Customer service over the phone

#1 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

This is a slight rant:

Customer service now a days has been really bad in this area. Countries that speak English hire people who don't from overseas many times. I found this odd but if it meant more people having jobs in other countries alright. But the issue comes up when I call for something and the rep doesn't know what I'm talking about at all, doesn't care to find out, and speaks in really bad english/no english/nothing but bad english and their native language. Doesn't the HR or someone screen people on consistency over the phone and how clear they talk to people about situations? What happens if its an elderly woman who has bad hearing? Someone who doesn't speak english is over the phone and needs help? They simply don't care about people at all.

It's even worse if you have customer service over the phone located in this country. I used to work at the phone during shifts and when I took over sometimes my fellow employees would put people on hold for hours to go to lunch or go talk to their friends when I come to relieve them. And they thought it was alright to treat people like this! They had no reason, no excuse; if it was them they would be mad and ready to call in the guns.

I tried calling about information and not only did the man constantly talk to me as if I was stupid, he ignored everything I said, only to cut me off when I did correct him, and even tried to pressure me into something I didn't want to do. His supervisor was worse; refuse to give me his name, only wanted a yes or no answer to his statement, and then hung up on me when I asked for his name again.

Mind you I only wanted documentation and they refused to give me said documentation.

How...do these people keep jobs at all? Don't people complain about this stuff? How do companies keep doing this and nothing is being done? I don't understand this. Is it something I'm missing in the business world?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Some companies care, some don't. Some people complain, but not all. If people don't stop buying products from a company that still provides lousy service, said company probably doesn't fell all that compelled to change anything.

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Postrondo, on 29 June 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Some companies care, some don't. Some people complain, but not all. If people don't stop buying products from a company that still provides lousy service, said company probably doesn't fell all that compelled to change anything.

In some cases, like the light company ComED, it's downright impossible.

EDIT: I actually complained and stop buying from companies. I even do those survey things at the end of lines but it's sad when I see the same or hear the same person several years later in the same position with the same attitude.

I think I had more issues with snotty, disrespectful people from them as well as certain banks than anything else so far :/ Sad thing is that those two customer service lines are located in the USA.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 29 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

It is a pain that they do this with people who speak poor English. I know it's cheaper to outsource, but for some services, it is really annoying to deal with someone who you have a hard time understanding. Fortunately for computer savvy people or anyone who just knows how to use a computer places like Dell, Apple, etc. offer online chat customer service. I tend to prefer this method myself.

I can forgive the outsourcing and difficulty understanding over the phone but "what really grinds my gears" are places like Best Buy. I've noticed some improvement over the years, but I swear they would put me on hold for so long or direct me to other employees once or twice for a simple question like "Do you have the Yu Yu Hakusho Chapter Black Boxset?" I swear I would just go in myself and look for it because that's how unhelpful they were over the phone. Comcast is THE WORST of them all though. I swear, every time the internet or cable does go out, there is always a 30 minute to an hour wait over the phone, EVERY TIME!!! I remember cancelling XBox Live Gold for me was a challenge as well and for some reason I couldn't just do it via my Xbox or go on the computer but I had to call a hotline.

To the businesses out there, please don't make it difficult to do something this simple. It makes people like me less likely to return to you for goods and services and it makes me less likely to recommend said products to others!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostSTVO, on 29 June 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I can forgive the outsourcing and difficulty understanding over the phone but "what really grinds my gears" are places like Best Buy. I've noticed some improvement over the years, but I swear they would put me on hold for so long or direct me to other employees once or twice for a simple question like "Do you have the Yu Yu Hakusho Chapter Black Boxset?" I swear I would just go in myself and look for it because that's how unhelpful they were over the phone.

Having worked at a Best Buy (the one formerly in Deerfield), I can attest to this one. Part of the problem is that in a given section of the store, you may only have a few employees...or only one, if there was short-staffing involved. Thus, if the phone rings for a certain department, they may not be around to answer because a) they're in a different area or b ) occupied with a customer or c) they don't know if they should take the call. Customer Service has it even worse. Not only do they have to field god-knows-how-many calls in any given timeframe, but sometimes, they will have to get up and check the shelves themselves to make sure an item is actually there. (Such as during winter holidays.) And sometimes, we would have to call other stores to see if they have a specific item in stock...thus drawing out the hold time.

