Anime Central Forums: NYC plan to ban large sugary beverages - Anime Central Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

NYC plan to ban large sugary beverages What are your thoughts on this?

#61 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostSarahlicious, on 02 June 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'm merely stating the logic behind Mr.Bloomberg's decision. I can control myself and take the initiative to educate myself on just WHAT is in what I eat/drink. Unfortunately the masses do not do this and are very ignorant of the harsh chemicals and added sugars that exist in their every day food items. It's almost like saying there should be no traffic laws because when you are approaching a four-way intersection common sense should tell you to slow down or yield to on-coming traffic. The law may seem extreme, and yes there are much better ways to go about it (putting tighter restrictions on the actual beverage companies to produce healthier products)

As I said before, the only thing they are forcing people to do is actively make the decision to drink more than 16oz at one time. I do not see how that makes me a pawn.

The problem with this logic is that the majority of what we pay for in beverages is the packaging. If I buy a liter soda, which is roughly 32 oz, that costs about $2. A 16 oz is going to run me roughly 1.50. So now I'm paying an extra dollar for the same content. Not only that I'm generating more trash. Especially if I don't recycle.

Again, its up to you to educate yourself on what you put into your own body. If you can't do that, that is your problem. Why should we play down to those who are too ignorant or stupid to take care of themselves properly?
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#62 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 03 June 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Alcohol is far worse than sugars. I can drink Pepsi all day and I might get fat, with all that being fat entails. I drink too much booze and I die.

Someone died from drinking nothing but Coke:

http://news.yahoo.co...-161323721.html

Among other issues.

-Runs back out with the popcorn-

I'm mostly lurking this thread.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#63 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 03 June 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

The problem with this logic is that the majority of what we pay for in beverages is the packaging. If I buy a liter soda, which is roughly 32 oz, that costs about $2. A 16 oz is going to run me roughly 1.50. So now I'm paying an extra dollar for the same content. Not only that I'm generating more trash. Especially if I don't recycle.

Again, its up to you to educate yourself on what you put into your own body. If you can't do that, that is your problem. Why should we play down to those who are too ignorant or stupid to take care of themselves properly?

We shouldn't play it down because even those who claim to understand the dangers of it are not completely in the know of how terrible it is for you. Organic foods cost more because it takes more time/care to grow, harvest, package, and sell. There are no chemicals or steroids used to accelerate the growth or size of the ingredients used in organic products. All of these refined foods (that really shouldn't even be called food) are so processed and handled so quickly. These companies have created shortcuts to ensure quick manufacturing through the use of chemicals, steroids, and artificial sweeteners. There is absolutely nothing natural about pop. It is all processed and has NO nutritional value. Not to mention pop dehydrates your body. Gaining weight should be the least issue concerned with in regards to this. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, amongst other very preventable things (that drive up our health care costs because so many of us have these conditions now due to poor life management and unhealthy lifestyles.)

The average person who consumes 2000 calories a day (I am only to consume 1600. This number depends on a number of variables) should only consume 100-150 calories from added sugar in one day. One 20oz bottle of Coca Cola contains 240 calories, 65g of added sugars. ALL of those calories come from the added sugar.

This post has been edited by Sarahlicious: 04 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#64 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostSarahlicious, on 04 June 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

We shouldn't play it down because even those who claim to understand the dangers of it are not completely in the know of how terrible it is for you. Organic foods cost more because it takes more time/care to grow, harvest, package, and sell. There are no chemicals or steroids used to accelerate the growth or size of the ingredients used in organic products. All of these refined foods (that really shouldn't even be called food) are so processed and handled so quickly. These companies have created shortcuts to ensure quick manufacturing through the use of chemicals, steroids, and artificial sweeteners. There is absolutely nothing natural about pop. It is all processed and has NO nutritional value. Not to mention pop dehydrates your body. Gaining weight should be the least issue concerned with in regards to this. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, amongst other very preventable things (that drive up our health care costs because so many of us have these conditions now due to poor life management and unhealthy lifestyles.)

