• This topic is locked

Anti-Bullying

#31 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

I think he was disagreeing with the "stand up to bullies" part. I think he was saying that if bullies really wanted to they can do whatever it takes to take you down. Including shooting at you.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#32 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Some bullies really are that determined. These aren't the same kids from our parents' and grandparents' generations. Some of them are just petty - I was bullied as a kid because I wore hearing aids. When I finally convinced my parents I didn't need them (right before eighth grade started), lo and behold 99% of the same kids who used to make my life miserable started leaving me alone. I became more confident instead of scared, and over the course of that year I not only forgave some of them, but I even became friends with a few too. (One girl even messaged me recently, even though she and I had been friends for years, just to apologize for the way she bullied me.)

The other 1%, well....they more or less left me alone, but they would still make occasional jabs. One guy who lived near my neighborhood crossed paths with me when I was out walking my dog - this was when I was in early high school. He recognized me, and from the relative safety of his bike, called out if that was a dog or piece of (poop). I just laughed it off when he was out of earshot. Some people just don't change, even if you do.

The not-just-petty ones are the scary bullies. These are the kids that are the reason why I'm unsure abput having children. If the schools can't figure out how to deal with bullies, then how can I depend on the school to take care of my kid if s/he falls victim to one or a gang of them?
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#33 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 10 July 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

I think she was disagreeing with the "stand up to bullies" part. I think she was saying that if bullies really wanted to they can do whatever it takes to take you down. Including shooting at you.

Fixed~

Despite me being mistaken as a guy because of my facial hair and my height, and me crossplaying and having identity issues, I am indeed a girl with a 36C.

EDIT: Off topic note, my name literally means "Rotten/garbage girl," in Japanese so take that as you will.

But yeah this. In this day and age you can't even fight back anyone to settle matters on a fair plane, which is why there is so many suicidal teens/children in school and why we have metal detectors. So thinks that you used to be able to do then you can't now, which is very depressing.

I don't have a solution to recommend in real life bullying but the steps I mentioned is good for online bullies and to prevent online bullies.

I think with my mother being born in the 50s I used to hear stories of how things were back then and compare them to now.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 11 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#34 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 11 July 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Fixed~

Despite me being mistaken as a guy because of my facial hair and my height, and me crossplaying and having identity issues, I am indeed a girl with a 36C.

EDIT: Off topic note, my name literally means "Rotten/garbage girl," in Japanese so take that as you will.

But yeah this. In this day and age you can't even fight back anyone to settle matters on a fair plane, which is why there is so many suicidal teens/children in school and why we have metal detectors. So thinks that you used to be able to do then you can't now, which is very depressing.

I don't have a solution to recommend in real life bullying but the steps I mentioned is good for online bullies and to prevent online bullies.

I think with my mother being born in the 50s I used to hear stories of how things were back then and compare them to now.

Ah, I see. I was born in the 70s and things are different now. I got into fights with bullies in school and the most lethal weapon used was a pencil (and that was accidental).

Yeah, it's definitely a game-changer when the bully is armed. At that point the police need to step in. A guy or girl who thinks it makes them stronger to wave around a gun, and uses it to bully people--pretty soon they're going to make their way from stealing lunch money to robbing convienence stores. And then someone's going to get killed, because the bully sooner or later is going to run into someone with a bigger gun.

I also live in Montana, so we don't have that problem in our schools. Possibly because everyone up here is armed, but there's significant cultural differences too.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Yikes"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#35 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 10 July 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

You remember a time period (I'm not sure because of your age,) that if you did something in school you was beat down in the school by the teacher and then your parents later on? That you respect your elders and in turn they respected you? That other people could whoop your kids if they acted up and you was whooped by your own parents later on?

Now it's different because of people. Because of sex offenders in your own family, you can't trust your uncle your aunt, not even your husband because they might molest your daughter or even your son. Because of people abusing kids, you can't even whoop your own kid in this state without going to jail. People don't want you to be "touching their kids," but it's fine for them to do whatever you want while they sit there and watch?

