Anime Central Forums: Suggestions for ACen 2013 - Anime Central Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Suggestions for ACen 2013 Have a solution to a problem from ACen 2012?

#61 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

****THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND NO WAY REFLECTS THAT OF ANY STAFF OR DEPARTMENT ASSOCIATED WITH ANIME CENTRAL AND/OR M.A.P.S.*****

I must suggest that next year, we use tickets. I know, I know, people complained about them before, however its very obvious the way we are doing it now does not work. The 30 minute rule was a great idea, but it just wasnt enforceable. IRT tried, but there were still people lurking around the line areas for hours, which still causes congestion and fire hazards. We can only do so much to try to get people to move away from the area. Its obvious asking them doesnt always work out. My suggestion with tickets is, having them avaliable on Thursday and Friday in the early morning hours, before most main programing starts. Whether you divide them up equally, leave some out for last minute people who decide they want to go, etc would be up to the people in charge of ticketing. Also, having a set number available at the ADA area to those with disability passes, that way they can still claim tickets, without waiting in huge lines. I think this also could be utilized for autographs.

Making them reusable could cut down on cost. Obviously you wouldnt get all of them back, but it would atleast cut the cost down each year by a considerable amount.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#62 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'd agree, if only because you can't really argue or complain your way out of needing a ticket, whereas people fussed and sneaked until they could get around the 30 minute rule. Don't have a ticket? You don't get in. Simple and enforceable, even if people complain about it.
Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#63 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, it isn't like tickets haven't been used before but it needs to be an efficient process and not have too much overhead.

This post has been edited by rondo: 04 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

#64 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 03 May 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Regarding tickets for lines, I do think that tickets can get lost and you'd get into fighting more frequently given that people will say they had one and they lost it, etc. Stamping hands would work for the lines, this way you could have people less worried about the time. If people try to line up, they can't since they have the stamps and thus have to come back 30 mins before hand.

Somehow, cons like Gen Con and Origins manage ticketed events without people losing them.

Hand stamps are a pain. They take a lot of "face time" from staff. Plus, multiple "stamped" events run you out of hand/arm space pretty quick.

And the policy on lost tickets for anything (convention or otherwise) is, "tough luck." Once you get a ticket, it's your responsibility to keep track of it.

#65 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Maybe have the stamp go on the badge. Like have a blank section on the back for it so that it can be stamped. Is Gen and Origins as large as Acen? The other thing is, what sort of tickets are they, people with cosplay can loose them or worse they trade them with friends etc. Stamps you can't do that.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#66 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 04 May 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Maybe have the stamp go on the badge. Like have a blank section on the back for it so that it can be stamped. Is Gen and Origins as large as Acen? The other thing is, what sort of tickets are they, people with cosplay can loose them or worse they trade them with friends etc. Stamps you can't do that.

Gen Con is MASSIVE.

For tickets, I don't really see them being a problem. The plastic badge holders have room in them to stuff a few slips of paper (I typically wear a homemade "name" badge if I'm meeting people at the convention), so I usually slip any extra things in the back of my badge.

Granted, I did see a lot of people without the plastic protectors this year, so I'm wondering if reg ran out of them early.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#67 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Gen Con 2011 brought in 36,733 attendees. Origins with 10,669 in 2010. (both from wiki) Acen is in the middle of them.

Have it so the tickets you get for registration come with a folder (like the ones given out at con). Put tickets behind folder. Problem solved.

Or, just give out tickets and make people actually be responsible.

Or use Eventbrite, sign up for the event beforehand, print off the ticket that way. That works for small and large events at places like NAB (~100+k attendance) and SXSW (ugh too many people).
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#68 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19314

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

If people have an issue with losing tickets, then maybe they should glue the ticket to their forehead.

There is absolutely no excuse, "Oh I lost my ticket :(" -- be more responsible, seriously, it isn't that hard.

If you forget it, or lose it, well that really sucks but you should've been more careful.

I cannot STAND the "oh I lost it" excuse. If people are so irresponsible that they lose tickets to events they really want to go to, then they do not deserve to go to those events. Period. End of story.

Even my sister with ADD manages not to lose super important tickets (even if she does lose her keys and her glasses and her cellphone three times daily).

(Use of "you" was meant in a general sense and not targeted toward anyone specifically!)
I love guinea pigs and cats and Sgt. Frog.

#69 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostSapphy, on 04 May 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Gen Con is MASSIVE.