I don't want organic foods because they'll make me a jerk! (ha, just kidding. But the latest study that we wasted money on shows people who eat organic tend to be "jerks")

As to the bolded line, that may be the smallest concern, but this is being marketed to the populace as a way to help derail the "obesity epidemic". You can't say you're doing something for one reason then turn around and be like "oh, it's also for __, __, and ___ reasons". What they should be doing instead of taking away large drinks is either educate the people, or crack down on the companies who make these products. Don't cigarettes packs now have warning labels on them about the dangers of them? (I'm not a smoker, but I'm pretty sure there was a law to that effect made) So we're not limiting the amount someone can smoke when smoking is WAY worse for you, but we're limiting the amount of pop you can consume in one sitting without bothering to educate anyone. At least the cigarette companies are forced to advertise against themselves. Yet people still choose to smoke. I think pop companies should be forced to follow this as well. Don't limit our intake, but warn us about the dangers and let us decide for ourselves whether we still want to down that 2 liter in one sitting.
ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#65 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 03 June 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

1. Why are there so many political - esque topics popping up on an anime convention forum ? Heated at that. Over some fairly silly things. I do not get : x

It is an anime convention forum, but also, "chit-chit" is in the Off-Topic Forums in which such discussions such as this can reside. Sure Myanmar has its issues and we can agree someone somewhere should do something. If someone wants to post about the greater issues of this world, let them. No one is stopping them unless it threatens the non-profit classification of said owner of the forums. Personally, I found this one a bit interesting and saw the potential of good discussions and the sharing of ideas/thoughts.

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

#66 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 04 June 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

I don't want organic foods because they'll make me a jerk! (ha, just kidding. But the latest study that we wasted money on shows people who eat organic tend to be "jerks")

As to the bolded line, that may be the smallest concern, but this is being marketed to the populace as a way to help derail the "obesity epidemic". You can't say you're doing something for one reason then turn around and be like "oh, it's also for __, __, and ___ reasons". What they should be doing instead of taking away large drinks is either educate the people, or crack down on the companies who make these products. Don't cigarettes packs now have warning labels on them about the dangers of them? (I'm not a smoker, but I'm pretty sure there was a law to that effect made) So we're not limiting the amount someone can smoke when smoking is WAY worse for you, but we're limiting the amount of pop you can consume in one sitting without bothering to educate anyone. At least the cigarette companies are forced to advertise against themselves. Yet people still choose to smoke. I think pop companies should be forced to follow this as well. Don't limit our intake, but warn us about the dangers and let us decide for ourselves whether we still want to down that 2 liter in one sitting.

I dont see how eating "clean" food makes you a jerk. Nutrition is my profession and a deep passion of mine. Im just trying to give basic facts about these products in hopes some will take it and make a positive change, but I see now trying to educate people on the internet is like trying to smash my head through a cinderblock.

I agree with you that these companies need to be held at a higher standard and there needs to be a bigger effort in our education system to teach children how to eat properly. Illinois requires gym all 12 years of school to keep kids "active" and fight childhood obesity, but I'll tell ya, walking around the track talking to friends, the ocassional dodgeball game, and the mile run test does not a healthy-active kid make.

#67 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostSarahlicious, on 04 June 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I dont see how eating "clean" food makes you a jerk. Nutrition is my profession and a deep passion of mine. Im just trying to give basic facts about these products in hopes some will take it and make a positive change, but I see now trying to educate people on the internet is like trying to smash my head through a cinderblock.

I agree with you that these companies need to be held at a higher standard and there needs to be a bigger effort in our education system to teach children how to eat properly. Illinois requires gym all 12 years of school to keep kids "active" and fight childhood obesity, but I'll tell ya, walking around the track talking to friends, the ocassional dodgeball game, and the mile run test does not a healthy-active kid make.

According to the study, eating organic gives people a sense of entitlement that makes them act like jerks. Kind of an odd study and a weird way to draw conclusions from it, but it is what it is. I'm not saying your a jerk or that I even agree with this study (I couldn't confirm it personally as I don't know anyone who goes out of their way to eat organic), but it's what they say.
http://blogs.laweekl...d_judgement.php

