Anime Central Forums: Is Acen even considered an anime convention anymore? - Anime Central Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is Acen even considered an anime convention anymore?

#121 User is offline   Sai077 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57152

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostOhki, on 02 May 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

You know what, I'm with linlindesu for one big reason; if we get rid of the Soap Bubble, you know what we'd get instead? Room parties. Lots of them. With lots of underage drinking. And those? Take place right on the same floors as people who are trying to sleep. Yeah no thank you.

I don't know where you were, but room parties were happening 24/7.

#122 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostSai077, on 03 May 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Heck, people were advertising room parties all over the forums. Personally, I think something should be done about that in the very least :/
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#123 User is offline   Xantar 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62300

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yeah uhh if you cut the late night event happenings that people will just go party in their room / lobby it isn't like they will just go to bed. At least having late night events gives people something to do and has staff available if something happens. You aren't going to stop the drinking and partying - this is what happens and as long as everyone is over 21 it is perfectly legal.

#124 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62376

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've never been to either of the dances, but people are saying Hardcore Synergy plays anime music?

This doesn't sound like fun anime music to me.

I think the other users meant straight up anime music, like AMKE plays (or PLAYED - haven't been to their dance in a few years). Like, theme songs and stuff. A dance that doesn't involve the DJ screaming "put your f***ing hands up."

Something a little less "hardcore" and much more lighthearted. Maybe that way it wouldn't appeal so much to stoners and losers looking to grope a bunch of 14-year-old girls?

This post has been edited by ❤Mokyu❤: 03 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

#125 User is offline   MH121 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62218

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Body count. Body count. That's all any convention really cares about. Stoners, drunks, gropers all still count toward the final badge total at the end of the day, so the con execs can brag to others how "successful" they made the con this year.

#126 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 03 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Heck, people were advertising room parties all over the forums. Personally, I think something should be done about that in the very least :/

I know a lot of conventions reserve a specific block of rooms in the hotel for people who plan on hosting room parties. While this won't necessarily cut down on the frequency/rowdiness of them, constraining room parties to a certain area and allowing the hotel to enforce "quiet/courtesy hours" during night hours might help the rest of the congoers cope. Many hotels do this for conventions because the hotels aren't 100% full of convention attendees and they want most room areas to be quieter at night for the patrons' sanity. Having a certain-sized block as well allows the hotel and convention to (theoretically) restrict the amount of allowed parties as well.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#127 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostMH121, on 03 May 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Body count. Body count. That's all any convention really cares about. Stoners, drunks, gropers all still count toward the final badge total at the end of the day, so the con execs can brag to others how "successful" they made the con this year.

I don't think I totally agree with this, namely because if it was all about the body count then the badges would be way lower, they would be at a different location and there would be less geek and the idea would be more about how do we get the most people to come. Acen isn't really about that.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#128 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1145

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostHello My Name Is Bob, on 01 May 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

No, not everyone is into anime or Japanese stuff. Great. There're plenty of events for general geek culture. If someone is not at all into anime, there has never been a shortage of things to do. Card games and tournaments, video games etc. have always had its place and it offered variety. Now, when the best defense to it still being an anime convention is the video rooms, I have some slight issues with the dergee of mixing. If you have no interest in anything related to anime/Japan, I am not sure why you'd come to an anime convention.

I'm not particularly sure why you'd be offering events that aren't particularly connected to anime or manga when there are plenty of gaming, CCG and general comics convention held in the area each year.

Y'know, Reactor also tried to expand outside of anime. Funny how they don't exist anymore, isn't it?

Of course, Reactor had other problems with things ranging from public drinking to public urination caused by said public drinking and a con chair who...well, let's just say he was a bit of a unpleasant fellow at times (I'm being extremely nice, here) and leave it that. That's beside the point, though; Reactor somehow felt the need to become something they originally weren't, and they failed. Miserably, IMHO, judging by the degree of programming that was anime-related even after they dropped the "anime" from their name. The out-of-control partying (that led to a downward spiral in the quality of available locations for the con) didn't help, either. So why try to expand out of what you consider your strongest emphasis in programming?

Acen is going the route of C2E2 and ComicCon very quickly. Just the later two are far better organized and have enough variety to appeal to a lot of nerddoms. Acen isn't really even doing that all that well considering where the major event focus is.

If anything, they need to reemphasize the first word in their name, especially in relation to JPop concerts and the dances; if they don't, I get the sinking feeling that their attendance could start declining as quickly as it grew.
Chris Krolczyk
Security/IRT Staff, 2003-5

Further proof of my degeneracy can be found at: http://the-archfiend.livejournal.com/ or http:the-archfiend.blogspot.com/

#129 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostMH121, on 03 May 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Only if the con execs were just that clueless. If enough people vociferously complain - or better yet, stop showing up regardless of the quality of the last con - only a complete simp couldn't be bothered to notice.
Chris Krolczyk

Further proof of my degeneracy can be found at: http://the-archfiend.livejournal.com/ or http:the-archfiend.blogspot.com/

#130 User is offline   The Archfiend 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostSapphy, on 03 May 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

I know a lot of conventions reserve a specific block of rooms in the hotel for people who plan on hosting room parties.