For tickets, I don't really see them being a problem. The plastic badge holders have room in them to stuff a few slips of paper (I typically wear a homemade "name" badge if I'm meeting people at the convention), so I usually slip any extra things in the back of my badge.

Granted, I did see a lot of people without the plastic protectors this year, so I'm wondering if reg ran out of them early.

Badge holders were for the paper badges panelists get etc. The normal badges were hard plastic and didn't have a case.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#70 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Gen Con is much larger - about 37,000. Origins is about 14,000.

The tickets are small, roughly the size of a mailing label, printed on decent stock paper.

I'm not sure how trading with friends would hurt. One person, one ticket, one event entry. So, if person A gives it to person B, only person B can do the event. Not that hard.

#71 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postkenkendazo, on 04 May 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Badge holders were for the paper badges panelists get etc. The normal badges were hard plastic and didn't have a case.

Oh, they've changed it up in the past couple years, I had an artist badge so I didn't know. Most congoers got hard plastic badges? Wouldn't that be more expensive to produce than the paper ones plus plastic sleeve? O.o
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire

#72 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

View Postkenkendazo, on 04 May 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

That's not true. I won a contest the week before ACen and they printed out the badge at the con so I got a paper badge. I'm assuming those who pre-registered and had them mailed (and possibly those who picked them up at will-call) were hard plastic or the hard plastic ones were the special 15th Anniversary badges. Those who registered at the con had paper badges.

This post has been edited by Lina: 05 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#73 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

I think it was people who had theirs mailed. I pre-ordered and forgot to click mailing so picked mine up at Will Call but only got a paper one whereas my friend had his mailed but since there were shipping problems he had to pick it up at con and he had the hard plastic one.

#74 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58992

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

As I mentioned earlier, as I see Dark Spellmaster also pointed out...

Perhaps a spot on the badge that can be stamped or a sticker stuck to it that represents purchased/registered admission to events?

NO tickets. People are senseless and lose them. Stick a sticker to the badge as the badge remains in that plastic sleeve all the time anyway and has little possibility of falling off.

the plastic sleeve was given to everyone. so therefore, this idea seems awfully fool proof.

stickers. on the badge. badge goes into plastic sleeve. staff sees the sticker, and allows entry for whatever that sticker is designated for. the stickers have to be obtained through a special events/registration desk/s that also check ID to ensure things are age appropriate.

paper tickets, bought online or in person....might as well be litter. people WILL misplace them.

as for paper/plastic badges. Hard plastic badges were an anniversary promo. You can opt for paper in the plastic sleeve though. I usually get the sleeve anyway so I can stick my ID and room key in there safely....

#75 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Seeing as the Masquerade/Synergy go past midnight and until the wee hours of the morning, aren't there stipulations regarding under-age attendees anyway? (I apologize for my ignorance but I would have to assume this is so by RPD)As I've said before in previous threads, making the dances 21 and up I think is the only way to prevent the underage candy ravers from having an outlet to act like skanks and idiots. As far as the ticketing idea goes, I agree. Many places fo this. It's like at the Aquarium/Zoo/Various museums: you can buy general admission and then you can purchase entry to certain events along with it. The excuse of "people will lose them" well, too bad so sad. Be responsible, or don't and deal with the consequences. I can't buy a movie ticket, lose it, and then complain when I won't be let into the theater to see the movie because that was my mistake for losing it in the first place. This system may also solve some people's complaints of ticket prices being too high. Perhaps the "general" admission (Dealer's Room, Panels, Arcade) can be set at a discounted price than those that allow entry to concerts, dances, etc.
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#76 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Suggestion about the dances:

Have the Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy at the same time on Friday. Keep the Soap Bubble in the Hyatt Ballroom and have it all ages, but put the Hardcore Synergy in a different location with 18+ and have staff check ID's and badges. This way you can have more main programming on Saturday to focus on the Masquerade and other events. We do not need two nights of dances and there is so much going on to cram into one weekend and I feel that one day should be dedicated to the dances for those that want to attend and one day focused on other main programming events.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#77 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62404