Definitely agree with that. Personally, my high school kept us pretty active (from Illinois of course), but there's only so much they can do about the kids that are in those classes who don't care. They can yell at them, threaten them with bad grades (even give the bad grades), but they can't force someone to run. And apparently studies have shown IL isn't any healthier (or not drastically at least) than any other state for forcing kids to have gym. For me I would have rather not been forced to take gym so I could take other classes I needed/wanted. I got plenty of exercise outside of school with soccer and bowling (more work than it sounds like when done the professional way!). You could enforce that rule nation-wide, but I don't think forcing kids to be in gym would improve overall health drastically. However, I'm all for a health class when they're younger, say 6-10 age range? Knowing what's good for them at a younger age would enforce better habits when they get older. But no, teaching kids how not to become obese is obviously the same as telling them no one will love them if they aren't skinny. We're just SO good at making young girls feel insecure. -_-
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%

#68 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 03 June 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

....you should read what I linked a few posts ago...
also, taxes = government and even what you say above would be considered "stepping in ". and there are times government should step in. If it was a true free market child prostitution would be legal.

And the government is. your eyes are clouded because you just want to stir up things and whine later when the thread gets shut down. Just saying.

Again your argument is flawed. Goverment makes laws that protects citizans from the evil, or harmful acts of others to them. (i.e. child prostution, traffic laws, etc.) Doing something like his not only is them stepping on the free market system, it's also them overstepping their authority. This isn't about protecting citizans from others. It's about how they think they know more then you and have to protect you from yourself.

And as I stated in my thread. I don't do these things to with the sole purpose of stiring things up. I am just passonite about things and I don't like being censcerd for it.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#69 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Maybe we should have a board strictly for political topics.

Any time someone says "We're doing this for your own good," it should be a big red warning flag. They're saying that they don't think you're too smart, and that you have to be led around by your nose, because otherwise you're so stupid, you'll go play on the Dan Ryan or something.

It's elitist. It's saying "We're smarter than you so you'd better listen." That could be true--experience and education do make some people smarter than others--but that doesn't make them automatically right. I've known plenty of Ph.Ds who are idiots when it comes to the real world. It reminds me of Karl Marx saying that his revolution would be led by the intelligentsia (like himself) who were smarter than the unwashed horde of morons he was supposedly going to free. No wonder most Marxist revolutions have ended with oligarchies and dictatorships, when the guy who founds the philosophy has a dim view of the people he's allegedly fighting for.

Do this because I think you're an idiot. That's not a way to govern.

There's nutritional information on the side of everything. I read that. I know how much cholestorol, fats, and sugars I'm putting into my body. That is my choice whether or not to eat that Big Mac and down a 32 oz. Pepsi with it, or eat some brown rice and wash it down with water. No one makes that choice for me. No one should.

I know the slippery slope thing is kind of a cliche, but what's to stop Bloomberg or someone else deciding tomorrow that anime is a bad influence on kids? After all, there's been one or two children who have died attempting something they saw on Naruto, so it must be bad...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"You will pry my Cat Planet Cuties from my cold, dead hands"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#70 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Sarahlicious said:

Almost all four years of my high school I didn't have a gym. It's really easy to tell someone to work out but to actually do it? Not only that but unless it's in a person's best interest who actually does anything 100%? Walking isn't considered a "work out," or enough exercise anymore. Today you have to do squats, stretches, jumps, the whole nine yards for at least 30-40 minutes per day and drink water. People are lazy by nature and water to be frankly does not taste good.

The reason why they don't reinforce this in schools is because of the almighty dollar; it overrides everything.

Arrogant, elitist organic people comes from the fact that 'I'm eating healthy and spending tons of money so that means that I am more holy thou you,' mentality. Example if you are still confused: People who think subs are better than dubs due to the fact that it's pure from Japan and because money=status standing.

What about the people who are not kids? You know a lot of adults and people in the workforce drink pop, coffee, etc. who do you think goes to Mcds during overnights and morning shifts?

So stress is another reason why there is obesity in this country. It was reported that Americans work to live rather than live to work, which is kind of sad. Unless this country changes it's whole outlook and improves on issues such as work, money, and how it's spent as well as the structure of unemployment and homelessness, then Obesity and laziness is always going to be an issue.

sentinel28a said:

Late but they are already doing this in Japan as well as this country. One of the officials running for president wanted to ban anything pornograhic, including ecchi books, etc. as well as on the internet. In Japan a lot of anime was under fire like it was back in the 60-70s at one point and one guy in general wanted to ban anything over G.

