Anime Central Forums: Replacing The Soap Bubble - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Replacing The Soap Bubble What would you do?

#1 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hey everyone. So I noticed many on here think The Soap Bubble is creating a lot of ACen's problems. While I know it wont (and personally for others' sake don't wan't it to) go away but I propose a "what-if" scenario. What would you replace that big mass of space with if the Acen head decided that next year they're caving into the forums' demands and canning the event next year? More video rooms? More panels? A new dance?

I have a proposal for an alternative event that I'm really thinking of pitching to ACen next year that would be a 21+ event but at a smaller size than the Soap Bubble. It's all tentative but it would feature a small dance room, video games, board games, etc. Anyway sound off on your ideas of replacing the Soap Bubble or how to fix it. I'm curious.

This post has been edited by STVO: 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#2 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Oh, I remember when Soap Bubble was new. Things were much simpler back then.

Much simpler solution:

Due to the popularity of Soap Bubble, ACEN could actually make more money by charging attendance to the event. (I suggest this, at the risk of getting killed :3)

If anyone has attended Anime Expo, attendees there pay extra (buy a ticket) just to attend some of the more larger and more popular events. By doing so, convention staff may impose a size limit, while making additional profit. Who knows? This additional revenue may gear the event for a bigger venue, like in the convention center - where oh, y'can fit more people.

===

Now, if attendance size isn't the issue, what else is the issue? Rowdy people? Young'ins?
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#3 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

This is a good question. Lots of people are saying to get rid of the bubble so the masquerade is safe. But the masquerade won't run even half as long as the bubble does. Personally, I don't even attend the bubble and find that there isn't much anything else to do but go watch hentai/yuri/yoai. (No issues from me if that's what someone else wants to spend their night doing, but not my scene) I'd like to see more anime that's...friendly, I guess? Not sure how to put it haha. I'm not saying a kid anime, I'm fine with nudity and whatnot, but I don't want to watch straight up anime p0rn. Have some more of the video rooms playing stuff I'd feel like wasting my time watching.

I also wouldn't mind more panels, but those require living, breathing, not half-asleep humans to run them, and most people don't want to devote a chunk of their night to running a panel (or do they? If you do, please do and I'll be there! :D)

And agreed with Kyuu that there should be a cover cost.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

If they do get rid of it, make a HUGE gaming room, something bigger than the basement or the hyatt, with random anime showings as well.

Also have trivia games; like the whole hall/room is one big game center.

I still say either charge people coming to the raves or check their badges and give them something; no badge no coming ineeth. Or if you do have a badge and lose the 'something,' then you have to pay a charge, similar to losing your badge.

This should cover Acen's behinds in case of damages, etc.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

No. This is ridiculous. The Soap Bubble isn't destroying ACen. It's just one event. And it is NOT the Soap Bubble's fault that what happened happened with the masquerade this year. The two events normally coexist just fine.

Quite frankly I'm tired of all of these demands to do away with the Soap Bubble. A better solution, if you ask me, would be to make it relevant to ACen; require all of the DJs to have at least one anime/Japan-related song in their sets.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#6 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostOhki, on 24 May 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

No. This is ridiculous. The Soap Bubble isn't destroying ACen. It's just one event. And it is NOT the Soap Bubble's fault that what happened happened with the masquerade this year. The two events normally coexist just fine.

Quite frankly I'm tired of all of these demands to do away with the Soap Bubble. A better solution, if you ask me, would be to make it relevant to ACen; require all of the DJs to have at least one anime/Japan-related song in their sets.

OP clearly does not want the dance gone, calm down.
What he is doing is requesting what those who do want it gone to suggest what sort of event could be held instead.

Now STVO, once upon a time there was a 21 plus dance. I'm guessing it didn't do so hot as there have not been any talks of reviving the event.

I think replacing the soap bubble is a damned near impossible task. Nothing will fit the hole it will leave ( I could care less if it is cancelled, I do care about the possibility of more idiots causing chaos.)
I do not think they will ever make the hardcore or the bubble 18 plus. It would be a pain for staff and probably cause all the super rad 15 year olds to get adorably angry. So that'll could lead to more con damage.

