Anime Central Forums: Suggestions for ACen 2013 - Anime Central Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Suggestions for ACen 2013 Have a solution to a problem from ACen 2012?

#91 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I just want to echo two things that have been said.

1. Family Friendly. Although the con isn't 18+ only, it's family friendly title is pretty smudged and hard to see. Might as well drop the title now and prevent problems later.

2. Hardcore Synergy and Soap bubble being all on one day. Friday. I think this is the best idea I ever heard. It was pretty much end the war with masq and soap bubble, and make acen focus on the masq again. I know the fire alarm/fire extinguisher was beyond control, but what was done to masq and the people who worked hard is pretty much unforgivable.

Tho on a good note, the acen guidebook was VERY useful. Defintely keep that implemented.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#92 User is offline   gavv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostMistress of Ecclectia, on 06 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

#2 May have worked if it were tweaked, and #1 is unfortunate. The hotel food is way over-priced. I can see where it might go wrong, though. *Sigh* Oh, well. At least there are other restaurants within driving distance. It's just bogus that con-goes have to pay so much for food in the hotel ><

Believe me, no amount of tweaking would have made it work after the last time. Most of us that started ACen came from con running or attending SF & media cons, where con suites were common and an essential part of the con social culture. We kept it going as long as we could before some of the same mass fan behavior that people complain about now caused us to get rid of it then. No matter how much more resources we would have thrown into it, it didn't make sense once the population got to a certain point. We spent lots of resources on snacks and fountain machines/drinks but after the first couple Hyatt years, all we really got out of it in the end were lots of sticky floors and not too thrilled hotel management.

gavv

#93 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

For people complaining about food costs please keep in mind that you can drastically cut costs by bringing your own food. I barely spend any money on food because I brought a cooler full of fruit, soda, juice, powerade and a big bag full of cup noodles and other food/snacks. You can also order a pizza and have it delivered. Splitting the cost with friends really helps out if you put your money together to buy some. The food costs in the hotel and surrounding areas will never change so the only way around that is to be prepared.

Other suggestions: Keep the guidebook. This helped out so much! Although, some people don't have smartphones, so if it could be possible, when something does change, could there be an official Acen message board set up somewhere in the con where staff can post info regarding changes?

Also I keep seeing the suggestion to make single day passes available for online purchase. That would be very helpful in cutting down lines for those that just want day passes. Anything that would help registration out would be beneficial. :)

For cosplay gatherings, I said this in another thread, but I do think there should be one staff member (if possible) at each location. The gatherings are fan made, but some really do need some guidance and I feel this will help traffic flow if a group lingers for too long as well as getting people together.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#94 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

I spent $30 at Target and had tons of munchies, lunch, enough soda in my room + snacks for my purse so I didn't have to buy food at con unless I wanted to. :) pre-planning = your friend. (it helped my room had a mini fridge, though).
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#95 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62404

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I forgot to mention the drunks walking around making rude remarks to people. One guy yelled to a girl in passing, "Stop being so obese!". I felt violated for her. Can't stop people from drinking, I just think that everyone needs to beware of mean drunks.

#96 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Best way to cut down on mean drunks is to try to curb the drinking. I know you can't have a dry con, that will never happen in a million years. But what could be done is limit the number of people that bring what into the con. Sadly this sort of behavior can be seen on college campuses to often too.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#97 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Gonna have Prohibition if you try to limit drinks. lol

Seriously, I'm quite sure people would go nuts if there was something like that. Tho I really hate drunks at acen.

Only time I'd forgive a dude for getting inches in my face (and dude isn't knocked out or anything) cuz he is drunk. >_>
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#98 User is offline   AcenFTW! 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57107

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

I will suggest having the panels that are quite similar at separate times. I recall that many of the panels designed to help people wishing to get into business were all at the same time and I was left to pick which one I wanted to attend out of the them.
ACen 2015 - Coming Soon...

#99 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Also maybe split up the photoshoots at times given the size of some, twenty people at most per shoot, and then have them managed by staff/leaders so that you don't have issues that came up this year with the MLP group.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#100 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 06 May 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

Best way to cut down on mean drunks is to try to curb the drinking. I know you can't have a dry con, that will never happen in a million years. But what could be done is limit the number of people that bring what into the con. Sadly this sort of behavior can be seen on college campuses to often too.