You know I dunno why I'm posting in this thread. -Sips on pop- I think I'm really bored. It's the people who think that this country is going communist and that they are "not part of the system! MAN!" and the people who think it's a good idea because Amercians are stupid.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 04 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#71 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postrondo, on 04 June 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

It is an anime convention forum, but also, "chit-chit" is in the Off-Topic Forums in which such discussions such as this can reside. Sure Myanmar has its issues and we can agree someone somewhere should do something. If someone wants to post about the greater issues of this world, let them. No one is stopping them unless it threatens the non-profit classification of said owner of the forums. Personally, I found this one a bit interesting and saw the potential of good discussions and the sharing of ideas/thoughts.

my point is that this is an anime board and there's better places for these sort of talks. That's why they get overheated and then get shut down and of course a thread claiming the mods are totez mad with the power will pop up.

EDIT:
I brought up myanmar and other issues on a different note. The world will not end if soft drinks are in smaller cups.

amurica is takin up all yer freedoms. or, as Mr. Wil Wheaton has said "OMG YOU GUYS OBAMA IS TAKING THE SUN AWAY AND ONLY TED NUGENT CAN SAVE US!"

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 04 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#72 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

my point is that this is an anime board and there's better places for these sort of talks. That's why they get overheated and then get shut down and of course a thread claiming the mods are totez mad with the power will pop up.

And no one but me finds this flat out hilarious... why?
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#73 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 04 June 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Almost all four years of my high school I didn't have a gym. It's really easy to tell someone to work out but to actually do it? Not only that but unless it's in a person's best interest who actually does anything 100%? Walking isn't considered a "work out," or enough exercise anymore. Today you have to do squats, stretches, jumps, the whole nine yards for at least 30-40 minutes per day and drink water. People are lazy by nature and water to be frankly does not taste good.

The reason why they don't reinforce this in schools is because of the almighty dollar; it overrides everything.

Arrogant, elitist organic people comes from the fact that 'I'm eating healthy and spending tons of money so that means that I am more holy thou you,' mentality. Example if you are still confused: People who think subs are better than dubs due to the fact that it's pure from Japan and because money=status standing.

What about the people who are not kids? You know a lot of adults and people in the workforce drink pop, coffee, etc. who do you think goes to Mcds during overnights and morning shifts?

So stress is another reason why there is obesity in this country. It was reported that Americans work to live rather than live to work, which is kind of sad. Unless this country changes it's whole outlook and improves on issues such as work, money, and how it's spent as well as the structure of unemployment and homelessness, then Obesity and laziness is always going to be an issue.

Late but they are already doing this in Japan as well as this country. One of the officials running for president wanted to ban anything pornograhic, including ecchi books, etc. as well as on the internet. In Japan a lot of anime was under fire like it was back in the 60-70s at one point and one guy in general wanted to ban anything over G.

You know I dunno why I'm posting in this thread. -Sips on pop- I think I'm really bored. It's the people who think that this country is going communist and that they are "not part of the system! MAN!" and the people who think it's a good idea because Amercians are stupid.

That's so true. We are such a fast food nation. We want everything as fast as possible and are so impatient. Our food, our entertainment. Most of us get flustered when someone doesn't answer a text message at lightning fast speed, when I remember the days you had to actually go home to make a phone call and hope the person was actually on the other end to answer, other wise you had to wait to talk to them.

We have become very impatient and that has caused us to sacrifice quality for quantity. It's much easier for a mother of three to run through a drive through after she's finished working her 8 hour shift and picked the kids up from practice, than to come home and cook a well-balanced meal. It's amazing how much we make ourselves sick just because of our lifestyle!

And as for the organic-nazis, There are always going to elitist dim-wits in every group. We even have a few on this very forum. I don't eat completely organic/preservative-free but I do my best. I prefer my body to function at it's most optimum and I can tell you first hand, your body does feel a significant difference once you cut out a lot of those added sugars and preservatives from your diet. I just feel.. cleaner - if that makes any sense?

linlindesu said:

Isn't that sad? I wish more people could try and play devil's advocate about certain topics and make actual conversation instead of jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle/name call.

