Anime Central Forums: Theater shooting - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Theater shooting How to deal with the new judgements on us.

#1 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

Surprised nobody has posted about this yet. Obviously we have all heard about the shooting at the TDKR premire. It's horriable and I know I speak for everyone when I say all our thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families. And even though I'm all for poltics and things I will not have any of that here. (surprising yes I know.) However, something has happened (very quickly I might add) that could pose a extereme problem for us. For some reason they are now somehow saying that costumes are now a "potential threat" in public places. Cops are already stopping people in cosplay shoots and whatnot and one of my friends who makes costumes even got a email from a customer saying she can't have her send the costume to her because now her parents "don't want her involed in that sort of thing." THIS. Is a problem. One I immeditatly will fight back on. We are not the problem. Costumes are not the problem. Hell this guy wasn't even in a costume. He had a bullet vest, gas mask, and riot helmet on. Yet, for some reason, we get the blame of it again. Like the things we enjoy could make one of us do the same thing. It's that line of thinking that means if I'm in costume while hanging with friends I might now get stopped by police. *swear* that! My intial response is for us cosplaying people to do it even more now and come out in droves and show them that we are not the problem here.

Now I'll admit. I'm short fused. It's how I am. Especailly if it's something close to me. So I'll admit maybe I don't have "the best" solution to this. What do you guys think? What are your guys ideas? I'd hate it when we are on the reciving end of blame for things that we didnt' even do. And I'd really hate for anyone of us in our community to have run-ins/problems with any sort of sercurity just because we are dressed up.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

The costume thing will blow over in due time and it probably won't take long. This is primarily overreaction to a tragic event.

Going forward the big issue being discussed will be guns. If there is anything that cosplay people may be affected by long term will be gun/weapon props but that'll blow over as well...unless a con gets its own shooting event. At that point, all bets are off.

#3 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

We keep calm, we mourn, and we set a good example. And while keeping in good taste with common sense, we do what we love to do.

Scapegoats are commonplace in situations like this. (Sadly,i so are copycats.) In our community, this isn't the first time we've had a hobby of ours pointed at and told, "BAD! NO! GET IT AWAY!" The power of association is strong after events like this. There are those who understand that this could have happened anytime, anywhere, with or without a costume. Others want something to campaign against, something to use against the shooter and others like him. And there are others who may react poorly to something associated with the shooting (in truth or fabricated).

The last thing we should do is fight. Over a dozen people are dead, 50 more wounded. The shooter was caught right after the incident, so justice will be sought for what he's done. But in the meantime, things are going to be tense for a while.

So, if you want to cosplay, do so - but have good taste and common sense, and set a good example. If you're stopped and told, "Sorry, you can't wear that here" do not argue or cause a scene. Make your peace, and follow their rules.

It may take a little while, but really, I don't think this will last for THAT long. People will realize who is really to blame for the shooting, and leave well enough alone. Plus, I think folks will be more concerned with gun control than cosplay control.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#4 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 21 July 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

So, if you want to cosplay, do so - but have good taste and common sense, and set a good example. If you're stopped and told, "Sorry, you can't wear that here" do not argue or cause a scene. Make your peace, and follow their rules.

That's definitly not my first reaction. However I would tell people not to cosplay certian things for awhile. Hunk from Resident evil would be a good example. (gas mask, riot gear, etc.)
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Oh, I know most people won't have that reaction either :) (Speaking from experience? Naaaahhh.) But given the right people and explanations, I think most cosplayers would be understanding. I do agree that certain costumes would be better off being saved until after things wind down - at least in areas that don't involve conventions, or would otherwise be commonplace. Even in said areas, be aware and courteous.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

AMC has already posted that they are not banning costumes in theaters, but will not allow props and masks, which I thought was already a rule. Anyway, this guy was not in costume at all and of course the news hyped it with rumors about him as "the Joker" which is ridiculous. Plus they have his smiling mug plastered everywhere which makes people believe it to be his mug shot, which it isn't. Like said previously, I also think it will blow over eventually. The biggest concern, that I've noticed that has come up, is about gun control, so that will take most of the focus off of the costuming... Oh and of course the horrible tragedy. A man from the northwest suburbs, Crystal Lake, was found among the deceased in the theater. I couldn't imagine what those people went through.

