• This topic is locked

When is fat...fat anymore?

#1 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

So for a while now I've been pondering an issue and I'd like everyone's opinions. As with the topic title says, it deals with obesity. America is known for its huge number or vastly overweight people. Tho in America itself, it seems we are moving in a more "accept people "way. Just today,while getting ready for work, I had the T.V. on the Today show. They had a segment on about having bigger clothes for little girls. That's good. I know how hard it is to find clothes. (Correction. None boring clothes) But an issue was brought up with it being called plus sizes. (Yes I can understand why) And then there is the term full figured. I believe there is such a thing, and it's not bad. But ive seen some really overweight folk using that term. (Sorry for using only female cases, but there are more coping words for females then males. However im meaning both genders since obesity affects us all.) Diet and exercises are trying to overcome, but it's not widespread enough. I also understand genetics and health issues such as thyroid problems, im meaning moreso the lazy folk. (Even tho there is medicine to combat it, but I'll leave it be.)

Anyway my question...when are we accepting people for being big...or when are we coddling them?

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 04 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#2 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Double post

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 03 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#3 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

This is what happens when the majority of the population is fat.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

What really Xeno? I thought that a size 6 was "fat," in some people's eyes. I remember reading an article that anything that wasn't a size 0 or lower was fat in this country, compared to other countries.

I think when you can't get out of the house and you weight like 600+ pounds you are fat. My mom is like 200 pounds from her medication and lack of exercise, while I am around 130-140 and she drinks water and eats better than I do. Yeah she's fat but she's mostly just....rolly to be honest.

Sometimes being fat is genetics but if you are 500-600 pounds it's not. When it's a major health issue it's a problem being fat, just like it's a problem being skinny.

The reason why we are under fire is because:

-We are a superpower

-Genetics

-We work to live not the other way around

-Bad time management

-Stress

Combine all of that and you will see a lot of fat and unhealthy people who are stressful and work to survive and the reason why people say this country is fat in general.

I mean it has to be all of that: the UK eats as much Mcds as us, in the Philippines they play more video games than us, and Japan has the worse Mcds in the world along with salt content in food.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 03 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Society has made obesity more and more acceptable. I'm pretty sure the CDC itself has changed the obesity threshold a number of times already (as in increasing the minimum number you need to be considered obese).

This post has been edited by NinjaJedi007: 03 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#6 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

A lot of the problem is what is called "glamour sizing". Glamour sizing is the act of putting a smaller label into a larger sized garment which gives people, mostly, women, the false belief that they are smaller than they actually are. There is also inconsistancies in sizing. In one store you may be a 4 and another a size 8. I'm a size 14...I can wear Tripp pants...in size 7... they fit the same. However, this mislabing can lead to a different body image. You wear 7s...you must not be fat....when in reality, that 7 is actually a muuuch larger size.

The big thing is this: if it starts affecting your health or your way of life...then yes, you are too fat. But just because you have a bit of chug or a spare tire doesn't make you fat. We aren't all sticks and honestly, Heidi Klum needs to eat a sandwich or seven...Skinny is JUST AS UNHEALTHY
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#7 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

The funny thing is, at least, in the media that I consume and in the people I know, I've seen both extremes happening at once - people criticizing anyone who's a healthy, non-skeletal weight as being morbidly obese, while at the same time also insisting that someone who IS actually morbidly obese is just a little big-boned. I find it funny to see both viewpoints existing at the same time, from the same person, but I also imagine that it probably says something really warped about our culture and body image...

#8 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostAgatha, on 03 September 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

The funny thing is, at least, in the media that I consume and in the people I know, I've seen both extremes happening at once - people criticizing anyone who's a healthy, non-skeletal weight as being morbidly obese, while at the same time also insisting that someone who IS actually morbidly obese is just a little big-boned. I find it funny to see both viewpoints existing at the same time, from the same person, but I also imagine that it probably says something really warped about our culture and body image...

I have to admit our culture is the most screwed up and strangest in the world.

I guess it comes from being a melting pot; only country that has a Luther burger that you can get with a side of "bull testicals," and a drink of Durian juice.

While in Japan, it's hard to get a real deep dish pizza that isn't made of squid ink or sweet sauce.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#9 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 03 September 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Sometimes being fat is genetics but if you are 500-600 pounds it's not. When it's a major health issue it's a problem being fat, just like it's a problem being skinny.