If, in some alternative universe, they DID kill the Bubble. It might be a good time to have a REALLY famous musical guest ( not knocking LMC, I mean something/ someone HUGE) or a guest in general to have a large panel. Or maybe improving the formal dance and making a large scale cosplay prom. No bikini tops or tiny bum skipping tulle skirts allowed ;o
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#7 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 24 May 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

OP clearly does not want the dance gone, calm down.
What he is doing is requesting what those who do want it gone to suggest what sort of event could be held instead.

Now STVO, once upon a time there was a 21 plus dance. I'm guessing it didn't do so hot as there have not been any talks of reviving the event.

I think replacing the soap bubble is a damned near impossible task. Nothing will fit the hole it will leave ( I could care less if it is cancelled, I do care about the possibility of more idiots causing chaos.)
I do not think they will ever make the hardcore or the bubble 18 plus. It would be a pain for staff and probably cause all the super rad 15 year olds to get adorably angry. So that'll could lead to more con damage.

If, in some alternative universe, they DID kill the Bubble. It might be a good time to have a REALLY famous musical guest ( not knocking LMC, I mean something/ someone HUGE) or a guest in general to have a large panel. Or maybe improving the formal dance and making a large scale cosplay prom. No bikini tops or tiny bum skipping tulle skirts allowed ;o

^this. If its replaced then put something HUGE in place of it. Now I know a lot of ravers just got to soap bubble and hard core synergy and that brings in a lot of revenue for anime related stuff. I think it should be moved somewhere else so its not at risk countering time for other things like masquerade or other complications. I know there has to be a huge room in another hotel or in the Hyatt to hold the bubble and hardcore. Because like you said linlindesu a lot of little 15 year old kiddie ravers will be very sad and start a crazy protest against it. Heck it'll be Occupy ACen! All kidding aside, I think it should be moved. It's been there since the old days I have heard and I dunno if people would be fond of killing "tradition." So I'd say move it so it's easier to manage.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#8 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 24 May 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

^this. If its replaced then put something HUGE in place of it. Now I know a lot of ravers just got to soap bubble and hard core synergy and that brings in a lot of revenue for anime related stuff. I think it should be moved somewhere else so its not at risk countering time for other things like masquerade or other complications. I know there has to be a huge room in another hotel or in the Hyatt to hold the bubble and hardcore. Because like you said linlindesu a lot of little 15 year old kiddie ravers will be very sad and start a crazy protest against it. Heck it'll be Occupy ACen! All kidding aside, I think it should be moved. It's been there since the old days I have heard and I dunno if people would be fond of killing "tradition." So I'd say move it so it's easier to manage.

It's been discussed already by staff that moving it isn't an option. It's either the size issue (not big enough) or if they move it to the convention center, it's gonna increase the cost of badges. (if they had a cover fee for the soap bubble tho....)

Cuz I'd say move it myself, but now the better option is just to move it friday. Hardcore Synergy and Soap Bubble all in one day? Sounds pretty fun to me. Well if I cared about either one of them. Like when one dance is over, you can go to another. lol

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 24 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#9 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

It's been discussed already by staff that moving it isn't an option. It's either the size issue (not big enough) or if they move it to the convention center, it's gonna increase the cost of badges. (if they had a cover fee for the soap bubble tho....)

Cuz I'd say move it myself, but now the better option is just to move it friday. Hardcore Synergy and Soap Bubble all in one day? Sounds pretty fun to me. Well if I cared about either one of them. Like when one dance is over, you can go to another. lol

Oh I didn't even know that. XD
Hey I like that idea. Make it a huge 1 day event. That would be fun. Have hardcore open for soap and you can stay in there or leave. More dancing and I feel more people would go.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#10 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Something fun. For me ACEN ends usually every night whenever photoshoots or my panel on Saturday is done. I'm not a dancer/raver anymore.