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

It would have been cool if the vendors had a better variety of Japanese-style apparel (Harajuku, Ko Gal, and Decora!!!), home goods (I recall one or two vendors last year had cool looking home goods that were practical), some anime/game related car accessories maybe? Nix the concerts and fashion shows, get more activities and panels going on at night. You guys should run a 24-hour pop-up Restaurant with Japanese and Korean cuisine. Food Trucks, too! Call up some traveling food trucks from around Chicago and ask them to come to the convention to sell each day so that we can get more than McDonald's and pizza. Back to the 24-hour pop-up restaurant, having Japanese and Korean food near and available will help set the mood of the convention. Have more anime showings at night, both 18+ and teen appropriate (of course, still in separate rooms). The people this year were less friendly, too. Maybe you guys are advertising in some of the wrong places? Or, maybe you guys were advertising some of the wrong things (the Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy, for example). I totally think that the convention can be redeemed in 2013 if you guys combine all of our pointers. =]

This post has been edited by Mistress of Ecclectia: 05 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

#78 User is offline   MisakiMise 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 32365

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think it would be nice to have single day badges sold online. Maybe not for an entire tier, but for at least a little bit of it.
It would be more convenient for a bunch of people and might reduce line size a bit.
ACen 2014 ideas
?????

deviantART|Flickr

#79 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostVoxx, on 05 May 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Have the Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy at the same time on Friday. Keep the Soap Bubble in the Hyatt Ballroom and have it all ages, but put the Hardcore Synergy in a different location with 18+ and have staff check ID's and badges. This way you can have more main programming on Saturday to focus on the Masquerade and other events. We do not need two nights of dances and there is so much going on to cram into one weekend and I feel that one day should be dedicated to the dances for those that want to attend and one day focused on other main programming events.

Seconded!

Also, RE: Food issues, MAPS/ACen has a contract with the con center and the Hyatt which disallows them from using any sort of outside food source/vendor. They must use the convention center/Hyatt food stuffs... union contracts and all that jazz. ACen can't do anything about the food situation.

I also think ACen should start selling one-day badges online. Maybe make the one-day badges Will Call pick-up and only mail the full weekend badges if that's an issue, but I really think it's about time ACen started selling one day badges like a lot of different conventions do.

#80 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62376

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Genius.

As for the suggestion to nix concerts, are you kidding me?! That's one of the things I look forward to most - getting to see Japanese bands/singers I would never have been able to see otherwise, unless the underworld froze over. Heck no.

#81 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Also I'd like to suggest only one huge headliner musical performance and one other performance, like when the Pillows came to Acen. With a band like that you really don't need any more musical guests. Focusing on getting guests earlier would also be fantastic and having at least one famous manga-ka on the guest list would make a lot of people happy. To me it isn't about the quantity of guests Acen has. If you can afford only a few big names, I'm sure more people would be pleased.
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#82 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58992

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Rave/Dances on the same night! YES YES YES!

Its a great way to slim down lines, madness, etc.!

THis is GENIUS. Masquerade and Anime Hell and Midnight Madness can reign supreme on Saturday once again!

As it should be.

and Mistress, I LOVE your idea!

more activities at night that keep many of the attendees interacting on a sober level. more panels at night and showings!

and FOOD. YES!

and more apparel that is Japanese! For sure.

Guys, I love these ideas.

This post has been edited by Siren Noel: 06 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

#83 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostSiren Noel, on 06 May 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Rave/Dances on the same night! YES YES YES!

Its a great way to slim down lines, madness, etc.!

THis is GENIUS. Masquerade and Anime Hell and Midnight Madness can reign supreme on Saturday once again!

As it should be.

and Mistress, I LOVE your idea!

more activities at night that keep many of the attendees interacting on a sober level. more panels at night and showings!

and FOOD. YES!

and more apparel that is Japanese! For sure.

Guys, I love these ideas.

Ditto :)

#84 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62376

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

But guys, the food thing is a no go. Staff has explained why multiple times. So I think that's just something we have to accept.

But yes, raves on the same night is perfect.

#85 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 06 May 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

But guys, the food thing is a no go. Staff has explained why multiple times. So I think that's just something we have to accept.

But yes, raves on the same night is perfect.

What have they said? Why is it a no-go?

#86 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostMistress of Ecclectia, on 06 May 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

What have they said? Why is it a no-go?

1) The hotel is in the food business, too. Therefore, they reserve the exclusive right to be the ones providing food on the premises. (Not unlike their policies on sleeping in the hotel anywhere but a hotel room, actually.)

2) Once upon a time, Acen had a con suite, where all congoers could go to get food and pop. We tried it... never again. The amount of destruction, wasted food, general mess... No.

2 is significant, but 1 is the deciding factor.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#87 User is offline   Mistress of Ecclectia 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on 06 May 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

1) The hotel is in the food business, too. Therefore, they reserve the exclusive right to be the ones providing food on the premises. (Not unlike their policies on sleeping in the hotel anywhere but a hotel room, actually.)