Actually, that's not true. In most cases, people that large can be attributed to genetics. In very few cases will you find people that large from just over-eating. If you do, it's usually a neurological disorder that doesn't signal when the person is full, or an emotional disorder in which the person eats when under stress or when upset.

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 03 September 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

A lot of the problem is what is called "glamour sizing". Glamour sizing is the act of putting a smaller label into a larger sized garment which gives people, mostly, women, the false belief that they are smaller than they actually are. There is also inconsistancies in sizing. In one store you may be a 4 and another a size 8. I'm a size 14...I can wear Tripp pants...in size 7... they fit the same. However, this mislabing can lead to a different body image. You wear 7s...you must not be fat....when in reality, that 7 is actually a muuuch larger size.

The big thing is this: if it starts affecting your health or your way of life...then yes, you are too fat. But just because you have a bit of chug or a spare tire doesn't make you fat. We aren't all sticks and honestly, Heidi Klum needs to eat a sandwich or seven...Skinny is JUST AS UNHEALTHY

I agree completely with the "glamour sizing" thing. I've had a few male coworkers complain to me about how women have to try on fifteen different pants in different sizes to find ones that fit. That's because every company sizes differently, and a lot can be contributed to this. For christ's sake, I'm an XS in Sonoma, when in most other brands I'm a solid M, and small at the most.
However, skinny CAN be just as unhealthy but just because someone is very thin doesn't make them so. Every body is different. I know somebody personally who is convinced that he is completely unhealthy and gross looking because he is naturally very thin. I know he's naturally this way because I've seen him eat. He eats just as much as any normal person, and is perfectly healthy. But society has convinced him that he's "too skinny". It's really a matter of being healthy: exercising, eating well, maintaining stress, etc.
The body will follow and take on the its natural shape, whatever that may be.

However, I will say in response to Xeno's post, that being several hundred pounds is NOT the natural body of anybody. And the coddling IS cause for concern. Parents should be encouraging their children to be conscious of the body. Not in a negative way, but to be in tune with what they're putting in it, what they're doing to it, and how it makes them feel.I think that alone would help with the weight problem in the U.S.
And while that may be true, Fujoshi, what you said about food in Japan....it's quite hard to find anything there without five times the amount of sodium needed in the diet. Unless you eat fresh foods, which the same goes for any place.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#10 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostKii, on 03 September 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Actually, that's not true. In most cases, people that large can be attributed to genetics.

This is certainly a factor but, in my opinion, enablers are just as responsible. Lets think about those documentaries about the 900 lb man (or other variations of the show). Yes, certain people may legit not know when to stop eating but there comes a certain point where they can't get this food themselves. This is an extreme example but all I'm saying is that the people around us still have a big impact on how we lives our lives.

This post has been edited by NinjaJedi007: 04 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#11 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 03 September 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Honestly, I think sizes should just all be in inches (even tho clothing inches arent the exact inches you are unless it is form fitted) Tho I'd imagine there would be a big stink about that. Might make a few women more hesitant because knowing the inch size might make them more embarrassed. I didn't know til just recently what's the sizes meant.

Also I agree. Being a lil bigger isn't too bad. (Tho that "spare tire" is actually in itself a health risk. That's visceral fat, and with more visceral fat, increases chances for developing diabetes. (Type 2 specifically) Having the "perfect " body isn't a requirement. Having a lil extra is okay too. If you are exercising and eating decent, then it's fine. However, if you are not, thwn it will be an issue. There is no other way to say it. It is just a fact. And yeah the people who are skinny (super that is) that do so by malnutrition and eating an abnormally small amount are unhealthy, but what urks me (no offense, not saying you did this) is when bigger people try to justify themselves or just point and blame skinner people out. (If someone is naturally skinny, that's just as bad as someone bashing a bigger person. I have a friend who is barely 100, and they eat normally, but can't gain weight. They are healthy, just they have a really good metabolism.) The same thyroid issue can also have the reverse effect. It's true that some skinny people are unhealthy, but at times, it can just sound like jealousy by how one says it.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#12 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Actually, that's not true. In most cases, people that large can be attributed to genetics. In very few cases will you find people that large from just over-eating. If you do, it's usually a neurological disorder that doesn't signal when the person is full, or an emotional disorder in which the person eats when under stress or when upset.

