• This topic is locked

New macpro A giant finger from apple.

#1 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

So I've never been a big apple fan. Mostly just due to personal preferance. But this year Apple decieded to just say, "hey, you know what would be awesome? If we totally smushed everything together so that if anything breaks people need to just buy another laptop from us. Yay!"

Perfect example, they soldered the RAM to the logic board. yay. no personal RAM upgrades for you.
also there are the custom screws, mac only model harddrive, all the batteries are gluded into the computer, and the grand daddy of them all? The entire display assembly is FUSED together. TADA!
Now in case your wondering if i'm "exaggerating" here's the site that took it all apart: http://ifixit.org/27...able-untenable/

So apple fans? (cuz I know there should be at least some on here). What do you think? Anybody gonna get this new model?
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#2 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

I never understood Apple computers.
What does it do that any other PC's, at a fraction of the cost, can't?
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 15 June 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

I never understood Apple computers.
What does it do that any other PC's, at a fraction of the cost, can't?

-Better usage of programs

-Better usage of media and photoshop programs

-Better security and protection against spywear and hijacking.

Dark to answer your question, I would say ask an apple rep and do some internet searching before you buy an apple computer, like with any other computer. You can't go by that. It's impossible to not upgrade or get something new; stuff wears down over time and over years. You have to replace everything eventually.

Also, read this: If you get an apple make sure to get a window OS as well. Seriously you need it. Most websites don't even run Mac os, sadly, and a lot of programs need a windows os to run them.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 June 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Also, read this: If you get an apple make sure to get a window OS as well. Seriously you need it. Most websites don't even run Mac os, sadly, and a lot of programs need a windows os to run them.

link me some and we'll try it. Because I have yet to run into a website that didn't work. Couple programs ,yes , but most things are mac friendly these days.

And we've owned a our house mac for nearly 5 years and it runs beautifully ( just decided to upgrade the software because of a newer ipod but besides that, quite swell)

And I've owned my lil white macbook for over a year, I sleep with it, I never turn it off, I drop it. It works very very well. I hardly hear the fan and it stays cool even when being used for hours on end.

The charm of the mac is it is clean. It is one device with very few wires.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

link me some and we'll try it. Because I have yet to run into a website that didn't work. Couple programs ,yes , but most things are mac friendly these days.

And we've owned a our house mac for nearly 5 years and it runs beautifully ( just decided to upgrade the software because of a newer ipod but besides that, quite swell)

And I've owned my lil white macbook for over a year, I sleep with it, I never turn it off, I drop it. It works very very well. I hardly hear the fan and it stays cool even when being used for hours on end.

The charm of the mac is it is clean. It is one device with very few wires.

Sure.

Several Otome games:

IB
Hetalia
Planets
KO
Happiness
Type Moon battle
etc.

Some mmos:
Gunbound
Gaia online
etc.

Some emulators:
No GBA
Some Dreamcast emulators

Deviantart was buggy.

Certain version of Photoshop refuse to run on Macs; unless they changed the os. The last time I tried to use CS it refuse to work right. The media PS did work right but the image only one didn't.

It depends really, but most mac owners I know have Windows os; either 7 or XP because of this issue.

EDIT: It doesn't mean the Mac is bad; it just means that the internet generally sucks. Linux also has the same issue :/

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 15 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 June 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Sure.

Several Otome games:

IB
Hetalia
Planets
KO
Happiness
Type Moon battle
etc.

Some mmos:
Gunbound
Gaia online
etc.

Some emulators:
No GBA
Some Dreamcast emulators

Deviantart was buggy.

Certain version of Photoshop refuse to run on Macs; unless they changed the os. The last time I tried to use CS it refuse to work right. The media PS did work right but the image only one didn't.

It depends really, but most mac owners I know have Windows os; either 7 or XP because of this issue.

EDIT: It doesn't mean the Mac is bad; it just means that the internet generally sucks. Linux also has the same issue :/

I said websites.
deviant art runs peachy.
gaia runs fine as well. ( as well as the terrible mmo that accompanied that.)

what websites do not run on a mac?

btw my sister owns a decent laptop and the internet is generally an easier connect on my macbook ( and in comparison, sucks less)

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 15 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 June 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

-Better usage of programs

-Better usage of media and photoshop programs

-Better security and protection against spywear and hijacking.

