Anime Central Forums: Taxes... - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Taxes... The Real problem with taxes.

#31 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostJeff, on 20 June 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

If you're buying a Rolls Royce, you can afford a Rolls Royce. If you're buying a 2000 dollar car, you probably can't afford anything better and need to get to and from your low paying job.

Just saying.


In the words of Adam Carolla:

It used to be, back in the day, a father would be walking his son down the sidewalk and he would see a guy go by in a Rolls Royce and the father would say “there goes Mr. Jenkins. Look up to him. That guy works hard. That guy build a company; that guy built an empire and now look at him, he’s got his Rolls Royce driving up the hill.”

But what do we do now? Now it like ohh, look at him. Look at him. Does he need that car? Why’s he need that car? I’m driving a Chevet. Why’s he get to drive that car? Let’s go up there and throw a rock at it.

That ain’t going to help you get out of the Chevet.

#32 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 25 June 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

In the words of Adam Carolla:

It used to be, back in the day, a father would be walking his son down the sidewalk and he would see a guy go by in a Rolls Royce and the father would say “there goes Mr. Jenkins. Look up to him. That guy works hard. That guy build a company; that guy built an empire and now look at him, he’s got his Rolls Royce driving up the hill.”

But what do we do now? Now it like ohh, look at him. Look at him. Does he need that car? Why’s he need that car? I’m driving a Chevet. Why’s he get to drive that car? Let’s go up there and throw a rock at it.

That ain’t going to help you get out of the Chevet.

Very true.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#33 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,370
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

Amen, Minecraftsmurf. That's one of the best commentaries on modern life I've ever read.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
*wipes away a tear*
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#34 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 25 June 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

In the words of Adam Carolla:

It used to be, back in the day, a father would be walking his son down the sidewalk and he would see a guy go by in a Rolls Royce and the father would say “there goes Mr. Jenkins. Look up to him. That guy works hard. That guy build a company; that guy built an empire and now look at him, he’s got his Rolls Royce driving up the hill.”

But what do we do now? Now it like ohh, look at him. Look at him. Does he need that car? Why’s he need that car? I’m driving a Chevet. Why’s he get to drive that car? Let’s go up there and throw a rock at it.

That ain’t going to help you get out of the Chevet.


Back in that day ALL of America was prosperous. That's the time period where we were living the American Dream...and people believed it. It's where the average man could get to that level. Before inflation became more inflated. Yeah, id look up to them too. But let's take a look at what happens now if the situation happened. What would we see?

Would that father tell his son to look up to the guy still after he gets a billion figure bailout?

"Son, don't worry, if you rich like Mr. Jenkins and screw up, don't worry, you'll just get another free chance. Aspire to be like him"

Yeah, i can see why opinions have changed. Sides if you want to cling to the opinions on that period, do you cling to pink think ideas and racism? Because that same dad would tell his son to find a wife to make his kids and stay in the kitchen. (tho again, at that time, one working person could support a household.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#35 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130
  • Posts: 2,685
  • Joined: 31-January 06
  • Location:Standing at the crossroads of 'Law' & 'Order'

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

The problem with taxes is how many people don't understand how they work and what all they pay for.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#36 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Back in that day ALL of America was prosperous. That's the time period where we were living the American Dream...and people believed it. It's where the average man could get to that level. Before inflation became more inflated. Yeah, id look up to them too. But let's take a look at what happens now if the situation happened. What would we see?

Would that father tell his son to look up to the guy still after he gets a billion figure bailout?

"Son, don't worry, if you rich like Mr. Jenkins and screw up, don't worry, you'll just get another free chance. Aspire to be like him"

Yeah, i can see why opinions have changed. Sides if you want to cling to the opinions on that period, do you cling to pink think ideas and racism? Because that same dad would tell his son to find a wife to make his kids and stay in the kitchen. (tho again, at that time, one working person could support a household.

Back in the day he wouldn't have gotten a bailout. He would have failed like many other compaines and had to start all over again.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#37 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Back in that day ALL of America was prosperous. That's the time period where we were living the American Dream...and people believed it. It's where the average man could get to that level. Before inflation became more inflated. Yeah, id look up to them too. But let's take a look at what happens now if the situation happened. What would we see?