I agree completely with the "glamour sizing" thing. I've had a few male coworkers complain to me about how women have to try on fifteen different pants in different sizes to find ones that fit. That's because every company sizes differently, and a lot can be contributed to this. For christ's sake, I'm an XS in Sonoma, when in most other brands I'm a solid M, and small at the most.
However, skinny CAN be just as unhealthy but just because someone is very thin doesn't make them so. Every body is different. I know somebody personally who is convinced that he is completely unhealthy and gross looking because he is naturally very thin. I know he's naturally this way because I've seen him eat. He eats just as much as any normal person, and is perfectly healthy. But society has convinced him that he's "too skinny". It's really a matter of being healthy: exercising, eating well, maintaining stress, etc.

However, I will say in response to Xeno's post, that being several hundred pounds is NOT the natural body of anybody. And the coddling IS cause for concern. Parents should be encouraging their children to be conscious of the body. Not in a negative way, but to be in tune with what they're putting in it, what they're doing to it, and how it makes them feel.I think that alone would help with the weight problem in the U.S.
And while that may be true, Fujoshi, what you said about food in Japan....it's quite hard to find anything there without five times the amount of sodium needed in the diet. Unless you eat fresh foods, which the same goes for any place.

This.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#13 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 03 September 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

So for a while now I've been pondering an issue and I'd like everyone's opinions. As with the topic title says, it deals with obesity. America is known for its huge number or vastly overweight people. Tho in America itself, it seems we are moving in a more "accept people "way. Just today,while getting ready for work, I had the T.V. on the Today show. They had a segment on about having bigger clothes for little girls. That's good. I know how hard it is to find clothes. (Correction. None boring clothes) But an issue was brought up with it being called plus sizes. (Yes I can understand why) And then there is the term full figured. I believe there is such a thing, and it's not bad. But ive seen some really overweight folk using that term. (Sorry for using only female cases, but there are more coping words for females then males. However im meaning both genders since obesity affects us all.) Diet and exercises are trying to overcome, but it's not widespread enough. I also understand genetics and health issues such as thyroid problems, im meaning moreso the lazy folk. (Even tho there is medicine to combat it, but I'll leave it be.)

Anyway my question...when are we accepting people for being big...or when are we coddling them?

Obesity is considered a ‘hush hush’ topic in the United States. Our culture is in a phase where it is afraid at the possibility of offending someone thus causing a since of feelings of inferiority. However, my companies nutritionist, PhD doctor, insists that 99.9% of obesity is self-onset (medications do not cause individuals to be obese… that is just a generally accepted excuse… medications may cause water weight absorption, a ballooning effect and this is not a major amount of weight). If you intake 2300 calories a day, and your body naturally burns off 1900 and an additional 400 in exercise they cancel each other out and it is impossible to gain weight. Overconsumption and ill exercise habits are the only culprit’s not fatty foods.

Obesity is one of the leading tax payer burdens in the United States. In 2010, Diabetes Type 2, not to be confused with type one, is generally considered to be an obesity onset and cost the taxpayers over $450,000,000,000 (four hundred and 50 billion dollars). This is just one of many burdens and health costs. Moreover, people wonder why health insurance is so expensive.

To accept Obesity? I don’t think that is the best course of action to take. Pushing individuals to strive to lose weight, bettering themselves, their health, and their offspring’s health (yes, obese individuals have a much higher chance to have offspring with health risks)is essential for a progressive future.

A nation is only as strong as it's citizens.

#14 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 04 September 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Obesity is considered a ‘hush hush’ topic in the United States. Our culture is in a phase where it is afraid at the possibility of offending someone thus causing a since of feelings of inferiority. However, my companies nutritionist, PhD doctor, insists that 99.9% of obesity is self-onset (medications do not cause individuals to be obese… that is just a generally accepted excuse… medications may cause water weight absorption, a ballooning effect and this is not a major amount of weight). If you intake 2300 calories a day, and your body naturally burns off 1900 and an additional 400 in exercise they cancel each other out and it is impossible to gain weight. Overconsumption and ill exercise habits are the only culprit’s not fatty foods.