When I was younger I was jumped on by four kids in the girl's washroom, beat down til my face was blue, and had about 25-50 dollars stolen from me for a school trip. Now when I told the teacher they did nothing; the principle did nothing. Even when my parents came up there the bully's parents just comment that I deserved it for being a "weak nerd." Mind you I fought back but guess what? They still messed with me and consider me weird just because I wasn't into rap and I drew. I ended up changing schools.

This generation is sad. You can't go into school without worrying about being shot at among other things. Parents are not "protecting," they are just getting lazy and more self centered and selfish because of the times. If you use a video game to watch your kids and then complain how the game is influencing your kid then you have a problem.

I don't agree with you Sent. This country just has issues and it's a culture thing. There is nothing wrong with helping people.

The problem is that parents are raising kids in ignorance and in turn the kids are doing whatever they want and when they become adults they either get spoiled, stupid, selfish, or just plan "children with adult bodies." If you are 50 something years old and you think the only way you can live in life is by using men for money and you shouldn't work, then there was some issues with your parents there.

Many parents use the school to raise them until they 'touch,' the kid, then they go off about their baby and what not. They send them off so they can smoke weed, use drugs, whatever or they use some other influence like tv or video games.

Beating the people bulling you butts doesn't work 100%; they could just shoot you after school. You was lucky; I remember this girl in high school that did try to shoot me and my friend with a gun when I tried to defend myself and him. No matter what I did the bullies loved to pick on me until I exploded. They thought it was a hoot that someone who was "a quiet snob," would go off. I even threw a desk at this boy and he still messed with me. I fought with the biggest kid in my senior class and they still threw food at me. Nothing worked; I was surprised I didn't fail high school from fighting so much and/or ditching to play yugioh.

Some kids are afraid to defend themselves because they don't want to die and it's very easy to die if you fight against a bully and people simply don't trust or believe anyone anymore, not even their own children. You don't know if they have a knife or are going to stab you, shoot you, etc. It's sad because fights used were 1 vs 1 with your fights. Now it's you vs. ten of your buddies and you don't know if they have bats or golf clubs or knives or what. Then if they keep doing it you get overwhelm and when you get overwhelmed you get desperate, which is why people bring weapons and kill said bullies or themselves, or anyone that wasn't there to "help them in their mind to this breaking point." Sad thing is that it could be prevented but once again the self centered mentality!

America is a superpower; if China had the resources like us, well they would go toe to toe with us. The reason why we haven't been nuked out the water is because of this and because a few countries did and failed due to bad timing and resources. Some people are not stupid despite history. I mean seriously, who can really go against our country and win/take over? Some tried but due to economic issues they can't. But that's a different matter all together.

I agree with much of what you say; however, there are specific segments in your speech that I am unable to clearly interpret. Perhaps there is a slight language barrier between the two of us that may be generating a form of misapprehension. I do not intend to sound discourteous, it’s simply that I have yet to encounter such a use of words and grammar before.

I understand partially where you come from being in a situation where others decide to disrespect you intending to cause you physical harm due to a difference in beliefs. I too was occasionally insulted for a genuine difference between I and the considered ‘normal’ populous of my generation. This ‘normal’ populous seemingly strived to generate a decadent attitude towards authority, believing that they were patricians and held on a higher level then they truly were. Therefore, I chose to accept a small portion of their deviant action and standup for myself in a physical confrontation when the probabilities lied within my grasp in the shadows of my peers eyes.

Rerouting back on topic, I agree 100% with your interpretation that parents are in fact significantly lazier today than they were in years of the past. I believe a portion of this is in regards to that there is a significant spike in the number of births that would be considered to be originally ‘unplanned.’ Thus bringing a child into this world by parents who are not quite ready for the responsibilities be it financially, mentally, or even environmentally. Not to mention, from what I have encountered, the general populous of today has a lack in knowledge of how to properly cook outside of a microwave / oven pre-prepared meal. [Edit] Consequently, don’t even observe their ability to upkeep a clean home environment.