That's not going to happen either. There would be too much investigation, people will sneak it in (pour alcohol in other bottles), or have others bring it in. Too many different ways to sneak it around the system for Hyatt and ACen itself to investigate. I hope people try to be more civil but yeah unfortunately making a dry con or limiting the number of drinks one brings in is entirely unrealistic.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#101 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostAcenFTW!, on 06 May 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I will suggest having the panels that are quite similar at separate times. I recall that many of the panels designed to help people wishing to get into business were all at the same time and I was left to pick which one I wanted to attend out of the them.

I just suggest that panels with very similar setups piggie back each other. Any way you can eliminate setup time for any panel or event for this con is a godsend.

#102 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

A quick suggestion. Double check times of photoshoots and panels. It didn't affect me personally, but I heard quite a few panels for series were scheduled at the same time or directly before/after their photoshoots. Don't make those poor people choose between panels and shoots! Space them out a little so they have the chance to go to both if they'd like.

An idea for the dances. While I LOVE the idea of having them both on the same day, I wouldn't doubt that that's impossible. If it is, another suggestion that builds off of some others I've read. Treat the dances like a rated R movie. You need to have an ID proving you're 18 to get in. BUT, you can also get in if accompanied by a parent and/or guardian. You'd probably want to limit people getting in just with their friends by saying said parent/guardian must be over the age of like 30 or something. (It's pretty difficult for anyone to have a child old enough to attend these that isn't at least 30) When they enter, stamp the kid's hand. When they try to leave, if they aren't with their parent, DON'T LET THEM LEAVE. Have like a holding area for them or something. Force them to call their parents and have them picked up. Possibly revoke theirs/parents badges for not following the rules. Of course, you must be sure this rule is VERY clear so people don't throw a huge fit if their badges are taken away (not that they wouldn't throw a fit anyways). Sure, some people will find ways around this. Older attendees will let younger ones in with them. But it ought to cut down on a vast majority of the children that are there without their parents knowledge. Oh, you're 15 at the con by yourself? Sucks to be you.
ACen 2015 Plans
Friday - Maki (1, 2, Jump!) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100%
Saturday - Kisumi Shigino (Casual from end card) [Free! Eternal Summer] 100%
Saturday - Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 55%
Sunday - Neko [K Project] 95% (need green contact xD)

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#103 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Swing an all ages dance earlier in the night, then do an 18+ dance late.

#104 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Set the soapbubble later in the evening say 10, anyone under the age of 18 does not enter. Set up some side thing for them a smaller event, starts at seven ends at 10:30 or 11pm. This gives them pleanty of time to party, but this way you don't have the older people screwing around with the younger ones. For the main dances: Band, stamp or ticket. If you don't have this, oh well sucks to be you try next year. Also enforce that you have to be a certain age to enter, if you are not that age, then you have to attend the younger party. Be direct about it, I know it sucks, my sister had that issue a few years ago, but you know what, she got over it because there were other things to do.

Pardon the Pause

#105 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

View Postrondo, on 07 May 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

Swing an all ages dance earlier in the night, then do an 18+ dance late.

This. Maybe they could consider doing this for Hardcore Synergy/Soap Bubble. For at least hardcore Synergy, dance starts at 8 then goes until 11, lights go on, staff cards everyone to verify if they're at least 18 (no ID you'll have to leave or go get your ID and come back in line.)

I'm also planning an idea suggestion for a 21+ event. Repeating what I said from my wall of China text post, pretty much it would be a small event where there would be good and a cash bar, have board games/video games there, and if enough space is available, a small dance floor. It would pretty much be a small social but kind of a public room party but officially sanctioned by ACen. If I can I'd like for this idea to happen.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#106 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

My suggestions:

1) Photoshoots:
an alternate meet up location for rain: This year, we had the freezing cold (for some cosplayers) and the rain. Neither one could be helped. We can't control Mother Nature (yet). And it was wonderful that we had staff relocate us, though they didn't wait until the time of the shoot, so people arriving right on time didn't know the shoot was relocated. When setting up a photoshoot schedule, maybe have designated Rain Out Relocation sites.

addendum to photoshoots:
Night-time photoshoots in the dome. I don't knwo if it's because the lights were turned off after the fire alarm, but the lighting in the lower dome after dark is frankly terrible for photoshoots. Unless you have a professional grade camera with a flash as bright as a supernova, the pictures aren't going to come out well at all. Perhaps for late night shoots, hold them in a brighter lit area? Or barring that, perhaps have a way to set up some lights?

