5.26.12 Guess what's back..?

#31 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostBreBre716, on 18 May 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

If this really is the legit Schedule then Adult Swim had done what I had hoped they wouldn't do to it. Normal line up and just slap the Toonami name on it ....

*le sigh*

View Postrondo, on 18 May 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Can't say that I am surprised. It may wind up only being a little dressing for Saturday night and that's it.

That would be real lame. Again, I'm hoping not, but I honestly would not be surprised. Heck when they expanded to the "8:00 PM central" I thought to myself "They have to have something special planned if they're going to be starting this early?!? Maybe premiering new shows in prime-time or perhaps they finally acquired The Simpsons?" Nope, just moved King of the Hill up an hour and all the Fox shows an hour long. Lame. I'm hoping they'll at least slightly alter the schedule and maybe pick up at least one classic Toonami show, but it might be asking a lot. :P

Well despite that, I decided to make a Toonami schedule. I tried to make it somewhat realistic with them doing a repeat of the block earlier at 1 am to 4 am (honestly, even if we do get several Toonami shows added to this block, there's no way they're not doing a repeat session. Every channel from Adult Swim to Nick at Nite, etc. does repeats.) Anyway straight from my newest article on STVO Universe, here's my Toonami Schedule!

All Times are Central
8:00 PM – Teen Titans/Justice League/Justice League Ulimited Cycled (Hate Teen Titans, but it was popular on Toonami)
8:30 PM – Megas XLR
9:00 PM – Samurai Jack
9:30 PM – Sailor Moon
10:00 PM – Dragon Ball Z
10:30 PM – Yu Yu Hakusho
11:00 PM – Bleach
11:30 PM – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
12:00 AM - Durarara!!
12:30 AM – Tenchi Muyo! (Pick Any)
1:00 AM-4:59 AM – Repeats of 9PM to 12:30 AM Programming
5:00 AM – Voltron
5:30 AM – Gigantor

Something for fans new and old! Only Toonami!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#32 User is offline   cloudacmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17980

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

SO PUMPED.
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudacmaster
Cosplays did not happen in 2009, thanks to finals. Things are not looking good in 2010 either :/ I may not make it til Acen until Sat. evening.
Forum Doctor and Forum weather man!

#33 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

So the block will remain Mid to 6am. Older shows will show with some newer ones tossed in. Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt is probably gonna sneak into that lineup sometime this year, probably fall.

You have a nice lineup STVO but I'd toss Sailor Moon out..that is unless CN wants to get their pants sued off. I'd put it on lists if there was any chance it for it to be licensed again (bet it will cost a ton) but also for the fact, I don't see [AS] pulling to have that show for their block. When you look at it overall, it doesn't really fit that late night window.

This post has been edited by rondo: 18 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

#34 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

As for my own lineup (to start), based on the Mid to 6 window, I'd say...:

00:00: Bleach (pretty much a lock)
00:30: FMA: Brotherhood (potential new show slot rotation)
01:00: Durarara (rotate with Tenchi Muyo properties)
01:30: Dragonball Z/Kai
02:00: Yu Yu Hakusho (rotate with Scryed)
02:30: Outlaw Star (rotation with Trigun, Cowboy Bebop)
03:00: Gundam (rotation with any number of Gundam series)
03:30: GITS (rotation with GITS:SAC)
04:00: Big O (rotation with Big O II, Blue Sub 6 [flex spot, if more than one show has new episodes])
04:30: New Episode Reshow
05:00: Inu Yasha
05:30: Gigantor (rotation with Astro Boy, other classics)

With this time window, I don't really see CN properties showing up (JL, JLU, TT, Megas, SJ, and so on).