2) Once upon a time, Acen had a con suite, where all congoers could go to get food and pop. We tried it... never again. The amount of destruction, wasted food, general mess... No.

2 is significant, but 1 is the deciding factor.

#2 May have worked if it were tweaked, and #1 is unfortunate. The hotel food is way over-priced. I can see where it might go wrong, though. *Sigh* Oh, well. At least there are other restaurants within driving distance. It's just bogus that con-goers have to pay so much for food in the hotel ><

This post has been edited by Mistress of Ecclectia: 06 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

#88 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postchompzie, on 05 May 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

I also think ACen should start selling one-day badges online. Maybe make the one-day badges Will Call pick-up and only mail the full weekend badges if that's an issue, but I really think it's about time ACen started selling one day badges like a lot of different conventions do.

This would be AWESOME. Being able to wait in a shorter will-call line for a single day pass you've prepurchased would be great, and give the one-day members more time during the day to do their con activities. As-is, one-day members end up missing any morning (or possibly early afternoon depending on the line situation) panels and events due to being stuck in line. That's not very fair to them.

#89 User is offline   AnimeGeek120 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59499

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Okay, I apologize if this sounds stupid/doesn't make sense, but related to the idea of having hand stamps for thing (such as autographs) what about having a stamp card?

Like there could be spots for Autograph #1, #2, etc. on one side and the other side could be used for events such as the rave and soap bubbles and masquerade or other big event that might benefit from a ticket/stamp system. And there would be different colors based on priority (ex. red=1st wave, blue=2nd wave, green=3rd wave, etc.) This could be used to cut down on line problems.

And since there seem to a fair number of people of the mind set that the raver/dance crowd that just show up for those events are the source of a lot of problems, why not try making those event advance registration only? (i.e-you would have to pre-reg for the con and select an option to have a sticker/stamp/whatever put on the badge that would admit you to the event.)

I understand that would not be fair to the people who don't cause problems and for one reason or another are unable to pre-reg, and I feel bad about that, but this way would curtail those people who just come to party (or just force them to pre-reg).

Even if none of these ideas are used, I still want to vote for a stamp/ticket system for autographs and big events.

Thanks for listening.

#90 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I mostly skimmed through the thread so if my suggestions are very similar or have been addressed, I want to apologize but before I give my own ideas, I will skim through some ideas I agree with here.

View Postkenkendazo, on 02 May 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Stop claiming/advertising the con is family friendly. It is not. I personally don't care how its advertised, but don't sell me one thing but claim it is another.

Yes, Yes, a Thousand Times, yes!!! Look, I know there are family friendly events and even an ACen kids, but let's face it, you can do whatever the hell you want to claim it's a family friendly convention, but overall it's not! At the very best, maybe it's a PG-13 convention, but anything lower, hahahaha no. Let's see, there was a Human Centipede cosplay this year, there's ALWAYS multiple variations of Pedo-Bear roaming around (to those that cosplay as him, I'm fine with it, but please don't get pictures with children, I'm not an overly sensitive guy, but I think it's wrong to joke like that involving real kids), half-naked women and guys, bloody people, corpses, hentai merchandisers, etc. I think it's hilarious the majority of this stuff is allowed but one year a guy I know wore a Marijuana leaf and they turn around and say "I'm sorry, you can't wear this, it's a family convention." Um double standards anyone? Also, let's not forget that there was once a robot that said "Sex Robot" on the side of him and they made him cover it up. Guys, if this is going to be family con you're either going to have to tell these cosplayers to "cover up", "lighten up on the gore", etc. or allow this other stuff as long as it's not to the extreme of people going full blown nude, making racist gestures, overly sacrilegious, or let's pretend someone cosplays or has some kind of cosplay that is in direct hate of another person at the convention (let's pretend person X has a "I Hate STVO because of 'insert endless reasons'" sign and is dressed up like me. Hahaha. But replace me with someone else or yourself.) Personally I don't think ACen should censor cosplays except for the extents I listed and ones that are otherwise illegal in our country (the pot leaf was sold in an American store and not made of actual pot.)

In this thread and others, the panelists don't always keep their panels "PG-rated" and honestly, unless it is promoted to be that way, they shouldn't have to. There's an idea right there, give a rating to panels or have the panelists warn the attendees (mostly the parent taking their kid) that they may use certain language during panels. I know they do that for late night 18+ panels, but they should play it safe and let those who attend know that things may be inappropriate in their panels.