Yeah, it's not fun from either side of the fence. :(

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 29 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

I especially hate the way they laugh at me when I ask how to fix that fancy pop-out cup holder on my computer.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostSmokey, on 29 June 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I especially hate the way they laugh at me when I ask how to fix that fancy pop-out cup holder on my computer.

Wait, where is the 'any' key again?

#8 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostSmokey, on 29 June 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Hahahah this made my day.

I'm glad you have such a positive approach. I usually try to put myself in the person's shoes but I find it really hard. If you have to be cynical and nasty over the phone then why work that job? Try to find another one that fits you, hard market or not. Don't get a phone job.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#9 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Unfortunately, in this economy, most people don't have a choice. I've worked in call centers before; sometimes it's not just a matter of liking it but also who you work with/for. One company was so atrocious at listening to their employees (and actually caring about their welfare) that when I finally did get laid off - this was right after the economy tanked - I needed a good handful of months during my unemployment just to fully decompress. Nearly everywhere else I've worked, the management was well-versed in actually doing their job right.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 30 June 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Unfortunately, in this economy, most people don't have a choice. I've worked in call centers before; sometimes it's not just a matter of liking it but also who you work with/for. One company was so atrocious at listening to their employees (and actually caring about their welfare) that when I finally did get laid off - this was right after the economy tanked - I needed a good handful of months during my unemployment just to fully decompress. Nearly everywhere else I've worked, the management was well-versed in actually doing their job right.

Yes but you are one of the most sensible persons I've worked with. :) I understand your situation but I don't understand these two.

The lady at Comed had the nerve to tell me that not only was I lieing about a mistake that they did, but also that my mother couldn't account for anything because it's none of her business and she should "stay the F out." Mind you she made the call for me when I was sick/unable to do so and I even told them about my information AFTER the fact but they didn't have it in their records, even with the dates I told them of, oh and their system is always "100%"

And the man in question who I ranted about not only did he not listen to me, but he seemed to not even care or have his facts straight. I told him SEVERAL times that I had a child and that I had paper work, but I was busy trying to get a job and I need that information so I can move forward on my student loans that they made a mistake on. He said it was impossible and it would take a YEAR, one year, to get the information to me. His supervisor then told me that he could email it to me right away, but he had no right to do so and that they had people who worked overseas trying to settle the same manner with help from their wives so I was "nothing," and when I asked for his name? Hung up the phone on me.

There is something seriously wrong with this. I dealt with people before who had nasty personalities but to run into the same people, worker and supervisor with the same attitude?

If you have to be like those two examples, then don't work in that position. Get another position in the same job or another job altogether if that doesn't work. I know some people simply don't care but you wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you? This is a case of being selfish.

When I wasn't 100% at Banana republic, which worked with people as well as idiots, I told my boss or I didn't come to work. I know the economy is hard but with this attitude not only does it bring down the moral of the company, but you might get laid off anyway and/or your salary cut just because you're cynical.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 30 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#11 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I've got a complaint about customer service, and I'd love to hear the views of you experienced CS people about this.

I've been having problems with my DSL service going out. I spent a long time on the phone yesterday with AT&T's service dept. trying to get things straightened out. This morning, I had to jump out of the shower to answer the phone, which turned out to be a recorded message telling me that the AT&T service tech really needed to speak to me, and to wait on the line for him. This was followed by another recording telling me that the waiting time would be about 20 minutes.

WTF?!?! You call someone and expect them to sit around with their thumb up their butt waiting for you to get around to picking up the call you're making? Here I am, dripping wet, trying to get out of here to sign the admission papers for the nursing home I just sent my mother to, then to go deal with the lawyer and banks. Does the phone company really not know how to make a phone call? You dial the number, and when you hear someone say hello, you talk to them. Is that so hard to figure out? Does AT&T really have that little regard for their customers?