Btw, if anyone has been to the movies recently, there was a trailer for a gangster movie and it had them shooting through a movie screen, killing the audience... I heard that they might pull it from theaters because of what happened. How eerie. Watching that trailer and then 40 min later a crazed gunman shoots up the place.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#7 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostVoxx, on 21 July 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

AMC has already posted that they are not banning costumes in theaters, but will not allow props and masks, which I thought was already a rule. Anyway, this guy was not in costume at all and of course the news hyped it with rumors about him as "the Joker" which is ridiculous. Plus they have his smiling mug plastered everywhere which makes people believe it to be his mug shot, which it isn't. Like said previously, I also think it will blow over eventually. The biggest concern, that I've noticed that has come up, is about gun control, so that will take most of the focus off of the costuming... Oh and of course the horrible tragedy. A man from the northwest suburbs, Crystal Lake, was found among the deceased in the theater. I couldn't imagine what those people went through.

Btw, if anyone has been to the movies recently, there was a trailer for a gangster movie and it had them shooting through a movie screen, killing the audience... I heard that they might pull it from theaters because of what happened. How eerie. Watching that trailer and then 40 min later a crazed gunman shoots up the place.

I know that trailer. Got sean penn in it. I think the sence is actually cops shooting gangers throught the screen. Not sure since It's just a clip though.

#8 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I was mad when people used this for politics online. I was like "seriously face."

But I'm depressed; the guy had bombs set up in his apartment so if anyone came by and complained about the loud music he had on they would had been blown up like that.

That's scary; it doesn't help that people are doing more crazy stuff as well, like cannibalism and shooting kids going to the store. I can't live in this country anymore.

For the cosplays, I have no issue if ACen restricts or re modifies the gun issue because of this. I can deal with such matters.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#9 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I've never been to a midnight premiere but they should consider raising up the security during the midnight premiers (those are probably one of the most popular events in movie history). The gunner came from the front of the theater (from what I've read). Did they have cameras?

According to the gun laws in Colorado, you are allowed to purchase a hand gun without a permit. This scares me because that would mean that a lot of people can get hurt like what just happened. I heard that they are considering to change that law.

In my opinion but what does wearing a costume have to do with this? It tells us that we are ready for some awesome movie action because they like the movie. (Also showing off your Batman spirit). I understand the prop and mask in which they should be able to take away from someone if they bring one but the costume banning is just terrible. I know a lot of the kids in my town dress up for a midnight premiere but now they don't have the privilege to do so.

I've never been in a situation like this but it must have been terrifying for the people who were enjoying Dark Knight Rises until the gunner showed up. I am also sorry for the victims who lost their love ones and even the people they didn't know in that massacre.

This post has been edited by Noiz: 21 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 4 ☆═━┈
Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Okita Souji [Hakuouki] My backup cosplay if anything happens.

┈━═☆ Future Cosplays ☆═━┈
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman Reborn!]
Hiccup [How to Train Your Dragon 2]

#10 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

This too shall pass. That is my feeling on it. I have lived through many knee-jerk reactions to huge tragedies. I was in Highschool and one of those kids who wore a trench coat when Collumbine happened. Though me and my friends were never anything like those in the "trench coat mafia" we were singled out and punished. But the next year, all those things had passed and everything went back to normal. Yes, things might be difficult for us for a while, but if we all stay calm and mature about it, then this reaction will blow over and things will return to the way it was before. If we want to do anything, he need to show that those of us who cosplay are part of the solution not the problem. Cosplay Reach Out.

Cosplay for a Cause. Cosplay to Kick Cancer. Cosplay at an Alzheimer's Memory walk. Cosplay at a children's hospital. And if asked to leave, do so with grace and kindness.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#11 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostNoiz, on 21 July 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

From what I heard the gunman went through the emergency exit. But this raises an issue; you can only go through the exit inside so he either had to be working with someone or mixed information.

Also the issue of costumes and cosplaying in question. People will link the outfit he had to the horrible event, no matter what the outfit in question was or represented from before. It's bad taste to dress up in said outfit until it passes. Or it might be bad taste from now on in period.

like certain items from World war II, Korean war, video games, anime, etc.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 21 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#12 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

So, here's some links.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1
http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=hp_bn1
http://www.cnn.com/2...article_sidebar
http://www.cnn.com/i...article_sidebar

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1
The victims, if you choose to click.

