Anime Central Forums: Theater shooting - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Theater shooting How to deal with the new judgements on us.

#31 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

One annoying thing is the Joker reference used constantly. Didn't the Joker have green hair? Also, while reading some articles about this person..I see the video game slant has reared its ugly head again. I guess I can't be surprised though.

#32 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postrondo, on 23 July 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

One annoying thing is the Joker reference used constantly. Didn't the Joker have green hair? Also, while reading some articles about this person..I see the video game slant has reared its ugly head again. I guess I can't be surprised though.

Yes, because when you play GTA, your first instinct is to go out and pretend it's real. *snort*

Let's just hope he wasn't a Bleach fan. Someone is sure to say that he was inspired by Ichigo, what with the orange hair and all...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Tite Kubo made me do it"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#33 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 24 July 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Yes, because when you play GTA, your first instinct is to go out and pretend it's real. *snort*

Let's just hope he wasn't a Bleach fan. Someone is sure to say that he was inspired by Ichigo, what with the orange hair and all...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Tite Kubo made me do it"

Ichigo never used an automatic.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#34 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

People always need something to blame when things go horribly wrong. It's just human nature. It is human nature to pick out the little things that make a person different from the norm of society and state emphetically that "this is what caused it". Painball caused it. Doom caused it. Batman caused it. DC Comics caused it. Bullying caused it. Drugs caused it. Poor gun control law caused it. Etc Etc. The list goes on and on. People naturally want to find the cause so that they can do something about it and maybe such things won't happen again. However, in all those cases, none of the non-normative social interactions were the reason behind it. We, as a society, may never know why this person did this truly terrible thing. Perhaps it will come out in the court case. Perhaps not.

The thing to do now is to stay strong as a community. We are not the problem. Our fandoms are not the problem. And the best thing we can do as Cosplayers, Anime fans, Steampunks, Gamers, Dollie People, Etc...is to reach out a hand in friendship and kindness to those in Colorado. Send them your love and your prayers (in whatever religion or non-religion you practice). And continue to support each other in our community. We are strong together and as I have said before: this too shall pass.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#35 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 24 July 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

People always need something to blame when things go horribly wrong. It's just human nature. It is human nature to pick out the little things that make a person different from the norm of society and state emphetically that "this is what caused it". Painball caused it. Doom caused it. Batman caused it. DC Comics caused it. Bullying caused it. Drugs caused it. Poor gun control law caused it. Etc Etc. The list goes on and on. People naturally want to find the cause so that they can do something about it and maybe such things won't happen again. However, in all those cases, none of the non-normative social interactions were the reason behind it. We, as a society, may never know why this person did this truly terrible thing. Perhaps it will come out in the court case. Perhaps not.

The thing to do now is to stay strong as a community. We are not the problem. Our fandoms are not the problem. And the best thing we can do as Cosplayers, Anime fans, Steampunks, Gamers, Dollie People, Etc...is to reach out a hand in friendship and kindness to those in Colorado. Send them your love and your prayers (in whatever religion or non-religion you practice). And continue to support each other in our community. We are strong together and as I have said before: this too shall pass.

You'd think though after so many blame games through the years all being proved wrong, you'd think they'd wise up about the hysteria about any sort of refencere to anything right off the bat.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#36 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yeah... the only thing I can think of is if they ment Riddler.... he had orange hair in some forms....
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#37 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostIsamu, on 24 July 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Isamu, you're using these things called "logic" and "common sense." Therefore, you cannot ever get a job as a member of the media or as a politician.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Stop it, man! You're supposed to be hysterical!"

BEAR CAV!

#38 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Terrible tragedy; those people were just there to watch a movie and it's horrific that this happened.

Something a bit more heartwarming in the wake of such events:

http://news.yahoo.co...-213923887.html
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#39 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 23 July 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Nobody has said it's the parents fault. They just said it wasn't a good idea and bringing up how people just can't bring their kids to EVERYTHING they do. Nobody is trash talking them or saying they derserved it. Heck that wasn't even the reason I made the thread in the first place.

Why even bring it up, then? I know it isn't why you made the topic, as you didn't even mention it in the original post. However, others are having an entire discussion about it (or were) and it's completely inappropriate. I don't care where you think children should or should not be. That's your prerogative. These parents had every right to take their children wherever they please, as long as it doesn't intentionally put them in harms way. This was supposed to be a movie theater, not a war zone. It was a misfortune for everyone involved, and had nothing to do with where babies should or should not be. For all of you that want to play house, or act like you know the first thing about being a perfect parent, screw you.
End of story.
On the case as well, however, I've heard that they're trying insanity claims. This kid was perfectly capable of assessing right and wrong. He is (was) a Ph.D candidate in neuroscience for heaven's sake.
Also, Christian Bale visited the victims in Denver hospital, which is amazing. What a cool guy.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#40 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

He did have green hair, in all forms, always. Which is why I was baffled as well, being a long-time Batman fan. My only conclusions are that he a) made the connection with Joker as being a clown, most of which are potrayed with red hair or b ) he just dyed his hair a crazy color and the media is connecting this with the joker for a story.
Either way, he did say " I am the Joker" which is why they are referencing it. Makes me think he was highly inspired by the Joker and his attitude towards chaos in "The Dark Knight". Not to say this is uncommon....it's the most highly quoted movie in at least the last decade.
"Why so serious?"
There will always be crazies like this. As the general public we cannot let this define the rest of the geek/nerd/whatever subculture we identify with. As someone said: people are always looking for something or someone to blame. But we can't let that misjudgment define who we are.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#41 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostKii, on 25 July 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

Why even bring it up, then? I know it isn't why you made the topic, as you didn't even mention it in the original post. However, others are having an entire discussion about it (or were) and it's completely inappropriate. I don't care where you think children should or should not be. That's your prerogative. These parents had every right to take their children wherever they please, as long as it doesn't intentionally put them in harms way. This was supposed to be a movie theater, not a war zone. It was a misfortune for everyone involved, and had nothing to do with where babies should or should not be. For all of you that want to play house, or act like you know the first thing about being a perfect parent, screw you.
End of story.
On the case as well, however, I've heard that they're trying insanity claims. This kid was perfectly capable of assessing right and wrong. He is (was) a Ph.D candidate in neuroscience for heaven's sake.
Also, Christian Bale visited the victims in Denver hospital, which is amazing. What a cool guy.