I work (and co-host a room party) at one of those, so I suppose I'll have to interject:

While this won't necessarily cut down on the frequency/rowdiness of them, constraining room parties to a certain area and allowing the hotel to enforce "quiet/courtesy hours" during night hours might help the rest of the congoers cope. Many hotels do this for conventions because the hotels aren't 100% full of convention attendees and they want most room areas to be quieter at night for the patrons' sanity. Having a certain-sized block as well allows the hotel and convention to (theoretically) restrict the amount of allowed parties as well.

Problem is, most of the conventions that do block for room parties are far, far smaller than Acen; Capricon pulled in just under a thousand attendees in February. Acen pulled in over 23,000 last year, which means that demand for a room in the party block will almost always outweigh the actual availability of those rooms, particularly if the con is trying to control noise and public drunkeness that way.

IIRC, Acen tried to block for party rooms a couple of years ago and gave up on the idea; dunno why, but my guess is that they had the exact set of problems I just mentioned or they couldn't swing an agreement with the Hyatt O'Hare; neither one of these possibilities would be particularly surprising to me.
Chris Krolczyk

#131 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58992

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Room parties have GOT to stop. there were pilots and flight staff staying at the hotels trying to get some rest before another flight out, and the majority of attendees were screaming in their rooms and in the halls at 3 AM. on Friday. If I hear a room party, I'll gladly ensure I ruin your night. Because these guests are PUTTING UP with the bullsh*t that ACen attendees feel they can splurge with. and It is not fair.

Make a room block for the people who need alcohol poisoning for fun.
Don't get me wrong (probably too late for that) I drink and I enjoy the fun times as such, however, most room parties I heard and saw and heard about, were like frat parties. and those folks actually make ALL of ACen look like utter sh*t.

Get a grip people. Have a good time, but don't be a prick.

#132 User is offline   Xantar 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I've never been to either of the dances, but people are saying Hardcore Synergy plays anime music?

I think the other users meant straight up anime music, like AMKE plays (or PLAYED - haven't been to their dance in a few years). Like, theme songs and stuff. A dance that doesn't involve the DJ screaming "put your f***ing hands up."

Something a little less "hardcore" and much more lighthearted. Maybe that way it wouldn't appeal so much to stoners and losers looking to grope a bunch of 14-year-old girls?

But this is

http://soundcloud.co...-fried-mars-bar

And so is this

http://soundcloud.co...ra-prelude-2012

And so is this

and so is a lot of the other works the artists do. So, like, they're not going to literally play anime theme songs, but the vast array of artists are heavily involved in the anime, doujin and bemani scene, all of which have roots in Japan. So as a convention of Japanese culture, not necessarily anime, they definitely have a place. I don't hear LMC playing anime cover songs, so why not hate on them?

#133 User is offline   ☆ MV 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 21362

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostXantar, on 03 May 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

So as a convention of Japanese culture, not necessarily anime, they definitely have a place. I don't hear LMC playing anime cover songs, so why not hate on them?

LM.C has done songs for anime, including Red Garden, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. :/

That aside, I think that the con is still considered an anime convention however it's quite obvious that the rowdiness, partying, drinking and smoking is becoming a bigger and bigger problem that affects other events. :|
ACen 2014
--- Bilbo Baggins(The Hobbit|)-100%

(Sorry this list changes a lot, I'm really indecisive :()
facebook livejournal tumblr

#134 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

As far as the parting goes. I like to party. It is my vacation. But we need a actually party floor. That way we don't disrupt our neighbors. FlyingElf tired to set one up last year and that fizzeld out. Not sure about this year.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#135 User is offline   MH121 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62218

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 03 May 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

As far as the parting goes. I like to party. It is my vacation. But we need a actually party floor. That way we don't disrupt our neighbors. FlyingElf tired to set one up last year and that fizzeld out. Not sure about this year.

Should be more like a party tower, instead of floor. Since it's an open atrium, having a party floor doesn't really help :) Now, if all the room parties are restricted to one of the towers, that may work. Then again, I think that's where the suites are I think.

#136 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostXantar, on 03 May 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

But this is

http://soundcloud.co...-fried-mars-bar

And so is this

http://soundcloud.co...ra-prelude-2012

And so is this

and so is a lot of the other works the artists do. So, like, they're not going to literally play anime theme songs, but the vast array of artists are heavily involved in the anime, doujin and bemani scene, all of which have roots in Japan. So as a convention of Japanese culture, not necessarily anime, they definitely have a place. I don't hear LMC playing anime cover songs, so why not hate on them?