What we know:
The guy bought a ticket to the movie, propped open the emergency exit, riot geared, went on his spree.
He was a camp counselor for low-income kids.
He was a PhD candidate in Neuroscience.
He is smart as all get out.
The 3 month old is safe, but it's bringing up a lot of debates about bringing kids to late movies. Yes, to the kids, it's a huge treat to stay up past 10.. but these later showings are geared towards adults. The 6 year old girl that was hit did not survive.

http://www.coloradoc....org/index.html How you can help.

-----
Personally, this scares the crap out of me. Such a genius mind finally snapping.. what if he had continued his education? What would happen if he went from science to surgery? If he just felt like it.. all it would take is one 'slip' of a scalpel...just..nope. Nope at all.

Somehow, I can picture that the guy was roleplaying in his head the entire time... and he will continue to do so throughout the trial. I can understand the no mask thing, if only to help deter copycats. Bleh, this guy makes me sick... he's.. happy.... for now.. Doubt he will be with Bubbles, Lola, and Chuck.

#13 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Every article is pretty much "BLAH BLAH BLAH GUNS ARE EVIL DOWN WITH THE NRA" "NO NO IF GUNS WERE READILY AVAILABLE EVERYONE COULD'VE HAD A GUN AND STOPPED HIM. YAY NRA!"

Fun.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

^Pretty much.

That and about how people shouldn't bring babies in theaters.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#15 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

gun talks happen after every senseless mass murder because, well, good time to discuss it ? We've all heard it before and we may have to again. :/
Though why someone would bring a baby to a midnight showing is a little strange. I mean, not saying in any way shape or form this was the parent's fault but the loud noises from the film would probably startle the child and AMC and other large chains offer "bring your baby" shows.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#16 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

I think by next ACen the "COSPLAY KILLS!" hysteria will have long since passed. For awhile after Columbine, both computer and tabletop gaming were under the microscope because supposedly the Columbine shooters played Doom and D&D. (They did play Doom, but not D&D.) It blew over.

It's human nature. We want to blame something for this. Otherwise it makes no sense that an incredibly intelligent young man would decide, "Hey, I feel like committing mass murder today!" So people need to find a "why"--if the guy played D&D, well, that must've made him do it. If he listened to Marilyn Manson, that's what caused him to snap. And so on.

We just have a tough time accepting that there are evil people in this world who just enjoy killing. Maybe this guy was mentally effed up, and that's what happened. Or maybe he's like the Columbine shooters, and killed for the sheer thrill of killing.

Either way, I hope they put him in the deepest hole of Supermax. No death penalty. Let him be underground for 23 hours a day, in a small room alone with himself.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And may he be haunted"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#17 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 22 July 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

I think by next ACen the "COSPLAY KILLS!" hysteria will have long since passed. For awhile after Columbine, both computer and tabletop gaming were under the microscope because supposedly the Columbine shooters played Doom and D&D. (They did play Doom, but not D&D.) It blew over.

It's human nature. We want to blame something for this. Otherwise it makes no sense that an incredibly intelligent young man would decide, "Hey, I feel like committing mass murder today!" So people need to find a "why"--if the guy played D&D, well, that must've made him do it. If he listened to Marilyn Manson, that's what caused him to snap. And so on.

We just have a tough time accepting that there are evil people in this world who just enjoy killing. Maybe this guy was mentally effed up, and that's what happened. Or maybe he's like the Columbine shooters, and killed for the sheer thrill of killing.

Either way, I hope they put him in the deepest hole of Supermax. No death penalty. Let him be underground for 23 hours a day, in a small room alone with himself.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And may he be haunted"

Yes, but it's only when they are into something in the geek culture is when people flip a lid. That guy who shot up a air base (think it was air force anyway). He was just a "average" guy. Plain, been the military no real geeky quirks. No mention of how our culture "kills people!" Yet when it's a "unaverage" person that goes crazy THEN it's ok to start scapegotting. I don't recall anyone going through the hobbies of the other military man who snapped and killed a bunch of women and childern in Afganastan a few months ago. Only thing they talked about PDST and the like. That's what pisses me off more. Bet if I put a invader zim shirt on some serial killer and let him out of jail and after he gets caught killing a person they would say, "it must have been that creepy cartoon." Its just the outright scapegoatting of us is what pisses me off.

