• This topic is locked

Which one is better? laptop wise

#1 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Ok I need some serious tech help please; which computer would be a better choice to get?

Asus laptop

This Hp

That Hp

Gateway laptop

Random facts:

I need to run flash programs and otome games, such as katawa shoujo. The most I might do is run and download emulators and use alcohol to burn cds. I do not use torrents, just basic downloads and I occasionally upload.

The computer I have now is only 1gb of ram and 148 gb of space and I have about 98 gb of space left. It lags but runs ok. I don't use a lot of space. I just need enough so that it doesn't crash/lag constantly.

The most I might play is ragnarok offline and a few pc games like Batman. Most of my major gaming is on the PS3.

Last computer I had was a toshiba and it ran perfectly but I can't afford to buy it now.

Also I heard that Asus and Acer computers were no good and Hp computers are known to overheat so....I seriously need some clarification on this.

Also what's the best method to import stuff to my new computer from my old one?

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 25 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#2 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm actually leaning toward the ASUS. I'm not sure who said that they're no good, but they're excellent machines. (Acer isn't all bad either - their desktops and some of their newer laptops are good.) Plus, their warranties are wonderful - "their" meaning ASUS, not Best Buy's.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 25 July 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

I'm actually leaning toward the ASUS. I'm not sure who said that they're no good, but they're excellent machines. (Acer isn't all bad either - their desktops and some of their newer laptops are good.) Plus, their warranties are wonderful - "their" meaning ASUS, not Best Buy's.

I was leaning towards the Asus one as well so I googled all of the laptops before hand and I heard that Asus and Acer are suppose to have horrible customer service and even the high end computers have issues like keys falling off, which made me wonder what would happen if I get a more low end computer. I have no experience with them at all so this is based on the internet. The only laptops I had in the past were dells and one Toshiba and so far the Toshiba has been the best. Also I might need this laptop for a year or so until I can get another one or an upgrade so it has to last a minute.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 25 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

My asus desktop lasted forever until I overheated the damn thing.
Still used a lot of parts that survived in it's reincarnation. :>
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#5 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62574

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I had two toshiba laptops, one hp and one Sony.

Both of the toshiba broke down within a year or so. My second toshiba is still working but the LCD have some connection problems so I cannot see anything unless I connect it to an external LCD.

My Sony laptop (cost around 1.4k when I brought it back then) is still working too (even after 6 years), although the specs are worthless nowadays.

My Hp laptop (pavilion dv7 6187cl) I have almost used it for a year. Got it from sam's club with tax exempt. Quite cheap (1.1k) for the specs. (Although my friend got his a month afterward online with discount code.... allowed him to have around the same price but better specs with the graphics). From my experience, the fan does get noisy when I play games or open 46 (I counted it) browsers at once. Other than that, the laptop is golden. I have yet to experience overheating but it does get hot when I open 46 browsers AND play games. I used to open vmware with it and the laptop handled it beautifully. Hp and sam's club customer service is also good. This is actually my second one. When I got the first one off sam's, I noticed that I can feel electricity and went on the Hp forum. The customer rep there was helpful. I eventually brought the laptop back to sam's for an exchange (which is done quick and efficiently). Found out second laptop is the same and eventually I found out my AC socket was giving out too much electricity. I then used an AC extension cord to fix the problem.

Thus, from my experience. Get a Sony if you can afford one. They're not noisy, not that hot and certainly durable. The sony is not noisy either. However, they ARE costy.

On to my suggestion with your laptops.

First of all, bestbuy is a ripoff! The cost of the laptop is pricy regardless of the specs if you buy them from bestbuy. You will most likely get better laptops at cheaper rates elsewhere.

Second, try to find online coupons and buy them directly from the manufacturer. Sometimes that save a whole lot. You can always put the coupon there and then check the price it will cost to buy it and then compare it with similar laptops with similar specs. My friend got that 30% off hp coupon and made his laptop around my price with better specs in the graphics department. Most of the coupon codes are online, just google them.

Now to begin review of your four laptops.

