Anime Central Forums: Is there a sticky we could have that is "buyer/roommate beware?" - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is there a sticky we could have that is "buyer/roommate beware?" Mods please look at this.

#1 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I had no idea where to put this so I decided to just place this in chit chat.

I couldn't go to Acen 2012 due to health issues so I gave my room as well as my roommates (in a sense,) to someone else to take over.

Now I just receive word that my roommate had issues with said person who took over my hotel room; not only did she not pay for the room, but she also scammed my roommates in a sense. Because of this, one of the roommates lost their apartment. I'm trying to gather more information on this because I just checked my inbox and they emailed me like...today.

Is there anyway for Acen forums to have like a sticky of people who you shouldn't be roommates with or something about a sticky of usernames that you should watch out in general; due to nasty behavior/what may have you?

Also could we have a sticky on how to spot bootlegs as well in the dealer room? It seems to be that this is also a major issue.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#2 User is offline   RiddlerFotografia 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62386

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I kind of like this idea, especially if they have been known/reported to get too drunk for their own good (especially during the day), not pay up their part, or just being too rude/crazy that makes it so their roommates can barely sleep without keeping one eye open.

A sticky with the usernames probably might not be the best idea though, because they could make a new account... and I think you can even change your screen name on here. It should be a list kept with the mods, and always updated every month. Generally the mods that keep up with the forums on a regular basis, especially closer to the convention when people have to give up rooms or ask for new roommates. I don't know if ALL of them do or not, but I have seen a lot post here which I think is pretty cool. They should be able to check the topics and look out for certain usernames of people posting that people shouldn't room with.

This post has been edited by RiddlerFotografia: 11 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

/* ACen 2014 Cosplays */
    Friday
  • T.K. {Digimon Season 2}

Unable to attend. Will have Digimon cosplay for Daishocon.

#3 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

where in theory that sounds like a good idea i could see such a system getting abused with one sided stories. =/
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostLordCanti, on 11 May 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

where in theory that sounds like a good idea i could see such a system getting abused with one sided stories. =/

Well that's the thing; we need a mod or someone who isn't bias to post the people in question and finalize it.

Example: Say someone scammed a person out of a whole hotel room fee and then didn't go to Acen at all. Let's say said person vanished off the face of the earth and came back a year later and did it again, assuming that everyone forgotten about it. Now a person like this needs to be brought to light or else they are going to keep on doing it and "getting free rides.

Now the sticky in question would have said person, the people who's stories match up, as well as the mod approving it. They would have to really use their power in this matter. If usernames can not be used then put examples of "forms of writing, emails etc." a lot of people make new usernames on this site but they normally do not change their email or the email that they signed up with.

For the bootlegs, same. There would be a sticky that shows what are real figmas vs. bootlegs and make buyers beware, so that if they spot one in the dealer room they can report it to said mod.

The issue is I have no idea how this will be put to the people outside of the forums.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   Yandere Emi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61049

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I can write up a bootleg guide for figures in general (figma, nendoroid, nendo petit, one coin, etc), but that is something that REALLY varies from figure to figure and I wouldn't want to be held accountable for someone buying something that is not legit. :/ If you're going to spend the money, do your research peeps! (or just preorder everything like me lol~)
My Cosplay Blog (with Cellomanlove)

ACen 2014: Shindou Ai (Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary - Idol ver.), Irisviel von Einzbern (Fate/zero - coat version), Jakuzure Nonon (Kill la Kill)

ACen 2013: Hibari (Double H) & Caster/Extra
ACen 2012 : Kaname Madoka & Irisviel von Einzbern

#6 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

While I am a fan of "buyer beware" threads, I really can see this going bad fast, especially once people ask for names.
There are two sides to a story and truth is somewhere inbetween.

:\
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#7 User is offline   magicalgamer 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59317

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Caveat emptor.

The reservation holder accepts the risks that people will not pay up in full. The way around this is the reservation holder asks for payment in full in exchange for room key and this is done at the check-in desk. Some hotels will do 3 or 4 separate bills if you ask politely.

The roommates accept the risks that the reservation holder may attempt to break fire code by having to many occupants in the room or not show up at all. The risk here is you could be out your part of the room cost.

All parties accept the risk that someone in the group may over-party and cause the hotel to kick everyone out of the room.