Then on top of that, when you call to get your internet working, they play recordings telling you to go to their website. Even free internet isn't worth all of this trouble (I own AT&T stock, and the dividend checks reimburse me for the bills.)

Can anyone out there recommend another DSL IP that DOESN'T jerk its customers around like this?
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

#12 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I honestly don't find it alright. We are hurting for jobs, but we let another country get stuff that people are willing to do? Cmon. I understand its cheaper, but most of those owners complain unemployed people are lazy. Whatever. Lol Anyway, I generally have a disdain whenever i hear a foreign voice. Most of the time, i can barely understand. Its rare i can understand a foriegn agent. Its really annoying.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#13 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostSmokey, on 02 July 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I've got a complaint about customer service, and I'd love to hear the views of you experienced CS people about this.

I've been having problems with my DSL service going out. I spent a long time on the phone yesterday with AT&T's service dept. trying to get things straightened out. This morning, I had to jump out of the shower to answer the phone, which turned out to be a recorded message telling me that the AT&T service tech really needed to speak to me, and to wait on the line for him. This was followed by another recording telling me that the waiting time would be about 20 minutes.

WTF?!?! You call someone and expect them to sit around with their thumb up their butt waiting for you to get around to picking up the call you're making? Here I am, dripping wet, trying to get out of here to sign the admission papers for the nursing home I just sent my mother to, then to go deal with the lawyer and banks. Does the phone company really not know how to make a phone call? You dial the number, and when you hear someone say hello, you talk to them. Is that so hard to figure out? Does AT&T really have that little regard for their customers?

Then on top of that, when you call to get your internet working, they play recordings telling you to go to their website. Even free internet isn't worth all of this trouble (I own AT&T stock, and the dividend checks reimburse me for the bills.)

Can anyone out there recommend another DSL IP that DOESN'T jerk its customers around like this?

Ohhh, AT&T...my parents have them, and I can honestly say I was happy as a clam when I moved in with Jamie. (We've had Comcast for our internet for as long as he's lived here.)

Personally, and from a CS standpoint, I'd say that that is pretty ridiculous. I can't claim to know how phone company call centers work, but it sounds like they did an auto dial, then left you in a queue to speak to the next available service tech. Which, given the ultra-high-volume of calls they get, would make sense, given that they likely want to reduce the amount of phone time they themselves have to use.

#14 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 02 July 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Ohhh, AT&T...my parents have them, and I can honestly say I was happy as a clam when I moved in with Jamie. (We've had Comcast for our internet for as long as he's lived here.)

Personally, and from a CS standpoint, I'd say that that is pretty ridiculous. I can't claim to know how phone company call centers work, but it sounds like they did an auto dial, then left you in a queue to speak to the next available service tech. Which, given the ultra-high-volume of calls they get, would make sense, given that they likely want to reduce the amount of phone time they themselves have to use.

I could understand if I called them, but they called me. Would it kill the techs to dial a number themselves if they need to talk to a customer, rather than this "I'm more important than you so you can just sit there and wait for me until I fell like talking to you" treatment? As much as I love and respect them, I'd dismiss any of my team if I caught them treating an attendee like that.

#15 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 02 July 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

A lot of problems customers have can be solved in the automated system which is why they want you to go through the prompts before you get to someone. The only real problem I've ever had with this and getting to someone in general is US Bank which made me know what my account number was to get to an actual live person. No one ever knows their account number.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#16 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 02 July 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

A lot of problems customers have can be solved in the automated system which is why they want you to go through the prompts before you get to someone. The only real problem I've ever had with this and getting to someone in general is US Bank which made me know what my account number was to get to an actual live person. No one ever knows their account number.

Sometimes the prompts get on my nerves, because they loop or you don't have all the information as formentioned =_=

Or you're forced to do the prompts when the prompts don't cover your question and you can't go straight to the operator until you past the loop and it prompts you.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users