The $630 is obviously the better choice (you can figure why it cost 640 while the rest cost around 330). The 6gb memory will allow you to run much more stuff. Seeing as how windows 7 already takes up almost 1 gb memory and the pre-loaded factory apps of the laptop (I never bothered deleting them and it's a pain to do that... you can get rid of them all if you reinstall a clean windows 7 though) will take lets say half a gb of memory. Thus, just by having the laptop on, 1.5 gb of memory is being used constantly. That said, it is always better to use more memory if you want to run lots of stuff at once. My laptop oftentimes use around 5gb worth of memory (I open WAYyyyyy tooo much stuff). Also, the laptop comes with beats audio (mine does too) which is great. There's two extra audio outputs in the front which you can turn on or off. The beats audio makes watching stuff on the laptop wayyy more comfortable. Sound quality is very high.

If you are planning to only run a few vn and games one at a time while also doing some light surfing (by that, I mean not opening 46 browser tabs like myself), all of the laptops should fit your requirement. There really isn't that much of a difference in specs between them (the 320s) -- a reason why the price of them are so similar. The acer might have 500gb hdd but the speed of the hdd is still 5.4k rpm so it don't really do much good. You can have some more stuff but your laptop won't be any faster. That said, if you compare them with the 320gb from bestbuy, you can tell by what I mean that bestbuy overprice their junks.

That said, I can give you a review of the looks of the hp laptop (if you have only seen it online). The dv6 will come looking shiny, metalish aka brushed aluminum. Do note that the aluminum can fall off and when it does, the interior is black. The left side of mine where I usually lay my hand when playing games have encountered that problem. The 14" pavilion will come in a plastic looking. Kinda dull and not really stylish. The touch sensitive keypad will also feel like those popped out dots for blind people instead of being smooth.

My suggestion is to get the Asus. It looks nice and you don't really need the dv6 to run what you want to run. My other suggestion is to look online to see if you can find cheaper laptops or try other stores than bestbuy.

The best way to transfer would be to buy some kinda wire to directly connect two computers together and transfer them. I have yet to try such a method. The wire should cost you around 15 bucks or so. Just go to some store and ask them. You should be able to find them at bestbuy for sure.

The other way, which is how I usually do it, is to buy external hdd and put files onto hdd and put the hdd onto other laptop and transfer files. It's just like having a extra large capacity flash drive. I do it this way since I have 4 external hdds and I store extra files on them too.

The last way that I know if is to store the files online and then download them.

#6 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostWingy Baby, on 25 July 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

My asus desktop lasted forever until I overheated the damn thing.
Still used a lot of parts that survived in it's reincarnation. :>

Hey Wingy-san if I get an Asus then would I have to buy a cooling unit? I run my computer a lot and my old one now overheats to the point that it gets hot but it doesn't do anything but lag really really badly with the external fan under it (that I need to replace because it's no good anyway.)

I hate to buy one and then it craps out on me because my house gets too house or I use the laptop too much heh.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#7 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 25 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hey Wingy-san if I get an Asus then would I have to buy a cooling unit? I run my computer a lot and my old one now overheats to the point that it gets hot but it doesn't do anything but lag really really badly with the external fan under it (that I need to replace because it's no good anyway.)

I hate to buy one and then it craps out on me because my house gets too house or I use the laptop too much heh.

Hello. I am not Wingy san but I am surfing the forums before going to sleep...

I suggest you to buy an oversized battery if you laptop can come with a oversized battery that allows the laptop to pop out and not touch whatever surface (if you are planning to use it as a desktop and not on your laps). I don't know about asus though. Never owned one.

A cooling unit is essentially a fan or two. I had one. I can affirm you that they ARE noisy -- like all fans -- and that it is a pain to move the laptop around on it.

#8 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have a gaming HP I won, and within a year of owning it, ALL the fans have COMPLETELY burned out. It's currently winging its way back to HP for repairs. Thank god for warranties. It gets so hot, I have gotten first degree burns on my leg before without realizing it. (I won a raffle, paid $10, won a $1700 laptop. only reason I have it.)

To be honest, all these "laptops" are pretty crappy. They're not going to be great for running a lot of flash based stuff (hint: lots of video work = lots of overheating).

With laptops you get what you pay for. If you want to go cheap, you'll get something cheap.

for my money the best out there is a Fujitsu lifebook, but they are not cheap. However, I've had one for 7+ years and it still works.