I'd love to see a late night special anime run. Maybe a movie that hasn't been shown in a while, a popular movie, or a new dub of something. I would LOVE a midnight viewing.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#11 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

I would be so happy if they replaced the soap bubble with one huge musical guest for one night. Then after that musical performance, an 18+ foam party soap bubble rave. This will probably never happen... But still. B)

Or like I said before, have the soap bubble all ages on one night, clear everyone out and for the rest of that night have an 18+ rave. Then on the other nights they can focus on other events. I don't think the Soap Bubble should be replaced with anything. Just the scheduling needs tinkering.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#12 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

Giant reply sandwich coming up! And just to reiterate, no >>>>>>>>>*I*<<<<<<<<<<< don't think the Soap Bubble should go. The main reason I came up with this thread is because I've seen several people dead set on telling the Soap Bubble (and Hardcore Synergy in some matters) to go away and have Anime Central return to it's full "glory days." Like I have said, I've asked people in previous threads "what would you put in the Soap Bubble's place?" I never get responses or am just told "move it." This thread is me as kindly as possible saying "Yo if you hate it say something!" I'm also considering using these ideas for an alternative to the Soap Bubble that I mentioned. I don't know if I will really go through with this idea but I'd like to at least consider and try to pitch it this year for the ACen 2013.

View PostKyuu, on 24 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Due to the popularity of Soap Bubble, ACEN could actually make more money by charging attendance to the event. (I suggest this, at the risk of getting killed :3)

If anyone has attended Anime Expo, attendees there pay extra (buy a ticket) just to attend some of the more larger and more popular events. By doing so, convention staff may impose a size limit, while making additional profit. Who knows? This additional revenue may gear the event for a bigger venue, like in the convention center - where oh, y'can fit more people.

It's not a bad idea in theory. I know there are ravers that already pay quite a lot JUST to go to the Soap Bubble. IMO, they're missing out on other great events but so be it. In other words it's like going to an all-you can eat buffet where you can get steak, desserts, lobster, etc. and all you get is one or two pieces of meat or just a salad. :P Anyway, this could convince people to walk away be it the non-anime rave fans or even the loyal attendees that find it outrageous they would be charging for a once free event.

If they were to charge for one of the dances, I think it should be an 18+ event. It would help cover any foreseeable problems, allow a bigger space in the future, and decrease the attendees by a little bit. I'm really pushing the idea of Hardcore Synergy or another event becoming 18+, I'm very very behind it.

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 24 May 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

This is a good question. Lots of people are saying to get rid of the bubble so the masquerade is safe. But the masquerade won't run even half as long as the bubble does. Personally, I don't even attend the bubble and find that there isn't much anything else to do but go watch hentai/yuri/yoai. (No issues from me if that's what someone else wants to spend their night doing, but not my scene) I'd like to see more anime that's...friendly, I guess? Not sure how to put it haha. I'm not saying a kid anime, I'm fine with nudity and whatnot, but I don't want to watch straight up anime p0rn. Have some more of the video rooms playing stuff I'd feel like wasting my time watching.

I also wouldn't mind more panels, but those require living, breathing, not half-asleep humans to run them, and most people don't want to devote a chunk of their night to running a panel (or do they? If you do, please do and I'll be there! :D)

And agreed with Kyuu that there should be a cover cost.

Do have to agree that I'm not a fan of watching hentai myself. I don't think less of those who do, but personally it's not my forte and I'm sure it isn't everyone else's either. Correct me if I'm wrong though, they do have anime movies/series playing at that hour as well that aren't filled with sex too, right? I swear there was! LOL. As for panels, some people run late night panels, but yes, not everyone is willing to do overnight panels and we have to face the music if people don't want to. As a major night owl, I can rest assure there are people you can mingle with, places you can eat food, play video games, etc. at late hours where you don't have to get upset if there isn't a "Elfen Lied panel" at 2 AM or whatever your favorite series is. Just my opinion. Again, I do want to offer an alternative (albeit one geared for us older folks though) that doesn't require you to go watch hentai or line up at the Soap Bubble.

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 24 May 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

If they do get rid of it, make a HUGE gaming room, something bigger than the basement or the hyatt, with random anime showings as well.

Also have trivia games; like the whole hall/room is one big game center.

I still say either charge people coming to the raves or check their badges and give them something; no badge no coming ineeth. Or if you do have a badge and lose the 'something,' then you have to pay a charge, similar to losing your badge.

This should cover Acen's behinds in case of damages, etc.

They already do have the gaming and anime rooms but expanding them wouldn't be too bad I suppose. And if you've been to Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy, they do check badges. LOL. The only thing they could do is maybe check IDs if they decide to make the event geared towards an older audience.