#35 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postrondo, on 18 May 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

As for my own lineup (to start), based on the Mid to 6 window, I'd say...:

00:00: Bleach (pretty much a lock)
00:30: FMA: Brotherhood (potential new show slot rotation)
01:00: Durarara (rotate with Tenchi Muyo properties)
01:30: Dragonball Z/Kai
02:00: Yu Yu Hakusho (rotate with Scryed)
02:30: Outlaw Star (rotation with Trigun, Cowboy Bebop)
03:00: Gundam (rotation with any number of Gundam series)
03:30: GITS (rotation with GITS:SAC)
04:00: Big O (rotation with Big O II, Blue Sub 6 [flex spot, if more than one show has new episodes])
04:30: New Episode Reshow
05:00: Inu Yasha
05:30: Gigantor (rotation with Astro Boy, other classics)

With this time window, I don't really see CN properties showing up (JL, JLU, TT, Megas, SJ, and so on).

Nice line-up! I could see that being the case and yeah I really doubt Adult Swim is giving up the pre 12:00 slots, which sucks but the ratings are a big thing. I know DBZ Kai isn't airing on Nicktoons Network at the time and they did show regular DBZ on the Toonami April Fools night, but would they be able to air Kai? I didn't know about the legal troubles of Sailor Moon. And yeah, if the time is this limited Cartoon Network properties likely won't get a spot on Toonami unless it's in the 5 AM window if they choose not to air Gigantor/Astro Boy. Realistically, I probably wouldn't watch the 5 am slot, though I really do want to check out Gigantor sometime (only watched one episode and barely remember it, lol.)
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#36 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostSTVO, on 18 May 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Nice line-up! I could see that being the case and yeah I really doubt Adult Swim is giving up the pre 12:00 slots, which sucks but the ratings are a big thing. I know DBZ Kai isn't airing on Nicktoons Network at the time and they did show regular DBZ on the Toonami April Fools night, but would they be able to air Kai? I didn't know about the legal troubles of Sailor Moon. And yeah, if the time is this limited Cartoon Network properties likely won't get a spot on Toonami unless it's in the 5 AM window if they choose not to air Gigantor/Astro Boy. Realistically, I probably wouldn't watch the 5 am slot, though I really do want to check out Gigantor sometime (only watched one episode and barely remember it, lol.)

Sailor Moon is held by Toei for the video, and if anything, Funi is likely to be the partner if any agreement can be made (if not already in the background). Something may eventually happen if the money all works out.

As for DBZ Kai, locally, it is shown on Kids WB..which has shook hands with CN before. Even Naruto Shippuden may not be entirely out of the question (doesn't seem to be on Disney XD anymore either, as they have gone similar to CN..their own properties mostly).

#37 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

The AS link says it was revised 4/30. Toonami was announced after that so I'm sure it's changed.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#38 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

Ok, as I dig a little deeper and look around teh webz, I come across two things.

TOONAMI - Beginning Saturday, May 26, Adult Swim brings back Toonami, the network's popular block of anime programming. Airing weekly from midnight to 6 a.m. (ET/PT), in addition to the return of previous series featured in Toonami, Adult Swim is also developing new original anime programming for fans.
Read more at http://www.thefutonc...Y2zjGl2vIWUZ.99

That *could* be scary. Typical CN stuff though, make their own properties instead of renting them. And...

Returning acquisitions:

· AMERICAN DAD

· BLEACH

· CLEVELAND SHOW

· FAMILY GUY

· FULL METAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD

· KING OF THE HILL
Read more at http://www.thefutonc...Y2zjGl2vIWUZ.99

I kinda take this as Kekkashi and Durarara are up in the air.

#39 User is offline   Khuga 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60874

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins are being add to the Toonami block May 26th. Adult Swim Schedule
Here is the full Article from ANN Toonami schedule

This post has been edited by Khuga: 21 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

#40 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostKhuga, on 21 May 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins are being add to the Toonami block May 26th. Adult Swim Schedule
Here is the full Article from ANN Toonami schedule

Haven't seen Deadman or Casshern, but both descriptions looked interesting! I really hope they don't play Pant and Stocking...I just can't stand the art style personally. Fairy Tail would be nice to see, though I now own it. Ad I'd LOVE for the new Inuyasha to play since I didn't even know a continuation existed. Glad to see they're really trying here. Everyone needs to watch so we can boost rating and give them more $$$!
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%