Go through the manufacturer directly, or a site like newegg, tiger direct, even dell.com has good prices on laptops that aren't Dells.

As for transferring, some companies will do it for you for a nominal fee, I'm guessing you are just going to transfer files, in that case all you have to do is set it up so you have a shared folder, and drag and drop. That won't work for installed programs, but it will work for files. You can do it over wireless or wired. I just did it to back up my laptop before I sent her in.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostJames, on 25 July 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Hello. I am not Wingy san but I am surfing the forums before going to sleep...

I suggest you to buy an oversized battery if you laptop can come with a oversized battery that allows the laptop to pop out and not touch whatever surface (if you are planning to use it as a desktop and not on your laps). I don't know about asus though. Never owned one.

A cooling unit is essentially a fan or two. I had one. I can affirm you that they ARE noisy -- like all fans -- and that it is a pain to move the laptop around on it.

Actually I have a fan right now and in fact it's not noisy just really crappy; sorry I missed your post. It was pretty long and useful but the forum system (?) didn't make it show up when I responded so I did not ignore you! owo.

I had issues with dells personally; almost all of them had the blue screen of death after a while and one died while I was trying to defrag it. I have went through four-five dell laptops in less than two years. The Toshiba I bought was actually from best buy, 1000 dollars, and survived being knocked over, by a relative, and even with a cracked end it still worked pretty well until it got stolen by, ironically enough, a computer shop owner whom I am still trying to work out sueing among the problems in life. I played all of the games mentioned on that laptop but could not play Dreamcast emulators full screen XD Also Blazblue could not run on my laptop without lagging (but that it what my PS3 is for.)

I go on pixiv and I could translate otome games, which is what I am going to use this pc manly for.

I live in Chicago so outside of Target, Walmart, and Best buy, there isn't a lot of computer stores per say still around since those giants have bought out all the small computer shops, and the laptop I use currently was actually from a computer shop as well lol For some reason they overcharge more than Best buy; I went to them to transfer data from my now stolen Toshiba and they wanted to charge like a good 50-100 dollars more than Best buy. So if you know any suggestions I can go to find any good ones let me know. But so far I'm stuck with buying a laptop from a store or Amazon or the manufacture.

@Myrla: The issue is that I can't dish out a good 1000 dollars for a laptop right now; I simply don't have the money for it right now. Moving and bills come first but my laptop in question might die so and I don't want to lose a lot of files. The most is maybe 600 and that's a stretch. 400-500 is good for me. The flash game I play in question is DDtank Among a few other facebook games using a rp/fake account. Also I go on pixiv.

I did look up what Fujitsu was, because I never heard of such a company, and so far they seem pretty nice. I might consider buying the laptop before the school college sales are over.

EDIT: Great I just missed the sale ._. It looks like it won't start again until after I move >< And HP seems to be out since what you said about the overheating applies to what other people mention about hp laptops overheating. So so far I might buy either the Asus or a Fujitsu depending on the sale. I checked Sony and so far they are outside of my price range by 50-100 dollars.

Going to try the External HDD route and the wire to transfer data so I can keep a backup.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 26 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#10 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

View Postmyrla, on 26 July 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

I have a gaming HP I won, and within a year of owning it, ALL the fans have COMPLETELY burned out. It's currently winging its way back to HP for repairs. Thank god for warranties. It gets so hot, I have gotten first degree burns on my leg before without realizing it. (I won a raffle, paid $10, won a $1700 laptop. only reason I have it.)

To be honest, all these "laptops" are pretty crappy. They're not going to be great for running a lot of flash based stuff (hint: lots of video work = lots of overheating).

With laptops you get what you pay for. If you want to go cheap, you'll get something cheap.

for my money the best out there is a Fujitsu lifebook, but they are not cheap. However, I've had one for 7+ years and it still works.

Go through the manufacturer directly, or a site like newegg, tiger direct, even dell.com has good prices on laptops that aren't Dells.

As for transferring, some companies will do it for you for a nominal fee, I'm guessing you are just going to transfer files, in that case all you have to do is set it up so you have a shared folder, and drag and drop. That won't work for installed programs, but it will work for files. You can do it over wireless or wired. I just did it to back up my laptop before I sent her in.

Anything you get for free is usually crappy... however... who told you to look at a gift horse's mouth?