With this let ACen go mostly anywhere they want with the panels and other such content but try to keep kid/family-friendly panels during the day time and continue keeping the obviously more raunchy/hentai panels around during the night time. I say let families know that there are things to do during the day which are appropriate for the younger ones but let them know that this is not 100% family friendly.

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 03 May 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

I think one reason they spread it out is the cost of renting the whole center. At least that's the impression I'm given. Also where would you put some of the panels since there isn't room in the center for panels outside of three rooms in the back.

Regarding the Crystal Ball:

1. Have it catered. When someone buys the ticket have it where they have three choices of meal, beef, poltry/fish, or vegitarian.

2. Hire a wedding DJ who can play slow and fast songs.

3. Use one of the grand ballrooms for more dancing space.

As an attendee of this year's Crystal Ball, I love these ideas and agree 100%. Honestly to spend $25 and not at least get a meal or at the very least more food (cheese/meat tray and other snacks besides Pretzels/Chex mix) is kind of silly. If not food, the DJ should have been much better. No offense to the guy but he never honored any of my requests or my group's requests because "I don't have it." If you're going to charge, maybe get an upscale band to play? One year I heard they had a nice violinist that would do orchestrated versions of Final Fantasy and other video game/anime music. Also, I went to the Waltz workshop and took a ball room dance lesson in my hometown and am rather disappointed that there wasn't enough ball room dance songs for the occasion. I practiced the dances I did learn with my date, but otherwise felt like I did it for nothing since the dance decided not to do it. Dance space I felt was alright, could have been a little more I suppose, otherwise I didn't have a real issue. Honestly I like the idea of the Crystal Ball and would give it another shot, but they need to step their game up next time.

Voxx, I love this idea. My only concern (which I may be way off with) is that I was wondering if Hardcore Synergy and Soap Bubble had similar staff members? I know Soap Bubble is headed by someone different but I wasn't sure about the crew. Even so, I'm sure this is feasible. I would suggest the Soap Bubble remains all ages and at the Hyatt while Hardcore Synergy like Voxx said should 18+ ID'S AND BADGES REQUIRED at another hotel where it would make it less easy to sneak into. Saturday can be the Masquerade, Anime Hell, and many other popular programs or if it isn't an issue to the dance staff, they could reverse it where dancing is Saturday and Masquerade/Anime Hell/etc. is on Friday? I also have a second idea for the dances which I will get to in a bit but let me get onto another masquerade suggestion that some may or may not like here among other suggestions.

My Additional Suggestions

* The Masquerade: Okay, this year we had a serious problem with the Masquerade being cancelled. While I think Soap Bubble should have spared an hour or two (it wasn't the promoter or the crew's fault, it was who ever made the call on the ACen end but more importantly the person who caused the alarm to go off's fault.) One giant issue that may have prevented the entire cancellation of the Masquerade is the multiple delays that started it late. I can't remember all that went on prior (I believe one was the FMA wedding followed by concerts.) Now I don't want to be a pushy grouch, but honestly they need to enforce the times. Kind of like at work, school, catching a flight, etc. if you're late well you're going to have to use what time you have or just not go. That should definitely apply to concerts. You are given the 1-2 hours or whatever time frame you're given for a reason, use it wisely. Once your time is up, pass it over. If you feel you need to do an encore, go to the ACen staff and demand that they let you go back on at another time. One way to ultimately avoid any delays for the masquerade is have it open up Saturday either at 10 am or 11 am? Concerts can be moved to another area or an area near by but allow the masquerade almost all of the time it can have as it is a premiere ACen event. If it goes from 11 am to 9 pm (which I'd say, ACen improve your time management, lol) then let it go from that frame. If it happens to end early at 3 PM instead of 4 PM, maybe they can do something like filler panels? My ideas are if someone missed out on seeing Anime Music videos or perhaps Anime Hell (and the person running it is willing to put on an encore), consider doing that? That or they can just be creative with the dead time before they have a concert or The Soap Bubble.