Would that father tell his son to look up to the guy still after he gets a billion figure bailout?

"Son, don't worry, if you rich like Mr. Jenkins and screw up, don't worry, you'll just get another free chance. Aspire to be like him"

Yeah, i can see why opinions have changed. Sides if you want to cling to the opinions on that period, do you cling to pink think ideas and racism? Because that same dad would tell his son to find a wife to make his kids and stay in the kitchen. (tho again, at that time, one working person could support a household.


Good example of liberalism! Victimize everyone. :D You can't victimize me!! I refuse to be a victim! *sips coffee proudly*

#38 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 27 June 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Good example of liberalism! Victimize everyone. :D You can't victimize me!! I refuse to be a victim! *sips coffee proudly*


Liberals don't victimize.

I do agree with Xeno though; back then racism was at an all time high and they had stuff like the World wars and the Cold war. Back then you could work at 14 among other things.

Times and people change. You used to be able to have people, strangers, in your house. You can't do that anymore. People have grown bitter with time as well. I rather live in this area than the time period of my mother.

On topic, my issue with taxes was that the government doesn't put the money back into the community and it runs back into private investors among other things most of the time.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 27 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#39 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 27 June 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Liberals don't victimize.

I do agree with Xeno though; back then racism was at an all time high and they had stuff like the World wars and the Cold war. Back then you could work at 14 among other things.

Times and people change. You used to be able to have people, strangers, in your house. You can't do that anymore. People have grown bitter with time as well. I rather live in this area than the time period of my mother.

On topic, my issue with taxes was that the government doesn't put the money back into the community and it runs back into private investors among other things most of the time.


High School 1959 vs 2009

Read by the Famous: Michael Savage

Words:

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1959 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school..

1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives, they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1959 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.


1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is then told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1959 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1959 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. The ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an ant hill.

1959 – Most of the Ants die.

2009 – The ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents, and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Ah, decadence over the years. Can I have a time machine please?

#40 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 27 June 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

High School 1959 vs 2009

Read by the Famous: Michael Savage

Words:

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1959 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school..

1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives, they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1959 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.


1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is then told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1959 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1959 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. The ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an ant hill.

1959 – Most of the Ants die.

2009 – The ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents, and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Ah, decadence over the years. Can I have a time machine please?


Play some heavy metal music!

#41 User is offline   JujuFox 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794
  • Posts: 565
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Location:Carol Stream

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Um... where did you come up with all these "scenarios"? It's nice to play pretend, but at least 3 of those I have real-world examples of not going down that way. Example: hugs are given daily at schools. Kids will line up to hug their teachers goodbye at the end of the day. I've seen this firsthand volunteering at school.

Weren't we talking about taxes?

How come some states still don't have sales tax? Why are some states so dependent on sales tax? These are the things I wonder about...
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#42 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 June 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Um... where did you come up with all these "scenarios"? It's nice to play pretend, but at least 3 of those I have real-world examples of not going down that way. Example: hugs are given daily at schools. Kids will line up to hug their teachers goodbye at the end of the day. I've seen this firsthand volunteering at school.

Weren't we talking about taxes?

How come some states still don't have sales tax? Why are some states so dependent on sales tax? These are the things I wonder about...


Perhaps it all relates to the top 10% of the 79% (of Americans who actually work) paying roughly 56% of the total tax burden for 100% (including all those not working)? Idk about your opinions, however, I see a nation with nearly 1/4 of its population not working... inevitably failing.

#43 User is offline   JujuFox 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794
  • Posts: 565
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Location:Carol Stream

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 27 June 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Perhaps it all relates to the top 10% of the 79% (of Americans who actually work) paying roughly 56% of the total tax burden for 100% (including all those not working)? Idk about your opinions, however, I see a nation with nearly 1/4 of its population not working... inevitably failing.

I'm a bit confused about why you consider those who don't work as not paying taxes. If you were laid off and receiving unemployment benefits you still have to pay income taxes since you are still receiving an income via unemployment checks. I choose to have my taxes withheld so that I don't have to pay them out later.

Also, did you factor in those full time college students who also work? That was me, a full time student with part time work, and I paid the state and feds what I owed in income taxes.