View Postcactusmomma, on 21 July 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Personally, this scares the crap out of me. Such a genius mind finally snapping.. what if he had continued his education? What would happen if he went from science to surgery? If he just felt like it.. all it would take is one 'slip' of a scalpel...just..nope. Nope at all.

Somehow, I can picture that the guy was roleplaying in his head the entire time... and he will continue to do so throughout the trial. I can understand the no mask thing, if only to help deter copycats. Bleh, this guy makes me sick... he's.. happy.... for now.. Doubt he will be with Bubbles, Lola, and Chuck.

We apparently there is word about him becoming increasinglly upset that even with a degree he was still working at McD's. Another stress level perhaps.

#18 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 21 July 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

gun talks happen after every senseless mass murder because, well, good time to discuss it ? We've all heard it before and we may have to again. :/
Though why someone would bring a baby to a midnight showing is a little strange. I mean, not saying in any way shape or form this was the parent's fault but the loud noises from the film would probably startle the child and AMC and other large chains offer "bring your baby" shows.

This was brought up in other forums/Yahoo topics as well.

Reasons why people bring babies and kids to movies:

1) They could not afford a baby sitter (Baby sitters make wages now like working a 9-5 job.)

2) They were on a family gathering (it's the summer time; would be different if this was during the school time period.)

3) "Why should I stop doing things I enjoy just because I have kids? Just because I have kids doesn't mean that I should put my life on hold for 18 years and turn into a hermit." thoughts

Any of those reasons.

Unless you ask the person in question nobody really has an idea why there was a baby there. Example 2 could have been that the family went out over X person's house/etc. and wanted to see the Dark Knight on the way home, since it's summer vacation and the movie is PG-13. Superhero movies are really popular and previous Batman movies are blockbusters.

I personally feel that as long as it's not a bar or something on those lines, why not bring your kids out or with you in interactions? A lot of parents don't spend time with their children in question in this country and instead use the school, tv, video games, toys, medication, etc. instead.

I went to the movies with kids before and I had no issue with babies, who slept through the movie, were fascinated by the screen, or when they did make noise the parents simply took them out and back, no problem. The teenagers at the Avengers were louder than the baby in question.

I can image this brings up the whole "Babies shouldn't watch tv or movies at that age because it ruins their mental capacity," debate.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#19 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I didn't find out what happen until Friday morning when my program was interrupted by Obama on TV saying something about the shooting and giving a moment of silence.

It seems it takes one person or a group of people to ruin our sense of safety, keep us from doing an every day activity, or make something negative out of something harmless. Besides we need to keep moving foward, what this guy did doesn't affect us in the cosplay community, it only added more of a security presents to movie theaters.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#20 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 22 July 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

This was brought up in other forums/Yahoo topics as well.

Reasons why people bring babies and kids to movies:

1) They could not afford a baby sitter (Baby sitters make wages now like working a 9-5 job.)
Then if you are a responsible parent, you should not be spending money on going to a show if you can't afford a babysitter. There are also many free babysitter options if you have friends or relatives.

2) They were on a family gathering (it's the summer time; would be different if this was during the school time period.)
Summertime does change things a little, but most places still have a curfew. However, in this case, I think nothing would have changed if it was a school day eve. Those kids would still be there.

3) "Why should I stop doing things I enjoy just because I have kids? Just because I have kids doesn't mean that I should put my life on hold for 18 years and turn into a hermit." thoughts
Indeed, and you should not have to stop doing things you like, but the rules have changed. You are now a parent and have to put things before you. That's the problem these days, kids who are not ready to have children do so and don't want the responsibilities of parenthood.

In Red.

Also you said why not bring kids to these things since parents don't spend enough time with their kids. This is a terrible idea, as is a movie a terrible idea for a date. There is no integration between the parties going to see it. There is no communication other than passing pop-corn and the likes. In fact, it is frowned upon at theaters to talk to one another while the show is going on. If you want to actually interact with your kids, don't so some coo-out thing like taking them to the movies. Go camping, bowling, miniature golf or, hey, just talk to your children. There is no difference between the tv and the movies except you do it in public.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#21 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

View Postkenkendazo, on 22 July 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

In Red.

Also you said why not bring kids to these things since parents don't spend enough time with their kids. This is a terrible idea, as is a movie a terrible idea for a date. There is no integration between the parties going to see it. There is no communication other than passing pop-corn and the likes. In fact, it is frowned upon at theaters to talk to one another while the show is going on. If you want to actually interact with your kids, don't so some coo-out thing like taking them to the movies. Go camping, bowling, miniature golf or, hey, just talk to your children. There is no difference between the tv and the movies except you do it in public.