The way around all this is to room with people you know or get a room on your own. You are not forced to room with someone.

All this said, the room I was in this year required payment in exchange for room key which worked for us. We complied with fire code regulations, and had a great time.

#8 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Also, verifying that said person doesn't reappear under a different user name, IPs match up, etc. It's a LOT more work than you'd realize, because slander laws can come into play. Say someone stole someone else's account/ID and tried to use it under their name instead?

Gotta go with caveat emptor on this one too.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#9 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I would be down with the buyer beware but I as well would be scared about the roommate beware thing since it can get out of hand. I do love the dealer thing though. Maybe also saying who you should tell if you see a bootleg and how to approach the seller perhaps if you suspect something is bootlegged etc too might help as well. Like a guide like what some have said already. ^_^
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#10 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

While I'm fine with the idea, yeah I can see it getting out of hand. Maybe there can be something for example where you or said person you gave room to goes on here and says "Person B gave me trouble because (insert reasons)". Then if that person can see it (or you can invite them to give their side of the story) then let other people decide? It would be a little more fair, but I don't know.

Also with all respect to you kind people who like random roommates, that's why I don't do it. I hear too many negative stories of random roommates and I only tend to room with people who I know closely (family and friends) or if a family member or friend recommends a person they're really close with, then maybe I'll go in on it. Other than that, it's really risky in my personal opinion. I'm not saying that will happen with everyone, but that's just me. DTA = Don't Trust Anybody. :thumbup:

Even so, I can share stories of friends I've had over a year or much much longer where even they didn't turn out to be the roommates I was hoping for. This year I was with good roommates but there was at least one situation where my head turned into a volcano, lol. All is forgiven on my end though. :)
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#11 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostSTVO, on 11 May 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

While I'm fine with the idea, yeah I can see it getting out of hand. Maybe there can be something for example where you or said person you gave room to goes on here and says "Person B gave me trouble because (insert reasons)". Then if that person can see it (or you can invite them to give their side of the story) then let other people decide? It would be a little more fair, but I don't know.

Also with all respect to you kind people who like random roommates, that's why I don't do it. I hear too many negative stories of random roommates and I only tend to room with people who I know closely (family and friends) or if a family member or friend recommends a person they're really close with, then maybe I'll go in on it. Other than that, it's really risky in my personal opinion. I'm not saying that will happen with everyone, but that's just me. DTA = Don't Trust Anybody. :thumbup:

Even so, I can share stories of friends I've had over a year or much much longer where even they didn't turn out to be the roommates I was hoping for. This year I was with good roommates but there was at least one situation where my head turned into a volcano, lol. All is forgiven on my end though. :)

This. Thats why im VERY strict who i room with. I don't trust people easily, and especially when it deals with money.

Just a quick simple thing tho. People can always write a contract and have all the parties sign. Sounds lame to do for acen, but you gotta cover yourself. They actually had an acen case on a tv court show. It was talked about on here. Lol Stuff in writing...is always good to have.

But anywho, this thread, as many others have said, can turn bad...very soon. (Canti would be the first to say it tho. Lol rather funny. Lol) while it is good intentioned, this can become slander topic real fast, and then there are more problems. common sense and contracts go a long way if you don't mind random folk. (or collect money before hand. if you employ random folk, gotta do SOMETHING to protect yourself.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#12 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I would be all for this, but.... Do keep in mind that I'm NOT a moderator on these forums "officially", my Administrator position is used almost solely for maintenance reasons. My opinion in this regard should be counted as an attendee at best.

* I agree with the thread idea, but perhaps we should just make a general announcement, something along the lines of "Please beware of what roommates you choose".
* I don't believe the Anime Central forums should crucify its users by listing them in a thread for doing a bad thing. While it may turn out to be a good idea, you could destroy a reputation fast, no matter how bad that person may be or what bad thing they did. this could lead to a myriad of other issues that would arise: We could be construed as slander, other users could harass this other user for what they did, just to name a few things.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#13 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostJguy, on 12 May 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

I would be all for this, but.... Do keep in mind that I'm NOT a moderator on these forums "officially", my Administrator position is used almost solely for maintenance reasons. My opinion in this regard should be counted as an attendee at best.