I have to interject here. I used a Mac desktop at my last job, and I primarily worked in Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, and Flex. I've never had so many crashes in Photoshop before! This Mac hated Adobe products. Not to mention the occasional freezing problems. No blue screens, but my Mac would just freeze up if I had two Adobe programs up at the same time. Rendering in After Effects was a chore. I had to just step away from the computer and let it run lest it freeze on me and force me to restart it.

Also, better security on a Mac? You must have missed this article from April when a report found that half a million macs were infected with malware.

EDIT: since people are talking about websites, I've never had a problem with any website on a Mac. I only used FireFox though, and not Safari.

On a side note, my husband just got the retina display MacBook Pro for work. So we will be finding out just how well this thing performs.

This post has been edited by JujuFox: 15 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#8 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 15 June 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

I said websites.
deviant art runs peachy.
gaia runs fine as well. ( as well as the terrible mmo that accompanied that.)

what websites do not run on a mac?

btw my sister owns a decent laptop and the internet is generally an easier connect on my macbook ( and in comparison, sucks less)

Hey no need to get defensive.

I tried said websites a while ago (like back in college,) so if they updated the OS then I wouldn't know. I am simply going by experience as well as what other mac users told me from Atlus forums like a month back. We had a lot of threads asking about mac advice and the mac users always said to get a copy of Windows along with the Mac os just in case.

EDIT: The games I tried recently on a friend's though.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 15 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#9 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Hey no need to get defensive.

I tried said websites a while ago (like back in college,) so if they updated the OS then I wouldn't know. I am simply going by experience as well as what other mac users told me from Atlus forums like a month back. We had a lot of threads asking about mac advice and the mac users always said to get a copy of Windows along with the Mac os just in case.

EDIT: The games I tried recently on a friend's though.

... how did you get a defensive tone out of that?

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 15 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 15 June 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

... how did you get a defensive tone out of that?

Well it was the whole: "what websites don't run on a mac and how is that possible since they run on mine and I have a mac and loving it," that made me think you was being defense towards macs. But umm this is the internet so I have no idea if you were or not :/

I got that feeling from you pointing out that one fact about Macs and websites, and putting how you used macs with ease, etc. as a counter arguement? If you weren't then I made a mistake and apologize.

I was just telling Dark that he might need a Windows OS as well as the Mac OS. Heck I like ubuntu but I know that many websites can't run it without being technical.

Example: Simple stuff like IDES you need to have IE only; Safari and Firefox won't run on it. So it was just a recommendation just in case he might run into such issues using a Mac and need to use the OS without rage quitting because his mac can't run X program or X game or X site.

It's like telling someone to buy a 360 out of the new generation systems but don't mention the Red ring of death because it never happened before to the person suggesting it and the person should know how to avoid it anyway, since it's common sense.

That's if Dark does buy a Mac.

@JujuFox: I actually pointed out in a later message that PS is buggy and re corrected myself! It depends on what media you're using exactly. Like making music/etc. would run good on a mac since I used to do media and what may have you using macs, along with voice samplings for animation. But we needed to use PCs just for Photoshop. I had experience with both but the only reason why I prefer pcs is because of the fact that I play a lot of/translate a lot of otome games.

Also compared to Firefox and IE, Opera and Safari are safer. I'm not saying that Opera/Safari are 100%, because you can get malware no matter what you do as you pointed out, but it's less likely than Firefox/IE, since they are used more and more user friendly.

There was an article that pointed it out but it's 3am and I have to go find it.

Bottom line is that Macs are not bad, just really pricey, and if you can buy both do so, but don't expect a Mac to last forever or a pc either.

Pcs are not over Macs and Macs are not over Pcs and Ubuntu is not better than both. It's all a matter of opinion and what Dark really is looking for, or anyone for that matter.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 16 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#11 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Oh yay! A Mac debate.

Well I can give a reasons why I don't own any Apple products.

