Anime Central Forums: Darker than Black Hei's Dagger Replica Project - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darker than Black Hei's Dagger Replica Project

#1 User is offline   Yangorang 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62555

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

I know I'm a bit late to the game and other people have already made these, but I've taken the approach of CAD + modern machining methods to try and replicate Hei's daggers.
Project Details: http://yzrandome.blo...er-replica.html
Let me know what you guys think.

This post has been edited by Yangorang: 15 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Looks nice so far!

Are you doing one of the three processes listed? If you needed suggestion I would go for Traditional Casting/Machining, since the rules of ACen are very weird at times.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   Yangorang 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

I am more or less pursuing all three of the listed processes in parallel to see which one ends up being the best balance of cost and quality - but for the final version that I'll make available to people I am probably leaning towards resin casting. At this point nothing is really set in stone and I'm slowly doing research and getting quotes from various places.

This post has been edited by Yangorang: 15 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

#4 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I really like it! It's really realistic! Good job!!
┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 5 ☆═━┈
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Haruka Nanase (Desert Version) [Free!]
Saruhiko Fushimi [K]

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostYangorang, on 15 July 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I am more or less pursuing all three of the listed processes in parallel to see which one ends up being the best balance of cost and quality - but for the final version that I'll make available to people I am probably leaning towards resin casting. At this point nothing is really set in stone and I'm slowly doing research and getting quotes from various places.

You have a tumblr or is that the main website for your updates? I want to see how this goes. Also any hints for first timers like myself? I want to make Origami cyclone's weapon from T and B but I have no idea where to start at.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   Yangorang 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 16 July 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

You have a tumblr or is that the main website for your updates? I want to see how this goes. Also any hints for first timers like myself? I want to make Origami cyclone's weapon from T and B but I have no idea where to start at.

Thanks for your interest - I'll keep any and all updates at my Blogger site.

I'd be glad to help if I can, but I am not an experienced propmaker myself and this is actually my first anime prop as well.
Most of my prior experience lies in CAD design and basic machining, so I've just sorta been learning as I go about various things. Most prop makers would probably consider my approach to be fairly unconventional (one of them actually asked me a few questions about 3D printing) - this is just how I happen to know how to do things so heh...

If you want some general tips try asking experienced propmakers such as Volphin, Blind Squirrel, or Scouter Props. Volphin in particular does a fairly good job of documenting his work for others and I used some of his images as reference when I was creating my initial CAD model.
http://www.therpf.com/ also seems to be a good place to ask these sorts of questions.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Yangorang: 16 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostYangorang, on 16 July 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Thanks for your interest - I'll keep any and all updates at my Blogger site.

I'd be glad to help if I can, but I am not an experienced propmaker myself and this is actually my first anime prop as well.
Most of my prior experience lies in CAD design and basic machining, so I've just sorta been learning as I go about various things. Most prop makers would probably consider my approach to be fairly unconventional (one of them actually asked me a few questions about 3D printing) - this is just how I happen to know how to do things so heh...

If you want some general tips try asking experienced propmakers such as Volphin, Blind Squirrel, or Scouter Props. Volphin in particular does a fairly good job of documenting his work for others and I used some of his images as reference when I was creating my initial CAD model.
http://www.therpf.com/ also seems to be a good place to ask these sorts of questions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this does and I'll keep props on your blog as well; f5'ing it.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#8 User is offline   Yangorang 

• Pip

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Here's the latest prototype I have - 3D printed out of Nylon 12 at Shapeways and then sanded a bit and spray painted. Could've probably gotten slightly better results if I spent more time and had better equipment - but I think it looks fairly good nontheless.

http://i429.photobuc...nt/CIMG0708.jpg

#9 User is offline   Yangorang 

• Pip

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I have a few extra polyamide prints available if anyone would like to try their hand at painting them: http://www.ebay.com/...4#ht_500wt_1414
It takes quite a bit of sanding and you'll want to use primer and good quality paint as well, but you can get fairly good results if you spend the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users