I agree with everything he said in red. Once you have a kid, it's no longer about you anymore. You brought another life, ablnd you have to be the utmost responsible.

I especially disagree with the 3rd one. No no no. As I said, your life is no longer yours. If you still think like that, then you are not ready for a child. You arent throwing away your life, you just have to sacrifice a lil when interests clash.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#22 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I've posted my thoughts on this already too many times, so heres the shot tl;dr version

What happened was horrible, but there is no reason to change how we go about our everyday lives at all. You can't account for crazy people. They're statistical anomalies. Which is why all this outcry and banning guns and costumes is ridiculous. Crazy people will always be crazy people. They will always find a reason to continue being crazy people. If it isn't a movie theater, its a school, if it isn't a school, its a mall. I for one will not be living in any greater amount of fear today than I did a week ago.

As for the debate on the baby, bringing the baby there was ridiculous. You're a parent, you don't get to do whatever you want anymore. You're now responsible for another life. If that is not something that interests you, don't have a kid.

This post has been edited by FlyingElf: 22 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#23 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thursday was my first ever cosplay at a Midnight screening. Pretty upsetting that while not in the same area, a shooting had to have taken place that night!!! What a horrible feeling to be excited for a premiere and you either lose your life or see someone else's life taken from them. :(

Also upsetting is that the theater I was at attendees AND staff were in costume. While I won't say it's completely the end of cosplay at theater showings, it may have to take a halt at least for awhile.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#24 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Overall view on all of this:

Suspect (will not name the person, ever) should get life in prison, no parole, solitary confinement forever. He'll never survive in the prison population. That being said, suspect will get insanity plea, you just know he will.
Theater will ease restrictions eventually. Restrictions were put in place to protect people and to calm their fears, but moreso to protect themselves from lawsuits.
Gun bans aren't the solution, however there should be permits first before ownership. Having a permit won't stop a person from going nuts, but then again, nothing will.
As for the baby..these people brought what I believe was a 5-6 month old baby and a 4 year old at midnight showing that would end around 3am. Highly irresponsible. If I would have heard a peep from the baby, I would have demanded they be kicked out of the theater. Parents, care for your young kids first before your need to watch a movie. In those early years, you need to a do a little sacrificing for the sake of your kids...not, my kids won't hold my life back. Selfish *$^$(*s.

#25 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Postkenkendazo, on 22 July 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

In Red.

To answer in a teal;deer fashion: (btw I rather talk about the incident in question and pray on the people that survived rather than this whole debate, which is another can of worms.)

Well maybe it's just me but when I was a kid going to the movies was just an experience for me. I was with my cousins, we saw a good show, and we went out to the arcade. It was an interaction with my mother, who otherwise didn't do much with me per say, as well as my cousins unless it was with money. We laughed, made whispered jokes in the movies, complained about the popcorn, threw candy at each other, the whole nine yards. I was six at the time. I used to play Mortal Kombat when I was that age as well and I came out decent. No "I'm going to do finishing moves!" like this newer generation. If someone was too loud we simply went out or my mom pulled them out for a time out. Otherwise we were decent.

Like I said I went to the Avengers with a baby in the background and I had no issue. I had no issue with the baby; I had issue with the teenagers saying how this "white guy is ugly," or bootlegging the movie. We have no idea why the baby was there in this movie showing unless you come up and ask said person from this incident.

What's the difference between going to the show and going to the park? The parents sometimes just sit down and let their kids run around and not interact at all and stay on the phone/talk to other parents and just ignore their children. Good exercise yes, but just as much interaction as Ken-san pointed out as the movies if you compare these two situations. In this country spending time with their kids with anything is better than putting them in front of the video game system or letting the school raise them.

Also free babysitting in this day and age is not really an option unless you know someone or have relatives and even then using relatives is not a good idea. Why? Because of the rise of molestation within your family and abuse so it makes people paranoid. My father made sure to engrave this in my head so I don't have kids and this has happened to friends of mine who were baby sat by relatives. It might not have happened to you but I have seen it happen to friends on a personal level that it scares me. Babysitting is about a good 8-20 dollars an hour compared to a 20-30 dollar movie showing, or an otherwise free movie showing, (my cousin always gets free movie tickets.) It's a lot like finding a job; it's possible but difficult to get a babysitter, especially at the last minute.

