Anime Central Forums: 2012 Gripes thread - Anime Central Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2012 Gripes thread Post what you want fixed in ACen here!

#61 User is offline   rrtycoon2 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57262

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

I won't repeat other gripes already posted, seeing as they've been thoroughly brought to light. There were two possible issues that I haven't seen posted, specifically regarding the Program Guide (the physical copy to be exact...I didn't have access to the smartphone version due to my unwillingness to conform). While searching for the descriptions of certain panels in order to decide where to go next, I noticed that the last panel listed was "The Influence of the Monkey King" despite there being several other panels (non guest-of-honor mind you) that came after that in alphabetical order. I can only assume one of two things happened:

1. The remainder of the listing was cut off to make room for the full page ad
2. All of the panels that would have been listed after the Monkey King panel simply didn't submit a description.

Not a deal breaker as I probably should've been able to guess what the panel was about based solely on the title (I'm guessing Zombies 101 wasn't about singing sunflowers...)

The other Program Guide issue was the alignment and placement of times for the panel programming. If someone (myself, for example) was silly enough to compare the two pages of a given day's schedule side by side as it was presented, that person would be in for a rude surprise if the assumption was made that the two charts were aligned...which they sort of weren't. I know that a shift of 30 minutes isn't much, but my eyes just don't handle shifts like that very well. Still probably just a bad print or something (although I'd suggest adding times on both sides of each page, as going across from a time on a single page is a bit annoying...and I know times are listed in the following pages, but remember that some panels were flat out unlisted so...)

Again, just minor gripes I'm adding to the big stuff, but things to consider nonetheless.
"Just because I'm older than you, heavier than you, and have less hair on my head than you doesn't mean I'm some cranky old guy who thinks he knows more about life than you (even if I actually do)"
"I'm like an elephant: big, bald, and easily scared away by things that come near me"

#62 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

As a general comment to our attendees posting in this thread: Getting ideas from a multitude of people can be a good way to see different viewpoints on how an issue may be handled better in the future. So while gripes let us know about issues you may have had, also balancing that with constructive criticism and possible ways to address the situation are even better :)

#63 User is offline   chompzie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 19314

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 29 April 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

unless you are a cosplayer that puts your badge away after showing it ;o

That's why I had mine attached to a tiny purse! When I had the purse strap over my shoulder, the badge was visible and easily accessible, and I could set aside the bag for photos easily. :) But I understand not everyone has that option.
I love guinea pigs and cats and Sgt. Frog.

#64 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

I think one thing that might help would be promoting awareness of the forums. I'm only now realizing how helpful it would've been to be connected here- there were several events I didn't even know were happening, nor did I know there was an app for scheduling. Beyond that, just..trying to communicate more. With the staff, with the attendees, with everybody.

It also might be helpful to have a second photoshoot schedule by time or something. I very much appreciate putting the list back in the program, but cross-referencing it with the panel schedule was a bit of a pain.
derp

#65 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

I think if Acen plans on depending on this guide book thing they need more ways for it to be accessed by those of us without smartphones. Like projecting slides of changed times at the con center or the hyatt. Or even just being more prompt on posting the day's panels outside of the room in the morning / whenever it needs updating. No one should have to go to customer service just to double check if a panel is running.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#66 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

About the comments on Japanese guests:
Acen this year coincided with Golden Week in Japan, which probably makes it harder to find guests willing to come over, as that is a major holiday week in Japan.

PS: Looking for missing persons or children is a possibility. They may have also been looking to catch counterfeit badges, but this is just my personal speculation.