* I agree with the thread idea, but perhaps we should just make a general announcement, something along the lines of "Please beware of what roommates you choose".

This is actually good!

I read the whole thread and I do agree with all of you with the he said she said mess. The issue is trying to find some kind of middle ground in terms of the roommate situation. Example: Lets say you end up with roommates, you call or skype and work everything out and they don't pay right at the day of Acen or the day before. So now not only is there a scene (probably in the lobby with you arguing,) but you are out of the room cost and you have to pay it up front. Let's say everyone who agreed with you does this. Now instead of paying like 400 dollars for a room you have to pay a good 600 dollars.

Also it's really hard to ask for money weeks before Acen when you live in like, different states. Not everyone is from chicago. The only countermeasure is: You either have to bite the bullet and pay for the whole thing yourself, know friends (mind you everyone doesn't and they are just as bad,) or just risk it.

I personally have never been scammed and I can image nobody has either but it doesn't mean that it won't in the future.

Question is: How can we fix this? I gave the suggestion about the thread but it was put down so what else can we, on the forums, really do about this to prevent it from happening or happening again in the future? I'm all for action rather than complaining!

So like a guideline or something would be nice for the non veterans of Acen. I'm trying to work with you people! I want to cover everyone's behinds.

@Xeno: Your idea was good with the contract and the best one so far.

Also I have links for the Bootlegs if you need them, pictures, etc.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 12 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#14 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Paypal, get a deposit/money up front. Paypal has a card you can get that is linked to your account and you can spend directly out of it. That way, if someone doesn't pay by the week of the convention, you know you need to find someone and fast. Also, buyer protection ie: i paid for my room, but then no one let me in, or something.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#15 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostXenoBlade, on 12 May 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

But anywho, this thread, as many others have said, can turn bad...very soon. (Canti would be the first to say it tho. Lol rather funny. Lol) while it is good intentioned, this can become slander topic real fast, and then there are more problems. common sense and contracts go a long way if you don't mind random folk. (or collect money before hand. if you employ random folk, gotta do SOMETHING to protect yourself.

canti fails to see how is funny *shakes fist in air* :<
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#16 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

There's not really excuse for not being able to send the money in advance. Even if you don't have a Paypal account (Very reliable, in my experience,) or a parent with a checking account, all you have to do is take the cash to any grocery store, convenience store, currency exchange or Post Office and get a Money Order. They're usually a dollar or less, and more secure than checks, because if it gets lost or stolen in the mail, you get your money back (SAVE YOUR RECEIPT,) and 100% secure for the recipient since it's been paid for in advance. They can cash it right away or deposit it without having to wait for it to clear.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#17 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Post Office Money Orders are the best, because you can cash them anywhere- bank, grocery store, even a Post Office. AND they are the only ones that are actually 100% refundable if they don't make it there (you have to save your receipt, but small price to pay). This comes from spending 14+ years on eBay and selling on many various sites. Many grocery store ones will not have the flexibility of a Post Office one.

ACen 2011 Cosplay:

#18 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostWingy Baby, on 11 May 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

While I am a fan of "buyer beware" threads, I really can see this going bad fast, especially once people ask for names.
There are two sides to a story and truth is somewhere inbetween.

:\

If you have a police report filed, that would generally be consider solid evidence of a problem, though, no? That, I imagine, would be something worth noting and warning over.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#19 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postmyrla, on 12 May 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Post Office Money Orders are the best, because you can cash them anywhere- bank, grocery store, even a Post Office. AND they are the only ones that are actually 100% refundable if they don't make it there (you have to save your receipt, but small price to pay). This comes from spending 14+ years on eBay and selling on many various sites. Many grocery store ones will not have the flexibility of a Post Office one.

Yes, Post office money orders are the best. Do what she says. Lol there really is no excuse if you get screwed at acen.(room wise) there are a lot of ways to cover yourself.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#20 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 12 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

If you have a police report filed, that would generally be consider solid evidence of a problem, though, no? That, I imagine, would be something worth noting and warning over.

Not really a Police report just means that you complained to the police, not that the complaint isn't a load of crap.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#21 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postjsieczkar, on 12 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Not really a Police report just means that you complained to the police, not that the complaint isn't a load of crap.