#41 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

i am excited for the 2 new anime. i wanted to see deadman wonderland and cassher sins intrigues me lol. but i certainly hope this isnt all were getting. i understand that this is going to be a long transition but as previously stated by others i hope they dont slap toonami on and call it a day. what made toonami special were its great classic shows and thats what brought that ratings boost on april 1st. were not asking for a repat of april 1st but at least give us a couple classic shows. all nostalgia wont be the best choice but neither will a couple newbies on the already same ol same ol that were tired of. you need a good balance of both nostalgia and fresh. im hoping that they pull a few tricks out of their sleeves saturday but i suppose we will have to wait and see lol.

#42 User is offline   Azzy Kurita 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7579
  • Location:Green Bay, WI and currently recruiting folks for my Fantasy Football leagues.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

From what I understand, they're running on a very limited budget and they can expand and get more and better shows if things work out well. I'm still holding out some hope and plan on watching it.
"In American football, even when the opponent scores 99 points, we'll win if we score 100 points. The most important thing in American football is offense."
-- Hiruma, Eyeshield 21

I am very much single and looking. ;P

Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate

Come to KitsuneKon!

#43 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm just going to leave this here

Spoiler

I mean Deadman Wonderland? This is awesome news!!!
~~

#44 User is offline   delial 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59936

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

so, forgive my ignorance, but I've never had cable (ugh!! I mean we did a long time ago..lol) so I was just wondering if like I dnno I would really like to watch toonami!! so if anyone has tips or whatever> I dunno. Sad kitty!! ;-; I see the lineup and I really wish I could watch some, rewatch some and finish watching some.
Uso Mitai na I Love You

#45 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 22 May 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Haven't seen Deadman or Casshern, but both descriptions looked interesting! I really hope they don't play Pant and Stocking...I just can't stand the art style personally. Fairy Tail would be nice to see, though I now own it. Ad I'd LOVE for the new Inuyasha to play since I didn't even know a continuation existed. Glad to see they're really trying here. Everyone needs to watch so we can boost rating and give them more $$$!

yes!!!!!!!!!!
playing the new InuYasha would be like reincarnating the adult swim of old. It would be nostalgic but new. I think they should play the classic stuff again but unedited, and with full gore. :D
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#46 User is offline   Naoya Toudou 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17652

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Tomorrow ladies and gentlemen :)

#47 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostNaoya Toudou, on 25 May 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Tomorrow ladies and gentlemen :)

Indeed. What I also found interesting that Steve Blum is now voicing a number of their commercials that run during the Adult Swim window.

#48 User is offline   Jang Hee Joon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5162

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Casshern Sins > Deadman Wonderland. I read Deadman Wonderland back when it was still a scanlation, definitely preferring the manga over the show so far. I'll continue to watch weekly for Casshern, though. Neat way of portraying the story. I never did watch the original.. Maybe I should.

#49 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostJang Hee Joon, on 26 May 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Casshern Sins > Deadman Wonderland. I read Deadman Wonderland back when it was still a scanlation, definitely preferring the manga over the show so far. I'll continue to watch weekly for Casshern, though. Neat way of portraying the story. I never did watch the original.. Maybe I should.

I was the opposite but I thought both were good shows! The rest of the block was good and I enjoyed the Toonami layout with the little budget it has. I do wish they did some nostalgic shows. Heck if they couldn't retrieve the rights to old anime, use Cartoon Network originals like previously mentioned in this thread (as long as they're, you know action based.) and yeah sucks that Adult Swim can't be all Toonami on Saturday, but as ratings in the past have shown, they need the comedy lead ins.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#50 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I only bothered to watch Deadman and Casshern since I'm way too far behind in Bleach and FMA to bother catching up. But I was really please with what I saw! Deadman looks like it has great potential, so I'm excited to see how that plays out. Casshern seemed very reminiscent of Cyborg 009 to me...but I did like Cyborg 009 so I'll continue to stick with it for now. Did anyone watch the original Casshern? Is there anything important to know? Or is the fact that he somehow killed Luna all that matters right now?
Possible ACen 2015 Plans

#51 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

The new shows provided a little change and replaced DRRR and Kekkaishi. There were no signs of the older shows so what Toonami is at this point is nothing more than a block skin, similar to its last iteration before it was originally shut down.