This post has been edited by JediNight: 30 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

#67 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

The line rule was totally NOT enforced whatsoever! Instead people started what they called a 'pre-line' at 4-something when we were 'allowed' to line up for the LM.C concert at 7:00. I talked to one women who told me about the rule and assured me it was being enforced this year. Already having heard about the inefficiency of lines I got anxious and checked the line to find it was already super long at 5:00. I went up to the IRT members to ask what the heck was going on (Including the women who initially reassured me of the line rule) and they advised me to disregard the 'pre-line' and that since it wasn't a real line at 7:59 (show got pushed back to 8)if I decided to just walk to the front of all of them to get into the actual line there was nothing they could do about it. This news got around fast and thus two lines formed on either side of the walkway. This resulted in death glares and such. However when it was time to officially line up IRT named Paladin went against what the other IRT members intended when people in the pre-line complained and without announcing it the line up, sneakily tried to lead it into the 'actual' line. Luckily my friend saw them whispering and we were quick on the draw.

Don't get me wrong, a part of guilty me felt super bad for being so cut-throat but this system kind of set the grounds for that. It doesn't solve the problem if anything it just creates tension between the people lining up. I know the people in the pre-line were waiting a long time but myself and all the others in the opposite line felt equally as wronged simply because we were doing what we were supposed to and in the end got screwed for following the rules because others disregarded them or they weren't enforced.

#68 User is offline   brandysaur 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61536

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

May I just say that being harassed by a Derpy when leaving the Pony shoot on Saturday has made me never, ever, ever want to cosplay Ponies again.

In general: The disrespectful behavior, drunkenness, screaming outside my hotel room ALL NIGHT, constant people knocking on my door when I was trying to sleep, the underage drinking party next to our room, an IRT member telling me I was not allowed on an half-empty elevator when I was attempting to go up a few floors with all my bags, and the general disorganization of the panel timings/line formations make me cringe. I am only glad my group decided to opt out of Masquerade this year.

The Crystal Ball was a ridiculous DISASTER. I cannot believe I paid 25 dollars for pretzels, water, and a dance floor as big as the kitchen in my two bedroom apartment. The DJ had NO music selection. Fake dubstep and rejecting any and all music requests does not a formal dance make. There was not a single ballroom dance song played, when that was what was advertised. Then, later, after quelling my disappointment with socialization, the music just STOPPED halfway through. The whole dance was a joke. We left early angry, disappointed, and disgusted with the overpriced, non-substantial affair. I will NEVER be attending the ball again.
ACen 2013 Cosplay List:
Friday: Fem!Captain Hammer
Saturday: Sarah Jane Smith
Sunday: Poison Ivy
Possible Ball Cosplay: Formal!Ivy

Follow me on tumblr

#69 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

Uuuugh, video gaming. I feel as though video gaming has turned into a place almost exclusively for tournament players. Even if that isn't the intention, that is the sort of crowd that shows up. It's really a shame. I like to play fighting games casually, but I don't have people at my level to play them with. If possible, I would like to see some encouraged casual play. I also wasn't a fan of the layout. It did not make it easy to watch the tournaments. For instance, Skull girls was on top of a stage and the seats were at a lower level. Well you can't see the game like that. The players are in the way.

The mecha fan panel was late to start because you guys had double booked the panelists. Please be careful about that.

I accidentally got into the middle of the line for the Video Games Orchestra because it didn't look as though it went out the door. So, my gripe is that you guys should be better about lines, I guess.

There wasn't a nice pocket sized guide to the panels. I don't have a nice cell phone and can't use your app. I would really appreciate a pocket guide.

The way board gaming, video gaming, and card/tabletop gaming was spread out was a bit odd...I am of the opinion that general "play" should be together in the same area, even if the mediums are different. You positioned them where you did because you wanted to keep panels just between the Hyatt and the Double Tree, I believe. I suppose that's fine, but I'd like to see it done better. How many panels were even in the Double Tree anyways? Couldn't you have put them where you put the anime showings? That would've kept them all in the Hyatt.

The first rave was extremely late to start and my friends were upset about it. Boo.

I actually had more fun at this Acen than I've ever had before and I'm really stretching for things to be upset about.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#70 User is offline   Dark Kanine 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60877

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Ok my first con,

Pros: I loved what was there on art and I was surprised along looking at videos and manga i found hentai yaoi and yuri. I found it funny. I was able to meet SkyDiddy and KwasiaMonster. The people at the convention were very open armed which was very nice. IRT were pretty decent I don't know why people are complaining much.

