Anime Central Forums: Tokusatsu 2013 panels - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tokusatsu 2013 panels live action Super-Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Metal series, etc

#1 User is offline   touma_karamochi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5472

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thought I'd start the thread for tokusatsu panels :D

I know I'm planning on an Intro to Tokusatsu panel, and our second annual Tokusatsu Tropes. I've also been made aware that members of Rajio-Nihon, as well as certain toku-podcasters, will be attending this year's ACen, so I'm thinking we'll have a meet-and-greet (of sorts) panel, or a 'what it's like to make a podcast' panel. (hint: it may sound easy, but it's not)

Will there be others who are planning on attending, or may submit their own panel? ^_^

Don't forget, I've got a photo-shoot thread going on in Gatherings so we can hopefully beat the number of tokusatsu cosplayers at Otakon this past year as well :shuriken: :pirate2:
Panels at ACen 2013:
*More Raiding the Boys' Toybox: Girls who like Tokusatsu 2 (Approved!)
*Ultraman: Space Paladins(Approved!)
- Toku-Photoshoot 2014 - Sat Afternoon

#2 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Sweet glad yu all are coming back loved your panels.
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#3 User is offline   touma_karamochi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yay, thank you :)

So far, we've submitted 'Tokusatsu Tropes' for another year. We have also submitted a new panel, 'Raiding the Boys' Toybox: Girls who like Tokusatsu', since most of the time it's a bit hard finding fellow female fans of tokusatsu. Maybe it can be taken for different kinds of anime as well, the 'traditional male shows' are being watched by female fans. This new panel will also point out different aspects of how the Japanese shows are changing through the years to entice more types of viewers, esp given the fact that some Japanese mothers tend to watch the shows with their children, for example.

One other panel idea we are working on to submit is 'Making a Podcast', though we're going more for a tokusatsu bent, I don't know if other groups may submit something similar or not. We may even record a podcast at ACen, but have to see how many people can come to the panel if it is approved.
Panels at ACen 2013:

#4 User is offline   touma_karamochi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

(Sorry to do reposting, but due to the schedule...)

I am happy to see quite a few panels devoted to Henshin-Tokusatsu, and not just the two I'll be doing - Raiding the Boys Toybox: Girls who like Tokusatsu (which is Friday night at 6), and Tokusatsu Tropes (Sunday morning). :pirate2:

There's also two panels before ours on Friday, Toku for Beginners and Advanced Toku. Around the time the con starts, there's a Kamen Rider panel. Then, around 4pm at Garage C is the Toku photo-shoot(though it looks like it happens during the Advanced Toku panel). Later that evening there's another Kamen Rider Panel (which follows my friend Cortney's panel about Anime on the Stage, which tends to have toku actors in the musicals and whatnot).

Saturday there's a staff-given panel about Godzilla, and then Sunday is the Tokusatsu Tropes panel and another Godzilla panel.

I hope we can meet a lot of fellow toku fans :thumbup: It's always cool to talk with everyone and learn how they like toku and what they like, as well as play with and see some of the many toys like Rings, Memories, Medals, Keys, Henshin Devices, and perhaps a Zero-Eye or two... ^_^
Panels at ACen 2013:

#5 User is offline   touma_karamochi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Again, sorry for the double-posting, but I am curious what people thought of all the tokusatsu panels that were held this weekend, and not just the two I co-hosted. I tried to attend them all, but sometimes I had to attend to my nephew, so... :unsure:

Any questions, concerns, criticisms? Anything else you'd like to see for next year? Thanks to everyone who attended the panels, and special thanks to those who hosted the panels :thumbup:
Panels at ACen 2013:

#6 User is offline   therobd 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 10739

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I attended the Tokusatsu Tropes panel earlier today, though I unfortunately had to duck out around 11 to check out at my hotel. Overall, I enjoyed what I saw:

Things I liked:

- The panelists clearly knew their stuff. You were throwing around references to lots of shows, and (at least for the Venn diagram of shows referenced and shows I've seen) they were all referenced properly.

- The clips you chose made me want to watch the shows. I haven't really enjoyed the Ultra stuff I've seen, but the Mebius clip you showed piqued my interest enough to make me want to give it a try. This is no easy task after my viewing of Towards the Future. :P

- The array of toys and the audience interaction helped give me a little more personal involvement than I would have otherwise.

Things I would have changed:

- The audio needed to be louder. Maybe I'm just experiencing late-con deafness, but I'm not even sure the audio was coming from the tv instead of the laptop. With 90 minutes in the panel, an ACen techie probably could have solved this problem.

- I'm aware this eats up time that you may not have had, but it would have helped to have the clips cut in advance instead of having to navigate through the episode. It's distracting and takes away from the panel when clips aren't optimized for the point you're trying to convey.

- This is a way more subjective point, and I'm not even sure if it would even work in practice, but TVTropes has somewhat standardized names for tropes in fiction at this point, and I thought it might have been helpful to include an "AKA" point to your slides if we want to browse TVTropes for examples of the fictional devices you're describing.

- The Decade hate. :( ...Eh, who am I kidding? It was a trainwreck, even if All Riders vs Dai Shocker was fun fanservice. I still love my Decadriver, though!

All that said, I enjoyed the half-panel I saw. Not surprising, as I usually do enjoy toku panels done by your group. :) I would gladly go to this panel again to see the whole thing and any other future panels of yours that my ACen schedule allows for.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users