1) The MacOS sucks. The MacOS is based on a Unix like kernel called FreeBSD (which is good), but Apple is not using it well. My experience with Mac is I've never seen an OS be so memory hungry in my life. I start up Photoshop on Win7, about 1GB of memory used (which is not that great), but I start up Photoshop on Lion and there's over 2GB of used memory in buffer? Seriously? Most computers don't have more than 4GB of memory in them. This means over half of my computer's resources are tied up in Photoshop alone? I can go on why I really don't care for the MacOS, but I'm going to stop here.

2) The hardware sucks. Once upon a time a friend had a MacBook and the hard drive died on it. She asked me if I could take a look at it. Up for a challenge, I said sure, why not. Usually a hard drive replacement is a fairly simple task on any other hardware (Remove bad hard drive, buy new hard drive, install new hard drive, install OS. done!), but doing a hard drive replacement on a MacBook was a nightmare. First off, as the original article confirmed there are proprietary screws and connecting parts that must be BROKEN to access it. The dead hard drive was a standard SATA hard drive, but it had a little apple logo on it. Once I saw this, I knew I was in a world of hurt. So I purchased a new SATA hard drive from newegg and slapped it in. I tried to put the laptop together the best I could, but it wasn't perfect because I just didn't have the tools for it. I had the OSX Leopard disk and I'll just stop there. It was a total nightmare to try to get working, I did eventually get it working with some unethical hacking.

3) The Apple cult. Sorry guys, but I have to go here. I hate the Apple cult. While this doesn't apply to everyone, I've met many Apple owners that have the general consensus of "My /*Insert device here*/ is better than yours because it was made by the almighty Apple Inc." I'm mean, really? I will give Apple credit though. They have innovated some pretty cool stuff. The one product they created which is pretty nice is the iPhone. They made an amazing interface for the ultimate personal computer. Yes, my Asus laptop may have been on the clearance alise at Tiger Direct and the battery life may be really bad, but my Asus laptop does everything I want it to do for the fraction of the price of your MacBook. Not only that, but I can do what I want to it like upgrade the memory or change the hard drive.

4) Software available to MacOS. The software selection is not great for MacOS. The software that is available is usually very expensive when compared to a Windows alternative. Developing software for any Apple product is usually not a fun experience either. A great example of this is Apps from the App store for iPhone vs Apps from the Android market. In order to get your application you developed into the App store for iPhone you must pay Apple to list and review your application. Android is open and completely free. As an amateur software developer, I am very reluctant to develop for a platform that I need pay them in order to develop for them (if that makes sense.)

Well, that's enough I guess. About me though? I'm a linux user. I run OpenSUSE on my personal computer an I run Windows virtually for applications that just don't work in linux. Most of the programs I use on my linux machine were 100% free. Linux isn't perfect though. It can be a royal pain in the #$@ to get it to work the way you want it to. I really don't recommend it to anyone unless you're a computer hobbyist. We do have some good things going for us though. There's a lot of free applications that work great that are available for linux distros. Thanks to the humble indie bundle we have some awesome games that work linux natively. http://www.humblebundle.com/
~~

#12 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I like my Mac. I like Windows (I am kinda excited to see and use Windows 8). And I like Linux. WHAAAAAT? BLASPHEMY! I am currently working on triple booting in a giant hard drive. All OS have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the UNIX based OS (and redx1 I do agree apple is not using their unix integration well and Lion is so RAM hungry.) ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. I regret moving up to Lion. I wished I stayed on Snow Leopard. But I'm downgrading soon so it's all good :P. I miss PowerPC. XD That's when I thought Mac was awesome. they good ol snow leopard days. My friend and I were just having a 2 hour long conversation about this. (we are both huge mac users, he also uses it for audio engineering as well) and we just vented to each other of how Lion is blech lol.

I as well have yet to find a website that doesn't work on Mac, and emulators do work on Mac, I have used them but they don't work as well on the newest OS--10.7 aka Lion. The ones I use (which do PS2, N64) work fine on Snow Leopard. I'm a huge apple computer fan myself, but recently I haven't been happy with their new OS. I'm actually downgrading to the older OS because it's not as RAM hungry and doesn't eat so much battery on my almost 2 year old mac book pro. It works great, does what I need it to do--but honestly I don't like their newest operating system. I've never had so many crashes. Never had that on Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6). I'll be honest, I haven't been super happy with what apple has been doing with their products or software. I'd like to say what I'd change but you never know who is reading this >.>. I think apple would have been better off as a software development company instead and not did any hardware. *shrug* oh well.

