Anime Central Forums: A suggestion regarding refunding badges. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A suggestion regarding refunding badges.

#1 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

So I just saw this Q&A on the Anime Midwest website and thought it was brilliant. I'd love for Anime Central to implement something like this. I know so many people complain about this issue every year, and this year I was among them since I'd bought two tickets (one for myself and one for an ex, who obviously wasn't attending once I dumped him) I know you guys probably make a good chunk of money from people who buy badges and don't attend, but if you want a better reputation and less people giving away/selling their badges, I'd definitely look into this as a possibility.

"I pre-registered and can't make it this year, can I get a refund?
We can send you a refund if the refund is requested within 30 days of your registration. We can not give refunds after 30 days, except in the case of documentable medical exceptions. If it is after this time, you can email us up to 30 days prior to the convention and we will transfer your registration to next year's convention. We do not allow badges to be resold, given away, or otherwise transferred to other individuals."
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 30%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Moved to 2016: Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#2 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Agreed for good idea.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#3 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yea I think this is a very reasonable idea.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Washu Takahashi said:

"I pre-registered and can't make it this year, can I get a refund?
We can send you a refund if the refund is requested within 30 days of your registration. We can not give refunds after 30 days, except in the case of documentable medical exceptions. If it is after this time, you can email us up to 30 days prior to the convention and we will transfer your registration to next year's convention. We do not allow badges to be resold, given away, or otherwise transferred to other individuals."

This totally. I also couldn't make it due to being sick.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I would like to point out for any mods who might be reading this that this method wouldn't cover a lot of people. (In my example, I wouldn't have been able to get the money back for my ex's ticket and I couldn't transfer it to next year in my name since this still says they're non-transferable.) But it's a lot better than saying "Oh sorry, your money is gone down the drain" At least they'd have some hope of a refund. You'll still get your fair share of extra money from people who buy tickets and don't end up attending though.
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%

#6 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

We already encourage anyone who is experiencing extenuating circumstances to reach out to our registration department, but as a general statement we do not refund memberships. It is pretty neat that other conventions sell tickets instead of memberships, which allows them to refund tickets easier, but as we do not sell tickets in that sense, we have different policies.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#7 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

If you can say Voltaire30, why is it that memberships are sold compared to tickets? Is there a benefit to it?
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#8 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 22 May 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

If you can say Voltaire30, why is it that memberships are sold compared to tickets? Is there a benefit to it?

Seconding this question. And of course, we mean benefits besides the fact that it lines Acen's pockets when people can't show.
ACen 2015 Plans

#9 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well believe it or not, we actually don't get a lot of people who buy the badge (membership) and don't come to the convention. So it doesn't really "line Acen's pockets", but I (we) do know and understand your frustration, and I realize that the particular phrase probably isn't intended to extract a negative reaction, but to convey your question in the most passionate way possible.

The benefits between tickets and memberships have become more subtle. In the case of benefits to attendees, tickets are just that, a ticket to an event. Whereas a membership awards you special rights and privileges. This was particularly good for things like the old con suite, a place where members (attendees) could eat for free or a minimal fee. We also provide other services during the convention to our members, like assistance to the handicap able, help with identifying lost parties/kids, emergency medical response teams, possible discounts to food or places around the community, and more. These things we could also provide for free if we used tickets, but then you could use general public officials instead, like what most large comic-cons do.

So given our desire to be here for you, the attendee, we use memberships rather than tickets because we don't have the desire to leave you high and dry when you need help.

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#10 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean my comment to come off as rude, I should have worded it better. I am surprised though since a lot of people every year ask about refunds on the forums. Guess it just looks like a large amount on here since, as they say, more people will go out of their way to complain given the chance before they'll do the same to praise.

It's good to see how our memberships get put to good use. At the very least I know the membership I couldn't use helped a disabled person out or something useful :) I'm still for having some type of refund system, even if it has very strict guidelines, but I do understand the position you guys are in.
ACen 2015 Plans

#11 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Well believe it or not, we actually don't get a lot of people who buy the badge (membership) and don't come to the convention. So it doesn't really "line Acen's pockets", but I (we) do know and understand your frustration, and I realize that the particular phrase probably isn't intended to extract a negative reaction, but to convey your question in the most passionate way possible.

The benefits between tickets and memberships have become more subtle. In the case of benefits to attendees, tickets are just that, a ticket to an event. Whereas a membership awards you special rights and privileges. This was particularly good for things like the old con suite, a place where members (attendees) could eat for free or a minimal fee. We also provide other services during the convention to our members, like assistance to the handicap able, help with identifying lost parties/kids, emergency medical response teams, possible discounts to food or places around the community, and more. These things we could also provide for free if we used tickets, but then you could use general public officials instead, like what most large comic-cons do.

So given our desire to be here for you, the attendee, we use memberships rather than tickets because we don't have the desire to leave you high and dry when you need help.

though, if one buys a ticket to a theme park they get those things as well.
( not trying to sass you, simply saying the reasons you are giving aren't the most valid )Mentioning the con suite sort of destroys your point considering Anime Midwest does have one ( leaving people high and dry?)

And I know you guys probably do try to encourage those with serious circumstances to get into contact with you, but the page for registration seems very firm that there are no refunds, transfers, anything at all.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#12 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 22 May 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

though, if one buys a ticket to a theme park they get those things as well.
( not trying to sass you, simply saying the reasons you are giving aren't the most valid )Mentioning the con suite sort of destroys your point considering Anime Midwest does have one ( leaving people high and dry?)

And I know you guys probably do try to encourage those with serious circumstances to get into contact with you, but the page for registration seems very firm that there are no refunds, transfers, anything at all.

I hear what your saying. I also had the (un)fortunate pleasure of also working for an amusement park. They make their profit and money off of the food and games since their money from ticket sales goes to their bills, payroll, and marketing campaigns. Since we don't have that many revenue streams, I am not sure if they can be compared to a fan-run non-profit convention. That is just me though, maybe.

I can't necessarily speak to how Anime Midwest, and their affiliated conventions use their money though. Sorry I can't go into detail about that particular topic.

I don't know exactly what you mean by the no refunds policy being very firm, since it is only one sentence, but that may just be my personal opinion since I write contracts. I do know what you mean though, it is absolutely logical to make sure that something can hold up to general questions. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users