I have been told of hp overheating.... didn't really experience that yet... My laptop is 17inch and is not really meant for the lap anyways. I always put it on a desk so what the heck. That said, hp gives you a decent price for the specs. Try other brand and you can expect %500 more minimum for my specs. Try apple and that would cost $3k.

Fujitsu huh, made me google it. Quite costy. Around the same price as other meant for gaming laptop brands... I don't know about you... but I want my laptop's specs to last at least 2 to 3 years or so without upgrading it much. Rather, who the heck upgrades a laptop? Once it retires, it retires. Desktop is easy to upgrade since the specs are huge... but laptop eh? nahhh

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 26 July 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Actually I have a fan right now and in fact it's not noisy just really crappy; sorry I missed your post. It was pretty long and useful but the forum system (?) didn't make it show up when I responded so I did not ignore you! owo.

I had issues with dells personally; almost all of them had the blue screen of death after a while and one died while I was trying to defrag it. I have went through four-five dell laptops in less than two years. The Toshiba I bought was actually from best buy, 1000 dollars, and survived being knocked over, by a relative, and even with a cracked end it still worked pretty well until it got stolen by, ironically enough, a computer shop owner whom I am still trying to work out sueing among the problems in life. I played all of the games mentioned on that laptop but could not play Dreamcast emulators full screen XD Also Blazblue could not run on my laptop without lagging (but that it what my PS3 is for.)

I go on pixiv and I could translate otome games, which is what I am going to use this pc manly for.

I live in Chicago so outside of Target, Walmart, and Best buy, there isn't a lot of computer stores per say still around since those giants have bought out all the small computer shops, and the laptop I use currently was actually from a computer shop as well lol For some reason they overcharge more than Best buy; I went to them to transfer data from my now stolen Toshiba and they wanted to charge like a good 50-100 dollars more than Best buy. So if you know any suggestions I can go to find any good ones let me know. But so far I'm stuck with buying a laptop from a store or Amazon or the manufacture.

@Myrla: The issue is that I can't dish out a good 1000 dollars for a laptop right now; I simply don't have the money for it right now. Moving and bills come first but my laptop in question might die so and I don't want to lose a lot of files. The most is maybe 600 and that's a stretch. 400-500 is good for me. The flash game I play in question is DDtank Among a few other facebook games using a rp/fake account. Also I go on pixiv.

I did look up what Fujitsu was, because I never heard of such a company, and so far they seem pretty nice. I might consider buying the laptop before the school college sales are over.

EDIT: Great I just missed the sale ._. It looks like it won't start again until after I move >< And HP seems to be out since what you said about the overheating applies to what other people mention about hp laptops overheating. So so far I might buy either the Asus or a Fujitsu depending on the sale. I checked Sony and so far they are outside of my price range by 50-100 dollars.

Going to try the External HDD route and the wire to transfer data so I can keep a backup.

My fan was not noisy until after 2 months or so of using it. Then it just sounds like a fan. Even after cleaning it it still sounds like a fan. I also live in chicago and I can affirm you that there's a thing known as the internet and online shopping. So unless you want the laptop right away, give or take a week or two and you will get them send to your house with more variety and better pricing.

Ummm, I usually never take my laptop to the shop unless something major happens that I can't fix myself or find the way to fix it. Spend a couple hours messing around, save yourself tens of dollars.

Just spend some money and buy a external hdd and transfer all your files to that. Even if your laptop dies, your files are still there. If you don't have much files, just get yourself a flash drive or store them online in the cloud.

600 bucks would normally give you a decent laptop that could do most stuff. Of course, if we are talking about apple, 600 bucks would give you a laptop that have the specs of a laptop that cost 250.

300 bucks would give you a laptop that could stay up to date for around a year or two. After that, you should be planning to change a laptop since the requirements for the specs to use certain stuff nowadays will be way over the capacity the laptop can handle. Of course, if you do nothing but surf the net, the laptop is still lovely... just crappy.

400-500 doesn't really have much of a difference between them with the 300 or 600. Just a few minor upgrades such as better graphics by a bit (resolution almost never changes since if they do, the laptop would be in the 700 price range at least), a little bit more hdd space, maybe 1 or 2 gb memory difference, processor might be a tad bit faster or slower (you won't notice the difference at all).

