Anime Central Forums: E3 the 2012 edition - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 the 2012 edition So let's see what is in store for this years' show.

#31 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postmagishine, on 05 June 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm not really impressed with this year's E3

Yeah. Mostly sequels and the only thing that caught my eye was South Park, The Last Of Us, and Watch Dogs only because they were new and not sequels! I swear if I see one more sequel...ill set something on fire. But yeah im not feeling it this time around. Maybe its just me. E3 back in the day was exciting and fun but it changed so much its like "Is that it?" Maybe its just me.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#32 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Regarding DMC talk, I'm excited about the new game. Perhaps I'm biased, but I loved the games Ninja Theory have put out. Not only are they fun games to play (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, etc), the emotional connection to the characters is strong and present. If you have played those games to the end, how can you walk away from that experience and not feel anything about the main characters or how the story ends? The fact that the new DMC isn't just Dante being a badass is a huge draw for me.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#33 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thoughts on the big 3 press conferences

Microsoft C-, Shooter sequel after shooter sequel. I just could really care less. I'm not really an FPS fan, and the lack of anything innovative or new in the original IP area kinda put me off. Smartglass has the potential to be really cool if they implement it right, but I prefer to use my consoles for video gaming as opposed to media centers.

Sony B, Beyond was really exciting for me. A game that doesn't look like a clone of everything else. While it may be done somewhat in the style of Heavy Rain, the setting, characters, story, are going to be far different and that is what a game like that is all about. Also, even though The Last of Us looks just like Uncharted, the demo they showed was pretty cool and actually kinda got me excited for the game. Even though I may never buy it. And well there was the Harry Potter book. Again, something I may not use, but I appreciate the ingenuity.

Nintendo D, Pretty boring overall. All Wii U, games that have been out for ages in slightly updated social media format. Another 2d Mario, cool, but nothing to get excited about. More Scribblenauts, the same. Batman Arkham City, already played it last year. Maybe Nintendoland, but we'll see how it turns out.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#34 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

I know E3 just started, but it's kinda disappointing.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#35 User is offline   Jang Hee Joon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5162

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:32 AM

Watch Dogs wins the internet.

#36 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Posted Image

I kinda wish the creator of this waited until it was over, but yeah. It summed up E3 as a whole so far lol.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#37 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Pikmin 3 will ensure that I will buy a Wii U at some point, otherwise nothing too terribly impressive. Nintendo Land is an interesting concept but not at all a system seller in my eyes. New Super Mario Bros. U should be good, but for some reason I just can't get too terribly excited for it.

PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale should be very awesome. That's awesome Big Daddy from Bio Shock, Drake from Uncharted, and a lot of other cool characters are in the game. Here's hoping we will see more.

Microsoft with the exception of Gears of War didn't have anything exciting me. I'm "Halo-ed" out in terms of gaming, so I could care less about Halo 4 for the most part. I will have to look into Smart Glass.

Oh yeah, Bring on Resident Evil 6!!! :D
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#38 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Today is over for E3 until tomorrow and so far:

More let downs from Nintendo.

No Pokemon dates, no Animal Crossing, no Zelda and no Advance wars. Wii U battery is weak, slowdown, etc.

People at FF is trying to fix FF14 and more KH: DDD 3DS.

Resident evil 6 looks nice.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#39 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Honestly the gaming industry shot inself in the foot for E3 this year. Every company, from stuidos to console makers all have been hyping the crap outta ALLLLL of their games coming out even late into 2013. So there wasn't any "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO PLAY THAT!" feeling this year.

I"m glad Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) didn't relese a new console. Because honestly we don't need it. And some poor people like me don't even both systems yet.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#40 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

2012 looks like a lame duck kind of year. Looking ahead to Lollipop Chainsaw next week though.

This post has been edited by rondo: 07 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

#41 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 07 June 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Honestly the gaming industry shot inself in the foot for E3 this year. Every company, from stuidos to console makers all have been hyping the crap outta ALLLLL of their games coming out even late into 2013. So there wasn't any "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO PLAY THAT!" feeling this year.

I"m glad Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) didn't relese a new console. Because honestly we don't need it. And some poor people like me don't even both systems yet.

Too early for a new major system. Orbit (or whatever it is!) is still a rumor and the Wii U is more of an extension rather than a new system.

Some of the hyped games are coming out in August, such as Persona 4 the fighting game, but the problem this year was lack of major hardcore titles that they showed/teased in 2011 from the major companies such as Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft. Besides South Park RPG and Atlus (LOVE YOU ATLUS BUT WHERE IS SOUL HACKERS,) not too many people are over excited for another mario game.

Also insult to injury from Nintendo, no mention of Japan only titles such as Pokemon, the weird Pokemon game coming in later on this June, as well as Animal Crossing. All of those games have a Q 2013 tag on them >.<

EDIT: Fire Emblem WAS mentioned but not during E3.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 07 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#42 User is offline   Jang Hee Joon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5162

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Postrondo, on 07 June 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

2012 looks like a lame duck kind of year.