I hadn't heard about the fusing thing though, interesting. I am not surprised. Apple gets very angry when people exchange out their HDs, optical drives and even logic boards...so I guess they're trying to stop that?

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 16 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#13 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 15 June 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

So I've never been a big apple fan. Mostly just due to personal preferance. But this year Apple decieded to just say, "hey, you know what would be awesome? If we totally smushed everything together so that if anything breaks people need to just buy another laptop from us. Yay!"

I'm not entirely surprised Apple would do this... they are very much into "all in one" thing. I still never cared much for Macs.

My Mac (iMac running Snow Leopard) at work is satisfactory. Its good enough to do what I need at work, but I prefer my home computer (Windows 7). I like having the flexibility with hardware... I used my old computer a couple years longer than expected because I was able to upgrade the RAM. I also feel like Win7 is on average easier to use, but its probably just because I've used Windows systems for so long.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#14 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postredx1, on 16 June 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

A great example of this is Apps from the App store for iPhone vs Apps from the Android market. In order to get your application you developed into the App store for iPhone you must pay Apple to list and review your application. Android is open and completely free. As an amateur software developer, I am very reluctant to develop for a platform that I need pay them in order to develop for them (if that makes sense.)

Sorry Red, gonna have to disagree with you there as an old programmer myself. You pay a yearly subscription fee to be an Apple programmer, where you do get stuff, its not just a name. You get to program in and see new OS's far before others are able to, as well as support.

As for paying to be reviewed, not sure where you got that from. Once you have your program all set, you send it to be reviewed just so Apple makes sure your program does what you say it does, is not dangerous, and contains no explicit adult stuff. Once that is done, then the program is available in the App store. That entire process is free. Apple does take a small percentage out of each sale, but that's something every company I've seen do as well, and a lot of times, taking more than what Apple takes.

@ Fujoshi: I think what Linlin was referencing to was that she asked for some websites and you named mainly programs. She brought up that you didn't actually answer what she asked and then you started calling her defensive.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#15 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 16 June 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Example: Simple stuff like IDES you need to have IE only; Safari and Firefox won't run on it. So it was just a recommendation just in case he might run into such issues using a Mac and need to use the OS without rage quitting because his mac can't run X program or X game or X site.

IDES? IL Dept of Employment Security? I've been unemployed for almost a year sadly, and I use IDES's website on FireFox to certify. It is FF friendly now. :)

The internet is accessed through browsers, which are just software. Since Mac's Safari can be buggy your best bet is to use a different browser like Chrome, Opera, or FF. All easily installable on Mac OS.

That can be an issue though. Some programs just aren't available on Macs, and some aren't available on PCs.

For bug testing I had to have VM Ware on my work mac so I could test things on IE. It's kind of silly, but it is extremely helpful to have Windows on you Mac sometimes.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#16 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

You know it's funny I was just talking about the new macpro but if we wanna just have a thread go into Mac and PC i'd say go for it. :)
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#17 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Well I would talk about the Mac Pro, but the one my hubby is getting for work is back-ordered... indefinitely now. It said July 12th, but now it says TBD. : /

I think everyone is rushing to get one, or Apple released it before it had enough stock... or both! We had the same problem with the iPad 2.

#18 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 16 June 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

You know it's funny I was just talking about the new macpro but if we wanna just have a thread go into Mac and PC i'd say go for it. :)

No.way.

I don't want to deal with the snobby people who might come in and say how "macs are better than pcs!" or the pc people going how much macs sucks or blah blah.

I'm tired of debating right now.

But to be on topic: Desktop->Laptop. I went through about a good six laptops in the past few years. What brand is good varies, but it seems to be that high end laptops last longer but low end Dells love to die on you.

If you get high end though you are better off getting a desktop!

@JujuFox: They are? YES! I had issues with them before because the page kept refreshing among other things >.< My mom wanted to throw out my laptop.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#19 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 16 June 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Well it was the whole: "what websites don't run on a mac and how is that possible since they run on mine and I have a mac and loving it," that made me think you was being defense towards macs. But umm this is the internet so I have no idea if you were or not :/

I got that feeling from you pointing out that one fact about Macs and websites, and putting how you used macs with ease, etc. as a counter arguement? If you weren't then I made a mistake and apologize.