Also also also, I just applied for a job for a well known studio in Chi-town, so I am hoping to finally catch a break and land this one!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#44 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 27 June 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Good example of liberalism! Victimize everyone. :D You can't victimize me!! I refuse to be a victim! *sips coffee proudly*


You are aware that was just a minor point of what I said right? Were you too busy sipping on your coffee on the rest of my post? (That wasn't related to the issue, I was simply stating (since we were going back in time a bit) that there were many varying issues)

Also DS, I wouldn't be so sure they wouldn't get a bailout. America has always been on the "Family Jewels" of big business. Maybe we should go back in time before 8 hours of work, 8 hours of rest, 8 hours of leisure. Give big business a break in treating humans humanely.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#45 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Good Luck Juju! :D

Also Fuji, just to add on the Cold War, the cold war really wasn't much different for the average people...well besides weapons and space technology. lol (but it did spark the Korean War, Vietnam War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis...which American folk obviously worried about. On another issue, of one of the FEW things I'll give props to Reagan for is that he did end the Cold War.)

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 27 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#46 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Also DS, I wouldn't be so sure they wouldn't get a bailout. America has always been on the "Family Jewels" of big business. Maybe we should go back in time before 8 hours of work, 8 hours of rest, 8 hours of leisure. Give big business a break in treating humans humanely.

I don't think so. Most compaines would just get bought out. Perfect example. Nobody bailed out Time Warner when things horriable for that company. They had to get bought by AOL to stay alive. Even though before then they were one of the biggist names in entertainment (tv, movies, etc.) Nobody bailed out WCW even though they went to soaring levels and became the biggist name in wrestling. They failed and had to be bought up as well. Bail outs are a fairly new scare tactic by politictions (both left and right) to make us think that somehow if this company fails It'll be gone forever and NOBODY can make another company like them. It's a crock.

Also I think working has gotten easier over the years. Think of all the advances in technology just for filing for compaines. Think of all the tools that got smaller, easier, and safer for workers. I remember back in the day my dad working over 8 hours a day EVERY DAY at his job. And that was normal. His father had it even worse. If you think 8 hours of work a day is hard try talking to older people.

This post has been edited by Dark Stranger: 27 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#47 User is offline   JujuFox 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794
  • Posts: 565
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Location:Carol Stream

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Good Luck Juju! :D

Thanks!

View PostDark Stranger, on 27 June 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Also I'd working has gotten easier over the years. Think of all the advances in technology just for filing for compaines. Think of all the tools that got smaller, easier, and safer for workers. I remember back in the day my dad working over 8 hours a day EVERY DAY had his job. And that was normal. His father had it even worse. If you think 8 hours of work a day is hard try talking to older people.

Working has gotten easier! Businesses can't cut corners like they used to, and workers finally can get fair hours and wages and safe work environments.
My grandpa is mostly deaf from working in a metal stamping plant. Nowadays workers are required to wear earplugs. They just didn't know any better back then. Things have gotten much safer due to technology, research, unions(not a fan of them), and lots government regulations.

Businesses aren't the bad guys here. I believe big government is. Remember that recent GSA scandal? Or the $1 Million price tag on a Hawaii "convention" for 9th circuit judges? What exactly is my tax money paying for? Vacations? ACen is a 30min drive from me, and that was my vacation for the year, and I was working all three days.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#48 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

When I did my state taxes this year I found out the state owed me a sum of $99.86.

I sent my taxes in before April 15th.

It's now almost July and I have yet to receive my tax return from the state.

They probably can't afford to pay people's tax refunds. :P
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#49 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 June 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm a bit confused about why you consider those who don't work as not paying taxes. If you were laid off and receiving unemployment benefits you still have to pay income taxes since you are still receiving an income via unemployment checks. I choose to have my taxes withheld so that I don't have to pay them out later.

Also, did you factor in those full time college students who also work? That was me, a full time student with part time work, and I paid the state and feds what I owed in income taxes.

Also also also, I just applied for a job for a well known studio in Chi-town, so I am hoping to finally catch a break and land this one!


Oh good luck! I hope you get it! Seriously I do.

