Anime Central Forums: Is there a sticky we could have that is "buyer/roommate beware?" - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is there a sticky we could have that is "buyer/roommate beware?" Mods please look at this.

#31 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostSTVO, on 15 May 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I'm not perfect though, even a guy who I consider a close friend caused us both to lose some money in a hotel scenario. He knew if he didn't make things right to an extent it might have ended a friendship (as dumb as it may sound, I likely would have remained friends with him following but I would have needed a long time away from him, lol.)

I've had this happen. Twice. Same friend. -_- Needless to say, didn't trust her a third time. (Though the first time our plans weren't very solid so I didn't blame her) Asked her if she wanted to stay with me and someone else that she also knew, she said yes, and I told her she needed to come since that meant I wouldn't look for another roommate. And not even two weeks away from the con guess who calls and says she's rooming with her dad and sister instead? -_- I couldn't charge the other person half the hotel since it wouldn't be fair to them. Tried to collect the other third from the person who bailed but her dad was in charge of her money and said no. Lesson learned. If they're your friends, get your money up front.
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 30%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Moved to 2016: Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#32 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 15 May 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

I've had this happen. Twice. Same friend. -_- Needless to say, didn't trust her a third time. (Though the first time our plans weren't very solid so I didn't blame her) Asked her if she wanted to stay with me and someone else that she also knew, she said yes, and I told her she needed to come since that meant I wouldn't look for another roommate. And not even two weeks away from the con guess who calls and says she's rooming with her dad and sister instead? -_- I couldn't charge the other person half the hotel since it wouldn't be fair to them. Tried to collect the other third from the person who bailed but her dad was in charge of her money and said no. Lesson learned. If they're your friends, get your money up front.

Wow I wouldn't be friends with this person anymore. Why didn't they decide to room up with their dad and sister in the first place? I hate when people waste my time like this.

I actually roomed up a few times at Acen and, sadly, I trusted people to show up or went "ok," when family situations came up and they couldn't come, so I would have to pay their share. One year it was just me and one girl and since I didn't want to charge her half of the room instead of 100 that I promised.

EDIT: The main reason why I don't room up with other people (unless I'm the main person on the room,) is because I had crazy roommates in the past and their whole attitude is "I paid for most of it so I get the 100% say so."

I am now more cautious due to what happened when I gave someone my room.

Another method could be going into rewards programs so you can get free nights; I'm doing this currently.

Interesting note: What happens if you get 50% or what may have you for the room cost and the person doesn't show up and want their money back? Like do you do a deposit kind of thing (150 dollars for all four nights with a 50 dollar no return,) or something?

I'm thinking about doing in 2013 a "Pay up front if you want the room on Paypal, and you only get back 50% if you cancel at the last minute," kind of thing, but I want to be fair, so what's the best method of doing this so you won't be left out/jipped?

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 15 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#33 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostLordCanti, on 12 May 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

canti fails to see how is funny *shakes fist in air* :<

I know why it's funny.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#34 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Official Answer: No, unfortuantely there would be too much he said/she said/hearsay and I can't let such things go down on the forums. Should you feel the need to warn someone about someone else you will need to contact the person privately.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#35 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 21 May 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

Official Answer: No, unfortuantely there would be too much he said/she said/hearsay and I can't let such things go down on the forums. Should you feel the need to warn someone about someone else you will need to contact the person privately.

What about the other thing? The Bootlegs?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users