Cons: Well, 2 things; 1, i'm not gonna let the fire alarm go for a while because it kept me from the soap bubble, and 2 during lunch i sat down to watch my lil pony at the brony con set up and the girl next to me gave the dirtiest look and said in a snotty tone " can I help you?" i blankly replied no but kept thinking what pole was up hers?
Dark Kanine (Steam)
Dark_Kanine (PSN)

#71 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61282

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

The line for the Kpop panel was completely mismanaged because there wasn't an IRT person outside the room. We wound up with two lines instead of one and had to merge them. I was told the IRT in charge of that area was inside the Layton panel room instead of outside; was this true? Other than that, the IRT were really friendly and helpful. (:

This isn't really a gripe about staff or con events, but I did also notice that some people weren't exactly...friendly like at other cons. I'd ask someone what panel a line was for, and would get an annoyed response. Someone nearby perked up when I was talking to my brother about where an event was held, but when I asked the guy if he knew where the actual event was, he blew us off with a rude remark. I would browse artist alley tables and sometimes the artist wouldn't look up and tell me "Hi!" to welcome me to their table; they would keep drawing or sit in silence, and I'd have to initiate a conversation (which is hard enough when you're introverted like I am). I was at a vendor booth when the seller called out to a couple of awesome cosplayers because he wanted a quick photo, but they blew him off as well (and he shouted loud enough to be heard). In fact, the vendors were friendlier than most of the people I encountered. The Deleter vendor guy was nice; he started my pen for me and showed me how to care for it when I asked how.
One half of PinStripes Studios!
Our Etsy shop

Gearing up for our 2013 convention tour!
Confirmed locations: Anime-ZAP, Peoria, Illinois (January 4-6), Kitsune Kon, Appleton, Wisconsin (March 22-24)

#72 User is offline   Kikai 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60168

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostEkqo, on 30 April 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I would browse artist alley tables and sometimes the artist wouldn't look up and tell me "Hi!" to welcome me to their table; they would keep drawing or sit in silence, and I'd have to initiate a conversation (which is hard enough when you're introverted like I am).

I don't know if this is the case for everyone, but for me as an artist sometimes I get so in to my drawing that I don't notice someone is there. Really. I always try to look up and say hi to people who come by (and sometimes they give me a rude look or don't even answer) but sometimes I genuinely do not notice that someone has come by, especially if they are silent and are just looking. I'm just saying that most of the times the artists really aren't trying to ignore you and I hate that some people think that -- give a little benefit of the doubt that we may be in our own world when drawing or working on commissions.

#73 User is offline   Kyofishie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62058

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

My one complaint was that for panels, they never were ready and always delayed. The opening line seemed to be "Sorry we're having technical difficulties, its gonna be 10-15 minutes." For example the fact that a panel ended at 2 and the next one was supposed to start at 2 seemed a little silly.

My idea would be
1:00-Panel Start
1:50-Panel End, people leave and next panelist have around 10 minutes to get ready?
2:00 Panel start :P

I know it cuts panels by 10 minutes but most panels get cut 10-15 minutes anyway while people are still trying to set up.

Had loads of fun though :D

#74 User is offline   laceyarsenic 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61397

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostSiren Noel, on 29 April 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I gotta hand it to all the staff at ACen and hotels. They have patience and usually quite a bit of courtesy.

However. Lines. I realize there are loads of people at ACen. But figure out a new method for lines. I am sorry to say I am not clever enough to suggest a new method to anyone. However, I notice that lines are always and most likely always will be the biggest gripe of all.

