• You cannot reply to this topic

Dyeing Jeans a Different Color?

#1 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have been looking for a pair of burgundy, or maybe even dark red jean shorts, and can't seem to find any in stores. I have seen some online, but they are usually not the right size :/ I have searched around, and read people mention something about dyeing clothing. I have never dyed anything before, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain brand of dye, or and could give some additional tips? Also my base would probably be a pair of light blue jean shorts, and was wondering if that would have an effect on the color outcome if I bought some burgundy colored dye? Don't want to end up with the wrong color coming out :/

#2 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

iDye & iDye Polyester is sold at Joann's and works with natural and synthetic fibers pretty well, but it WILL stain the daylights out of anything it touches. Get a shade darker than you intend to get, because it will have to be washed and rinsed out REALLY well, otherwise, you'll have a burgundy butt when you wear it.

#3 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

You may also want to try buying white jean fabric instead of blue if possible, just to avoid it going more purple than you like.

#4 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'll have to check out Joanns again. I looked very quick yesterday, and only saw one brand of dye, but not the right colors. I want to try and find some white jean shorts, but that might be hard too. I have never dyed anything before, so hopefully it won't be too bad :/

#5 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

If you try to dye blue jeans red, you will end up with purple. If you want dark red jeans, you should try to find the lightest color of jeans/denim you can to start with. Luckily, most denim is 100% cotton (or 90-something-percent cotton with a touch of spandex or lycra) so regular RIT products should work on it. Double check the fabric content of your jeans/denim before you start dying though.

iDye polyester is specifically designed for working with synthetic fibers and has a more limited range of colors than RIT. You shouldn't need to use it unless your fabric is made up of a significant portion (over about 30% or so) of synthetic material (nylon, rayon (but not viscose rayon), polyester, etc). For natural fibers RIT (or other common natural fiber dye brands, I just can't think of any other names at the moment) should be fine. The advantage of RIT is that it makes a "color remover" that is really effective on natural fibers. The remover won't turn a deep midnight blue into a pristine white, but it will lighten colors dramatically, and might be a good option if you can't find any white or light jeans/denim to start with.

#6 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info Tokoz. I have done some research, and I think sites tend to recommend either Rit or Procion MX Dye. Although I know very little about either of them. I also did find this little Yahoo answer guide thing that I need to look at more http://answers.yahoo...5175458AAx8U01.

Also I did find a pair of burgandy jean shorts on ebay, but they were about $60 shipped, and I don't think I want to spend that much unless I could try it on in person first :/

#7 User is offline   Izuhara_Torozu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61968

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Bleach works really good on demin to turn it white.

For a pair of Luffy shorts I frayed the ends of some cutoff jeans and dipped them in bleach to turn them white. Worked like a charm.

Bleach, then dye, and you should be set!
Whether a tree lives to see the end of centuries
Or a random hand picks in instantly
Life is art, a miracle for all to believe
I must tell you that you lived beautifully

#8 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostIzuhara_Torozu, on 12 May 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Bleach works really good on demin to turn it white.

For a pair of Luffy shorts I frayed the ends of some cutoff jeans and dipped them in bleach to turn them white. Worked like a charm.

Bleach, then dye, and you should be set!

Yes! bleach is really good for that! Just be careful to mix it according to directions, and rinse thoroughly... I've eaten holes through the fabric I wanted to whiten with bleach. >_>; Denim can probably handle it though, it's tough.

#9 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Looks like I will most likely bleach some light blue jeans and then dye it. I'm a little afraid of the bleach eating through the jeans though :/

#10 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

View Postbewd7879, on 13 May 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I'm a little afraid of the bleach eating through the jeans though :/

Denim's pretty tough fabric. Just start with a small amount of bleach in water and add more slowly if it isn't doing what you want. And don't let the undiluted bleach touch your fabric for long. That's what got me -- I left a bottle on its side and had fabric next to it. When I went to move the fabric later, I discovered the bottle had leaked. It was my own darn fault for being a slob, but still... it does no harm to remember that bleach is a powerful chemical, despite its ubiquity in the household.

#11 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Any luck with the experiment yet?

#12 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Lol, actually not starting it yet, but I have looked around. I'm thinking of using khaki type shorts and using Rit wine colored dye. If that turns out good I may use jeans later

#13 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4165d57176

if you are a dude...well here

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d2c6adf9

:D

otherwise. bleach shorts then dye them

or buy white shorts then dye them.