Final Fantasy is an anime? Hmmm. I thought it was a video game.

No one is "hating" on anyone. Did I mention LM.C at all? No. Because I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the raves. I don't see why they can't have one "hardcore" rave and one lighter, more fun rave for those of us who don't want to headbang and thrash around. Maybe one can have an age limit and the music can be as hardcore as it wants to be, and the DJs can swear their butts off, and the other can be a little more youth friendly.

#137 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 03 May 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Strictly speaking, the Final Fantasy series has had a few different anime. Aside from that you're really just picking on semantics.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire

#138 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostSapphy, on 03 May 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Strictly speaking, the Final Fantasy series has had a few different anime. Aside from that you're really just picking on semantics.

Really? What are they called? I've never seen a FF anime. Just that Advent Children movie, which wasn't very good...

This post has been edited by ❤Mokyu❤: 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

#139 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Really? What are they called? I've never seen a FF anime. Just that Advent Children movie, which wasn't very good...

It was Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crytals, released in 1992 as a sequel to FF5. There was also Final Fantasy Unlimited and Last Order: Final Fantasy VII. I haven't seen the latter two, but Legend of the Crystals was pretty terrible.

#140 User is offline   GXP_agent_Zack 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2537

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Just replying to say I had no idea what Homestuck was before ACEN this year, but it's apparently been around since 2009. Why the 2012 cosplay explosion? It seemed like every other person was dressed as Homestuck. Obviously this is anecdotal, but I could swear there were fewer anime cosplayers this year than I've ever seen. I tried my best to attend anime-related stuff at the con, including watching two movies in the viewing rooms.

And when I mis-identified someone in a Homestuck cosplay as being from World of Warcraft (thought she was a Draenei), she was kinda mean to me haha.

"It doesn't matter who we were. It only matters who we are."

#141 User is offline   Xantar 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 03 May 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....of_the_Crystals

#142 User is offline   Xantar 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Honestly if you want to have a more anime and friendly event get rid of Soap Bubble. At least Hardcore Synergy deals with Japanese culture and has people from Japan. Soap Bubble is just some dudes from the area playing dubstep.

#143 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

If they're still here, I suggest everyone read the gripe and complaint threads from the past years.
They are very interesting reads.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#144 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostSai077, on 03 May 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

imagine room parties plus the 1-3k kids that go to the bubble. Yeap, Those aren't just room parties.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#145 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I feel bad about the hardcore this year. But don't go to their suggestion thread and say anything or you'll get chewed out like I did :]
Trust me when I say, it is usually awesome.
Sorry for the double post mods >_<
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#146 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

For those complaining about what's anime and not...you do know ACEN is advertised as: "Chicago's and the Midwest's largest anime, manga and Japanese popular culture convention" Too lazy to specifically call out post but yeah.

#147 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostMH121, on 03 May 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Should be more like a party tower, instead of floor. Since it's an open atrium, having a party floor doesn't really help :) Now, if all the room parties are restricted to one of the towers, that may work. Then again, I think that's where the suites are I think.

Either one I'd be happy to do as long as I can cut lose on these anime filled party nights.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#148 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostGXP_agent_Zack, on 03 May 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Just replying to say I had no idea what Homestuck was before ACEN this year, but it's apparently been around since 2009. Why the 2012 cosplay explosion? It seemed like every other person was dressed as Homestuck.

Homestuck was actually pretty huge last year as well. Maybe not AS huge, but it was still the biggest photoshoot I went to by far, and there were trolls all over the place.
derp

#149 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

I like how much people try to blame the dances for things. Room parties, drinking, etc? That's been around for a long time and the same things go down at every convention. That's just how cons seem to be heading these days as conventions and anime become more mainstream and a larger group of people come to them.

I'm also amused by how much people are talking about wanting the con to be more about anime yet say the masquerade needs to be the end all be all of saturday.

You all realize that cosplay isn't anime related right? It's part of japanese subculture just like lolita is.

-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#150 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostTombolo, on 04 May 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Homestuck was actually pretty huge last year as well. Maybe not AS huge, but it was still the biggest photoshoot I went to by far, and there were trolls all over the place.

last year the Doctor Who shoot had over 200 people on Friday, I never saw Homestuck at all last year. Just wanted to interject that.

The main problem with room parties is this:

1. Responsible people come to ACen with people who are knowingly going to muck things up, be it outrageously drunk, or have had problems in the past, or whatever. Responsible people could tell those friends "I'm sorry, I'm not going to stay with you."

2. Room parties can only be policed for so long. I'm fairly sure that many people bitching about them also attend them to some degree.

The biggest problem overall is that people need to start policing themselves and have personal accountability for their actions. And until people actually do this it will only degrade more - or, the cops will start showing up, which I'm 100% in favor of.

This post has been edited by myrla: 04 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users