2) Artist Alley:
From what I understand, the rest of the convention floor was designed by someone who understood customer flow and space issues. It was lovely. However, I had a hard time navigating the Artist Alley. Half the tables pointed left to right, but then suddenly, a bunch of them were up and down. Make all the takes point in the same direction, just like the aisles at the store. That way, it's easier to navigate artist alley. I say this because there was a certain artist/shop I wanted to locate. I walked through the Alley three times and could never find it because I kept getting turned around or I thought I'd already gone down a certain row. I never managed to find that shop.

3)Bring back the Khaotic Koutour!
The professional lolita fashion show was nice. The indipendant fashion show was nice. But the KK was something special and amazing becuase it wasn't just Gothic Lolita. It let a bunch of people show off Steampunk, Cyber Punk, and Lolita styles! By having a fashion show like the KK, more people might be willing to come see it/model in it.

4)Mark programming cancelations better:
When going to a panal, I enjoyed having the piece of paper saying what was in the room at that time visible. However, when the panal was canceled, the paper was either folded or ripped in half as far as I could tell. Instead of doing this, perhaps a big red marker and the word CANCELED across that sheet of paper. That way, we don't stand there thinking someone just pulled the sheet off, etc
2015 Cosplay
Mondo Oowada - DanganRonpa
Tsukishima Kei - Haikyuu
Atobe Keigo - Prince of Tennis
Mankanshoku Mako - Kill la Kill if it gets done on time

#107 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 07 May 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

2) Artist Alley:
From what I understand, the rest of the convention floor was designed by someone who understood customer flow and space issues. It was lovely. However, I had a hard time navigating the Artist Alley. Half the tables pointed left to right, but then suddenly, a bunch of them were up and down. Make all the takes point in the same direction, just like the aisles at the store. That way, it's easier to navigate artist alley. I say this because there was a certain artist/shop I wanted to locate. I walked through the Alley three times and could never find it because I kept getting turned around or I thought I'd already gone down a certain row. I never managed to find that shop.

THIS. I did the exact same thing. Went through the alley twice quick Friday morning looking for 1 shop, couldn't find it and figured they were just late to show up. I must have gone through the alley at least 2 or 3 more times throughout the weekend, but never found them. PLEASE put everything facing the same direction. I could care less which direction, but make them all point that way.
ACen 2015 Plans
Friday - Maki (1, 2, Jump!) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100%
Saturday - Kisumi Shigino (Casual from end card) [Free! Eternal Summer] 100%
Saturday - Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 55%
Sunday - Neko [K Project] 95% (need green contact xD)

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#108 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

2) Artist Alley:

I'm going to third this. My friend walked it on Sun and she kept getting turned around and unsure of what aisles she'd been down and which ones she hadn't. I also had someone who'd commissioned something before the con call me on my cell phone because she couldn't find my table. Luckily I was next to one of the two sets of blinking lights, so at least I could give her something to look for, but that's never a good sign. ^_^;;

#109 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Have all of the dealer's rooms aisles line up in one similar direction, the AA would be the opposite (makes them obviously different from each other). I also found the placement of such booths like Funimation, to be a bit odd as well as that little ice cream booth. Walking out in the midway point of the hamster trail, I come out to the DH/AA section and was immediately met with a line in front of that ice cream corner.

This post has been edited by rondo: 07 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

#110 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

That entry way by the exportia resturant...yeah, set it up in a way so people aren't crushed, or make it a one way in or out deal. One hour it's in the next it's out.

Pardon the Pause

#111 User is offline   gavv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postrondo, on 07 May 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Have all of the dealer's rooms aisles line up in one similar direction, the AA would be the opposite (makes them obviously different from each other). I also found the placement of such booths like Funimation, to be a bit odd as well as that little ice cream booth. Walking out in the midway point of the hamster trail, I come out to the DH/AA section and was immediately met with a line in front of that ice cream corner.