Obesity is one of the leading tax payer burdens in the United States. In 2010, Diabetes Type 2, not to be confused with type one, is generally considered to be an obesity onset and cost the taxpayers over $450,000,000,000 (four hundred and 50 billion dollars). This is just one of many burdens and health costs. Moreover, people wonder why health insurance is so expensive.

To accept Obesity? I don’t think that is the best course of action to take. Pushing individuals to strive to lose weight, bettering themselves, their health, and their offspring’s health (yes, obese individuals have a much higher chance to have offspring with health risks)is essential for a progressive future.

A nation is only as strong as "its" citizens.

If you're going to end on that kind of note, it's important to be grammatically correct.

It's absurd that you're blaming the high cost of American health care on obesity. Matthias Rumpf from the OECD has something to say on the matter:

"The same set of hospital interventions (including the normal delivery of a baby, a Caesarean section, a hip or knee replacement, etc.) cost 60 percent more in the United States than in a selection of other countries. Similarly, 50 high-selling pharmaceuticals cost 60 percent more in the United States than in Europe. But the United States also uses a lot of expensive diagnostic tests, such as MRI and CT scans, and performs a lot of interventions where it is not always clear-cut whether the procedure is necessary or not -- tonsillectomies, knee replacements, and so on. On the other hand, perhaps surprisingly, the U.S. does not have many doctors relative to its population, not many hospital beds, and people do not spend long in hospital when they have to be admitted. Overall, therefore, high prices are the main reason for high health care spending in the United States."

NEWSHOUR: In which areas is the U.S. particularly lacking?

MATTHIAS: "The primary care system -- the network of family doctors and clinics that people can go to when they first think they have a health problem, and that can advise people on how to stay healthy -- is underdeveloped in the United States. This is bad for people's health, but also raises overall costs. For example, most people with diabetes, asthma or difficulties in breathing (COPD) should not need to be treated in hospital. They require monitoring, but this does not need to happen in hospitals, it is something that the primary care system should manage. It is far cheaper for a family doctor to check that people are following their treatment properly and that it is appropriate, than for things to go wrong and someone to be admitted to hospital as an emergency. Greater attention to the primary care system is urgently needed in the United States."

And just in case you're not convinced, The Washington Post has a similar take on the issue of health care costs in America: http://www.washingto...himR_story.html
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#15 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

This is why I am giving everyone life size cutouts of myself for Christmas.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.

#16 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hey I mentioned about Japan's salt in one of my comments. I was going to post about MSG in most of their foods as well as the Hetalia PV about salt in general but I thought most people had the general idea.

Heck I'll do it anyway: Homeland and salt

Really? Most cases I seen of people weighting that extreme was due to years and years of over eating and just plain ignorance and/or depression.

Also I don't agree with you Mine; the problem is that this country is based on image, like a lot of societies in the world. And a lot of people think that fat or obese people are not attractive compared to skinny people, among other self concious issues. So that's why people don't even bother with the topic and it's hush hush. It's like the whole thing with politics/religion/race/etc. You get freaking tired of people complaining/whining/etc. about the same things and the same subjects over and over again so you don't bother to say or bring it up. It's easier to give in and just turn a head than argue with someone over the same thing in a lynne like cycle.

There was a hentai that really proved Kii's point with about a fat person going from fat to skinny and it was hilarious.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#17 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 04 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

A nation is only as strong as "its" citizens.

If you're going to end on that kind of note, it's important to be grammatically correct.

It's absurd that you're blaming the high cost of American health care on obesity. Matthias Rumpf from the OECD has something to say on the matter:

"The same set of hospital interventions (including the normal delivery of a baby, a Caesarean section, a hip or knee replacement, etc.) cost 60 percent more in the United States than in a selection of other countries. Similarly, 50 high-selling pharmaceuticals cost 60 percent more in the United States than in Europe. But the United States also uses a lot of expensive diagnostic tests, such as MRI and CT scans, and performs a lot of interventions where it is not always clear-cut whether the procedure is necessary or not -- tonsillectomies, knee replacements, and so on. On the other hand, perhaps surprisingly, the U.S. does not have many doctors relative to its population, not many hospital beds, and people do not spend long in hospital when they have to be admitted. Overall, therefore, high prices are the main reason for high health care spending in the United States."

NEWSHOUR: In which areas is the U.S. particularly lacking?