Just get a 300-400 bucks laptop since you are not doing anything that requires a laptop to be 600 bucks or higher. If the laptop could last you a year without breaking, then it is already worth the money. If it didn't last a year, your manufacturer warranty usually covers it so just send it back for them to fix. Simple.

#11 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostJames, on 26 July 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

My fan was not noisy until after 2 months or so of using it. Then it just sounds like a fan. Even after cleaning it it still sounds like a fan. I also live in chicago and I can affirm you that there's a thing known as the internet and online shopping. So unless you want the laptop right away, give or take a week or two and you will get them send to your house with more variety and better pricing.

Ummm, I usually never take my laptop to the shop unless something major happens that I can't fix myself or find the way to fix it. Spend a couple hours messing around, save yourself tens of dollars.

Just spend some money and buy a external hdd and transfer all your files to that. Even if your laptop dies, your files are still there. If you don't have much files, just get yourself a flash drive or store them online in the cloud.

600 bucks would normally give you a decent laptop that could do most stuff. Of course, if we are talking about apple, 600 bucks would give you a laptop that have the specs of a laptop that cost 250.

300 bucks would give you a laptop that could stay up to date for around a year or two. After that, you should be planning to change a laptop since the requirements for the specs to use certain stuff nowadays will be way over the capacity the laptop can handle. Of course, if you do nothing but surf the net, the laptop is still lovely... just crappy.

400-500 doesn't really have much of a difference between them with the 300 or 600. Just a few minor upgrades such as better graphics by a bit (resolution almost never changes since if they do, the laptop would be in the 700 price range at least), a little bit more hdd space, maybe 1 or 2 gb memory difference, processor might be a tad bit faster or slower (you won't notice the difference at all).

Just get a 300-400 bucks laptop since you are not doing anything that requires a laptop to be 600 bucks or higher. If the laptop could last you a year without breaking, then it is already worth the money. If it didn't last a year, your manufacturer warranty usually covers it so just send it back for them to fix. Simple.

Yeah that is what I am going for; a laptop for around a year or two. I am hoping by then I get another job and another laptop. I don't need something for 7+ years, just something that won't break if I accidentally go on the wrong website or a relative knocks it over or it gets too hot and burns itself. And not a Dell.

I am tech savy but the issue in question was that my charger port inside of my computer was broke and I didn't want to open up my computer if it was a major issue outside of the metal getting broke inside of my laptop. Best buy said they would charge 100+ dollars and the guy in question said 60 dollars. Too good to be true! If I had more computer knowledge I would had fixed it myself ^^;

Hahaha I mostly shop online but I used to support computer shops in Chicago like the one on 35th street among other areas near IIT. So what do you suggest by "in a week or two?" do you have any idea behind that?

I thought about waiting but that Asus makes me wonder if I can find a better deal. So far that's the cheapest and it has decent specs.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 26 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#12 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 26 July 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Yeah that is what I am going for; a laptop for around a year or two. I am hoping by then I get another job and another laptop. I don't need something for 7+ years, just something that won't break if I accidentally go on the wrong website or a relative knocks it over or it gets too hot and burns itself. And not a Dell.

I am tech savy but the issue in question was that my charger port inside of my computer was broke and I didn't want to open up my computer if it was a major issue outside of the metal getting broke inside of my laptop. Best buy said they would charge 100+ dollars and the guy in question said 60 dollars. Too good to be true! If I had more computer knowledge I would had fixed it myself ^^;

Hahaha I mostly shop online but I used to support computer shops in Chicago like the one on 35th street among other areas near IIT. So what do you suggest by "in a week or two?" do you have any idea behind that?

I thought about waiting but that Asus makes me wonder if I can find a better deal. So far that's the cheapest and it has decent specs.

A year or two, just get a $300, simple. Going to the wrong website is easily fixed... just prepare to spend a few hours fixing it. Google is always there as a tutorial source. Put it on a desk, will never get too hot to burn your thighs. If it burns itself, check your manufacturer warranty, usually last a year when you purchase it, and have them fix it.