This post has been edited by minecraftsmurf: 11 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

#36 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

minecraftsmurf said:

Rerouting back on topic, I agree 100% with your interpretation that parents are in fact significantly lazier today than they were in years of the past. I believe a portion of this is in regards to that there is a significant spike in the number of births that would be considered to be originally ‘unplanned.’ Thus bringing a child into this world by parents who are not quite ready for the responsibilities be it financially, mentally, or even environmentally. Not to mention, from what I have encountered, the general populous of today has a lack in knowledge of how to properly cook outside of a microwave / oven pre-prepared meal. [Edit] Consequently, don’t even observe their ability to upkeep a clean home environment.

Ha~ I have this issue a lot. My ideas are really jumbled and I type as fast as I talk. If you ever met me in person you would see a very quiet loner who talks way too fast when I open myself up. I am slowly working on this by re read what people write, re reading what I write, and typing slower.

EDIT: It's not really working =.=;

-coughs-

I agree; there are a lot of unplanned/"sex is too good children in this world", especially in this country. Part of me wish that there was a law that makes it so that you are judged mentally/economically/etc. before you have kids, but alas we do not. It's not just the lack of family values, it's also the fact that this country, and a few other countries, run on the modern technology time period. Parents talk to their children Twitter or Facebook or through their phones between little league and their morning conference. Men are no longer the breadwinners; a lot of men are becoming lazy or just plan trifling. Parents don't sit down and eat or do their homework with children; the computer and the microwave does all of that for them. Kids don't eat breakfast; instead the drink Monster for the whole day until dinner time or after school.

All of this breeds children who need an outlet, somewhere.

Yes sentinel I live in crappy Chicago, which is why there are so many gun issues. It's rare for someone to not have a gun here and the police don't really do anything much except look pretty. They don't even arrest the teenagers if the have a fight. The police guard high schools just in case stuff happen but it's easy for kids and teenagers to just go outside of school grounds and stalk them.

Me? I rather use my fist than a gun. Or whatever is handy, like say a music stand...(I'm not that bad now but yes I was a mini Shizuo.)

My parents were born during the 50s and my father used to be a gang member and part of the black panthers, so it's sad when I remember his tales of how gangs used to help the community compared to how they run amok in schools and the streets. But that's another subject.

I think that bullies also steam from how the education staff is overworked and underpaid, thus lacking. We had three really good teachers in my old high school that I admired but they were overwhelmed with everything and couldn't go one on one with the students. Some of the bad ones were really into stuff like Spanish and Chinese but it was cut off due to funding.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 11 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#37 User is offline   Noiz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62511

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Back at church school, these guys would pick on me, call me names and even insulting my family. (I'm glad that my parents don't know the guys parents)
Anyway, they think it's fun to do anything to me just to make me mad. I kept it cool for 3 years until I finally snapped. Anyone heard of Neopets? I'm not gonna lie, I still think it's cute and I had my account for like 9 years now (I started when I was like 8). I'm sure that you all have seen someone use the term gay to define something that they think is stupid. I knew what gay meant when I was only 10. The guys would tell me everyday "Neopets is gay". I told them to shut up but they wouldn't.
I left the school for a couple of years to attend a private Korean school. I came back to church school right after and they were still their. I took out my manga (I think it was Vampire Knight) and one of the guys said. "Hey remember when you liked Neopets? It's really gay. That manga you're reading is so stupid" and he goes back watching his hentai on his phone (I heard a girl moaning and I knew it was coming from the phone since all the girls were playing with their Tamagotchis). I slammed my book, went to the guy and literally pushed him out the window. The teacher wasn't in the room so I was in luck.
┈━═☆ αcεи 2 0 1 4 ☆═━┈
Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]
Okita Souji [Hakuouki] My backup cosplay if anything happens.