Also, people partying in the HALLWAYS OF THE HOTEL. Not just the Hyatt. Have some respect for other guests in the hotel who are not obsessed with shinigami, samurai, and madoka magica whats-its-face. Sorry to come across as crass, but I have had it with most people. I do not want to generalize all of ACen goers to be disrespectful, filthy, and rude. But it's coming close to that. I noticed also, damages to the garden areas around the Hyatt and Convention Center, litter up the wazoo (ALL the litter noticed was ACen related) This is ridiculous. Be mature in the aspect of respect. There are pilots, flight crew, business men and women and other guests at all of the surrounding hotels who put up with this nonsense. Get a grip. Either, we can start a how-to manual of how to NOT be an absolute ruffian (I said it.) and we can all be taught like children on how to behave, or, it can be spread far and wide, that all of this is UNACCEPTABLE. Also, people walking IN the busy streets of Chicago, and again, partying in the hallways or in hotel rooms, but at a horribly outrageous volume. This is disgusting behavior. Have fun, but within reason. You aren't an animal. I may never return. I'm one person. So that is certainly no serious threat, but I am ashamed to even be a part of the ACen scene when I see this.

The fire alarm incident. Dunno who did it. Dunno why. Sorry to say, I can only assume (like EVERY year) the incident was caused by an idiot. It takes an effort to set the alarm off. So none of this "accident" nonsense will suffice for me. Luckily, the evacuation/etc. was handled well. Thanks to clear headed staff and emergency personnel.

IRT and ACen customer service staff, merchants and vendors, etc. were amazing as always and really put on an amazing event for us all to enjoy. You all have my sincerest thanks.

Alright. /EndRant.

I would like to 2nd this gripe. I'm all for having fun,and if ppl want to party that's fine;but some become too crazy and it's embarassing to be part of something when ppl can't behave like human beings.
Personal Opinion: It feels almost like ACEN is becoming a "party con". I enjoy raves, but I feel it should stay in the rave and not be in the hallways of the hotel.
I don't understand why someone would think it would be funny to pull the fire alarm; but thanks to that I worry that Hyatt is gonna kick ACEN out (I heard rumors that it has almost happened before). At the very least it's going to increase badge prices...again.
Even the damn cat is in on it

#75 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostKikai, on 30 April 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I don't know if this is the case for everyone, but for me as an artist sometimes I get so in to my drawing that I don't notice someone is there. Really. I always try to look up and say hi to people who come by (and sometimes they give me a rude look or don't even answer) but sometimes I genuinely do not notice that someone has come by, especially if they are silent and are just looking. I'm just saying that most of the times the artists really aren't trying to ignore you and I hate that some people think that -- give a little benefit of the doubt that we may be in our own world when drawing or working on commissions.

I know that can be the case sometimes, but not everyone was drawing. And not everyone was unfriendly; there was one table that called my shirt out as I browsed their table, and pointed out some art they had from the series I was wearing. I bought art from one girl that seemed SO happy about my purchase that I wondered if I was the first in a while (but that couldn't have been, her art was fantastic, lol). So, not everyone ignored me, but quite a few did, enough to where I was more interested in the vendors than the alley (which was opposite of what I expected to do, haha, so I surprised myself). I guess I just wished for some more interaction, to help me out since I was constantly overwhelmed by noise and people. I saw a good deal of interesting art, too; it wasn't all straight-up anime, and the chainmail people were really awesome (I was too broke, is all xD).
Our Etsy shop

Confirmed locations: Anime-ZAP, Peoria, Illinois (January 4-6), Kitsune Kon, Appleton, Wisconsin (March 22-24)

#76 User is offline   laceyarsenic 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61397

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostJediNight, on 30 April 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

As a general comment to our attendees posting in this thread: Getting ideas from a multitude of people can be a good way to see different viewpoints on how an issue may be handled better in the future. So while gripes let us know about issues you may have had, also balancing that with constructive criticism and possible ways to address the situation are even better :)

ACEN did a good job controlling the line to the grandball room.
They tried their best to keep everyone updated (I know it was hard since concerts and fashion shows were delayed due to performers) I appreciate them posting signs for the line on when the line started and when the actual concert started.

