Anime Central Forums: What other AAs are on your schedule? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What other AAs are on your schedule? Now that ACEN is over, anyone going elsewhere?

#1 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have been bitten by the con bug.

ACEN was my first convention and now I'm afraid I'm looking for more! =p I've been researaching other cons, but was curious to see what other places my fellow artists ended up after ACEN.

Are there any cons that you absolutely love going to? Any local ones?

I'm thinking about going to AnimeWorld (which I find hilarious that it's also in Rosemont) and was wondering if anyone had been there before. How would you describe it?

It'd be great to see y'all again before next May! =p
I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#2 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Off the topic of my head, I've got "AnimeNext", "Anthrocon", and "Otakon" confirmed and paid for. Kurokiiro(a local show that focuses less on pop culture, more on educating about the actual culture), Nekocon, Anime USA and Youmacon are also potentials.

Have you checked out, "Animecons.com" yet? it gives a listing of all the conventions in the US(and international for that matter), along with basic stats about them. How long they have been going, attendance numbers, cost of badges, etc. It's a wonderful resource for finding new shows.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your first show, and that it motivated you to do more of them :D

#3 User is offline   Karmada 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 15495

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostIcyPanther, on 03 May 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I have been bitten by the con bug.

ACEN was my first convention and now I'm afraid I'm looking for more! =p I've been researaching other cons, but was curious to see what other places my fellow artists ended up after ACEN.

Are there any cons that you absolutely love going to? Any local ones?

I'm thinking about going to AnimeWorld (which I find hilarious that it's also in Rosemont) and was wondering if anyone had been there before. How would you describe it?

It'd be great to see y'all again before next May! =p

Fabulous! Welcome to the addicting world of AAs. :D

I'm trying to get into the Anime World ones as well (if not in the alley, I'll be staffing, and hopefully doing some panels - I have some drawing panels I want to try out if anybody's interested). Anime World did pretty well for a first year convention (I was in their masq and was a panelist last year). We'll see how it grows!

I'm waiting for Youmacon's AA registration to release any information open, and there were a couple of others on my list, but now I'm blanking on them...

#4 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I live in Michigan - and tend to hit more close to home, so here's my annual list (some are already past, but all are yearly repeats for me)

Animarathon (OH)
ShutoCon (MI) (Hoping to get in next year, it's conflicted w/ other cons previously)
ACen (IL)
GlassCityCon (OH) (sadly cancelled this year, I hope they are back next year)
JAFAX (MI)
Go!Daiko-con (MI)
Youmacon (MI)

I would like to try out some of the east coast ones at some point.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#5 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the website link! I had not found that yet! :o

I would love to go to Youmacon, so hoping they release some info. on that soon!

@Manifested Dreams -- since you made it into Otakon, do you know what the odds are for actually getting a table? Not sure I like the lottery idea: reminds me too much of dorm housing! =p But interesting concept; I might try out for it next year!

And my living room is almost free of supplies again and the carpet can be seen on my bedroom floor! Everyone else taking forever to unpack from ACEN, or is it just me? =p

#6 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 03 May 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

And my living room is almost free of supplies again and the carpet can be seen on my bedroom floor! Everyone else taking forever to unpack from ACEN, or is it just me? =p

It's not just you! All my stuff is currently occupying almost the entirety of my living room floor. One of these days I'll be able to get to the couch without jumping over the arm, I swear.

I haven't thought about attending other cons due to my husband's schedule. He can't take any other days off for the year (we have a week and a half reserved for attending Dragoncon as regular badgeholders and other vacation) and I'm not sure how I would manage without anyone else behind the table to let me run off for bathroom breaks. :(
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#7 User is offline   rei_0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4098

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm on the books for JAFAX and hoping it doesn't interfere with my new job schedule. I'll probably try Youmacon again. I'd like to do more, but I think I need to start producing a lot more new work for that to work out well. I need to learn how to manage my time better during the semester ~_~
Also not being able to drive makes everything a lot more difficult.
2013 Cosplay - Fluttershy
Red Mage (maybe)

Artist Alley Table 165! Forest for the Trees
Come say hi!

#8 User is offline   Grimby 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61152

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 03 May 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

We're going to be at Anime Zing, which in in Iowa. From where I'm at in Bloomington, IL it's about a three hour drive, so not that bad!

We also went to Anime World last year. It's obviously much smaller than ACen, but it was still a pretty good convention. Anime Midwest is always another local option that is a lot of fun. ^_^

I'm hoping we can get into the AA at both of those again this year, but we'll see how our schedule plays out.

#9 User is offline   Stkbayfield 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29662

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Wife and I are going to attempt GenCon. We've been warned it's not a profitable con, but we just want to make back table and entry and spend a weekend gaming. Plus, we specialize in RP character profiles :D

#10 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostSapphy, on 03 May 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I haven't thought about attending other cons due to my husband's schedule. He can't take any other days off for the year (we have a week and a half reserved for attending Dragoncon as regular badgeholders and other vacation) and I'm not sure how I would manage without anyone else behind the table to let me run off for bathroom breaks. :(

My stuff is all gone! :D Yay, clean floor space!
I know what you mean about the bathroom breaks! I had my sis with me and although I barely went anywhere, at least I knew I could pee without freaking out =p I guess I'd just have to make really good friends with my fellow tables.