┈━═☆ Future Cosplays ☆═━┈
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman Reborn!]
Hiccup [How to Train Your Dragon 2]

#38 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostNoiz, on 11 July 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Back at church school, these guys would pick on me, call me names and even insulting my family. (I'm glad that my parents don't know the guys parents)
Anyway, they think it's fun to do anything to me just to make me mad. I kept it cool for 3 years until I finally snapped. Anyone heard of Neopets? I'm not gonna lie, I still think it's cute and I had my account for like 9 years now (I started when I was like 8). I'm sure that you all have seen someone use the term gay to define something that they think is stupid. I knew what gay meant when I was only 10. The guys would tell me everyday "Neopets is gay". I told them to shut up but they wouldn't.
I left the school for a couple of years to attend a private Korean school. I came back to church school right after and they were still their. I took out my manga (I think it was Vampire Knight) and one of the guys said. "Hey remember when you liked Neopets? It's really gay. That manga you're reading is so stupid" and he goes back watching his hentai on his phone (I heard a girl moaning and I knew it was coming from the phone since all the girls were playing with their Tamagotchis). I slammed my book, went to the guy and literally pushed him out the window. The teacher wasn't in the room so I was in luck.

xD let's turn this into a story topic!! That was much more fun to read than someone ranting and raving about bully's. I think one could argue that everyone is a bully in one way or another when considering how over rated it has become. A story of courage, and triumph!

#39 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

xD let's turn this into a story topic!! That was much more fun to read than someone ranting and raving about bully's. I think one could argue that everyone is a bully in one way or another when considering how over rated it has become. A story of courage, and triumph!

Everyone is a little bit of something, including being racist

Stories hmmmm....well when I was in high school I used to stand up for this guy who was picked on due to his California accent. I almost got jumped on and shot at by a bunch of girls but at the end we end up becoming friends.

Also in the same high school I was picked on because I was quiet and I would spend most of my periods playing on my GBA or drawing or reading manga. I didn't talk to many people until I tried to fit in senior year, so I was the loner.

One group in particular were a bunch of underclassmen. One of them even had a baby and they were your standard ghetto stereotype women.

I was in junior high and they used to spend art class, the only class that we had with them because they mixed electives with all of the years, playing around, cursing, or throwing stuff at me. One day when my teacher left and we had to fend for ourselves the girls kept doing it and talking about me, throwing pencils and even sharp objects. So I jumped up and threw something that was the equivalent of a rock (it was a clay sculptor,) at one of the girls and ended up jumping all four of them. The whole class had to hold me down from literally killing them.

I was known as a type of Shizuo after that. Ironically I never was suspended when I defended myself.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#40 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

I smashed a bully in the face with a plaster cast (I had broken my arm a month before), then rammed his cheek into a pencil--like the Joker eye trick. It left a permanent scar, which means every time he looks in the mirror, he'll remember that day.

Never had another problem with him.

The teacher brought my parents in to tell them I was going to be suspended. My dad asked her one question: "Where were you when all this abuse was taking place?" The answer was, sitting behind her desk like a stunned deer. It was her first teaching job and she didn't know what to do. My folks then told the principal, outlining how this prepubescent Saddam had been going after me for months, including kicking the backs of my knees, shoving me down steps, and punching me in the stomach. The principal gave the bully a week's detention and moved him to another class.

A few days later, the bully told me that his parents (who were rich) were going to sue my parents for scarring him. From what I heard later, his parents had told him he was lucky he got off as easy as he did. Apparently I got a reputation as being a little psycho.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Hence the nickname"

BEAR CAV!

#41 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59766

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 01 June 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Also there are the people who are attention promiscuous women that want to kill themselves. So it's hard for me to figure out who is who and actually help/care.

Yeah, there are people like that but like I often say I'd rather a 1000 people who didn't need help get it than have 1 person who did need it not get it.

I've been the victim of severe bullying and I have depression. I was suicidal during high school because the bullying and I had no friends to rely on for moral support. I'm glad to see more action being taken against it. I think the best solution to most cases is for administrators to address the issue early one. A bullying problem is easier to solve when it's new and hasn't had time to grow.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
flapper!fem!America (Hetalia - Original design)
maid!Nitori (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013)

#42 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostSanta Finland, on 30 July 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Yeah, there are people like that but like I often say I'd rather a 1000 people who didn't need help get it than have 1 person who did need it not get it.

I've been the victim of severe bullying and I have depression. I was suicidal during high school because the bullying and I had no friends to rely on for moral support. I'm glad to see more action being taken against it. I think the best solution to most cases is for administrators to address the issue early one. A bullying problem is easier to solve when it's new and hasn't had time to grow.