Also, Viz only has bleach left airing during this block. Perhaps this is a sign that Viz is on its way out as a content provider for [AS]. Then again, Viz isn't flush with a bunch of titles.

#52 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just a thought, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the classics classic BECAUSE they aired on Toonami? They didn't air anywhere else before. (The only exceptions I can think of are Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin, which aired on AS then moved to Toonami) Really, it wouldn't be Toonami if they only played what are now considered classics (Note: I'm NOT saying I wouldn't like classics, I would) The point of Toonami was to introduce Americans to new anime in a time where internet downloads weren't so accessible and to create future classics.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans

#53 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 29 May 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Just a thought, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the classics classic BECAUSE they aired on Toonami? They didn't air anywhere else before. (The only exceptions I can think of are Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin, which aired on AS then moved to Toonami) Really, it wouldn't be Toonami if they only played what are now considered classics (Note: I'm NOT saying I wouldn't like classics, I would) The point of Toonami was to introduce Americans to new anime in a time where internet downloads weren't so accessible and to create future classics.

YYH was on Adult Swim, Kenshin wasn't. Neon Genesis and Big O were on Toonami (NGE was a one week event) but then moved to Adult Swim. If we're going to get technical, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were on syndication in America prior to Toonami (in Chicago terms, from what I remember they were on UPN 50 or Channel 26: The U) prior to gaining wide popularity on Toonami.

My nerdy nitpicks aside, you are correct with what you think of Toonami making many anime shows classic in America. Like I said for most part I like the return of Toonami, but airing shows like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig (I hope Motoko isn't reading... XD) while both are awesome shows, they're not Toonami shows... at all. 2nd Gig I think has had a few runs on Adult Swim and Cowboy Bebop has been on Adult Swim since the block first launched in 2001. I can understand getting the licenses to old shows may be pricey or for the case of Dragon Ball Z Kai, I think Funimation still has it running on CW's Saturday morning block and Nicktoons Network just stopped airing it a few months ago, so maybe Funi can't for contract reasons? I could be way wrong on that.

I think as long the shows have new episodes on Toonami (FMA Brotherhood, Bleach, Durarara, etc.) then they can remain on Toonami but if it's just reruns of shows that have aired numerously on AS, then give them a break (looking at you Cowboy Bebop.) Rondo is pretty much right that this block is just Adult Swim Action with "Toonami" skin. You know what though? That's okay by me. Adult Swim hasn't put any effort into making their Saturday block stand out in ages, so if calling it Toonami is what they have to do, then go for it.

I know many may disagree, but I wish they'd bump Toonami up at least an hour (again, I know they won't because Boondocks/Family Guy bring in ratings) and air shows like Megas, Justice League, and Samurai Jack. Heck shows that would be Toonami bound if it were still a kids block like Symbiotic Titan, Generator Rex, etc. would be cool too.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#54 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostSTVO, on 29 May 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

YYH was on Adult Swim, Kenshin wasn't. Neon Genesis and Big O were on Toonami (NGE was a one week event) but then moved to Adult Swim. If we're going to get technical, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were on syndication in America prior to Toonami (in Chicago terms, from what I remember they were on UPN 50 or Channel 26: The U) prior to gaining wide popularity on Toonami.

My nerdy nitpicks aside, you are correct with what you think of Toonami making many anime shows classic in America. Like I said for most part I like the return of Toonami, but airing shows like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig (I hope Motoko isn't reading... XD) while both are awesome shows, they're not Toonami shows... at all. 2nd Gig I think has had a few runs on Adult Swim and Cowboy Bebop has been on Adult Swim since the block first launched in 2001. I can understand getting the licenses to old shows may be pricey or for the case of Dragon Ball Z Kai, I think Funimation still has it running on CW's Saturday morning block and Nicktoons Network just stopped airing it a few months ago, so maybe Funi can't for contract reasons? I could be way wrong on that.