Correct!
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#22 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Like others have said, my opinion is if you don't pay the money in advance (especially if you are a complete stranger!) then not only would I say no to you staying in my room, I'd say OH HELL NO!!! There's checks, PayPal, money orders, Western Union, etc. If you're feeling generous, maybe tell them "Okay in the coming X amount of months, you can pay me $30/month until the con. If you miss one payment, I'll give you your
Money back and you'll have to find a new room."

Honestly, unless it is friends or family (and even sometimes you have to lay it down to them) you should not go "that easy" on people making payments for a room, especially if they're out of state or don't live near you. It may sound a little harsh but honestly, it's really not fair for you have to pay someone else's share or make another person pay for that person.

Fuj, I wish you all the luck in getting your situation resolved. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their lives, but a suggestion to those who may consider random roommates, try to get a hotel months in advance (like when it opens.) That way if you try to recruit random roommates early, you can get to know them early on and get a feel of whether they're trustworthy or not.

For me, I only recruit people I've known for a few months only. :P
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#23 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

View Postjsieczkar, on 12 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Fair enough, though I would imagine, however, any police reports followed up with court action/small claims court action would be notable. (Especially considering going to such extremes over a falsified/non-existant claim would not only be stupid, but would land you in a ton of legal trouble at that. Falsified police reports and lying under oath/in court are both crimes themselves.) Just a thought/note, as I am dealing with one of these situations myself at the moment and have little hope for getting back what is now gone.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#24 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 14 May 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Fair enough, though I would imagine, however, any police reports followed up with court action/small claims court action would be notable. (Especially considering going to such extremes over a falsified/non-existant claim would not only be stupid, but would land you in a ton of legal trouble at that. Falsified police reports and lying under oath/in court are both crimes themselves.) Just a thought/note, as I am dealing with one of these situations myself at the moment and have little hope for getting back what is now gone.

good luck for your case, but it's better to know the truth of it then having lofty expectations. Your hope is to go to small claims and hope the judge finds your side right.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#25 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

STVO said:

Fuj, I wish you all the luck in getting your situation resolved. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their lives, but a suggestion to those who may consider random roommates, try to get a hotel months in advance (like when it opens.) That way if you try to recruit random roommates early, you can get to know them early on and get a feel of whether they're trustworthy or not.

For me, I only recruit people I've known for a few months only. :P

Thanks; I'll let the person know about this. ^.^

Is there anyway we can get a guide like in the roommate zone, such as a sticky, with information regarding your ideas? Like the Paypal, etc. since everyone who signs up only for roommates don't know about this. I didn't know about it myself when I first joined Acen forums! It might be a better idea than the roommate beward?

Since that's mostly resolved I rather talk about the bootlegs!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#26 User is online   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

The way I usually do it is, you give me one nights deposit upfront, the second by x date and the rest by x date, which is always by the time the hotel takes money out of my account a month before.. If you don't pay by those dates, I find another roomie then give your money back. I was a bit lax with this rule with someone, and it came back and haunted me. I tell people upfront what I am expecting and requiring out of roomates, though next year, there will be a "everyone, including and esspecially males, must wear pajama pants to bed. Underware is not an acceptable form of sleepwear when other people are expected to sleep in the same bed/room as you." There was a bit of a man panties thing going on in my room this year... not again. <_< Also a, just because there are girls rooming with you, doesn't mean we want to hook up with you statement. *sigh*

On the topic of payment, I always request postal service money orders.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#27 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 14 May 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

The way I usually do it is, you give me one nights deposit upfront, the second by x date and the rest by x date, which is always by the time the hotel takes money out of my account a month before.. If you don't pay by those dates, I find another roomie then give your money back. I was a bit lax with this rule with someone, and it came back and haunted me. I tell people upfront what I am expecting and requiring out of roomates, though next year, there will be a "everyone, including and esspecially males, must wear pajama pants to bed. Underware is not an acceptable form of sleepwear when other people are expected to sleep in the same bed/room as you." There was a bit of a man panties thing going on in my room this year... not again. <_< Also a, just because there are girls rooming with you, doesn't mean we want to hook up with you statement. *sigh*

On the topic of payment, I always request postal service money orders.

Bwahahaha!
This is why I am so grateful my staff housing had only one girl who had the same idea as me - "I will get dressed in private in the bathroom, I will wear pajamas, I am not having weird people in here and I am going to bed at 2."