Sorry to hear that, I wish you was around my generation time period/high school :( -hugs-

I ran into a lot of the newer generations as I mentioned above who said how good so and so has it compared to them, how depressed they were, etc. and how their life sucks, and when they complain about their lives they sound like very spoiled teenagers. They get 100 dollars a week from their parents, game systems out the wazoo, cars, never pay bills, parents always had their back, etc. I seen people who were beaten until they were blue and come home to parents who also beat them because they lost a street fight.

I guess my empathy for people is starting to die. I can understand how not everyone thinks or feels like X and tell people not to jump the gun but it's hard for me to feel sorry for X when I find out that X is like YZPQ from before :(
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#43 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Uncle Kirby had a bully. Had one since the day he dumped gravel on my head in day care.

This guy would torment me and act up everyday, and yet he could not be stopped despite multiple behavioral problems and reports against his name. It got worse for me as the teasing got to be daily, with him smiling every time he saw me like he was a madman. It eventually got to me, and I started acting up.

Cue a hospital stay and a few psychologists/psychiatrists later, I was in high school with weight problems. Constantly feeling bad about my weight because of him teasing me and not wanting to even walk the halls because of this.

Then in Junior year we had a few bomb threats called in and in all his infinite wisdom he decided to call in one. He was found and expelled shortly thereafter, and I was able to walk the halls of Sandwich High in relative peace (each school has more than one dickbutt, don't you know?).

Five years after graduation, I'm building a resume with a great company that spans the globe, trying to make the world my Rocky Mountain oyster, while he, to my knowledge, is in and out of jail, throwing his life away, thinking he can keep having his parents bail him out of his self dug graves.

In answering to bullying, I can only share some of the best wisdom I ever saw in a Call of Duty game-

Spoiler

Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#44 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but did anyone see the video of that one bus monitor that was getting harassed/bullied by the students? It was horrible to watch :( The woman said that it doesn't happen until a group starts doing it and then more kids chime in. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XAgti_2uziA I never made it through the entire video. I just kept thinking that could have been my Grandma, someones Grandma, and I'll be damned if anyone is that disrespectful to their elders let alone anyone else. It's sad that not one of those kids had the courage to tell them to knock it off. But then they probably would have been the next target. Even so, I would have said something.
It's happened before and I don't let it affect me. In middle school this one kid was getting in my friends face, making her cry, calling her fat and some other choice phrases. I yelled at him to knock it off and then he got in my face. He was so close I thought he was going to touch me so I punched him in the face. I was surprised at how much of a baby he was. And then I got the detention...not him. Luckily my homeroom teacher was overlooking the detention room and let me leave *I was such a teachers pet lol* but the best thing is that the kid never said anything to me or my friend after that and stopped being such a jerk.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#45 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

This is going to sound weird, perhaps...but I wonder if there's any correlation to becoming anime fans and being the victim of bullying. Granted, when I was in high school during the Bronze Age, anime was virtually unknown (I was a gamer, so that was my social pariah status), but had it not been for gaming, I would've never been introduced to anime amongst like minded people.

Anime's not per se "edgy" and "not cool" today, at least where I live; just about everyone's watched Pokemon and DBZ at least once or twice, and people don't look at me like they're measuring for a straitjacket when I mention how much I love anime...so maybe it's not true.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe there's a little Kouta Hirano in all of us"

BEAR CAV!

#46 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 31 July 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

This is going to sound weird, perhaps...but I wonder if there's any correlation to becoming anime fans and being the victim of bullying. Granted, when I was in high school during the Bronze Age, anime was virtually unknown (I was a gamer, so that was my social pariah status), but had it not been for gaming, I would've never been introduced to anime amongst like minded people.