Getting such big name brands and companies to come to the con is awesome! I love hearing from anime producing companies.

I know there are some gripes about staff not being friendly...admittedly some of them seemed a little "short" but that's because they were trying to control crowds and lines and ppl wouldn't flipping listen and do as they're told!!! (seriously ppl- when staff says: please hug the wall, means FLIPPING STAND AGAISNT THE WALL, not in the middle of the hallway or blocking a door!!!!). So being a little "hard-butt" was necessary! Cause nobody listened the first 3 times it was said with a smile. IRT and volunteers did they're best.
Ppl need to remember that they are not being paid to do this! They are giving up their free time to be of service to ccon-goers!

IDEA/SUGGESTION: maybe put "arrows" out of duck tape on the ground to make a "line" to follow for certain rooms, that way ppl know which direction it starts (some ppl started at the wrong side of a line that wrapped around-like the LMC panel)?
Maybe different colored tape for different panelrooms?

THANK YOU ACEN IRT AND VOLUNTEERS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK AND LOVE YOU PUT INTO THE CON!!!
Even the damn cat is in on it

#77 User is offline   PootKi 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 96

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostBakaBarbarian, on 29 April 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Let's just call this con what it is: an excuse for a lot of people to behave really badly. In the past few years, I've experienced (and talked to others who have experienced) the same issues over and over. Girls and women getting groped, harrassed, and propositioned. Young teens making potentially life-changing mistakes. Room parties out of control. Tons of underage drinking. Endless property damage. Boorish, drunken behavior. The yearly drama, in this case the fire alarm. There's another thread going around where people are debating what to do about random glomping that causes physical harm and property damage. Why do we even need to ask this question? It's physical assault, and ACEN's response needs to be: it gets reported to the police, period, and after you get out of jail, you're never allowed back at ACEN again.

People will get away with what you let them get away with, and unfortunately, ACEN has been allowing bad behavior to go on year after year as the con gets bigger. There's a lot of hand-wringing and shaking of heads, and a lot of people saying there's nothing people can do about it. So what happens? The behavior gets worse next year as the con's reputation gets worse and worse.

This says nothing about the lines, the lack of communication, the last-minute changes, and the staff who are apparently the last to be told about changes. ACEN has never run according to schedule, but that's a charming little conundrum compared to a lot of the larger problems.

If you go to smaller cons, you hear a lot about ACEN's reputation. It's not a good reputation, mostly because of the stupid behavior of many of the con-goers. I gave ACEN one last chance this year, after coming for many years. I think I'm done. I'm tired of worrying about being assaulted. I'm tired of seeing the grounds surrounding the Hyatt and convention center full of kids too young (either in body or in mind) to be out on their own and out of control. I'm tired of seeing this convention as a big frat party that happens to have anime as its excuse for existing.

If it's the rave that attracts the idiocy, then get rid of it. Please. People obviously aren't coming for the dealer's room, I saw way more people outside it than in, and half the dealer's room was a junk sale anyway. The other half was so overpriced, presumably because Rosemont is too expensive for most vendors unless they're really professional or don't care about professionalism at all. Many of the folks with Sunday-only badges had no business at an anime convention; some of them didn't even know what Hello Kitty was. The artist alley needs to be pared down by at least half, it's too overwhelming and I saw far too many people turning around and walking out without buying anything because they were so overwhelmed.

People aren't coming for content like the panels and guests, if all they are doing is trashing the place and getting drunk. The panel rooms are far too tiny in some cases, anyway. It's impossible to line up for panels without having to go through waves of people behaving badly, many of whom haven't even bothered to get badges because all they're planning on doing is meeting up with friends in the public areas and acting stupid. On Sunday, I heard a lot of complaints that the police presence was such that it killed all the fun. If that's the kind of "fun" ACEN is known for, count me out.