And don't shun convention and guest booths over to the sahara desert of the convention hall :P

gavv

#112 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

My suggestions:
2) Artist Alley:

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 07 May 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

THIS. I did the exact same thing. Went through the alley twice quick Friday morning looking for 1 shop, couldn't find it and figured they were just late to show up. I must have gone through the alley at least 2 or 3 more times throughout the weekend, but never found them. PLEASE put everything facing the same direction. I could care less which direction, but make them all point that way.

View PostGwydion, on 07 May 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'm going to third this. My friend walked it on Sun and she kept getting turned around and unsure of what aisles she'd been down and which ones she hadn't. I also had someone who'd commissioned something before the con call me on my cell phone because she couldn't find my table. Luckily I was next to one of the two sets of blinking lights, so at least I could give her something to look for, but that's never a good sign. ^_^;;

It does look insane even on paper - and I imagine it was done to most efficiently use the space available (as the person setting up the Exhibitors and Artists is the same person) because if you look at the map, and try laying it all one direction you lose a lot of tables - but I'll definitely make sure that the DH sees this so they can evaluate how to make it better for next year to navigate.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#113 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

frzndaqiri, maybe they can outline a pair of paths? Or give the groups numbers. With the paths it would be a yellow going up like from one to whatever number based on submissions, and then a blue going down from whatever number of submissions to one. This way there's two paths that can take you around the booths and people can remember the number of the table. Just a possiblity.

Pardon the Pause

#114 User is offline   DarkCloudInc 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59331

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Could there be less tables where the DJ's performed. They really got in the way of dancing.
Facebook
---
2013 Cosplay Lineup: (Tenatative)
Sebastian Michaelis - Demon Form [Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji] Saturday [PM]
Keima Katsuragi - Kami Mode [The World God Only Knows] Friday
Folken Fanel - Black Winged Angel [The Vision of Escaflowne] Saturday [AM]/Sunday

#115 User is offline   randy r 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

My big suggestion would be to try and secure more international guests. I mean, come on. Look at the guest list for Fanimecon:

Voice actress and singer Mai Aizawa
Animator and designer Shigeto Koyama
Manga creator Kia Asamiya
illustrator/animator Mamoru Yokota
Gainax founder Hiroyuki Yamaga
vocalist Igaguri Chiba from musical group Sendai Kamotsu

Granted, this con is later in the year, but it is a smaller con than ACen. This slowly growing lack of international guests has been one thing that has been bothering me for several years.
randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

#116 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

I know that what El Ken stated was that there was some hang ups this year getting guests, not to mention we were the con going into Golden Week, which in Japan is like Basically Spring Break for everyone.

Pardon the Pause

#117 User is offline   Ultra Yak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 47823

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Well To be Honest I just skimmed around this post because that's way too much to read when you first run into it...

But..

Having Soap Bubble AND Hardcore Synergy on Friday doesnt just mean that the battles between Soap Bubble and the Masquerade are over.

It also means the Masquerade can be longer and contain more content and entries.

I also think it'd be awesome to see that holographic Vocaloid concert tho.

This post has been edited by Ultra Yak: 12 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

ACEN2012, "Ultra Yak!! in GetBack Feeling!"
His little boat coasted into the dock of the city named ACEN. It's shimmering lights made him blind to the chaos that would ensue within.
Soon he would learn that he would get back more than just the feelings lost in the year 2010.
Waiting in the one place he wouldn't look, until...

#118 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Suggestions:

Lines for autographs, etc. People could have a stamp on their hand or you get a sticker on your badge which shows your placement in line. This could avoid confusion and congestion.

Make it so that you need a badge for all events. It's very easy for someone to just come for the Soapbubble and they are not there for the convention in question, but to party and to make a scene. If they don't have a badge they can't go.