MATTHIAS: "The primary care system -- the network of family doctors and clinics that people can go to when they first think they have a health problem, and that can advise people on how to stay healthy -- is underdeveloped in the United States. This is bad for people's health, but also raises overall costs. For example, most people with diabetes, asthma or difficulties in breathing (COPD) should not need to be treated in hospital. They require monitoring, but this does not need to happen in hospitals, it is something that the primary care system should manage. It is far cheaper for a family doctor to check that people are following their treatment properly and that it is appropriate, than for things to go wrong and someone to be admitted to hospital as an emergency. Greater attention to the primary care system is urgently needed in the United States."

And just in case you're not convinced, The Washington Post has a similar take on the issue of health care costs in America: http://www.washingto...himR_story.html

Oh noes! I made a grammar mistake on my cellphone! I must go to confession! Eh, actually I am far too lazy to proof read a text style submission.

Let me rephrase that: It’s absurd that you’re actually think I am blaming the high cost of American health care solely on obesity; however, ultimately, obesity is indeed part of the equation. Furthermore, this is not a topic about healthcare costs.

So quick to judge… I hope you do not end up on jury duty!

#18 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 September 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Hey I mentioned about Japan's salt in one of my comments. I was going to post about MSG in most of their foods as well as the Hetalia PV about salt in general but I thought most people had the general idea.

Heck I'll do it anyway: Homeland and salt

Really? Most cases I seen of people weighting that extreme was due to years and years of over eating and just plain ignorance and/or depression.

Also I don't agree with you Mine; the problem is that this country is based on image, like a lot of societies in the world. And a lot of people think that fat or obese people are not attractive compared to skinny people, among other self concious issues. So that's why people don't even bother with the topic and it's hush hush. It's like the whole thing with politics/religion/race/etc. You get freaking tired of people complaining/whining/etc. about the same things and the same subjects over and over again so you don't bother to say or bring it up. It's easier to give in and just turn a head than argue with someone over the same thing in a lynne like cycle.

There was a hentai that really proved Kii's point with about a fat person going from fat to skinny and it was hilarious.

I'll have to disagree with you somewhat. I do agree with Mine with America being over sensitive. I believe that is part of the problem. America loves to coddle instead of dealing with issues head on. (For example, look at 4kids. We ALL here know about 4kids and the crap they pull. Lots of senseless censoring and removal of culture (why?) Is not showing a gun going to make kids not want to use it? Or is showing the dangers of a gun and the damage it could better?) This very fact is why I made the topic. I feel like there is just too much coddling. Image is definitely part of the problem, but just with many other issues here, it's the "avoiding stepping on toes" before anything else. I'm surprised the Freedom of Speech amendment hasn't been amended to say Freedom of Speech, unless you hurt someone's feelings.

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 04 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#19 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

If someone is so heavy that they can't walk through a grocery store without because their legs can't take it. They are too fat. There are people who can be obese but can still be active in everyday life, (people with giantism are a prime example) but then there are just 400 pound blobs of flesh that can barley move around and then want ME to pay for their healthcare and social sercurtiy because THEY can't work. Those are the fat people.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#20 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 04 September 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'll have to disagree with you somewhat. I do agree with Mine with America being over sensitive. I believe that is part of the problem. America loves to coddle instead of dealing with issues head on. (For example, look at 4kids. We ALL here know about 4kids and the crap they pull. Lots of senseless censoring and removal of culture (why?) Is not showing a gun going to make kids not want to use it? Or is showing the dangers of a gun and the damage it could better?) This very fact is why I made the topic. I feel like there is just too much coddling. Image is definitely part of the problem, but just with many other issues here, it's the "avoiding stepping on toes" before anything else. I'm surprised the Freedom of Speech amendment hasn't been amended to say Freedom of Speech, unless you hurt someone's feelings.

People don't want to deal with anything head on unless it has to deal with them. What most people do is that they just ignore it and go "well whatever I don't care," at this point. Even "coddle." Even use false words that maybe the person can leave them alone to their bubble. As long as it doesn't directly bother them they don't care how the person acts or what a person does. That's what I meant by the second part Xeno; you get so tired of stuff that you don't want to even be bothered with it any more and just let the person do whatever the hell they want. They look good in their own eyes.

So not all the time it's "stepping on toes," they just don't want to deal with the problem and rather not think about it or put it off so it doesn't go against their bubble or mojo. Or in terms of censorship; if we restrict this then some dumb A won't do something stupid and sue and blame it on us!