I want to come to a con in which people are primarily there to appreciate anime and Japanese culture, not the culture of "look at me." I want to come to a convention that is about quality, not quantity. I guess my only options are smaller cons, unless ACEN caps its attendance and severely cracks down on people acting stupid. Yes, it's possible to enforce a culture that is respectful of others while still allowing people their age-appropriate fun. I don't know if ACEN can do it without changing its name and other radical overhauls, because at this point, the reputation is going to be hard to fight. There are ways to get people to focus more on the anime and Japanese culture and less on one-upping each other in bad behavior, it's just a question of having the willpower to enforce rules, throw a lot of people out and revoke badges, call the police on those who are acting badly in both con and public areas, cap attendance, change the dealer room and artist alley policies, ditch the rave or radically change it, and make this con like it was years ago, when we were all getting together primarily in celebration of, y'know...anime.

Been going to ACEN since 2003 and this pretty much sums up my feelings about the con now.

I'll be going again next year though, perhaps I'll join staff next year to help right the ship called ACEN.
~Acen Attendee since 2003~
~Cosplayer since 2002~

#78 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

This was my 6th year at the con, and definitely one of my favorites so far. I already touched on the few gripes I had in the compliment thread, but Ill add them here too.

The guidebook app was AMAZINGLY useful. My only complaint was that whenever I got a text it would freeze up my phone and tell me I had an error and guidebook needed to force close. Not sure if this was a guidebook app issue, or an anime central guide in the app issue, but something to look into for next year.

It sucked that you had to cap most of the lines for signings at 50 people, but 50 people takes about 60 minutes to get through, so understandable. Maybe next year you could try and schedule the guests for 2 hour signings instead of 1? Or at least just the more famous guests. As to everyone complaining that lines started ahead of time, I ended up at the front of both the Travis Willingham and Panty and Stocking signings just because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was just in the area checking out what lines were there when they announced those, and both times it was only roughly 15 minutes before they allowed us to go in. Though I did try to get in the Chris Sabat line a good while before it started and it was already huge. So no luck with that one :/

The Crystal Ball went off without a hitch, and I don't really have any complaints, these are more like suggestions. First, I wouldn't mind seeing some Doritos or other chips for snacks, not a fan of Chex Mix and a little more variety would have been nice (though I was thankful there was anything at all). Second, the music. It was good overall, but I didn't recognize a lot of it, and I listen to the radio everyday so I know most popular songs from the 70s/80s to today. Would have liked to see some more variety and current music.

But these are all little things and overall I had a great time!
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#79 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostTombolo, on 30 April 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I think one thing that might help would be promoting awareness of the forums. I'm only now realizing how helpful it would've been to be connected here- there were several events I didn't even know were happening, nor did I know there was an app for scheduling. Beyond that, just..trying to communicate more. With the staff, with the attendees, with everybody.

It also might be helpful to have a second photoshoot schedule by time or something. I very much appreciate putting the list back in the program, but cross-referencing it with the panel schedule was a bit of a pain.

I think ACen shouldn't 100% rely on the forums, since not everyone uses the forums, but they should put more stuff up on the website or send more emails with more updates. There were tons of people who didn't know about the Avacyn Restored Pre-Release Tournament and were really frustrated that they didn't know because it was only on the forums and wasn't advertised anywhere else.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#80 User is offline   A True Elsewhere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17804

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostShukumei, on 29 April 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

I also agree with Lina about the lines. That is really my main complaint. My friend and I know how crazy lines can get, and the FMA panel was the only thing we wanted to do today before we left, so we arrived two hours early. While talking with a staffer, she politely asked that we show up thirty minutes before the panel started to get in line and she confirmed that they would be enforcing that rule. Trying to be good congoers, we busied ourselves in another panel and periodically checked in the hall to make sure others weren't lining up already. My friend saw a line forming, and the staffer told her it was for a different panel. When it was forty-five minutes until the start, we left the panel to line up and the line was already wrapped down the hall, and past the escalators, and continuing to grow. Although we were incredibly disheartened, we were lucky enough to get into the panel.

