Anime Central Forums: Question: Do you need/want congoers as oncall ems? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question: Do you need/want congoers as oncall ems? Saving lives in cosplay style!

#1 User is offline   Angel's Kiss Cosplay 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62378

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

So this year at Acen, we had the evacuation, and more than one medical emergency. I tried to offer help whenever possible, as I am a first responder at home, but I guess a costume can be misleading. My question is do you guys have a medical/emergency response team on staff? Do you take volunteers for it? I would volunteer either way, but incase others are interested, are there perks?

#2 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostAngel, on 06 May 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

My question is do you guys have a medical/emergency response team on staff? Do you take volunteers for it? I would volunteer either way, but incase others are interested, are there perks?

Yes, there is a medical/emergency response team on staff called EMRT that includes first aid providers and EMTs.

I'm not familiar with the application process to join EMRT, but the application to join staff in general for 2013 has been posted. Departments that have other requirements above and beyond the basics will post those details as they become available.

And yes, there are perks for staff and volunteers in general. :)
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#3 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostAngel, on 06 May 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

So this year at Acen, we had the evacuation, and more than one medical emergency. I tried to offer help whenever possible, as I am a first responder at home, but I guess a costume can be misleading. My question is do you guys have a medical/emergency response team on staff? Do you take volunteers for it? I would volunteer either way, but incase others are interested, are there perks?

Angel's Kiss Cosplay, Yes as Rori mentioned we do have a department with trained EMTs on site. We staff the convention 24 hours a day with the EMTs running 12 hour shifts. In order to be on EMRT you need to meet the proper licensing requirements or certifications.

As a Medic you need to have a valid ILLINOIS EMT-B license or better. Illinois does offer reciprocal licensing as long as you meet their requirements. Also a valid CPR for Healthcare Providers card, which can be renewed via myself during our training/orientation day usually a month or 2 before con.
As a First Aid provider you need a valid First Aid card and CPR Card (we prefer the HCP CPR card). Both of which again can be obtained through myself as I am a AHA BLS Instructor.
As a dispatcher, we request that you have both the first aid AND CPR card as you may in an absolute need be required to provide aid.

Being on staff has the usual staff perks as stated elsewhere within the Volunteer With ACen forum section. Yes we had multiple medical emergency calls, some at the same time. Our staff is in 2 divisions, a hotel division manned day and night and the convention center division where I am supervisor for which is manned from when the hall opens until the last staff member is out.

Also, our entire staff, not only the medical staff, but the entire ACen staff is volunteer based. Staff members you can probably say are volunteers who signed up and dedicated time precon and during con, while there is a volunteers department to be a congoer and help out for a couple hours while on con. Staff members are given a schedule to work by. EMRT is a very specialized department we probably wouldn't be using any at-con volunteers. I can say probably all of us EMRT, especially the EMT/Medics all take vacation time to provide the medical care and assistance for the congoers and staff members.

If you have questions on here feel free to PM me or if you can email me at emrt.medic6@gmail.com.
You can also email our department head, Steve, at emrt-departmenthead@acen.org for additional details.

-Dave aka Medic 6 / EMRT ConCenter Supervisor

edited to give detail on volunteer status
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#4 User is offline   Angel's Kiss Cosplay 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62378

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. :) I'm based in WI, so I'll have to look into the reciprocal licensing. Much appreciated!

You guys did an amazing job by the way. :)

#5 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

As per Illinois Department of Public Health website for EMS

http://www.idph.state.il.us/ems/

You can get your Reciprocal License Application here

http://www.idph.stat...procity_App.pdf
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#6 User is offline   emtsteve 

• EMRT Department Head
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 5515

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hello and thank you for your interest in our department. As Dave stated above those are our qualifications. I will be opening up the EMRT application and placing a link on the forums on September 1st. If you have any questions feel free to PM Dave or myself and we will gladly answer them for you.

Steve
EMRT DH
Steve "Medic 1"
EMRT - DH

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users