* Dance Alternative Hang-Outs: Okay so not everyone at ACen likes the Soap Bubble/Hardcore Synergy because it gets crowded or it's too loud. This is an idea I came up with from one year I was at Wizard World and from the Cyphan Holiday Party at the Hyatt in 2011. My idea is if we did Voxx's idea of the Saturday Masquerade/entertainment night, perhaps in the Hyatt or somewhere else we have a 21+ social. What I was thinking (and if anyone on staff might be interested in the idea, please PM me as I wouldn't mind trying to make it happen) is take a few different aspects of the con and have one little "party room" that consists of food, cash bar, 3 or 4 TVs of video games, board games, and a small area to dance. Depending on the size of the room, maybe make it an event where you have to get tickets or even set it to something such as "1 in, 1 out." While I think a mini-dance floor should be welcomed, it's not a rave and if you think it would create that much of a distraction, then forget that. The main thing of this is to create somewhat of a social environment for the older audiences and have more space. Not everyone is as open to going to hotel room parties, so why not try this? I was also thinking this could be in place for the nights they have Hardcore Synergy (18+) on Friday night but make this one for younger audiences and then it would be available to the 18 or 21+ (I'm leaning towards the latter but whatever) on Saturday when the all-ages Soap Bubble occurs. Yes I know game rooms exist, but this is to create more of a social and meet other people.

* Reconnect the Console/Arcade Rooms: It was a lot more fun that way last year. I'd prefer it to return to the Hyatt but if they can't that's fine. But please, let video games be in one spot.

* Bring Back Midwest Karaoke Madness: No offense to the Karaoke groups this year (Sunday's I can't judge because I wasn't there) but I really miss this group. Last year I felt they created a lot more energy and excitement than the groups on Friday and Saturday. They allowed all types of music be it video games, anime, American animated series, movies, popular American songs, etc. I'll be honest, each time I passed by the group on Friday and Saturday, it was relatively silent and they didn't seem as enthused. I understand they want to keep their karaoke in the spirit of an anime convention and that's fine and all but it's like I said to those who think people should stick to Anime Cosplay and Anime Photoshoots only, yes this convention is primarily anime, but it's also about having fun, making friends, and good times. Yes you can drive around Rosemont and find a karaoke bar, but not everyone wants to do that. I could also say people can go anywhere else in the area for video games or watching anime or meeting up with friends too, but do they want to do that? If you don't bring back Midwest Karaoke Madness, I do ask of the group(s) that are with ACen next year, please allow some popular songs that several will know. I felt that's what made the convention fun last year people would switch it up with both anime, cartoons, and regular songs. Lots of cheers and lots of laughs. I'm sorry you guys, I didn't feel it this year. Also, I wasn't there very long and I'm not going to blame the people running the karaoke, but it did look like the people singing had to look at the lyrics on the projection screen as opposed to a TV or pedestal in front of them. If that's so, please fix that issue because Midwest Karaoke didn't have that problem.

* Autographs: Won't get into this one too long because I didn't really try for Chris Sabat's because I thought I'd have to wait too long or miss out. Only 50 people could meet Sabat? I don't know if this was the decision of him or ACen, but I think they need to negotiate a better deal with something like this. I had a fear if I waited in line something like this would happen and decided to skip out (Chris I love you man, but only people I'll wait that long/get in line super early for is someone Michael J. Fox or Stephen Spielberg). Again, I'm not mad because I didn't have to wait in line but I could imagine the angry faces of those who were told they weren't going to meet him. Hell, if they have to charge a fee, maybe they should consider that? I personally rather pay money than deal with 2-6 hour lines (yes, I waited 6 hours for Steve Blum/Beau Billingslea. Never again will I wait that long, even for free.)

Anywho, kudos to anyone who actually read all I had to suggest. I loved ACen this year, I really did! No one is perfect though and for anything in life, improvements can be made. Things go through trial and error. I really have liked all the panels, the set-up, oh yeah, and to the lady who handled registration this year, KEEP HER!!!!! She did an excellent job! I know I was a little upset the badges were a little later than promise and I want to apologize to her again for being a little angry, but she pulled through and all my friends received theirs in the mail and to those who had to get in line on Friday or Saturday that went early had minimal waiting time. A round of applause to ACen getting registration right this year. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway for that Dance Alternative Idea I have, it's a big if, but IF anyone on the staff would like to consider this idea and maybe have me help, please PM me or if you know me on Facebook, send me a message. That's one I would actually be happy to help make happen if I can and ACen is willing.

Edit: Oops! Missed this one!

View Postchompzie, on 05 May 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yes! While I personally go all three days, not everyone else does! This is something they should work on. Heck, even if they can't do it during the first tier, I think this option should be made available for second tier badges at least. I know so many friends willing to go for a day (they either can't afford or don't want to go 3 days) but sometimes are put off by having to go on the day of the convention to buy the badge.

This post has been edited by STVO: 06 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users