I read the tl;dr post and I'm still confused mine. Like ummm.....-rubs head-

Also everyone pays taxes; even lazy people. Those taxes on drinks that the homeless bums outside get change from around my area is an example. You can't avoid taxes as a human; they just come in different shades and forms.

@Xeno: I agree; Regan did settle that. I was referring to how paranoid and on edge people were during that one time period, to the point of calling everyone a "communist!" But that was also during the time that you used to smoke weed and forget about thing/love and peace/etc. We are not that crazy anymore, well unless you count paranoid people in general.

Work is easier! Back in the old days you used to work and not have Union laws. If you worked at the age of 14 or so you wasn't protected and forget about getting injury! Now you have options.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#50 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 June 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:


Working has gotten easier! Businesses can't cut corners like they used to, and workers finally can get fair hours and wages and safe work environments.
My grandpa is mostly deaf from working in a metal stamping plant. Nowadays workers are required to wear earplugs. They just didn't know any better back then. Things have gotten much safer due to technology, research, unions(not a fan of them), and lots government regulations..

Your right. But it wasn't just unions and stuff making them change either. They also used technology and changed because they knew it would be more effectivce as well. I wasn't saying they were they bad guys either.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#51 User is offline   JujuFox 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794
  • Posts: 565
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Location:Carol Stream

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 27 June 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Your right. But it wasn't just unions and stuff making them change either. They also used technology and changed because they knew it would be more effectivce as well. I wasn't saying they were they bad guys either.

I know you weren't; I was agreeing with you!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#52 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 27 June 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

I don't think so. Most compaines would just get bought out. Perfect example. Nobody bailed out Time Warner when things horriable for that company. They had to get bought by AOL to stay alive. Even though before then they were one of the biggist names in entertainment (tv, movies, etc.) Nobody bailed out WCW even though they went to soaring levels and became the biggist name in wrestling. They failed and had to be bought up as well. Bail outs are a fairly new scare tactic by politictions (both left and right) to make us think that somehow if this company fails It'll be gone forever and NOBODY can make another company like them. It's a crock.

Also I think working has gotten easier over the years. Think of all the advances in technology just for filing for compaines. Think of all the tools that got smaller, easier, and safer for workers. I remember back in the day my dad working over 8 hours a day EVERY DAY at his job. And that was normal. His father had it even worse. If you think 8 hours of work a day is hard try talking to older people.


Can't do full reply now, but i think you miss understood what i said. I was being sarcastic. No one should have to go back before the 3 8s deal.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#53 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 28 June 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

I know you weren't; I was agreeing with you!

Yay.

View PostXenoBlade, on 28 June 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Can't do full reply now, but i think you miss understood what i said. I was being sarcastic. No one should have to go back before the 3 8s deal.

oh. My bad. Man we really should have a icon for sarcasm. lol
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#54 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 27 June 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm a bit confused about why you consider those who don't work as not paying taxes. If you were laid off and receiving unemployment benefits you still have to pay income taxes since you are still receiving an income via unemployment checks. I choose to have my taxes withheld so that I don't have to pay them out later.

Also, did you factor in those full time college students who also work? That was me, a full time student with part time work, and I paid the state and feds what I owed in income taxes.

Also also also, I just applied for a job for a well known studio in Chi-town, so I am hoping to finally catch a break and land this one!


*reads the quote multiple times sipping coffee*

The top 10% pay roughly 56% of the nations total tax burden (in Cali the top 1% [yes 'one'] pays nearly 60% of the states total tax burden). However... there is still 44% uncalled for. The taxes that those who are collecting benefits, and the college kids that are working part time, and the retired, etc pay add up to a rather small fraction of that 44%.

Also, in many cases individuals on aid programs receive more money in their tax return than they paid...(especially if they have multiple children as each child can be claimed).

Additionally, good luck on your job interview! :D

#55 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

You are aware that was just a minor point of what I said right? Were you too busy sipping on your coffee on the rest of my post? (That wasn't related to the issue, I was simply stating (since we were going back in time a bit) that there were many varying issues)

Also DS, I wouldn't be so sure they wouldn't get a bailout. America has always been on the "Family Jewels" of big business. Maybe we should go back in time before 8 hours of work, 8 hours of rest, 8 hours of leisure. Give big business a break in treating humans humanely.