It was beautiful.
- Mae West

#28 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Just a quick note to those saying people should pay ahead of time...what if the room holder doesn't show up? Then you're left sitting in the hotel trying to figure out what the heck you're going to do, and you're out X amount of money. (sure, you can sue for it later, but that won't go through instantly) Just saying, it's not only the extra people rooming with you that can't be trusted. I might agree with some kind of a down payment though. (Say...15% of their total bill?) That way if they're a no-show, the person who holds the room has some money to fall back on (down payment non-refundable unless told they wouldn't be able to attend x amount of time before con) and if the person holding the room doesn't show, the other attendee will only be out a small amount of money rather than a larger sum.

I do completely agree with the idea of giving a room key in exchange for money though. Honestly, I don't see why people would wait until the end of Acen to get that...no money up front, no room key, makes sense to me.
ACen 2015 Plans
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 30%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Moved to 2016: Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#29 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Just a quick note to those saying people should pay ahead of time...what if the room holder doesn't show up?

Paypal -> file complaint immediately. Takes a few days.

But then again, I'm the kind of person that will not stay with anyone she doesn't know, and prefers to make all the reservations herself.

ACen 2011 Cosplay:

#30 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 15 May 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Just a quick note to those saying people should pay ahead of time...what if the room holder doesn't show up? Then you're left sitting in the hotel trying to figure out what the heck you're going to do, and you're out X amount of money. (sure, you can sue for it later, but that won't go through instantly) Just saying, it's not only the extra people rooming with you that can't be trusted. I might agree with some kind of a down payment though. (Say...15% of their total bill?) That way if they're a no-show, the person who holds the room has some money to fall back on (down payment non-refundable unless told they wouldn't be able to attend x amount of time before con) and if the person holding the room doesn't show, the other attendee will only be out a small amount of money rather than a larger sum.I do completely agree with the idea of giving a room key in exchange for money though. Honestly, I don't see why people would wait until the end of Acen to get that...no money up front, no room key, makes sense to me.

Dang, you're making my philosophy (well a stolen philosophy from someone else) of DTA (Don't Trust Anybody) hold more true to word. :D

I guess if you're going to try the random roommate thing, then perhaps 3-4 payments in 3-4 months would be the best scenario. That way the room holder doesn't get screwed if he is being an honest person and trying to make sure people don't go in the room and screw that person over. All while in your court if you trust Madam Cleo or whoever the scammer turns out to be on the other end you only get ripped off a portion and not a full amount. Like Xeno said, if it's going to be a large sum of money, get a contract (though when I took contract law in college, the only time a contract is really required for services and such I believe is at $500.) Also like myrla said, try doing payments via Pal Pal or maybe even check because giving cash will be a lot harder to trace while PayPal you can file a complaint.

View Postmyrla, on 15 May 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Just a quick note to those saying people should pay ahead of time...what if the room holder doesn't show up? Paypal -> file complaint immediately. Takes a few days.But then again, I'm the kind of person that will not stay with anyone she doesn't know, and prefers to make all the reservations herself.

That's how I am too! Unless its a pretty good friend/family member, I don't like to go in on people's rooms I don't trust or for that matter have people I don't know for at least a few months (in person, not just online, lol) or more before I get buddy buddy and have them stay with me. Again, I don't mean to come off as a mean guy but if there's one thing my parents taught me well on, it's handling money in situations like this. I'm not perfect though, even a guy who I consider a close friend caused us both to lose some money in a hotel scenario. He knew if he didn't make things right to an extent it might have ended a friendship (as dumb as it may sound, I likely would have remained friends with him following but I would have needed a long time away from him, lol.) Anyway, when I was out a room at the Hyatt, the only person I trusted who was staying at Hyatt had a room with 10-12 people already (which hurt her in the end) so I was like "Okay, I'm getting my own place" because every other person I asked to be roomies with either couldn't afford the place, only wanted to do "I'll stay this night and you can try getting another friend to stay others." Sorry, doesn't work that way, lol.

Anyway I'm babbling, just be careful with these random roommate situations. Honestly while buying a video game or movie on eBay or Craig's List can be risky too, I'd trust that anyday over recruiting random roommates on the web.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users