I asked if you had any websites not supported by macs , to my knowledge none exist. I said nothing you placed in quotes, quotes are used to relay information word for word unless stated otherwise. I'm not being "defense towards macs" ( proper quote usage, see what I did there?). I simply asked for a list of any websites that are unable to run on an Apple OS.

There's many Mac/ PC debate threads somewhere buried in here so mayhaps they are still around to use?

Though I believe the topic itself is a rather limited one.

New macpros suck. Ok? Cool beans? Not much argument or debate to really be had this time around.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#20 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hm,

One thing I've never liked about Macs are the fact that it was a pain to upgrade or fix them yourself. As red described, it is truly a chore. They finally started to move away from that when they dumped PowerPC and moved towards Intel, a move I will always applaud them for. But this is a step in the wrong direction.

I've always been anti-Apple. Always always always. Until I bought my Macbook (the little white one that linlin describes in her post, I think I might have the same one). I love the darn thing. I think it's a 2009 something or other, the original Macbook. Not the Pro, not the Air. I love it. I can develop on it and it came with Photoshop. One thing I didn't notice, however, is the excessive RAM usage on Photoshop or the locking up that people have described. I've ran into nothing of that with Photoshop on my Macbook. Maybe I don't use it enough? Who knows. I love having a laptop with a native *nix(-like) OS on it so I can terminal. Vim? Love it. Mac has it natively. The Windows version of vim doesn't cut it. With a (somewhat) simple shell command I can batch rename files without an extra program in *doze, and it takes a fraction of the time as it does in that seperate program in *doze. Linux is the same.

I couldn't get Linux to run properly on my Asus laptop, so this was second best (and I got it for 1/4 the price of it being brand new :D)

In my Macbook I can add a new hard drive. I can change the RAM, add more. I can change the display. It's great. This seems to be a step in the wrong direction, though :<

I'm exactly the opposite as far as the iPhone as my good friend red up there, though >.< I've been a blackberry user for about a year, switched to *droid for the past two years and loved it. iPhone? It was horrible (iPhone 4S, for reference). GPS was crap, the camera was horrible, and now I learn that apple is dropping GMaps from the iPhone. I also found out that you have to hack your way around to import everything from Google to the iPhone. No thanks. While I may not be a huge fan of google and their crappy privacy policy, they still have a damned good service. the only thing I liked was Siri. she was awesome. I have a new girlfriend in her.

Oh, and the OS typically doesn't have anything to do with running websites or not. Get a different browser. I've never had a problem with anything in google Chrome until a recent update caused it to go bonkers with my self-signed SSL certificate on my server's Webmin console. Safari behaves a lot like firefox but a bit ....bleh-ier. I admit that some things on Safari have not worked for me correctly but I do some specialized things, SSH through a java terminal from within an HTTP tunnel while VPN'ed through something....nerd-y stuff like that. But Google Chrome solves it.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#21 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

From what my tech friend said to me. For some reason apple wants to have pretty much all their products be like the ipad, ipod, iwhatever in that you get the new one and in a year or so buy the next one. Now I can sorta understand it for ipod and such. But you can't do that with computers. Computers are suppose to be a investment. Not something you throw away after a year or so.

#22 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 17 June 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

From what my tech friend said to me. For some reason apple wants to have pretty much all their products be like the ipad, ipod, iwhatever in that you get the new one and in a year or so buy the next one. Now I can sorta understand it for ipod and such. But you can't do that with computers. Computers are suppose to be a investment. Not something you throw away after a year or so.

Well it may have to do with the speed of technology, and how we are progressing so rapidly by making things faster, smaller, and more powerful. I remember back in 2005 buying a 300 GB externtal HDD for like $250 at Best Buy, and that was on sale. Now I can get a 1TB external HDD for $100 on Newegg. Holy crap that is an insane difference!

So with this rapid progression it is not uncommon to replace your computer(desktop or laptop) in 3 years or so.