Fixing a desktop is easier than fixing a laptop. I'd give the 100 bucks if the laptop is worth it. The charger port inside the laptop would require them to take open the laptop... and if you're not familiar with taking over stuff, be prepared to break it. Truth be told, the charger port would cost around 20 bucks already. Fixing them takes skills. Skilled work takes money... So 60 bucks isn't bad. 100 bucks is okay. However, the question lies in should you waste 100 to fix a laptop that have only 1gb worth of ram and 148gb memory. The laptop itself isn't even worth 100 bucks.

Hmmmm, I have a tax exempt card for sam's (10-15min drive to cicero on i55) and thus just brought my laptop and a few others off there. If you think about it, no tax. That's 10% saved from tax. I don't know about computer shops.... sorry (heck, I even go to IIT and never heard of this shop at 35th.... ohh well, I'm not a social person and never pay attention to my surroundings).

A week or two is if you want to buy a good laptop and get the best pricing for your money. That means to spend two or three days looking at laptops, promotions, discounts etc. I do remember hp giving the free xbox discount before. A classmate of mine got that and sold the xbox. Then waiting a week or two for the laptop to arrive to your house.

However, those discounts are usually for pricier laptops...

Just take that Asus... simple... it should last a year...

This post has been edited by James: 26 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

#13 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostJames, on 26 July 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

A year or two, just get a $300, simple. Going to the wrong website is easily fixed... just prepare to spend a few hours fixing it. Google is always there as a tutorial source. Put it on a desk, will never get too hot to burn your thighs. If it burns itself, check your manufacturer warranty, usually last a year when you purchase it, and have them fix it.

Fixing a desktop is easier than fixing a laptop. I'd give the 100 bucks if the laptop is worth it. The charger port inside the laptop would require them to take open the laptop... and if you're not familiar with taking over stuff, be prepared to break it. Truth be told, the charger port would cost around 20 bucks already. Fixing them takes skills. Skilled work takes money... So 60 bucks isn't bad. 100 bucks is okay. However, the question lies in should you waste 100 to fix a laptop that have only 1gb worth of ram and 148gb memory. The laptop itself isn't even worth 100 bucks.

Hmmmm, I have a tax exempt card for sam's (10-15min drive to cicero on i55) and thus just brought my laptop and a few others off there. If you think about it, no tax. That's 10% saved from tax. I don't know about computer shops.... sorry (heck, I even go to IIT and never heard of this shop at 35th.... ohh well, I'm not a social person and never pay attention to my surroundings).

A week or two is if you want to buy a good laptop and get the best pricing for your money. That means to spend two or three days looking at laptops, promotions, discounts etc. I do remember hp giving the free xbox discount before. A classmate of mine got that and sold the xbox. Then waiting a week or two for the laptop to arrive to your house.

However, those discounts are usually for pricier laptops...

Just take that Asus... simple... it should last a year...

Yes that was my problem. I can't buy a desktop because of the situation in my house right now so I'm stuck with laptops.

Oh no the charger port that broke was for the 1000 dollar laptop I bought a year or so ago from best buy. This one I bought from a computer shop when that one was stolen. It was 150-160 and it wasn't suppose to last this long and I'm surprised that it did.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and your information!

Btw the computer shop is near the plaza where Popeyes is on the lower end of 35th and King drive, so if you never seen it before it's understandable, since 35th and King drive used to be a bad part of town before they built the condos there.

Mods I'm done; you can do whatever you want with this. I have enough feedback and I'm happy. Thank you everyone.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 27 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#14 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

*looks around*
*shrugs*
Leaving it in case someone else has a similar question eventually.
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#15 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

For my 2 cents:

I got an IBM 360D many many years ago (factory refurb) and it lasted many years. (I did have to replace the floppy drive once due to a bad disk that chewed it up [bought replacement off eBay], then the something else went but I just swapped the hard drive into another cheapo 360D I had picked up as a parts machine and that lasted a bit longer until I retired it - Win95 so it's days were numbered). I still have it (somewhere) and I suspect it still works.

I "upgraded" to a Lenovo R61i with XP and I'm still using it (in fact I'm using it right now). The battery life now sucks so it's only for office use.

I have also purchased an ASUS Netbook with a nice 10-or so hour battery life (Win7 Starter) for mobile use. (Great for use at ACen in 2011 and 2012.) My one gripe is the placement of the right shift key.