I saw this same thing Saturday while relaxing in the panels hall in the Hyatt. A girl was incredibly early for the (I think) Chris Sabat panel, and after maybe half an hour a few other people came to wait too. It wasn't long before that when a staffer came to tell them to come back thirty minutes before the panel. Not ten minutes after that, a whole group came to wait along the wall. When they were asked if they were waiting a panel, the group jokingly said that they just happened to be "relaxing" outside the room of said panel. A little bit after, the girl from before came back and asked if they were waiting for it; she looked obviously heartbroken, and I felt so bad for her.

My point (tl;dr): the thirty minute line up rule is ridiculous and impossible to enforce. The staffers were only doing their jobs (I had no issues with any staffers), and as someone who worked for IRT last year, I understand how difficult staffing can be. But the system is incredibly flawed. In a nut shell, it condones bad behavior, and punishes those who try to follow the rules. Even when my friend and I were trying to obey the rules, we still showed up fifteen minutes before we were "supposed" to. I urge, implore, and beg higher ups to come up with a different system.

^THIS.

I was hesitant when I read about this new thing in the forums before the start of the convention. Now I am sad to say that my intuition was correct.

There has to be a better way. I'll mull it over with my AMKE peeps, and we'll help you out, Acen, if we can. That goes for every congoer, too! Make suggestions!

The panel lines, and the mess-up with the LM.C/Eyeshine concerts. Really? Really? You didn't know about the stage setup beforehand? Couldn't you have gone over this in the morning at LEAST? Better communication between guests and Acen staff please. That being said, if there is indeed good communication between Acen guest relations staff and guests (as I'm sure there is) please, please, PLEASE COMMUNICATE EFFICIENTLY WITH OTHER ACEN STAFF IN PROPER FORMAT. The delayed stage set-up and therefore miscommunication with the Eyeshine/LM.C concerts was, in short, RIDICULOUS. I'm sure this opinion is shared by many congoers.

Still, the LM.C concert and the Angelic Pretty fashion show were amazing during the events in question. Fix the set-up and communication issues, and everything will go smoothly next year.

Thanks, Acen, for bringing such wonderful guests. I sincerely hope LM.C wasn't scared away.
ACen '07 Cosplay: Mamimi from FLCL
ACen '08 Cosplay: Akari-chan from Aria the Animation
ACen '09 Cosplay: Mithos from Tales of Symphonia
ACen '10 Cosplay: Shinooka from Oofuri/Big Windup!
ACen '11 Cosplay: Ayase from No Money (Okane ga nai!)
ACen '11 Cosplay: Adele from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
ACen '12 Cosplay: TinTin from 'The Adventures of TinTin'
ACen '13 Cosplay: Hibari from Senran Kagura

#81 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

I apologize for waiting too early for panels. I honest-to-goodness somehow missed the 30-min line rule, and waited about a hour before panels began for them. No one told me to move, either, so I stayed ignorant of the rule. Regardless, I didn't mean to break the rule and apologize for it. ):
Our Etsy shop

#82 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Suggestion 1: for guests/concerts perhaps it might be a good idea to schedule two shows/meet and greets as opposed to just one. That way, guests of the convention have more of a chance to see the event/concert/whatnot then if they just had one chance at it. Mulitple shows/signings would give attendies the abiltiy to choose anong multiple times/days in order to get that prized Vic autograph or dance their butts off to LMC.

Suggestion 2: For photshoot locations, ehtier have a ran contengecy plan that is posted, aka if rain, this shoot will move to said different location. Or perhaps have selected rooms at one of the hotels dedicated to photoshoots. Larger shoots could be held in one of the other hotel's ballrooms and smaller shoots could be held in unsued meeting spaces/rooms. For example this year, the Capital room in the Hyatt was not unitlized. This could have been used for photoshoots. Also, in the same vein, for shoots after sunset in the dome, perhaps have some actual photography lighting set up so that the shoots are in the dark.