#23 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 18 June 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Well it may have to do with the speed of technology, and how we are progressing so rapidly by making things faster, smaller, and more powerful. I remember back in 2005 buying a 300 GB externtal HDD for like $250 at Best Buy, and that was on sale. Now I can get a 1TB external HDD for $100 on Newegg. Holy crap that is an insane difference!

So with this rapid progression it is not uncommon to replace your computer(desktop or laptop) in 3 years or so.

Not when it still costs around $1000 bucks for one for a new one (laptops in general). Maybe i'd understand it if they were only like only a $100 or $200 bucks. Something that you could almost pay off in the few months before the new one comes out. But why in the world would I pay hundreds of dollars for something to be just thrown away?

#24 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's supply and demand, as well as competition. Consumers want things that can process stuff quickly, hold more stuff, show better stuff, etc. Every bit of tech is different in its own way, even within the same brand - it could be one component, or a few; it could be the size or capabilities (i.e., gaming vs. business). Thus, people who know the market will wait, watching what their favored brands are developing. But for average consumers, the brands keep pushing out new and different computers every few months. (Same goes for cell phones.) Is it wasteful? In some cases, sure. Some folks will happily sell off or toss their computer, no matter how old, to get the new machine that just came out. Others may keep one computer for years, or even a few different computers at one time, upgrading (if possible) or replacing them as they wear out. The brands know this. But, because there will always be consumers looking for new tech at any given time, they push out new stuff in the hopes that their machines can turn a profit, even if it'll be outdated within a handful of months.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#25 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 18 June 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Not when it still costs around $1000 bucks for one for a new one (laptops in general). Maybe i'd understand it if they were only like only a $100 or $200 bucks. Something that you could almost pay off in the few months before the new one comes out. But why in the world would I pay hundreds of dollars for something to be just thrown away?

Think about it though. The previous car I had was 10 years old and had 171,600 miles on it. I traded it in for $700. It was about $15k when it was purchased new. So you could say that in terms of how many years I drove it that it was like $1,500 each year, and in the end I still got $700 out of it. Now this is not the greatest example, since I'm not factoring in financing and yearly or emergency maintenance. However, I would say the car was a good deal for how long it lasted me. The clutch started slipping, and given the amount of mileage and age of the car it wasn't worth it to fix it anymore. I was forced at this point to get a new car.

In the same way a computer can be measured. I built my desktop last summer for about $1k. I had to get all the internals, a new case, and a new monitor. Right now it has very good internals, the latest OS, and runs perfect. I expect to not have to replace anything(hardware wise) on it for the next 4 years. So if I keep this computer just as it is now for 5 years it's like I'm paying 200 a year for this computer. Lucky for me, replacing anything on it costs whatever insanely low price Newegg offers, and I don't have to pay Geek Squad or Apple to fix/upgrade my desktop. I think that is a great investment!

Now if something breaks, that is a different story... Do you think Apple makes their products in such a way that forces you to upgrade?
The last place I worked at was all Macs, and they had to replace three of their laptops purportedly because the design didn't allow enough airflow, so the fans weren't keeping it cool enough. I'm not sure on the exact specifics, but those Mac-tops had to be replaced since the fans couldn't keep it cool enough from melting something inside the laptop.

EDIT: I derped on my computer cost, and my husband corrected me. I paid 1k for my computer, and he paid 2k for his. We both built our desktops at the same time. Also, it was kind of misleading to say my computer has "the best" internals. I meant it has very good internals for my purposes, not like "the best money can buy".

This post has been edited by JujuFox: 18 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

#26 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

I guess my problem is just the sheer amount of products that keep getting put out every year. Nobody except the insanely rich can keep up with it. And to me it doesn't seem like a good buinsess stragty. But hey, that's why I'm not working for apple. lol

#27 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Pretty sure Apple has been giving everyone the big middle finger since it wrapped up its ridiculously fragile and fallible machinery in a pretty little package and everyone in America ate it up like starving wolves.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#28 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

LOL. Very true in my opinion. I dont' understand the apple zombies myself.

#29 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

can ibe in the camp of i hate all apple stuff but the ipod. i love my ipod mini.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#30 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 23 June 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

can ibe in the camp of i hate all apple stuff but the ipod. i love my ipod mini.

NO.All or nothing.PICK A SIDE.
(iPods ARE cute...)

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users