The people that do care about other people's "feelings," are false. They just don't want to deal with someone butt hurt or angry. The few that are actually do are rare.

So this sad country is a combination of image and selfish self center tribe mentality.

Example: My uncle gets drunk and acts crazy; throws stuff, calls people names, even at his own mom in the past, etc. Now people in my family say "oh he's just drunk it happens all the time." The man doesn't want to change and they don't have to deal with him directly so they say crap like that and do nothing.

4kids is a horrible example! They just hate Japan period. They changed around the voices for Zexal! Even Kaito's whistle; I loved that scene and they ruined it >.<

Or better yet; if you don't want fat people have everything organic, nothing that has MSG or trans fat at all, have every school require gym/swimming until you graduate from college, and shut down big monopolies like Mcdonalds and clean up the lower minority areas that have Harold's chicken places and regulate everything to the point that there is no steroids/etc. in anything. But that's too much money lost and way too much effort! And it's against the constitution because "people want to do what they want and yolo."

One thing I don't understand is how fat people are not helping the economy. They are helping someone; it's the monopolies and big businesses that they spend their money on and they sure as heck are not going to give it back to the country. Same with the people who buy coffee every day for 4 dollars.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 04 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#21 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 04 September 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

If someone is so heavy that they can't walk through a grocery store without because their legs can't take it. They are too fat. There are people who can be obese but can still be active in everyday life, (people with giantism are a prime example) but then there are just 400 pound blobs of flesh that can barley move around and then want ME to pay for their healthcare and social sercurtiy because THEY can't work. Those are the fat people.

I watched a obese man take a Handicapped parking spot at the Red Lobster the other day; he obviously had the handicapped parking because he was obese… he walked perfectly fine. However, moments later, a family pulled up. With no handicapped parking spaces available they were forced to unload their daughter, appearing to be around 12ish, on the side of a busy street. The whole experience was obviously considerably more difficult and it was simply sad. A poor girl in a wheelchair, fortunately (perhaps unfortunate) enough to have her mind helpless due to her lack of mobility was detoured (dangerously) because the self-entitled ignorant obese man.

Not to sound disrespectful in anyway… it just bothered me a lot, it took quite a lot to not say anything to the large man.

#22 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Fat is in the eye of the beholder.

#23 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 September 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

People don't want to deal with anything head on unless it has to deal with them. What most people do is that they just ignore it and go "well whatever I don't care," at this point. Even "coddle." Even use false words that maybe the person can leave them alone to their bubble. As long as it doesn't directly bother them they don't care how the person acts or what a person does. That's what I meant by the second part Xeno; you get so tired of stuff that you don't want to even be bothered with it any more and just let the person do whatever the hell they want. They look good in their own eyes.

So not all the time it's "stepping on toes," they just don't want to deal with the problem and rather not think about it or put it off so it doesn't go against their bubble or mojo. Or in terms of censorship; if we restrict this then some dumb A won't do something stupid and sue and blame it on us!
The people that do care about other people's "feelings," are false. They just don't want to deal with someone butt hurt or angry. The few that are actually do are rare.

So this sad country is a combination of image and selfish self center tribe mentality.

Example: My uncle gets drunk and acts crazy; throws stuff, calls people names, even at his own mom in the past, etc. Now people in my family say "oh he's just drunk it happens all the time." The man doesn't want to change and they don't have to deal with him directly so they say crap like that and do nothing.

4kids is a horrible example! They just hate Japan period. They changed around the voices for Zexal! Even Kaito's whistle; I loved that scene and they ruined it >.<

Or better yet; if you don't want fat people have everything organic, nothing that has MSG or trans fat at all, have every school require gym/swimming until you graduate from college, and shut down big monopolies like Mcdonalds and clean up the lower minority areas that have Harold's chicken places and regulate everything to the point that there is no steroids/etc. in anything. But that's too much money lost and way too much effort! And it's against the constitution because "people want to do what they want and yolo."

One thing I don't understand is how fat people are not helping the economy. They are helping someone; it's the monopolies and big businesses that they spend their money on and they sure as heck are not going to give it back to the country. Same with the people who buy coffee every day for 4 dollars.

