWingy Baby, on 11 October 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

My mother would have killed for this 20 years ago.

+1

I liked to wander off to the electronics section in the old Walmart when my mother was not looking.

As for the "mark of the beast" thing, I think they are reaching.
The chip is in a ID card. Now, if the chip had to be planted on/in the skin, I would agree then.

This post has been edited by kahad: 11 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#24 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

I actually like the idea. If a kid feels like they are safe with it go for it. If they don't want to be found just toss it away.
Its not like they are putting the chips into their bodies; its in their ID.
Its pretty much like your phone, someone stole your Iphone? Lets look and see where its at.
But if I was up to no good in school Im pretty sure Id just leave it in my locker and make a new ID,
depending on what it looks like and all that. :mellow:
ACen 14"
Utsuho- From Touhou 100%
404 Cosplay Not Found
*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#25 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Post-JUNK-, on 11 October 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I actually like the idea. If a kid feels like they are safe with it go for it. If they don't want to be found just toss it away.
Its not like they are putting the chips into their bodies; its in their ID.
Its pretty much like your phone, someone stole your Iphone? Lets look and see where its at.
But if I was up to no good in school Im pretty sure Id just leave it in my locker and make a new ID,
depending on what it looks like and all that. :mellow:

The issue it seems a lot of parents and kids have is that it's mandatory. Of course at those super huge schools I'm sure it'd be pretty difficult to really discipline so many students for leaving them in lockers and the like, but that's how it supposedly is. They're already telling them they can't vote for homecoming without the ID, though:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1949415.html

I'm curious to see what they do in the future and how they react to all this media attention going forward.
Or add me on Facebook!

#26 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I don't like the idea that it's mandatory either. Somehow we've gotten this far in education without needing to Big Brother the kids. If I skipped school back in the day (when the buffalo roamed the land), I'd get my butt belted by my pops. That was good enough for me.

If it was my kids, and I was told "Well, if they don't get the RFID tag, they can't vote for Homecoming," I'd just laugh. So what? Homecoming royalty is a popularity contest anyway. Kids are in school to learn; Homecoming is a pleasant distraction.

My kids would be homeschooled anyhow.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"By Gendo"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#27 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I didn't care about any of that crap in school myself. But if they're policing that, I'm wondering if they'll take it further than that. Got my curiosity peaked!
Or add me on Facebook!

#28 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618
  • Location:Barrington, IL - US / London, England - UK )( Sector 7C

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

As someone who is chipped, (and has been for 3 years) it's not bad. I have it programed for my house, work and location. People are just over cautious...
"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#29 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

I think this is a good idea for elementary school kids. They can carry them to school, at school and then on the way home from school. It's a good way to keep track of kids whereabouts during those periods of time.

As far as them carrying the cards at school and commuting to and from school that's ok. If they started to try and enforce it during time spent at home or out playing on the weekends I think that would be wrong.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#30 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 11 October 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

I don't like the idea that it's mandatory either. Somehow we've gotten this far in education without needing to Big Brother the kids. If I skipped school back in the day (when the buffalo roamed the land), I'd get my butt belted by my pops. That was good enough for me.

If it was my kids, and I was told "Well, if they don't get the RFID tag, they can't vote for Homecoming," I'd just laugh. So what? Homecoming royalty is a popularity contest anyway. Kids are in school to learn; Homecoming is a pleasant distraction.

My kids would be homeschooled anyhow.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"By Gendo"

But the issue is that back in your day parents didn't go to jail for belting kids.

Everything now is spoon-feed due to lazy parents and society. Parents use schools as baby sitters. This is good for disabled children and elementary school kids; high school it depends. If it's like my old school that people were beaten in weird areas and they couldn't find them after two-three days then yeah.....but schools with high attendance rates no.

For the homeschool issue look at it like this; do you want your kids to learn about the world and how society is harsh or do you want to teach them all of that yourself and manage a job among other issues of being an adult.

I knew someone in my class who was homeschooled and he went buck wild when he finally went to school in high school.

Someone like me probably would have needed it; I would had been less bitter than the adult I am today. BUT if I was homeschooled I might had been more naive and not learned how stupid people could be in the world.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users