#74 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostSarahlicious, on 04 June 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Isn't that sad? I wish more people could try and play devil's advocate about certain topics and make actual conversation instead of jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle/name call.

or they should just do what I do and make cute little cat memes with dumb quotes from said threads. No one but you sees em and you get a good chuckle without lashing out :]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#75 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

or they should just do what I do and make cute little cat memes with dumb quotes from said threads. No one but you sees em and you get a good chuckle without lashing out :]

That is a fabulous idea B)

#76 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

I brought up myanmar and other issues on a different note. The world will not end if soft drinks are in smaller cups.

amurica is takin up all yer freedoms. or, as Mr. Wil Wheaton has said "OMG YOU GUYS OBAMA IS TAKING THE SUN AWAY AND ONLY TED NUGENT CAN SAVE US!"

No, Lin, that's true. The world won't end.

But let the mouse have a cookie, and the little bastard's gonna want milk next. Allow some government official to dictate to you what you can and can't eat, and your next choice may be whether or not you're allowed to have children. Or whether or not you can marry that person who doesn't think in the approved fashion.

This is what has happened in Myanmar/Burma, what happens in China, and what happened in the USSR and (GODWIN ALERT!) the Third Reich. And every one of the politicians, generals, and so on who came to power in those nations did so promising stability and doing things "for your own good."

I don't mind Mayor Bloomberg telling me I should drink less soda. He's probably right. I DO mind him ordering me to drink less soda. Because that's none of his gorram business.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Just as his mistresses are none of mine"

BEAR CAV!

#77 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 04 June 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

No, Lin, that's true. The world won't end.

But let the mouse have a cookie, and the little bastard's gonna want milk next. Allow some government official to dictate to you what you can and can't eat, and your next choice may be whether or not you're allowed to have children. Or whether or not you can marry that person who doesn't think in the approved fashion.

This is what has happened in Myanmar/Burma, what happens in China, and what happened in the USSR and (GODWIN ALERT!) the Third Reich. And every one of the politicians, generals, and so on who came to power in those nations did so promising stability and doing things "for your own good."

I don't mind Mayor Bloomberg telling me I should drink less soda. He's probably right. I DO mind him ordering me to drink less soda. Because that's none of his gorram business.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Just as his mistresses are none of mine"

But soda is not the point to get worried about. At least it could benefit some.
If government control is going to root from something, it will start from something greater. Like if they try to order homosexuals not to marry, control our internet usage, or humor cutting out planned parenthoods due to religious beliefs of those in politics
oh , wait...
so worry about those and not what they are ordering corporations to do ( because in the end, that's what this is. they are telling chains to not serve giant cups of soft drinks. This isn't going to be a police officier just waltzing about looking for kids with giant sodas)

And I've become what I'm trying to make a point against. If progress is to made, it isn't in the anime central forums.
Posted Image
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#78 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

If government control is going to root from something, it will start from something greater. Like if they try to order homosexuals not to marry, control our internet usage, or humor cutting out planned parenthoods due to religious beliefs of those in politics
oh , wait...
so worry about those and not what they are ordering corporations to do ( because in the end, that's what this is. they are telling chains to not serve giant cups of soft drinks. This isn't going to be a police officier just waltzing about looking for kids with giant sodas)

And I've become what I'm trying to make a point against. If progress is to made, it isn't in the anime central forums.
Posted Image

Why not worry about all of it? I do. Like Sent said, it's all about small steps. Heck we didn't just suddently happen apawn all the problems in our country now. This is a build up and control and bad policies in tiny steps over decades and decades. It's all a problem. And if you don't wanna talk about politics with people you know then just stay away from them. I may love anime, video games, and all things nerd. but that doesn't mean that I somehow can't talk about something more important then that with my friends.
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#79 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 04 June 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Why not worry about all of it? I do. Like Sent said, it's all about small steps. Heck we didn't just suddently happen upon all the problems in our country now. This is a build up and control and bad policies in tiny steps over decades and decades. It's all a problem. And if you don't wanna talk about politics with people you know then just stay away from them. I may love anime, video games, and all things nerd. but that doesn't mean that I somehow can't talk about something more important then that with my friends.

fixed.
no, I could careless about the topics. I care more so that people (wink wink nudge nudge) get very angry when they get taken down when things get messy.
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#80 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

oh , wait...