Not had a problem with either the Lenovo or ASUS as yet. You can probably skip any "extended warranty" plans unless you get one that's real expensive.

Bear in mind I don't do gaming or streaming. Mostly email and other "officey" tasks.

I know a certain DH with a gripe about his laptop's video card being so slow that when he's gaming he gets hit by the bad guy before he knows it - something to consider if you do games is video specs, which you may have to dig for as they don't always list them in the ads. Get lotsa RAM.
This space intentionally left blank.

#16 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Note: I went to Best buy and ask a ton of questions and funny enough I bought an open item. It's brand new, no smug marks or missing keys or anything for around 300; i3 processor, 4gb and 500gb. It's a Dell but it looks and runs pretty nice. I had a choice between that or a similar toshiba model but since I didn't look up what model that was I just decided on the dell, which I was more comfortable with and my first voice was telling me to buy.

I am setting it up myself since BB said they would charge me 100 to import data, not counting scanning the old data, and setting up the anti virus. I should have it finalized by today or tomorrow.

But with a computer bag and tax I ended up paying about 320 for it.

So the only difference between open models and regular versions is that one has an open box and the other doesn't, in this case. Same warranty, no extended unless you pay like 20-100 dollars, you still are covered by the manufacturer, both have power cords, books, boxes, etc.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 30 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#17 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Bear in mind there are many free utility (including anti-virus) programs out there. They may pester you with offers to upgrade to a (usually low cost) "pro" version that does more, but in most cases the basic versions do all many people need. Check user reviews, bearing in mind some "users" are actually shills for the company.
This space intentionally left blank.

#18 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

if you want antivirus, i suppose you can get the free ones (avast and avg) online or I can send you my code for my school's McAfee. That said, open box or not, it don't really matters as long as it works. I have done shipping truck unloading before (work at michaels as a replenishment assosciate) and oftentimes we drop items since they stack them so high. Thus, you never know if the box have been dropped...

You can also torrent them for free... I just torrented skyrim and prototype 1 and 2...

This post has been edited by James: 31 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

#19 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostJames, on 31 July 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

if you want antivirus, i suppose you can get the free ones (avast and avg) online or I can send you my code for my school's McAfee. That said, open box or not, it don't really matters as long as it works. I have done shipping truck unloading before (work at michaels as a replenishment assosciate) and oftentimes we drop items since they stack them so high. Thus, you never know if the box have been dropped...

You can also torrent them for free... I just torrented skyrim and prototype 1 and 2...

The guy was pretty cool about it; he gave me anti virus/spywear/etc. for free and reduced the price on everything for about a good 30-40 dollars off (since I bought a toshiba EHD.) He wasn't a sale member either; he actually worked in geek squad. He didn't pressure me into buying anything else and even gave me the low down on why he thinks that some computers overheat.

My new laptop is as smooth as oil and it runs nicely. I'm just afraid that my family might attempt to break it (by downloading crazy stuff,) so I'm trying to reconfigure the old one so they can use that and I just stick with the new one.

I actually worked in stock and I seen the backgrounds of what happen to clothing, clothes on the floor, clothes stacked in the stock room with bugs, etc. so I am weary of wearing anything out the door from a store now unless it is packaged and know that even the new items might not be 100% 'new'.

Advice for future laptop hunters: Ask a crapload of questions and look up models. Bug the workers with questions and don't be afraid; it's their job to help you out. Look at sales papers and go to a few different stores.

If you gut is going toward a laptop then get that then. Also set a budge; figure out exactly what you want and don't be distracted by the flashy stuff and the buttons. It may be 1k but it doesn't mean it works better than say the 300-400 dollar laptop. Check out all the laptops, even the open models. There is a lot of open end models that were better than the newer stuff and people simply put them down because it wasn't shiny in the box (or maybe they wanted to be the first ones that touch it like a virgin?)

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 31 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#20 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 31 July 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

The guy was pretty cool about it; he gave me anti virus/spywear/etc. for free and reduced the price on everything for about a good 30-40 dollars off (since I bought a toshiba EHD.) He wasn't a sale member either; he actually worked in geek squad. He didn't pressure me into buying anything else and even gave me the low down on why he thinks that some computers overheat.