Im not disagreeing with that. But that just isn't the main issue. Yeah people rather avoid situations that may get sticky (to keep things simple and to avoid crap) but hurting someone's feelings is a grave evil here. People will be quick to call you a bigot if you have a differing opinion. Look at it this way. Look at how the word blunt is concieved. Most people would view it as a semi negative trait. For example. "Oh Nate is a good guy, but he is kinda blunt." Most people would say it like that. And blunt is just telling what one honestly feels. Truth without lies. But why then is blunt seen as a semi negative trait? That's what im getting at. And with this topic concerned, it's more about hurting feelings then just not wanting to deal with it. (Btw you mentioned other countries not liking their obese as much, well no other country cones close to us in obesity. Of course you are going to be against it if there isn't much. Other countries don't have an image issue, moreso just thinking that person is lazy and a slob. Just ask someone what they think about Americans. Specifically the overweight.)

Also 4kids was a good example (they don't hate japan. They wouldnt waste time being a localization company if that were true. That's the complaint of overly angry anime folk. It's more a trying to avoid explaining things and Americanize stuff. And there is the censoring. That's why i brought it up. Even American shows do the same. Laser guns instead of real ones. Low blood (if any) avoidance of death. (Btw Japan...japanizes too. Look at Spiderman and tmnt there.)

Also with the obese people stunting the economy. Yes they pay for food and stuff, (and stuff the fat cats pockets, but thats another issue)but it's the health problems. And if you eat fast food a lot, chances are you are not financially stable. Which in turn leads to no health insurance. Which in turn leads to adding burden on tax payers. Which leads to lower spending and a slower economy.

(Ill probably edit this later if i remember. Im at work and hate to cliffnote this. Typed it out via phone lol)
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#24 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Teel;Deer:

Fast food is more of a convenience and a force of habit, which is another issue, so I don't agree on part of that statement.

I worked with people who had condos and expensive houses at my last job (even the convention job I worked at,) and I was the few that would bring home cooked meals or stuff I bought from supermarkets, those microwave meals. Or udon noodles.

75% of my co-workers rather eat Mcdonalds, Jimmy Johns, Subway, Taco bell, etc. around my job for lunch than anything else because it was there and convenient. Was they financially stable? Who knows but probably yes, since in my mind being financially stable is not having to struggle to make ends met by begging people for money or having to sell stuff just to pay your bills or skipping meals because you don't have any money to do so after bills. Being stable enough to spend your money on whatever you want and whatever you chose. It doesn't mean that you are spending your money smart, but you are stable enough to do so.

One lady in question had a house, three kids, and was the manager of my job and used to brag how much money she made and she bought Starbucks almost everyday and complained how my gyazo 'stanked,' to high heaven and that it was poisoned and even complained to the high ups. Now she wasn't fat at all; she said she needed that coffee and was "addicted," to Starbucks or Mcdonald's coffee. Which ever was open and less crowded.

Actually now that you mention it....the people who did that were not fat at all. (BTW this was the flagship store downtown BR, which is why there was so many fast food places.)

I was the one without good health insurance so I had to make my own meals to save money; I had to struggle with two jobs and no health insurance. They refused to bring in their own meals because they didn't want to look, "cheap or bad." Self image. Yeah I'm hating because that money could go towards the community or this country, not from some rich CEO's pocket.

So fast food for some people is from a habit of eating it all the time, convenience, or addiction. For me I either can not eat all day if I am out or eat fast food for lunch/dinner/breakfast that one time. So the people making money are the people in the food industries and not this country. Lack of health insurance for fat people? This is new to me; I have more issues getting health insurance than a fat person would and I get UTIs often.

It's sure enough like that here. I see a lot of teenagers and skinny people in Mcdonalds, especially minorities, than obese or fat people.

Where did you get that only non financially stable people eat fast food from? Or maybe it's your state like the issue with women, especially black women.

Maybe some fat people eat too much home cooking from the people who coddle them; if you eat too much fried chicken and grits and greens yeah you will get fat. I know people in my family did from chitterlings. UGH. I always laugh that people think that fat people are fat because of fast food; it's from their family members buying unhealthy choices, cooking unhealthy choices, and eating unhealthy choices from habit or depression.

