Anime Central Forums: Policital topics getting canned here. - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Policital topics getting canned here. Anyone else sick of fhis?

#31 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

View Postminecraftsmurf, on 23 May 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

*sighs gently* I know, I know, I said part of this in a different post and a different topic.

Any 'opinion' based topic will ultimately offend some individuals. Any 'political' based topic will ultimately offend some individuals

Therefore, as this is common knowledge, one would believe that the individuals whom decide to partake in such ‘topics’ would be prepared to face’ opinions’ that they may not necessarily agree with. Consequently, one would also believe they would know how to properly handle the situation instead of stomping their feet screaming foul play.

So, if ‘you’ as an individual who knows yourself better than any other person can tell by the “topic name” and / or “topic description” that you will be unable to maintain competence while engaging in that ‘topic’ simply do not ‘click’ it. It really is… that simple.

When have people expressed common sense when it came to debates? To anything?

Example: Someone put their live child into the washing machine and turned it on

Another example: why post about a girl you don't agree with or you hate on something like facebook, etc. instead of confronting said girl? Or guy?

It doesn't help that it's the internet and well people think that anything on the internet is fair play and they can do whatever they want without worrying about it. Including act as an idiot, no matter how bias or wrong their mindset or opinion is for said topic.

EDIT: I like debates. My only pet peeve? People who can't face the heat and have to hide when it comes down in their face, online or in real life.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 23 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#32 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 23 May 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

When have people expressed common sense when it came to debates? To anything?

Example: Someone put their live child into the washing machine and turned it on

Another example: why post about a girl you don't agree with or you hate on something like facebook, etc. instead of confronting said girl? Or guy?

It doesn't help that it's the internet and well people think that anything on the internet is fair play and they can do whatever they want without worrying about it. Including act as an idiot, no matter how bias or wrong their mindset or opinion is for said topic.

EDIT: I like debates. My only pet peeve? People who can't face the heat and have to hide when it comes down in their face, online or in real life.

I agree, therefore I put up a real picture in my profile. However, this is indeed the internet. This is where individuals come to say what they want to say but are either too scared, or simply can not say in real life. Many of us are required to put on a fake smile, and bite our tongues in order to uphold a professional appearance. We are required to dodge political talk, not provide opinions, and basically tell individuals what ever it is that they desire to hear. So... instead of letting it build up, and build up, and build up... we come to the net to vent.

Here... no videos or pictures that may damage our reputation are produced (such as marching in a protest) that will likely cost us our jobs... and / or prevent us from finding ones in the future. In fact, I know quite a few individuals who were 'let go' simply for their involvement with recent protests.

#33 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 18 May 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Ok. This has been happening on here for awhile now (mostly whenever big politcal news happens) and I'm honestly getting tired of it. I like to debate, I like to discuss current event happenings, I like to voice my opinon on such events. However on here, the mods have almost taken it to the point of trying to make us all get along by not letting us talk about it. I'm tired of this sentiment of "If you all can't agree we have to take this away now." We are big girls and boys. We can handle ourselves. Now of course I will say that if it becomes nothing but flaming and personal attacks some action should be taken. Like deleting those persons comments or something. not shutting down the thread. If someone is being disruptive in a classroom the whole class doesn't get detention.

Now I will first admit that I am not a subtle person when it comes to debating. I am very blunt, upfront, I hold nothing back about how I feel, and some might say worse about me. However, I do try to read and listen to other view points even if I don't agree with them. And I also do not personal attack someone because of their politcal position or for any other reason.

We are all different people, and locking up threads because we might debate or even argue because it might make people offended is really annoying. Just had to vent about it.

If you went to a Catholic elementary school, the quoted bolded statement is actually not the case. If one kid set a single toe a hair out of line, the entire class would get multiple punishment assignments due the next day (usually to the order of several 5+ page papers), a pop quiz worth a lot the next day for ALL students gradewise, and the entire class had to stay after that day for detention. Very Old Testament, Big Brother, and capitalizing onf Catholic Guilt and bullying to make a point.

View Postsisterdiscord, on 19 May 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Not usually a mod, just your friendly neighborhood Rosa-- but let me say that a part of it is that we've got to be careful. I asked the mods to do this during the presidential elections last time because it began to get heated.

As a 501c3 we are an apolitical organization, and while the forums aren't ACEN/MAPS words, we try to err on the side of caution in not getting tangled up in political speech because it could literally cost us our NFP status.

Causes like the Comic Book legal Defense Fund? Absolutely fair game, but when it comes to partisanship and elections, we must remain neutral, and we need to avoid the perception of taking sides or endorsing.

I don't want to stir up a big fuss, but you guys did ask, and I feel like you deserve an answer.

Technically, only if ACen were officially to ake political endorsements or stances on things. Providing a legal disclaimer while leaving the forums free would be a feasible solution. Big disclaimer note popup upon accessing the forums -- I know a number of other forums/sites that do (or in the past have done) that exact thing, noting that the views expressed within are neither made on behalf of nor reflect the beliefs/opinions of the parent company/organization, and that all views expressed are strictly held by those expressing them.

TL;DR -- big disclaimer notice, just like every single DVD with a commentary section has. Legally, that is really all you guys need do, besides staff/MAPS employees actually avoiding posting things in the name of ACen/MAPS that are in violation of non-profit status policies. If anyone who is on staff or works for MAPS would like to comment in such a thread, legal-wise, a disclaimer stating that the following opinion and views expressed are strictly person and in no way reflect your employer/ACen/MAPS would be all that is needed to make that differentiation (perhaps even auto-inserting a disclaimer badge in all staff members' signatures, in event they forget to mention it).
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#34 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 25 May 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

If you went to a Catholic elementary school, the quoted bolded statement is actually not the case. If one kid set a single toe a hair out of line, the entire class would get multiple punishment assignments due the next day (usually to the order of several 5+ page papers), a pop quiz worth a lot the next day for ALL students gradewise, and the entire class had to stay after that day for detention. Very Old Testament, Big Brother, and capitalizing onf Catholic Guilt and bullying to make a point.

Ah Catholic schools. Providing more proof that nobody wants to be a part of you. lol.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users