The parent thing, someone mentioned it, so of course people who have opinions and are willing to share them, will. Off topic, essentially yes..but people have the right to express their opinions and I did as well and stand by it.

Outside of that, yeah..he did mention the joker and now that title will stick, sadly.

Speaking on the dipwad himself, there has been mention of him constantly spitting and when they put bags on his hands, he started acting like they were puppets.

So with that, what are your thoughts on his mental state. Now I am no expert on judging a person's state of mind, but considering he has extensively studied neuroscience, I stand to believe he is putting on an act. There are too many deliberate actions on his part for me to believe he is the kook he is playing himself out to be.

What I would like to see is him being made competent to stand trial and the insanity plea not accepted. Have him get life in prison, no parole ever...and then see how he starts to behave.

#42 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostIsamu, on 24 July 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Maybe he should. Show those push overs in the Soul Society not to mess with old man Remington.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#43 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postrondo, on 25 July 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Speaking on the dipwad himself, there has been mention of him constantly spitting and when they put bags on his hands, he started acting like they were puppets.

So with that, what are your thoughts on his mental state. Now I am no expert on judging a person's state of mind, but considering he has extensively studied neuroscience, I stand to believe he is putting on an act. There are too many deliberate actions on his part for me to believe he is the kook he is playing himself out to be.

What I would like to see is him being made competent to stand trial and the insanity plea not accepted. Have him get life in prison, no parole ever...and then see how he starts to behave.

Agreed. Anyone who studies the human mind enough can know exactly what theariptis/doctors are looking for to place a certian title on someones actions. (figgity in class? answear: A.D.D. things of that nature). If he does get a insanity plea there will be a big cry of foul at the justice system. At least there should be.
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#44 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yesterday I checked my yahoo mail and I saw an article about how "psychologist experts" have deemed him either psychotic or faking psychosis...

Brilliant. <_<

He had it planned out. He knew what he was doing. I'm really curious what will happen and I hope this insanity plea is thrown out.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#45 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hopefully this will push people forward for the death penatly for evil men like this.

#46 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62574

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 25 July 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Hopefully this will push people forward for the death penatly for evil men like this.

death penalty? ummm, no. It is much wiser to use him as a free construction labor force or human experiments.

How often do you get free human specimen?

#47 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 25 July 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Death penalty is just too easy. I'd prefer a lifetime behind bars without any chance of getting out. I'd feel better about a lifetime of hard labor but you apparently can't do that anymore.

#48 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

Life in prison would be too good for a guy like this. (If he had been in the military and going to Ft. Leavenworth, that'd be a different matter entirely.) I think the death penalty would be fitting. I wouldn't want my tax dollars going toward this guy's food and such. It may be "too easy," but over a dozen people are dead, children included, and more are gonna be healing for a long time thanks to him.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#49 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 26 July 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Life in prison would be too good for a guy like this. (If he had been in the military and going to Ft. Leavenworth, that'd be a different matter entirely.) I think the death penalty would be fitting. I wouldn't want my tax dollars going toward this guy's food and such. It may be "too easy," but over a dozen people are dead, children included, and more are gonna be healing for a long time thanks to him.

I'm good either way. If Colorado wants to zap him or inject him or whatever, that's fine. However, I am also fine with him being put underground in Supermax. He's young. Seeing the sun one hour a day and spending the rest in a box smaller than a Hyatt bedroom for the rest of his life is its own punishment.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

BEAR CAV!

#50 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 26 July 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

It's actually more expensive for the government to have a prisoner on death row & subsequently executed than it is to keep said prisoner permanently incarcerated.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#51 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Which always seemed really weird to me. Like how can it be cheaper to feed a guy for life than to kill him once. I'd really love to see the numbers on this some day, but I've also heard the same thing as you.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#52 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 27 July 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Which always seemed really weird to me. Like how can it be cheaper to feed a guy for life than to kill him once. I'd really love to see the numbers on this some day, but I've also heard the same thing as you.

It has to do with the all the fees for the court I believe. Which is still bs. And if it is money that holds them back from going for the death penalty maybe there should be a kickstater to pay for the death penatly fees, I'd put some money into it.

#53 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 27 July 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

It has to do with the all the fees for the court I believe. Which is still bs. And if it is money that holds them back from going for the death penalty maybe there should be a kickstater to pay for the death penatly fees, I'd put some money into it.

You're correct in saying that court fees factor in to the increased cost. Defendants found guilty & sentenced to the death penalty have the opportunity to file a larger number of appeals than, say, a defendant sentenced to 30 years in prison. The reason for this is simple: human life is sacrosanct and should therefor be protected from undue execution. More appeals is supposed to equate to less wrongful executions. Unfortunately, our nation (and all others) have wrongfully executed a number of individuals, even in recent times.

But going back to the increased cost topic, it should also be noted that prisoners on death row are typically kept apart from the rest of the general prison population, and this also costs more money.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#54 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yes, but this is not a case where we don't know if he's innocent or guilty. I could understand not wanting to go for the death penatly if everything wasn't solid. But there is no way shape or form we would be executing a innocent person.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users