View PostOhki, on 24 May 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'm tired of the demands myself and while I don't believe you're accusing me of wanting to do away with Soap Bubble (well if you are, I apologize if my intentions sounded wrong, but I did let you know I'm not for the cancelling of Soap Bubble in the first post and once again in this post. :D) I'm letting those people who think they know what they can do without the Soap Bubble to let us know what they would do with the event. I am for the idea of adding more Japanese music to the dances though.

View Postlinlindesu, on 24 May 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I have heard that about the 21+ event linlin. I wish they would try another stab at it, but that's up to them. I heavily encourage it. And yeah, this is pretty much the main point of my thread, I personally think it's damned near impossible as well to shut the Soap Bubble down completely. It's extremely popular, it has a wide space, it's influenced other conventions to have such events, and it is despite what some members here think, well-received. As an attendee of The Cosplay Prom, I'm all for them making an event more like that as well. I like to dance to a good mix of anime songs, popular American music, all while not having to deal with the strictly all darkness and rainbow colors environment.

Don't get me wrong, I attended Soap Bubble for a little while this year (I had fun) and have in previous years, but I actually like the environment from Cosplay Prom and dare I say it, the Crystal Ball this year. I don't think ACen should be charging the Crystal Ball price of $25 unless they have some real good stuff to back it up (first 2 drinks are free, you get a dinner, etc.) but I thought my $10 spent at Cosplay Prom overall was well worth it.

As for making an age limit for one of the dances (saying both would be ridiculous) it would be a challenge, but IMO, not unrealistic. They can do it they just have to be smart about it (ticket system, have a strict ID policy, etc.) And to those pre-teens and teenagers who think I suck about this, go on and hate me! I'm going to make it happen! :this is like the start of a Nickelodeon movie where kids play pranks on me for taking away something they love and I scream "Those Darn Kids!!!!!":

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 24 May 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I think a different venue would help out a lot. I cant promise it would happen, but if it made people happier, I wouldn't oppose to it.

View PostXenoBlade, on 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

And my buddy Xeno answers the question, haha. A cover wouldn't be too bad so as long as it isn't a ridiculous price (I'm thinking $5-$10 nothing more.) Anyway, yeah having both dances on one day is a decent idea, IMO. Not sure how feasible it is though.

View Postmyrla, on 24 May 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Something fun. For me ACEN ends usually every night whenever photoshoots or my panel on Saturday is done. I'm not a dancer/raver anymore.

I'd love to see a late night special anime run. Maybe a movie that hasn't been shown in a while, a popular movie, or a new dub of something. I would LOVE a midnight viewing.

A special movie premiere would be bad @$$! But the question is if they could get someone to do it? Like picture them making an agreement with Funimation to show something that's getting a limited theater release? I would be impressed! AGain though, that's about budget. But more of a certain anime or showing something rare would be fun.

View PostVoxx, on 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

I would be so happy if they replaced the soap bubble with one huge musical guest for one night. Then after that musical performance, an 18+ foam party soap bubble rave. This will probably never happen... But still. B)

Or like I said before, have the soap bubble all ages on one night, clear everyone out and for the rest of that night have an 18+ rave. Then on the other nights they can focus on other events. I don't think the Soap Bubble should be replaced with anything. Just the scheduling needs tinkering.

Agreed. Definitely agreed Voxx.
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#13 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

*big smile* :thumbup:

I think Soap shouldn't be eliminated, but combined with the other rave on Friday or perhaps having two on Friday, one 18+. In a new or the same location, it doesn't really matter. In its place you could expand events, as well as create more buffer times for Saturdays events therefore your less likely to run into the problems we had this year. You could have the masq be longer, which would be nice for those skits that got cut this year, you could even make a joke of it, have a masq 2012 and a masq 2013 portion. At night, have an extra long concert, maybe bring back khaotic Katoure, then a 21+ (that way the partiers could potentally be partially in one location) and/or movie/anime hell (though ill admit I've never been to it), depending if it'd be possible to split the room in two. Yes, there would be backlash, however, those who feel like the purely rave people are undesirable could be appeased by the fact that they are only there friday, as well as it would have less of a "jailbate" atmosphere.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 25 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#14 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 25 May 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I think Soap shouldn't be eliminated, but combined with the other rave on Friday or perhaps having two on Friday, one 18+. In a new or the same location, it doesn't really matter. In its place you could expand events, as well as create more buffer times for Saturdays events therefore your less likely to run into the problems we had this year. You could have the masq be longer, which would be nice for those skits that got cut this year, you could even make a joke of it, have a masq 2012 and a masq 2013 portion. At night, have an extra long concert, maybe bring back khaotic Katoure, then a 21+ (that way the partiers could potentally be partially in one location) and/or movie/anime hell (though ill admit I've never been to it), depending if it'd be possible to split the room in two. Yes, there would be backlash, however, those who feel like the purely rave people are undesirable could be appeased by the fact that they are only there friday, as well as it would have less of a "jailbate" atmosphere.

I like! I like! Excellent ideas. :) And yes less jail bait = better experience for all. LOL

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#15 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

^I do like that idea since everyone does benefit. The ravers benefit, us hard core fans benefit, and there are age restrictions and just that tiny amount of age control that we need. I like this idea a lot and I know Anime Hell and Midnight Madness could go into another big room. I think they only complication is just people remembering where things are but that's what the program book is for. Now since i've only been to ACen three times (so pardon this if you think it's a silly question lol) but I never heard of Khaotic Katoure--what is it? Like a huge concert or something :D?

#16 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostSTVO, on 24 May 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Do have to agree that I'm not a fan of watching hentai myself. I don't think less of those who do, but personally it's not my forte and I'm sure it isn't everyone else's either. Correct me if I'm wrong though, they do have anime movies/series playing at that hour as well that aren't filled with sex too, right? I swear there was! LOL. As for panels, some people run late night panels, but yes, not everyone is willing to do overnight panels and we have to face the music if people don't want to. As a major night owl, I can rest assure there are people you can mingle with, places you can eat food, play video games, etc. at late hours where you don't have to get upset if there isn't a "Elfen Lied panel" at 2 AM or whatever your favorite series is. Just my opinion. Again, I do want to offer an alternative (albeit one geared for us older folks though) that doesn't require you to go watch hentai or line up at the Soap Bubble.

If I remember right, at any given time there was probably one non-hentai showing. But there are 4 rooms right? Meaning your choices are between 3 hentais and 1 something else. It should be at least half and half, or get some more rooms for showing. Space shouldn't be an issue, since there are very few panels after like 10-11. Personally I'd like to see (if they only have 4 rooms) 3 something else and 1 hentai. I mean, it's all the same right? ;P (jk...kinda, haha) Or have one playing alternating yuri/yaoi and the other room for hetero stuff. We need at least two animes to choose from that aren't about sex :P
ACen 2014 Schedule

#17 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 25 May 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

^I do like that idea since everyone does benefit. The ravers benefit, us hard core fans benefit, and there are age restrictions and just that tiny amount of age control that we need. I like this idea a lot and I know Anime Hell and Midnight Madness could go into another big room. I think they only complication is just people remembering where things are but that's what the program book is for. Now since i've only been to ACen three times (so pardon this if you think it's a silly question lol) but I never heard of Khaotic Katoure--what is it? Like a huge concert or something :D?

It was a fashion show. But it was mostly fan-donated clothing from what I understand, not designers like sixh, hangry&angry, and angelic pretty. (I could be totally wrong here, I didn't actually go, but read about it some) But it was definitely a fashion show. (And since we had 3 other fashion shows to replace it this year, it wasn't really needed)
ACen 2014 Schedule

#18 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Since ACen has already expanded to other hotels, just an FYI, the Crowne Plaza has plenty of huge ballrooms.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#19 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 25 May 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

It was a fashion show. But it was mostly fan-donated clothing from what I understand, not designers like sixh, hangry&angry, and angelic pretty. (I could be totally wrong here, I didn't actually go, but read about it some) But it was definitely a fashion show. (And since we had 3 other fashion shows to replace it this year, it wasn't really needed)

Oh I see. Well that'd be cool to replace it. What about maybe (idk if this is plausible but it's an idea) have a show for music skits only and have it like a second part of the masquerade? Like dancing, singers, aging instruments so more skits durin the masquerade can be skit Acting based. They could solve issues with that and more people could participate then and after have something like Khaotic Koture? I'm afraid some people might not go see a huge anime viewing since I know a lot of people that don't go to viewing rooms since "that's something they can do at home" unless it was like a CLASSIC like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or even like Proncess Mononoke or the Evangelion movies. Something people LOOOOOOOVE that also brings in The older and "classic loving crowd".