I agree. This is the first time I've watched anything E3 related since the downsizing. Couldn't of picked a worse time to come back.

#43 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I think we are overdue for the next gen of consoles.
Xbox was released, what, 2005?
I'm saying this because PC gaming is being held back by these ports. (Well, they always are but more evidently at the end of a console's life cycle)
Watch Dogs and Star Wars: 1313 can't run like that on the 360 or PS3.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

#44 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 07 June 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Too early for a new major system. Orbit (or whatever it is!) is still a rumor and the Wii U is more of an extension rather than a new system.

Actually, going from the PS1 start and using that as an example..

PS1: 1994
PS2: 2000
PS3: 2006

In reality, there should have been a system this year. That said, I think we are right about on target for the next iteration of consoles. 2013 should be the year of the next Sony/MS battle unless someone sneaks in a bomb of an announcement for this holiday season.

#45 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

We are overdue based on how often we typically get them, but technology hasn't moved forward or become affordable enough yet for it to make sense. Companies lose money on consoles. Why put out a new machine if it doesn't do anything better than the competitor's?
Armageddicon!!

#46 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I also think the explosion of mobile/social gaming threw a wrench in their initial plans for their next systems.

#47 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 07 June 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

We are overdue based on how often we typically get them, but technology hasn't moved forward or become affordable enough yet for it to make sense. Companies lose money on consoles. Why put out a new machine if it doesn't do anything better than the competitor's?

Aren't they making a profit now?
There is no way Watch Dogs or that FF tech demo could run on today's consoles.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#48 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 07 June 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I was thinking more of the lines of this of the first thing Elf said. I mean look at the Vita as well as the 3DS and how people feel about their price points. Also with the fact that society thinks that phones can be used in the same line as consoles and well...we are overdue but mentally we are not really ready for another system.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#49 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostBreBre716, on 05 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

I agree. It'll either bomb or just be okay. Not GROUNDBREAKING but just okay.

What really irritates people is Ninja Theory's really poor and unprofessional handling of criticism. They've become infamous for insulting fans of DMC and even go as far to mock Japanese/manga-inspired aesthetics. Antoniades (the director) in particular has repeatedly come off as a snob who looks down on people for not liking his ideas and has a history of shifting the blame onto others (like when Heavenly Sword and Enslaved BOMBED financially). Plus their take on DMC doesn't have a chance of reaching DMC3 and 4's depth and responsiveness due to the frame rate getting slashed in half. It'll probably bomb and then Capcom will go back to putting the series back into the hands of developers with some actual talent.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#50 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 07 June 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

What really irritates people is Ninja Theory's really poor and unprofessional handling of criticism. They've become infamous for insulting fans of DMC and even go as far to mock Japanese/manga-inspired aesthetics. Antoniades (the director) in particular has repeatedly come off as a snob who looks down on people for not liking his ideas and has a history of shifting the blame onto others (like when Heavenly Sword and Enslaved BOMBED financially). Plus their take on DMC doesn't have a chance of reaching DMC3 and 4's depth and responsiveness due to the frame rate getting slashed in half. It'll probably bomb and then Capcom will go back to putting the series back into the hands of developers with some actual talent.

Hmmm. Can you link some sources?
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#51 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 07 June 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hmmm. Can you link some sources?

Ya mean like this?:

http://www.eurogamer...want-to-like-it

and this?:

http://devilmaycry.o...-bayonetta.html

and this?:

http://www.destructo...re-184600.phtml

and this?:

http://devilmaycry.o...are-hated.9814/

I think I found enough. Any time he defends himself he comes off as an insecure hack who can't take criticism. NT is a joke of a studio and I can't WAIT too see what sort of excuses they try to make for when this bombs.

This post has been edited by Aiddon Valentin: 07 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#52 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

haha. I just looked up of video of Tameen Antoniade and he is a bit of a douche.
His and the new Dante's new haircut is no coincidence.
Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were not bad games. The new DmC may be decent, it may not. Who knows?
I couldn't care less about this guy.

Non-specific Action Figure won E3 for me.
Posted Image
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#53 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 07 June 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Aren't they making a profit now?
There is no way Watch Dogs or that FF tech demo could run on today's consoles.

Of the current gen, I believe only the Wii makes a profit per unit sold.

While it may be true that they can't run on the current consoles today, the cost of the tech to produce those consoles would likely be enormous. We'd be talking consoles that cost close to $1000, at the very least, $600, which if you remember how much flak the PS3 caught for its initial price point, probably wouldn't end well for anyone who attempted it.

I kinda consider the move/Kinetic the replacement for the "next gen" systems. Though neither has done particularly well outside of the casual market.
Armageddicon!!

#54 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 07 June 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

While it may be true that they can't run on the current consoles today, the cost of the tech to produce those consoles would likely be enormous. We'd be talking consoles that cost close to $1000, at the very least, $600, which if you remember how much flak the PS3 caught for its initial price point, probably wouldn't end well for anyone who attempted it.