I don't know Xeno: I asked people about how they view us, like Hispanics and Pinoys in the game I played, and they think that Americans are lazy, stupid, and ignorant. Not really fat and obese and/or nasty; just weeaboos and arrogant idiots who need to be put down a peg. Oh and war hungry.

off topic: I talk to them daily since the PHP rate in the Philippines is a lot better than the dollar rate here. They basically earn about 10-20 USD for a job.

I still think it's race and genetics too because look at Japan; not a lot of fat people over there, Mcdonalds is worse over there with it's fat/mass content, and they have 7-11s all over the place as well as street food. But PE is common place as well as activities.

Well there is a difference about being "blunt," and being an a hole.

If I call you the N word for no reason but because I viewed it based on bias views, would it be because I was blunt or just being an A hole? People don't know the line at all, so we rather be fake then be punched in the face. Once again, being self centred, not being nice. I was called a bigot because they thought I was a bigot based on what I said online and because their viewpoints and morals were 'tweaked' and what do you do when that happens? Call people names! "I'm mad so I must call you NAMES to make myself feel better!"

Another example: my ex bf is blunt but he puts down people to look cool and because he is self concious about himself, so he has to prep himself up. I was one of the few that knew this because I was around him for eight+ years. He doesn't do it to be "real," he does it in a term of power and control. Heck not everyone is like this but that's an example of a blunt person who is just an a hole.

You Xeno are not an a hole. Just blunt because you rather not sit back and self image yourself into something fake.

Seriously I would love to met a person who coddle someone or held back without trying to get some self gain or self preservation. Never met them yet. My grandmother was close.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 05 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#25 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 04 September 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Oh noes! I made a grammar mistake on my cellphone! I must go to confession! Eh, actually I am far too lazy to proof read a text style submission.

Let me rephrase that: It’s absurd that you’re actually think I am blaming the high cost of American health care solely on obesity; however, ultimately, obesity is indeed part of the equation. Furthermore, this is not a topic about healthcare costs.

So quick to judge… I hope you do not end up on jury duty!

Here, let's revisit your earlier post:

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 04 September 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Tell me again why it's absurd.

#26 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Here, let's revisit your earlier post:

Tell me again why it's absurd.

How much is the military budget?

#27 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostIsamu, on 07 September 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

How much is the military budget?

The military budget is astronomically high.

http://www.usgovernm...pending_30.html

in 2010, Defense spending accounted for 20% of our government's total budget.

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 07 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

#28 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 07 September 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

The military budget is astronomically high.

http://www.usgovernm...pending_30.html

in 2010, Defense spending accounted for 20% of our government's total budget.

You have the stats for other countries too like London/Japan?

I want to compare data.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#29 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 September 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

....Of course there's a hentai about that. Of course.

View PostDark Stranger, on 04 September 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

Idk, I think "fat" starts before then.

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 September 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

And it's against the constitution because "people want to do what they want and yolo."

i just had a triple bypass YOLO #swag

Why all of this talk of taxes and how fat people cost you this much money or affect you in a certain way?What about fat people?
They pay taxes, too. And if the government is not going to tax ya'll to take care of fat people, then they'll just find something else to tax you on. They're going to get their money, either way.It's not like they only tax skinny or in-shape people.
That aside, I really think it's important to remember that most overweight people do not want to be that way, regardless of how much people try to glamorize it or coddle them, people know that they don't feel or look good. And as much as the media has tried to "glamorize" obesity as of late, it's no where near as much as it glamorizes being thin. We still don't see any normal sized people sashaying around runways or appearing in magazines. If we do, it's a huge deal. Even with movie stars....with NORMAL SIZED people, they get interviewed and it's something like "How do you feel about being an average sized person in an industry full of gorgeous and toned celebrities"? Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games, X-Men First Class) has had to defend her weight in several interviews.
My point is, it's not a cakewalk being overweight. Yeah, they may cost you a few cents a check that you would undoubtedly spend on something totally worthwhile, but I don't think most of them mean to inconvenience you so much.
This discussion has spiraled into that most welfare discussions spiral into. "People are just lazy and they want to be poor and live off of the meager checks the government sends them!"

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#30 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

@Kii: Found it:

[Taropun] Fatness Lover

Fat guy goes from fat to skinny by having sex with his childhood crush. He gained weight due to his metal state and she helped him out.

..............I wonder if fat people had sex every day for two months or longer would they lose weight?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users