Anime's not per se "edgy" and "not cool" today, at least where I live; just about everyone's watched Pokemon and DBZ at least once or twice, and people don't look at me like they're measuring for a straitjacket when I mention how much I love anime...so maybe it's not true.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe there's a little Kouta Hirano in all of us"

I think anything that isn't "in," at schools makes you a target. Like I was bullied because I didn't like rap, I didn't smoke weed, I liked video games and anime (which was a boy thing, since all the boys liked video games,) I didn't paint my nails, and I didn't have sex. Combine all of that and a lack of a boyfriend (or interest,) made the other kids pick on me.

My friend's case: He was black with a french accent and really skinny, so girls thought he was girly.

Also you have the haters and the people who are just jerks in general. Like that poor old lady on the bus. Seriously I raged a minute when I seen that. I am glad that she did get donations and quit that damn job. I was mad AGAIN when people started to beg for her half a million dollars. Seriously when I think humanity shows good then something or someone else runs it for them once again.

I am still mad about the kids too; they got off easy. People should had shamed them, including their own parents. Only one parent from what I gather did anything about the incident and apologize. The other ones, nothing on them so far.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 01 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#47 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 31 July 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

This is going to sound weird, perhaps...but I wonder if there's any correlation to becoming anime fans and being the victim of bullying.

I wasn't even vocal about my activities, it was because I was overweight and easily upset.

And quiet... they seem to like that.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#48 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I personally don't think there's much correlation between being an anime fan and being bullied.

I was super open about liking anime and video games and comics and a bunch of other stuff in high school. I didn't do drugs or even drink. I wasn't promiscuous. I did theater, and competed in academic "quiz bowls", and did speech. I got good grades. I was in all honors/gifted/ advanced placement classes. I was, for the most part, quiet. Basically the whole geek nine yards.Nobody ever picked on me.The only people who openly disliked me were actually other nerds in my honors courses, who were annoyed because I was very lazy and getting the same grades as them.
Maybe I just went to a really awesome school, I don't know.
That being said there will always be people who hear the word "anime" and think you're a total creep who watches cartoon porn all day. But I don't really think people single others out for those kind of hobbies anymore. From what I can tell, anime and gaming IS sort of hip and cool these days.
Edit: Most of post redacted as it may have been slightly offensive in a topic that is meant to sympathize with bully victims, the majority of whom do not deserve what they get.

This post has been edited by Kii: 06 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#49 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostKii, on 06 August 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

I personally don't think there's much correlation between being an anime fan and being bullied.

I was super open about liking anime and video games and comics and a bunch of other stuff in high school. I didn't do drugs or even drink. I wasn't promiscuous. I did theater, and competed in academic "quiz bowls", and did speech. I got good grades. I was in all honors/gifted/ advanced placement classes. I was, for the most part, quiet. Basically the whole geek nine yards.Nobody ever picked on me.The only people who openly disliked me were actually other nerds in my honors courses, who were annoyed because I was very lazy and getting the same grades as them.
Maybe I just went to a really awesome school, I don't know.
That being said there will always be people who hear the word "anime" and think you're a total creep who watches cartoon porn all day. But I don't really think people single others out for those kind of hobbies anymore. From what I can tell, anime and gaming IS sort of hip and cool these days.
Edit: Most of post redacted as it may have been slightly offensive in a topic that is meant to sympathize with bully victims, the majority of whom do not deserve what they get.

You proabably did go to a great school. Cuz in pretty much every case most people who get picked on have done nothing to deserve it. Sure some might be annoying to other people, but they haven't directly singled other people out to annoy and have those same people turn around and abuse them. Hell if I hadn't been used and abused all the years that I have been, I'd still proabably be the happy, smiling, helpful person I was a kid.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#50 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 06 August 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

You proabably did go to a great school. Cuz in pretty much every case most people who get picked on have done nothing to deserve it. Sure some might be annoying to other people, but they haven't directly singled other people out to annoy and have those same people turn around and abuse them. Hell if I hadn't been used and abused all the years that I have been, I'd still proabably be the happy, smiling, helpful person I was a kid.

Maybe. I have a friend who gets picked on a lot/ taken advantage of a lot because he isn't so smart and very generous and naive.It's starting to take it's toll on his usually sunny disposition, which is sad to see because I know he personally doesn't annoy other people on purpose, or even realize he's doing anything wrong.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users