Posted Image

You do realize that not just corporations are affected by this from a business sense, do you? This goes all the way down to the person running that hotdog stand on a corner of a busy intersection.

Also, does the size of beverage containers (cups,jugs,barrels) take into account ice? Doubtful.

On that note, for those who'd rather just wax about anime, why bother coming into a thread such as this..even going as far as getting into the conversation? The title alone should tell you this isn't gonna be a thread you'll care about. If you are really THAT bothered talking about something other than anime/manga/con on these boards, move on..it is that simple. I'm not trying to be mean or anything to that effect, but it just comes down to that. Myself, I'm glad to be able to have such conversations with people who also like anime/manga/whatnot but can discuss things other than the core of the forums for a change...which seems to be the purpose of this off-topic section, to talk about something else.

I've been on a deals website for 8 years now, a pretty large one. They have all kinds of sections that cover the core of the website/forums purpose. They also have a large off-topic section, which includes one solely on topics such as politics and the like and one just for all kinds of jibber jabber because people like to talk about other things, not just deals all the time. I see no real difference between them and this forum, though the politics has a finicky nature here that most of us are aware of and would think we do our best to be careful. I would like to think that was purpose of this section when someone created these boards, a place where people can discuss other things that are going on.

If the mods close the thread down, so be it. It likely means a line was crossed and they gotta do, what they gotta do. Its why they are a mod.

Someone is always gonna complain if something gets nuked, so to speak. Such is the nature of an internet forum thread.

EDIT: Grammar and such. blah.

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

#81 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postrondo, on 04 June 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

You do realize that not just corporations are affected by this from a business sense, do you? This goes all the way down to the person running that hotdog stand on a corner of a busy intersection.

Also, does the size of beverage containers (cups,jugs,barrels) take into account ice? Doubtful.

On that note, for those who'd rather just wax about anime, why bother coming into a thread such as this..even going as far as getting into the conversation? The title alone should tell you this isn't gonna be a thread you'll care about. If you are really THAT bothered talking about something other than anime/manga/con on these boards, move on..it is that simple. I'm not trying to be mean or anything to that effect, but it just comes down to that. Myself, I'm glad to be able to have such conversations with people who also like anime/manga/whatnot but can discuss things other than the core of the forums for a change...which seems to be the purpose of this off-topic section, to talk about something else.

I've been on a deals website for 8 years now, a pretty large one. They have all kinds of sections that cover the core of the website/forums purpose. They also have a large off-topic section, which includes one solely on topics such as politics and the like and one just for all kinds of jibber jabber because people like to talk about other things, not just deals all the time. I see no real difference between them and this forum, though the politics has a finicky nature here that most of us are aware of and would think we do our best to be careful. I would like to think that was purpose of this section when someone created these boards, a place where people can discuss other things that are going on.

If the mods close the thread down, so be it. It likely means a line was crossed and they gotta do, what they gotta do. Its why they are a mod.

Someone is always gonna complain if something gets nuked, so to speak. Such is the nature of an internet forum thread.

EDIT: Grammar and such. blah.

Oh, and one last bit. From the section description:
For general, fairly sane talk. Want a serious, non-ACen discussion or just want to sound off about something? Post here!

Sounds about right. If I'm doing it wrong, someone with ACen please let me know.

EDIT: More grammar shenanigans.

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

#82 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

View Postrondo, on 04 June 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

... when was the last time a hot dog vendor sold something bigger than a pepsi bottle ? (single, not 2 liter) they usually carry cans.
and most of the places that are affected you serve yourself so you could put in no ice, hell , get a refill in 5 more minutes.
The new Starbucks cup size is larger than the average human stomach, just to put that in perspective.

also, I'm not saying it is against the rules. I'm saying it's impractical. Write a letter to your congressman, get a petition on change.org going, or organize something.

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 04 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#83 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

... when was the last time a hot dog vendor sold something bigger than a pepsi bottle ? (single, not 2 liter) they usually carry cans.
and most of the places that are affected you serve yourself so you could put in no ice, hell , get a refill in 5 more minutes.
The new Starbucks cup size is larger than the average human stomach, just to put that in perspective.

No, don't get me wrong..that new starbucks cup is a bit silly. Heck, I heard racetrack has a 52oz cup. Wow...