My new laptop is as smooth as oil and it runs nicely. I'm just afraid that my family might attempt to break it (by downloading crazy stuff,) so I'm trying to reconfigure the old one so they can use that and I just stick with the new one.

I actually worked in stock and I seen the backgrounds of what happen to clothing, clothes on the floor, clothes stacked in the stock room with bugs, etc. so I am weary of wearing anything out the door from a store now unless it is packaged and know that even the new items might not be 100% 'new'.

Advice for future laptop hunters: Ask a crapload of questions and look up models. Bug the workers with questions and don't be afraid; it's their job to help you out. Look at sales papers and go to a few different stores.

If you gut is going toward a laptop then get that then. Also set a budge; figure out exactly what you want and don't be distracted by the flashy stuff and the buttons. It may be 1k but it doesn't mean it works better than say the 300-400 dollar laptop. Check out all the laptops, even the open models. There is a lot of open end models that were better than the newer stuff and people simply put them down because it wasn't shiny in the box (or maybe they wanted to be the first ones that touch it like a virgin?)

All laptops runs smooth until warranty expires... If it doesn't, it can be replaced and/or fixed.

Guess females have it nice... I remember going to bestbuy to help some guy buy a desktop. The sales dude wasn't helpful at all and act like he didn't give a screw. Asked him to get the desktop and there's a ladder right over there and he went to chat with some other sales woman for some ten fifteen minutes... btw, another reason why best buy sucks is the restocking fee. if you open the package, they charge you 15% or something...

I wear clothes right away... they seemed fresh even if others have tried them on... I mean, afterall... I'm not really interested in washing them if they're not dirty...

I don't see a reason why to ask a crapload of questions... most of those are obvious... laptops are specs, if the specs are good and the price is good, then it's worth it. Brand is secondary. I do not understand why people buy worse specs macs for 1k more the cost. Compare the specs and compare the price. See which is a better deal. If you don't do things your laptop can't handle and takes good care of it, the laptop will last you a few years.

No, 1k laptop, unless mac, should for sure have better specs than one that is 300-400 bucks. You won't notice any difference unless you do things that requires tons of memory, graphics, or processor speed. Most of those will be related to gaming... Also, the quality of the sound from beats audio that is on hp laptops are amazing... so... yeah... 1k does worth more due to those.

that said, your deal isn't bad. Should run around 380-400 elsewhere.

ps. I am one of those dude who prefer to be the first one to touch it like a virgin. Although, it is only a preference and I can deal with it...

ohh damn, I became a lurker

This post has been edited by James: 31 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

#21 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Lenovo > all.

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 08 August 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Lenovo > all.

Hey this thread is pretty much dead unless you have something on topic since the mods decided to keep it open. Not like "OMG this computer is better than X." Computers are mostly based on people's opinions. I know people who love Dells but I hate them due to my bad experience with them. So there is no best system like how there is no "Best video game system ever1111!!!!!1" or "BEST POKEMON EVER."

Despite the arguments, this isn't 4chan.

Well imo James if it works I don't care if it's new or old except for video games. Why? Because a lot of video games I seen from gamestop were straight up in horrible/bad condition and they were selling them used. But that's gamestop, the company that sells opened video games as "new," anyway.

Even then some video games you can not buy new unless you want to pay out the butt for, (such as Devil summoner 1 or some Harvest moon video games or Super Mario 3.) EDIT: I rather buy a used copy of Devil summoner for 20 dollars than a new copy for close to 150 dollars.

For clothes, I've worked in stock and straight up seen them fall on the floor and people step on them (in discount section,) and gather under stock room shelves that haven't been dusted since the store open and you wouldn't want to wear something like that would you? Or in one case, we seen bugs coming out of some stock clothing from Taiwan/Philippines. It wasn't a roach and we had a laugh and couldn't figure out what in blazes it was.

Whoops freaking you out; disregard that.

And no the Best buy I went to was downtown on Canal. I'm a girl and I don't get slack; I have been ignored before by sales members and even straight up lied to, which is why I ask tons of questions no matter what I buy. What X associate might say isn't the same or the truth of Y associate. It might be because I worked in stock and had people tell customers on the floor that we didn't have X item or Y item does that and it was a total lie.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 08 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users