#20 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 25 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

aging instruments

They age like a fine wine.

#21 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 25 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

unless it was like a CLASSIC like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or even like Proncess Mononoke or the Evangelion movies. Something people LOOOOOOOVE that also brings in The older and "classic loving crowd".

Psh. Just bring out the first Pokemon movie. The whole dang con will show up xD Better yet, have a marathon of Pokemon movies lol
ACen 2014 Schedule

#22 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 25 May 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Psh. Just bring out the first Pokemon movie. The whole dang con will show up xD Better yet, have a marathon of Pokemon movies lol

I'd actually love that alot. lol
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#23 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

A retro "movie theater" would be awesome! It might make me want to actually venture outside my hotel room after 8 pm...

*remembers all those old movies from way back in the day of "Saturday Anime" on Sci-Fi Network...*

#24 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postrondo, on 25 May 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

They age like a fine wine.

hahaha oops stupid auto correct on my phone. God I really hate that thing sometimes. XD I mean featuring instruments lol. How the heck did my phone get aging from featuring? UGH. XD

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 25 May 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

ZOMG YES! OR even a marathon of the original Poke'mon! That would be cool too. ALL NIGHT SEE EVERY EPISODE

#25 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

So, I'm hearing that you'd like some kind of rooms where you watch videos that were open all night, eh?

Some sort of, oh, coin a term, Video Rooms? ;)

...We used to show them in larger rooms, but we just weren't having enough people show up for them to justify rooms of that size.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#26 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

I am talking massive screen. not tiny screen, which is what i feel the ones in the tiny rooms are. I can get that size here at home with a moderate projector. Talking like put a few of the giant projectors together size wise from the main ballroom, for example. EPIC MOVIE.

not "oh look, we have movies playing in here", which is what the video rooms feel like.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#27 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostSTVO, on 24 May 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

And if you've been to Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy, they do check badges. LOL. The only thing they could do is maybe check IDs if they decide to make the event geared towards an older audience.

Of all the years I been to the Soap bubble (back 2007-2008,) they never checked my badge, at all. I stopped going like in 2009 and from what I gathered from someone working in registration in 2011, they don't check badges, which is how I guessed that people who come in from the Hyatt hotel parties go into the Soapbubble/etc. because they don't really do a check in the Hyatt per say.

There USED to be someone at the door but about 95% of the time there wasn't anyone when I did go back in the day. Just an empty chair so I was always under the impression that it wasn't a badge check.

I mean it is the one right in the Hyatt in that one big hall that the line always go outside the block right? I checked it out and I didn't see IRT checking badges; just making sure people didn't really cut lines.

No my idea was more of a gameshow room sort of like Takashi's castle with nothing but games for everyone: Card games, board games, video games, games for prizes, crane machines, etc. Like a giant amusement room for all ages and more 21+ at night.

This is all in a hypothetical sense mind you like you said in OP.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#28 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 25 May 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

This, so hard. That is all.

#29 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

View Postmyrla, on 25 May 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I am talking massive screen. not tiny screen, which is what i feel the ones in the tiny rooms are. I can get that size here at home with a moderate projector. Talking like put a few of the giant projectors together size wise from the main ballroom, for example. EPIC MOVIE.

not "oh look, we have movies playing in here", which is what the video rooms feel like.

I'd like to be able to do that, believe me. We used to have huge video rooms... But people weren't watching things in them.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#30 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostUnka Josh, on 26 May 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

I'd like to be able to do that, believe me. We used to have huge video rooms... But people weren't watching things in them.

Perhaps we could go with the premiere idea? If it's something big, we can fill a room. Better still if we could get a guest connected to it, better still if it's a member of the Japanese staff responsible for it. As previously mentioned, though, the cost might be an issue.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users