There is a curfew here, I'm not sure about your state, so if it was a school night then the kids would have not been in the midnight showing, as well as the teenagers. You are not allowed past 10pm or so on a school night and 11 or so on the weekends unless you are 18+ or 21+. In the summer time it's dramatically changed to suit summer, which is why I see my neighbor's kid outside at 10pm-11pm playing around. If it was a school night then the baby and kids might not be there, instead at home going to school the next day.

I never took a baby to a movie but I feel that, read: Yes you should have restrictions after being a parent on what you do but you should also enjoy yourself responsibly with your kids as well as yourself. You shouldn't give up everything after you have kids; you should put your kids before yourself and do things within means. If you have kids does it mean you can't go to Banana Republic or restaurants anymore because it's a clothing store for adults? That you have to go to family only establishments strictly like Chuck E. Cheese? That you can't go to the show with your seven year old and your nursing baby because you want to continue breastfeeding and you had free tickets so you shouldn't go period? That you can't watch any R rated movies at all ever again because even after they move out you are still taking care of them and you don't know when your kid will come back home and it's bad taste?

Or another issue that someone had on facebook after restaurants started to restrict children: "People without kids shouldn't be with people with kids. There should be a separation for these types of people period because they should be at home with their screaming loud kids and not around me."

Example: My Auntie felt that the only thing mothers should do is be homemakers, not work, and raise kids 24/7 and make sure the husband has a lot of sex in between. The man doesn't do anything except provide with money and loving. Is it right? In her eyes yes and she made it a point to stress it to everyone in the family who was female that did work and had a social life outside of their friends/family/kids. My Mother was different; she worked and interact with me by taking me to the movies, comic book conventions, and other things since I was a baby as well as other places and over friend's house as well as work/enjoy her social life while I was in school. I spent time having fun and being around her rather than seeing her between working and jobs like the mother of today. She made it a point to balance both lives but was depressed because of my father being indifferent about me because of issues with her. My father didn't do anything much outside of buy me the occasional video game/comic book or give me lectures about his days as being in the black panthers. When he did take me out it was more of a chore and I didn't enjoy myself because we didn't talk or even discuss what we did. He simply ignored me.

Another example: My ex sister in law has a child. She went through a lot of mental issues but because of her mother she doesn't watch her son, instead stays out. Now all she does is drop him off of other people's houses and drinks. When she does spend time it's ten minutes at the most and she mostly whoops him over silly stuff. She does not buy him books or video games, mostly balls and toys. When she does take him out it's over girlfriend's houses. Now this isn't good behavior at all.

But I'm the only one who's going to say why not so eh. Most of the naysayers probably don't have kids or haven't really interacted much with kids on a personal level outside of siblings/etc. (and even then they don't have to deal with them 24/7.) I had to raise kids constantly by other people, including my sister in law, so I'm going to give up this debate. I definitely know you don't have any kids Xeno~ The last thing I need is people bashing on me and eventually going to the point that people pm me nasty messages all over again for stating my opinion on the matter and how I feel about said opinion. I have every right; if I feel that the world is black all over with the "fog," and you don't then I have every right to feel that way, if you don't agree with it or like it say that instead of being directly attacked and called "names." I'm thick skinned but there is a limit on what words can do mentally. If I don't do so then what gives you the right to do so? This is not China or the Philippines that have restrictions on the internet.

Gun issue:

Restricting guns isn't going to change the situation. There is still going to be a Black Market. Not looking at politics, this issue will always be an issue as long as people have enough money and time. Unless the government does a 180 it's silly to think that raising the gun laws will make it harder for these horrible incidents to not happen. Or as in the horrible cannibalism incident months before, people will still find ways to harm other people regardless or themselves.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 22 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#26 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

What the person (I don't even want to remember how he looks like or what his name was) has done was just evil and he should get serious punishment. Movies are great because it can inspire a person (this one foreign movie inspired me so much, I want to study abroad now), but dying your hair wearing a gas mask and going ape crap inside a movie theater saying that you are the Joker to the police is nothing but stupid (I would use a word much worse then stupid but I'm currently against using it) and just incredibly insane.