I think as long the shows have new episodes on Toonami (FMA Brotherhood, Bleach, Durarara, etc.) then they can remain on Toonami but if it's just reruns of shows that have aired numerously on AS, then give them a break (looking at you Cowboy Bebop.) Rondo is pretty much right that this block is just Adult Swim Action with "Toonami" skin. You know what though? That's okay by me. Adult Swim hasn't put any effort into making their Saturday block stand out in ages, so if calling it Toonami is what they have to do, then go for it.

I know many may disagree, but I wish they'd bump Toonami up at least an hour (again, I know they won't because Boondocks/Family Guy bring in ratings) and air shows like Megas, Justice League, and Samurai Jack. Heck shows that would be Toonami bound if it were still a kids block like Symbiotic Titan, Generator Rex, etc. would be cool too.

Lol I read that xD. SAC 2nd GIG is awesome and so is Bebop, but idk if this has been mentioned earlier I haven't read this this thread except for skimming some posts just now but I remember hearing from a friend that read to me Toonami aka adult swim doesn't have the money or funding currently to get new anime and they can't play some of the classics since they are owned and licensed by other companies now so they're filling up the other blocks with anime they've already been playing like Bebop and SAC. But classics aside they do need some new stuff. I think they should start doing more anime movies like they did in the past. I remember they played Metroplois and I think Black Jack too and that was awesome. And it gives them an excuse to play more Ghost in the Shell... They have more
Movies to choose from. :3

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 29 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#55 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I guess much of my disdain, as small as it may wind up being, is that there really isn't anything new to the whole block aside from the new licenses, which happens already, and the wrapper for the shows.

Showing classics, any one of them, outside of the regular rotation they have had for the past couple of years, would be something different, something a bit more refreshing, and strongly reinforces the nostalgic feel around Toonami. Sticking with the usual suspects GITS & CB, left me a bit disappointed. How about shutting down CB until around the time of the movie and then ramp it back up? Then again, contracts may force their hands in this..who knows. We know the license issue so I'll not repeat it again.

As for extending the block, honestly..I'd love it as is should expand the lineup possibilities greatly. However, ratings are king and unless an *action* show can pull those kinds of numbers, it isn't likely to change.

Maybe if [AS] didn't do so many of those short lived, craptacular, in-house shows they'd have money for licensing.

This post has been edited by rondo: 29 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

#56 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 29 May 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Lol I read that xD. SAC 2nd GIG is awesome and so is Bebop, but idk if this has been mentioned earlier I haven't read this this thread except for skimming some posts just now but I remember hearing from a friend that read to me Toonami aka adult swim doesn't have the money or funding currently to get new anime and they can't play some of the classics since they are owned and licensed by other companies now so they're filling up the other blocks with anime they've already been playing like Bebop and SAC. But classics aside they do need some new stuff. I think they should start doing more anime movies like they did in the past. I remember they played Metroplois and I think Black Jack too and that was awesome. And it gives them an excuse to play more Ghost in the Shell... They have more
Movies to choose from. :3

Yes it is true. Toonami doesn't have the budget because Adult Swim is too busy greenlighting twenty s***ty live action shows and can't afford to license new anime. In all fairness though as much as I and all of us here love anime, the truth is most anime shows aside from your DBZ's, Gundams, Cowboy Bebops, etc. don't get very good ratings. When Adult Swim moved to weeknights (Sunday-Thursday, IMO they're prime) they had a good mix of comedy and action shows, I loved it! But as soon as they put Aqua Teen Hunger Force reruns in place of one anime show, the ratings got much higher and then little by little they aired more of their comedy originals and doubling up on the Family Guy/American Dad/Futurama reruns (BTW, King of the Hill never got that great of ratings on Adult Swim, why give that two airings? Sorry I'm biased and hate that show.)