View PostGrimby, on 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

We're going to be at Anime Zing, which in in Iowa. From where I'm at in Bloomington, IL it's about a three hour drive, so not that bad!

We also went to Anime World last year. It's obviously much smaller than ACen, but it was still a pretty good convention. Anime Midwest is always another local option that is a lot of fun. ^_^

I'm hoping we can get into the AA at both of those again this year, but we'll see how our schedule plays out.

Supposedly AnimeWorld's AA is full...? :( I posted on their FB when I wasn't getting an email reply. I still filled out the registration form though, since the website says it's still open.

And just applied for Daishocon up in Wisconsin Dells. If nothing else, hotel comes with a waterpark! :D

#11 User is offline   RogueCreations 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61356

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Anime Cons I've been to (and hope to return to!) are: ACEN, Youmacon and GoDaiko Con. I hope to add more to that list eventually but for this year that's all I can do. I also went to Eville Con one year (a very small con in Evansville, IN) but I probably won't go back to that one unless it grows a lot more. I've looked into Anime World too and next year I'm hoping to go to Anime Milwaukee. We'll see what happens! For now the only other one I have for sure is GoDaiko Con. Hopefully I'll get into Youmacon again.

This post has been edited by RogueCreations: 03 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

#12 User is offline   cyanineblue 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62250

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have no other cons planned for the rest of the year. (I blame baby!!) But hopefully next year, I want to branch out into more gaming cons like GenCon for the exposure and C2E2 because it's in IL.

I don't know if it's possible for anyone else, but all of my AA stuff, with the exception of my large prints, all fit into a gigantic trunk which I lovingly call the Con Box. It gets heavy but I was able to just push it into its customary spot behind my couch and ta da! All cleaned up for Post con recovery!

#13 User is offline   The Chainmail Guy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61314

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've attended Midwest Furfest for two years now (also was in the Hyatt). The first year I did fairly well, last year I only broke even, though partly that's because I considered my hotel room as actual costs, since I'm not a furry and wouldn't attend the con otherwise (not like ACen). The AA there is free after you buy your badge, but it's done by luck of the draw the first day, and it's only got 3x3 tables. I was actually considering buying a dealer's booth there if I could get someone to go in on it with me. I'm not sure on the costs, but I know I won't fill a whole booth with just my stuff. Of course, there would be PennDragon to deal with then (just about anyone from the area that makes chainmail should know who I'm talking about).

#14 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 03 May 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Thanks for the website link! I had not found that yet! :o

I would love to go to Youmacon, so hoping they release some info. on that soon!

@Manifested Dreams -- since you made it into Otakon, do you know what the odds are for actually getting a table? Not sure I like the lottery idea: reminds me too much of dorm housing! =p But interesting concept; I might try out for it next year!

It's entirely dependent on the number of applications they take in. Otakon has something like 272 tables, if I remember correctly. I think they accepted 600 applications before it was closed? If so, that is about a 1:3 chance. This will be my 5th year of Otakon. I highly recommend it. Headaches(and hours, oh god...14hr Saturdays) aside, I really love going.

Also, I should take a picture of my apartment. We live in a 2 bedroom. I've taken over the second room to be my supply room, both couches and about 70 percent of the living room is overtaken by my stock, along with the "dining room".

Yeah. I need a bigger place and I am never fully unpacked, ever.

#15 User is offline   Hellmaster Bean 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9131

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

I'm gearing up for my local con Anime Iowa

I'm gonna make so many ponies. Just having a time deciding exactly what size to make them.
Ya darn kids with your One Piece and your rock n' roll music! Get offa my Upper Yard!!

Cosplay for ACen '13
- Rarity: My Little Pony FIM
Come see my work at the art show! Plush bentos and Ponies!

Visit my DeviantArt Gallery for my latest plush creations and My Etsy Shop for sales

#16 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

My convention schedule for the rest of the season is:
SoDak Con (this one is kind of a "for fun" con for me, so I'm not taking all my wares to it)
Tokyo in Tulsa
Anime Iowa
Motaku
Nebraskon
Izumicon
Anime Arkansas Festival

I really want to go to Mechacon again this year, but I don't think that I'll have a new car until November, and I can't make the 2100 mile round trip in my Ford Festiva. I would cry. I'll just have to wait until next year. I had to have a pretty sparse con schedule this year, but I also considered Anime Festival Wichita, Sogen Con, JAFAX, Geek-kon, and AniMinneapolis. I would recommend those cons (I think that Sogen, Geek-kon, and Wichita still have artist spots available).

My Dream 2013 Schedule would be (but I'm sure there will be conflicts and it'll par itself down):
Ahn!Con
Animeland Wasabi
Naka-kon
Detour
ACEN
Animinneapolis
Sogen Con
Anime Iowa
Motaku
Mechacon
NDK
Nebraskon
Izumicon
Anime Festival Arkansas
(And depending on what other cons I get into, I might add Tokyo in Tulsa and/or JAFAX and/or No Brand Con and/or Anime Festival Wichita, since there are several in that list that are a crapshoot at best)

This post has been edited by thatreevesgirl: 12 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users