Have more cameras or more help by the hotel to avoid damage. The hotel is ready to issue out the damage cost to Anime central midwest but don't prevent it? I find that odd. Also this would help the "It's my buddy so I don't want to turn them in," or "LOL DON'T care because I thought it was funny," by some con goers from previous incidents. (Example: Someone said they knew the person who did the alarm and the fire extinguisher but didn't report them or turn them in and refuse to do so.)
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#119 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

My suggestions:
4)Mark programming cancelations better:
When going to a panal, I enjoyed having the piece of paper saying what was in the room at that time visible. However, when the panal was canceled, the paper was either folded or ripped in half as far as I could tell. Instead of doing this, perhaps a big red marker and the word CANCELED across that sheet of paper. That way, we don't stand there thinking someone just pulled the sheet off, etc

If this happened to you I am VERY sorry, they should not have been ripped off or folded like that. We were using markers and pens to cross off panels or write cancelled in big letters.... Will try to ensure this doesn't happen again. We will try to get a better streamlined communication system for convention changes as that was a BIG concern brought up at feedback, thanks for letting us know that!
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

#120 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

[repost from another thread]

As stated by the topic - I have an idea for you guys.

It seems that having two raves in one weekend has finally hit rock bottom. While I haven't supported having two raves, there wasn't really much of a reason, and it was ultimately me just venting. (I generally have a massive problem with the crowd that Soap Bubble attracts, as well as the people who will just buy a one-day badge just to attend Soap Bubble, say 'To Hell with the rest of the con', and ACen Management kowtows to them. I saw some freaking frat boys/sorority chicks a few years back that didn't have crap to do with the con - they just showed up for Soap Bubble. I'm digressing though...)

Now this year? Has given others and myself a lot of ammo.

This is an Anime and Japan-based Pop culture convention. This is the focus of this con. This con is called Anime Central. Raves have absolutely crap to do with anime. Cutting Masquerade short - even for the fire drill, and even after it being an hour late - just so another rave could start on time is beyond comprehension, for any anime convention. More people put insane amounts of money, time, craftsmanship, blood, sweat and tears into these costumes, and to have their efforts disregarded just for yet another rave is a slap to the face - and I don't even do masquerades. My heart sunk when I heard about Masquerade being cut short. Ultimately, Friday night should be the rave and Saturday night should be for Masquerade. For the people who want to have yet another rave, they can go to Chicago proper or someplace else for that.

Before anyone gets started, I completely realize that it was not the fault of the staff for having to cancel it. They did what they had to do and I applaud them for their professionalism in light of such an unforeseen circumstance. You guys are awesome. I do, however, have a huge bone to pick with 1) The d-bag that triggered the fire alarm and 2)Whoever thought it would be a brilliant decision to cut the Masquerade short for the rave.

So my proposition? Bring it down to one rave, or a longer rave on Friday Night. Hell, move Soap Bubble to Friday Night and get rid of Hardcore Synergy or combine the two. But do we really need two? It seems like, this year, staff should be forced to make a decision so that the events of Acen 2012 are not repeated. And I hope that Acen Management reads this thread and the other one about the Masquerade.

ADDENDUM - I find it refreshing that people are talking about covers. In Chicago, I've gone to events where there was a $20-$30 cover. It's actaully really deceptive to count the amount of people buying badges but only showing up for the Soap Bubble - it makes the numbers look a lot larger than they actually should be. I agree with having a cover being this high. If people continue to act like they have no sense, raise it more. Ultimately, considering the signs that I've seen advertising Soap Bubble, why in the absolute hell do you guys NOT card? This should be a 21+ event - it's similar to George Clinton concerts where you have to be 21 to get in. When I was in college, even in a really small town, all bars carded hard. Black lights and everything. And yes, there should be some boys in blue posted CONSPICUOUSLY in front of the event, and plain-clothes officers inside of the event. Because, quite honestly, I'm not a great beauty, but it's screwed up when I've got some Sigma Pi d-bag hitting on me and propositioning me and he's only here for a rave. Ultimately, what the convention needs to worry about is not only the anime-related events, but the caliber of people that their events attract.

Also, the time needs to be pushed back. In general, I, as well as other people who party like crazy, do not actually go out to bars/clubs UNTIL 11PM. The party can go until 5-6 in the morning or daybreak. Start the rave at 11 PM. For the people that feel like they need to have SOMETHING going on right before that - if you're having a room party, none of this should make a damn bit of difference to you. You'll party in your room and come down to the event. Simple.

This post has been edited by antisocialist: 23 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users