I kinda consider the move/Kinetic the replacement for the "next gen" systems. Though neither has done particularly well outside of the casual market.

At launch, yes. But now that technology is much cheaper, the Xbox and PS3 are finally making a profit per unit.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#55 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 07 June 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Rise of hardcore games arrrrrrr.

Heard a rumor that the Wii U is suppose to be 200-400 dollars easy, even though Nintendo hasn't stated a price point.

E3 has made my opinion for Nintendo go down a bit.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#56 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 07 June 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Rise of hardcore games arrrrrrr.

Heard a rumor that the Wii U is suppose to be 200-400 dollars easy, even though Nintendo hasn't stated a price point.

E3 has made my opinion for Nintendo go down a bit.

I worry about any company that feels the need to showcase a 9 month old game during their E3 press conference. Do they really have nothing more exciting?
Armageddicon!!

#57 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 07 June 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

I worry about any company that feels the need to showcase a 9 month old game during their E3 press conference. Do they really have nothing more exciting?

Probably not. I disliked Nintendo for, well, since they started to change genders around and the last fiasco with the girl from Pokemon Black and White being a "transgender boy."

They build their empire on cash cows and nostalgia and when they do have something interesting its:

Japan only

from another company, such as SE, etc.

Delayed or Canceled.

Only company that disappoints me more is Capcom so far.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#58 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

See I don't agree to the tech not being up to date. Lets look at sony inparticular. PS2 came out in 2000. They took a risk with dvd's (just like they did with Blu-ray) and won with that bet. And the tech in the console ran for over 10 years. They were making games for the PS2 while still making them for the PS3 and it was still running them. Sure it took FOREVER to load some of those later titles, but they still ran. Anyone who looks at the PS3 or 360 and say, "That tech is too old now" is......ok I can't say it nicely. They PS3 has enough room to last I'd say close to double the amount of time PS2 lasted. And Elf is correct, to try and turn out a new system now would be finaceal suicide for a company. People don't even have all three systems yet, let alone close to any all the games so to put out a new system now and add on to a already expensive market would kill off soooo many customers (like myself).

As far as "hardcore titles" go E3 was full of them. Heck look at the list of games. There almost isn't a single title that isn't a sequal of a major realese. Halo 4, Assassians creed 3, Boarderlands 2, etc. But like I said, nobody is getting nearly the level of excitment as last year because they've already been hyped up long before this.

Tech wise the industry is at a problem. Tech is evolving much faster then 90% of the cunsumer can keep up with. Add on the fact that alot of the new stuff they want to buy (like that Xbox glass touch thing) is really just a expensive rich media reader. Sure it's cool to see something in Halo and have it come up on that screen that you can read/watch stuff. But am I gonna shell out my money for that? Heck no. I'd say in at least Microsofts case they need to keep pushing the kinect. If they keep doing stuff with it like they did with Mass Effect, Skyrim and what they are showing for Splinter Cell and so forth I might actually get one eventually. That's something handy that I can actually use.

Nintendo on the other hand is.....well kinda dead to me. Wii pushed me out of the love for it and they don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I can't really blame them for trying to use the same tactic that got them millions of dollars, but at a hardcore convention and their like, "look at our silly little new system that has animal crossing on it. Oh! Oh! You can touch the screen! Isn't that cool? We have batman too.....cept it came out months after everyones beaten it.....come on, somebody pay attention to us" kinda proves that Nintendo is losing base with a hardcore gamer fanbase and you have to tow that line between keeping us interensted so we can provide you a bigger bulk of your money and staying family friendly so that outsiders will still buy your products as well.

Sony is.....well I can't say too much since I haven't bought a PS3 yet, so I don't pay attention because there isn't much point in getting excited for stuff I can't have yet.....Hopefully soon though. :(
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#59 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

As a PC gamer, going back and playing the 360 and PS3 hurts my eyes. No AA, 60+ FPS, and native 1080p (or very limited)? Heck, monitors can go well beyond 1080p.
Yes, it may have spoiled me but try playing 480p/i Wii games after getting used to 720p consoles.

Overall, E3 was a bummer. The only things that saved it was "Non-specific Action Figure" and Reggie Fils-aime saying, "My body was ready."

The movie Wreck-It Ralph by Disney Animation Studios looks legit!
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=GHDQHVkYq4g
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#60 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

I think you answered some of your own question on big name titles. Everything that is a "big name" title is pretty much a sequel. People are finally getting sick of it. I know I have been for years. Its why Beyond is by far the game I am most excited about from E3. Because its something I haven't played before. I've played Halo, I've played Assassin's Creed and while I may play their sequels, I'm not going to get too excited for them. I know what to expect out of them. They'll be good, probably not great with game play similar to previous installments. I think its also why Watch Dogs has been as big as it is as well. Its something new.
Armageddicon!!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users