Before I go off topic, yes, movies would be welcomed. Maybe once a month, they have the first hour or hour and a half be a Toonami movie then the rest can be their current Toonami. If they're limited on getting new shows, maybe they could cycle out Bebop/Big O/GITS/FLCL/other licensed shows each week. Like I said, I love Bebop, but it's been on AS for 11 years now! LOL.

I still heavily encourage old CN action shows and some of the current ones adults would like (Symbiotic Titan is pretty bad arse from what I've seen)... XD

View Postrondo, on 29 May 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

I guess much of my disdain, as small as it may wind up being, is that there really isn't anything new to the whole block aside from the new licenses, which happens already, and the wrapper for the shows.

Showing classics, any one of them, outside of the regular rotation they have had for the past couple of years, would be something different, something a bit more refreshing, and strongly reinforces the nostalgic feel around Toonami. Sticking with the usual suspects GITS & CB, left me a bit disappointed. How about shutting down CB until around the time of the movie and then ramp it back up? Then again, contracts may force their hands in this..who knows. We know the license issue so I'll not repeat it again.

As for extending the block, honestly..I'd love it as is should expand the lineup possibilities greatly. However, ratings are king and unless an *action* show can pull those kinds of numbers, it isn't likely to change.

Maybe if [AS] didn't do so many of those short lived, craptacular, in-house shows they'd have money for licensing.

Yeah I figured extending the block is out of the question. Going a little off topic, I think Adult Swim going to 8 PM Central was a waste of an hour, they did it just to double up on King of the Hill and the other Fox shows? I honestly thought they either acquired The Simpsons or planning on premiering something big in prime time. Let CN have that hour back!

Anyway, back on topic. Yeah Adult Swim really should stop with a lot of those crappy in-house shows. I know some of them do better in ratings than anime, but apparently many of them don't do well enough to last a season. My suggestion: see how shows like Family Guy, THE BOONDOCKS, etc. get great ratings. Maybe reduce the number of mediocre/unfunny live action and half-arsed animated shows and stick to a few shows with better budgets and get better ratings and eventually more money? Also, I'm still amazed that Adult Swim has been around for over 10 years now and besides Big O Season 2 (co-produced by Bandai and Cartoon Network Japan) they haven't made or picked up one original action series. I figured they would have tried it once. I guess Delocated and Eagleheart were more appealing...

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#57 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Agreed that Bebop and GitS were disappointing. Personally, I never got into either of those shows since I'm not huge on sci-fi/futuristic stuff, so seeing them AGAIN when they've been on AS FOREVER was a bit of a letdown. But I'll take those over Delocated or Metalopolis or Tim and Eric or whatever other crappy shows AS has nowadays that I don't watch.

I was also disappointed that it started at midnight. Like, really? I'm tired by then! xD Last week I just watched Deadman and Casshern and went to bed. At least start it at like 10 or something. I'd love for Saturday nights to become an entire Toonami block, but that won't happen when there are big money grabbers like Family Guy.

I'd love to see them play at least one classic though. Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Inuyasha...Speed Racer? xD Give us something to work with here AS!

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 30 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

Possible ACen 2015 Plans

#58 User is offline   Jang Hee Joon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5162

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Deadman Wonderland's starting to get fun to watch now. That slide at the end was epic lulz. So was that massive censor beep while they were in the locker room. It still hasn't changed my view on the manga being more enjoyable, but to each their own. Speaking of which, I'm surprised it's still being scanlated. Guess there's a sh!t ton to catch up on, now.

Also, Casshern Sins definitely took on a unique turn, too. I didn't expect him to just PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH them all. Now I'm craving for more. Guess I've got another series to look for to buy at the convention next year.

#59 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

It has been announced that Samurai 7 will be replacing Deadman Wonderland once DW's run is up.

Personally, I'd rather have Samurai Champloo return to the lineup for a run.

#60 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

View Postrondo, on 03 August 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

It has been announced that Samurai 7 will be replacing Deadman Wonderland once DW's run is up.

Personally, I'd rather have Samurai Champloo return to the lineup for a run.

I agree.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users