Last street cart and food truck I visited served 20oz bottles.

Some people want ice (my sisters in their large soft drinks) and some people don't (me with my sweet tea). We still have that choice thankfully as well as refills in some situations.

Just today I had a long road trip for work. I don't want to have to place various 16oz cups around in my car or to make multiple stops on my trip. Sure it is a minor quibble, but on that drive, being comfortable and making that trip is all I am going to care about and anything to make that trip easier, I'm grateful to have those options.

On the ban itself, I can't take them serious in their efforts to affect obesity. Isolating one segment, sugary drinks, seems half hearted. Why is it fair to target drinks when food gets a pass (there will be a lawsuit I'm sure if it passes)? How about that 2-3k calorie appetizer that restaurant serves? If they tax the bad stuff, someone will argue that it is a veiled tax on the poor.

I'll still fall back on education, education, education..both at school AND at home..with good examples plentiful at both. It isn't enough that school will teach you briefly about eating healthy yet serve mostly crap in the lunchroom.

Want people to really pay attention to their obesity? Go for the gut and affect their healthcare options. Want to talk about an eye opener? :eek:

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

#84 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 04 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

fixed.
no, I could careless about the topics. I care more so that people (wink wink nudge nudge) get very angry when they get taken down when things get messy.

My argument wasn't about one thing that happened this year. I've been here over 6 years now. It was just the tip of the iceberg. I'm honestly surprised the few we have have been on for so long as it is.

#85 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

As much as I agree that people are responsible for their own bodies and habits...

I also think it wouldn't hurt if we limited what these fast food places offer as far as sizes of drinks or food orders.

The McDonalds Medium cup in America is about the same size as a Large in most other countries where you can find a McDonalds.

Globalize sizes of soft drinks and bring us one step closer to global unification!
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#86 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostTaiyakiOni, on 04 June 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Globalize sizes of soft drinks and bring us one step closer to global unification!

Heh. That's never gonna happen, Taiyaki. Western Europe can't stand each other...can you imagine the entire world? At least the Europeans are sort of to the point where they just yell and scream at each other. 60 years ago, they were shooting.

Get a Bahraini and an Iranian in the same room together and watch the sparks fly, or worse, Chinese and Japanese. There's a hatred that's 4000 years old.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"They're still upset about the Mongols"

BEAR CAV!

#87 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Just a quick thought - am I the only one who finds those half-sized cans of pop completely useless? (despite the fact that they're adorable) There's barely enough liquid in there to quench my thirst, and the small size makes me feel like I need 3 just to match 1 normal can (which of course isn't reality, but the smallness plays tricks on your mind!) I rarely drink pop, but when I do it's gotta be a full normal sized can. and I'm sure there are probably people that feel that way about the super-sized cups (only they they'd probably removed the "rarely" from this sentence)
ACen 2015 Plans

#88 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 04 June 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Heh. That's never gonna happen, Taiyaki. Western Europe can't stand each other...can you imagine the entire world? At least the Europeans are sort of to the point where they just yell and scream at each other. 60 years ago, they were shooting.

Get a Bahraini and an Iranian in the same room together and watch the sparks fly, or worse, Chinese and Japanese. There's a hatred that's 4000 years old.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"They're still upset about the Mongols"

Any eastern Asian country with each other is death incarnate lol when you think of it, its so ridiculous how many countries will fight if stuck in a room together.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#89 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 05 June 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

Just a quick thought - am I the only one who finds those half-sized cans of pop completely useless? (despite the fact that they're adorable) There's barely enough liquid in there to quench my thirst, and the small size makes me feel like I need 3 just to match 1 normal can (which of course isn't reality, but the smallness plays tricks on your mind!) I rarely drink pop, but when I do it's gotta be a full normal sized can. and I'm sure there are probably people that feel that way about the super-sized cups (only they they'd probably removed the "rarely" from this sentence)

You know, I see those cans from time to time but does anyone ever buy them? Also, aren't they pricey?

#90 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

View Postrondo, on 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You know, I see those cans from time to time but does anyone ever buy them? Also, aren't they pricey?

Yeah, we still sell them at our store. And yes they are only about a dollar less then the regular 6-pack. It's kinda crazy.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users