Perhaps it was a minor point to you. :D However, it was a fabulous example to me!

#56 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 30 June 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Perhaps it was a minor point to you. :D However, it was a fabulous example to me!


Okay...but you haven't addressed my point. Not a strong counter if you only go directly to one.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#57 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on 01 July 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

Okay...but you haven't addressed my point. Not a strong counter if you only go directly to one.


Oh... I'm truly sorry. I honestly thought that your statement was based on sarcasm punning liberal ideals and the their approach to label an individual as a victim to nullify his or her own responsibilities. *sighs lightly* I'll address that with a very simplistic approach later.

#58 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

See. We need a sarcasim button. lol
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#59 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 30 June 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

*reads the quote multiple times sipping coffee*

The top 10% pay roughly 56% of the nations total tax burden (in Cali the top 1% [yes 'one'] pays nearly 60% of the states total tax burden). However... there is still 44% uncalled for. The taxes that those who are collecting benefits, and the college kids that are working part time, and the retired, etc pay add up to a rather small fraction of that 44%.

Also, in many cases individuals on aid programs receive more money in their tax return than they paid...(especially if they have multiple children as each child can be claimed).

Additionally, good luck on your job interview! :D


Hmmmm...it still doesn't count state tax or individual tax though. I mean you have no idea what each person on aid programs go through unless you go through them yourself. Everyone in each state is different.

Like here in Illinois we have the highest state tax. Being on aid means you don't get income tax back and in some cases you have to pay the state back money if you work at all and you're still paying tax on stuff. A pop here with tax sometimes is a good 2.50-4.00 dollars with tax. No this isn't a joke; places like Jewels and Walgreens are expensive.

I ended up oweing the state 90-150 dollars for working for about 5-10 hours and I only made a good 80 bucks. My unemployment was a good 340 every two weeks. The only reason why I have an extension is because of Obama to be honest. Rent here is 500-600 dollars a month, not counting gas or lights or internet.

I made more money when I worked than when I was on aid, even though it was roughly about 8.60 per hr.

I don't play the victim or make anyone the victim or the like and I consider myself a liberal. The reason why I am is because I'm Pro-choice but that's another thread and there is too much dark history behind why I choose that path.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#60 User is offline   XenoBlade 

  • Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384
  • Posts: 5,066
  • Joined: 15-February 07
  • Location:St.Louis

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Back in that day ALL of America was prosperous. That's the time period where we were living the American Dream...and people believed it. It's where the average man could get to that level. Before inflation became more inflated. Yeah, id look up to them too. But let's take a look at what happens now if the situation happened. What would we see?

Would that father tell his son to look up to the guy still after he gets a billion figure bailout?

"Son, don't worry, if you rich like Mr. Jenkins and screw up, don't worry, you'll just get another free chance. Aspire to be like him"

Yeah, i can see why opinions have changed. Sides if you want to cling to the opinions on that period, do you cling to pink think ideas and racism? Because that same dad would tell his son to find a wife to make his kids and stay in the kitchen. (tho again, at that time, one working person could support a household.



View Postminecraftsmurf, on 01 July 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Oh... I'm truly sorry. I honestly thought that your statement was based on sarcasm punning liberal ideals and the their approach to label an individual as a victim to nullify his or her own responsibilities. *sighs lightly* I'll address that with a very simplistic approach later.


I fail to see, (what I bolded) victimizes anyone. And that was the my response to what you posted. What I posted was sarcasm, as in what lesson is there to learn from that? What lesson to we learn from the better off people during this day? The thought of being the best you can be has never changed. Don't put every person who wants a free ride in with people who want the best for themselves. You like to always label things "liberal this liberal that" in a negative way, but sounds like a very conservative way of thinking. Just blaming liberals and how they want to make everyone lazy and blah blah blah. (Just for the record, I'm neither side myself with liberal or conservative. I generally keep my head out of politics. Tho I can say I generally agree with liberal ideas, and hate how unless you have money, you don't matter views with the conservatives.

I'll address that with a very simplistic approach later. Spare me the snide remarks mmk?
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users