The idea of bring a young child into a movie, especially if it's at midnight is just a really bad idea. Isn't that why movies have a rating? Couldn't the parent's make sure they were sleeping before they left or call their neighbor or relative to check on them? (I've never had a baby sitter before since I've been home alone since I was 5).
┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 4 ☆═━┈
Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Okita Souji [Hakuouki] My backup cosplay if anything happens.

┈━═☆ Future Cosplays ☆═━┈
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman Reborn!]
Hiccup [How to Train Your Dragon 2]

#27 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

For those of you getting on the parents' a**es for taking their baby to a midnight showing: Seriously? Yeah, I mean, it wasn't the best idea. Annoying for other people and bad for the baby's circadian rhythm, but that's about it. If any of you have a child, I'm pretty sure none of you say, "Well gee it IS pretty late. Better not take the baby out anywhere because it'll probably get shot or something." No parent makes all the right decisions. I see people all the time buying crap at Walmart with their babies at like three in the morning. If I were to run up and snap their baby's neck, I sure as hell wouldn't say "Well you know....it's kind of your fault for bringing your baby out to this shady Walmart in the wee hours of the morning. BAD PARENT."
It's not like these people laid their kid in the middle of a shooting range. It's bad enough that their baby got SHOT. I'm sure they feel horrible as it is. Jesus. F*cking lay OFF.
EDIT: I seriously can't believe that this is even being talked about. A basket-case with a gun and an apartment stuffed with bombs lays waste to an entire movie theater and people are sitting here trash-talking some unfortunate parents who've had their children, who I'm sure they care about more than anyone in the entire world, wounded or even killed.
You guys are seriously too self-righteous for me to stomach.Shameless.

This post has been edited by Kii: 23 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#28 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostKii, on 22 July 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

For those of you getting on the parents' a**es for taking their baby to a midnight showing: Seriously? Yeah, I mean, it wasn't the best idea. Annoying for other people and bad for the baby's circadian rhythm, but that's about it. If any of you have a child, I'm pretty sure none of you say, "Well gee it IS pretty late. Better not take the baby out anywhere because it'll probably get shot or something." No parent makes all the right decisions. I see people all the time buying crap at Walmart with their babies at like three in the morning. If I were to run up and snap their baby's neck, I sure as hell wouldn't say "Well you know....it's kind of your fault for bringing your baby out to this shady Walmart in the wee hours of the morning. BAD PARENT."
It's not like these people laid their kid in the middle of a shooting range. It's bad enough that their baby got SHOT. I'm sure they feel horrible as it is. Jesus. F*cking lay OFF.
EDIT: I seriously can't believe that this is even being talked about. A basket-case with a gun and an apartment stuffed with bombs lays waste to an entire movie theater and people are sitting here trash-talking some unfortunate parents who've had their children, who I'm sure they care about more than anyone in the entire world, wounded or even killed.

I'm not trash talking the woman, I'm simply saying it is an odd choice to bring a baby to a showing of a PG-13 action film in general and doing so at midnight is just a bit odd.

Back on topic

I find this push to have the victims recognized and honored over and over ( as in random tid bits of info over and over on the news like soso worked at this place and went to this community college) a bit strange. I understand this is a tragic time but the idea of hiding the man's name and trying to keep anything about the crime sort of hidden is bizarre.

I'm not saying the man deserves to be glorified one bit but can anyone honestly name the victims( unless you had to cope with the tragedy) of Columbine? NIU? Virginia Tech? What they looked like?
But most people remember the names and faces of the men that carried out the crimes.
I'm not sure why we only remember those responsible as a nation. Could be we all have morbid curiosity. Could be a sort of fascination we have with stylizing criminals in an age of fbi crime dramas.

But why the news even tried to calm any more talk of the man ( particularly when there may still be an accomplice on the lose) just seems odd.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#29 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, let's get back on topic, shall we?Instead of back-seat parenting.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#30 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostKii, on 22 July 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Nobody has said it's the parents fault. They just said it wasn't a good idea and bringing up how people just can't bring their kids to EVERYTHING they do. Nobody is trash talking them or saying they derserved it. Heck that wasn't even the reason I made the thread in the first place.

One the case itself. We finally get to see what he looks like now (instead of the old photo they were using.) I still cant see how they are saying this guy looks anything like what he is claming to be. Or how they can use this guy agaisnt us. He looks like that freaking ginger kid from south park.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users