Suggestion 3: The guide book descriptions need to be sorted by date and time, not by alphabetic order. The easiest way to do this would be a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday pages, like with the actual middle block pages. This same thing for the photoshoots. Instead of being alpabetic, list them up in time and date order.

Suggestion 4: Restructure the Artist Alley. The main sellers area was easy to get around and find things in because they had a really good flow this year. However, the AA was rather crowded and disjointed. There was really not real flow or ease of space. While looking for a specific table, I went throught the AA at least three times, and I could never acutally find the right table. Best solution is to run all the isles in the same direction.
2014 ---
Sandshrew - Pokemon
Mink - DMMD
Reborn - KHR

#83 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I guess my one gripe is a pretty easy fix. Can the schedulers please look at both the photoshoots and panels and making sure things of the same interest are not scheduled at the same time. On Saturday the two vocaloid panels were scheduled back to back in the same room. That was totally awsome except the second panel start time was the EXACT same start time as the photoshoot. I ran from the Double Tree to the loading docks to catch the photoshoot, got moved to the main area of the convention hall, attended most of the shoot, ran back to the panel room just to find out it was cancelled because it was "awful" I assume that is because of the attendance.
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#84 User is offline   Khaoticfolks 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5983

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hi all! I haven't posted in a while but I feel I need to say something about this year's con. I've been attending ACEN since 2004 or 2005 and despite the minor snags that are sure to happen when running a convention of such magnitude, you guys have always seemed to run things very smoothly. Unfortunately, this year was very disappointing and unsettling as a long time con-goer. So much so that if this is a prelude to the way things will be conducted in the future, I'm not sure I'll return as others have said.

Here are my gripes (note: yes, some of you have already mentioned these, but I need my own constructive soapbox):

*I feel as though when you guys were setting the schedule, you didn't allot for possible delays. Everything seemed so rushed, unlike years before. Asking attendees to wait an hour for a program to start is not unreasonable we understand things happen. Yet, asking them to wait 2-4 hours is just bad business.

*There seemed to be more focus on parties and concerts than paneling & signature event "Masquerade". Don't get me wrong, :clap: meeting Imeraut /Masashi Hamauzu and getting to hear them play made attendance worthwhile for me :clap: but there were considerably less panels this year with quite a few being cancelled. Also, due to the fire alarm and building evacuation during Masquerade, the skits were cut to accommodate "Soap Bubble". "Masquerade" is a signature or core event at ACEN that a majority of your attendees look forward to (especially myself). It's the one event you should never cut. Being that "Soap Bubble" is a dance, it could have reasonably started later in the evening. Most people do not start to arrive at nightclubs--using this as an example--until 11:00pm...11:30pm.

*There was no consideration for attendees without smartphones. I think the App was a great idea but it should have been balanced out with the option of the quick guide for attendee's without smartphones. I love the quick guide because I could easily put it in my pocket and go instead of porting around that big program guide. It's almost like us non-smartphone users were being punished for not having smartphones. :(

*IRT and other staff members seemed uninformed on how to address situations and at times with providing information. Let me just say that everyone on staff that I meet was very polite and helpful but seemed out of the loop on what was going on most of the time. I know that this had to be frustrating for the staff more so than the con-goers.

There seems to be this disconnect somewhere from what fundamentally cons should be, historically have been and who your primary patrons are. ACEN 2012 seemed to be less family, kid, Adult/Old school fan friendly then I ever seen an Anime con. It's like you focused on the mid-high school to early college crowd and forgot about everyone else. You guys need to investigate the things that really worked in the past and find a way to balance that out with trying new things. I understand that you want to keep up with the new and next generation but you also have to find away to incorporate and be respectful of your older die-hard attendees and family attendees.

This post has been edited by Khaoticfolks: 30 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

The Dilemma...
"I wanna horde all the Bishounen to myself!"

Polyandry: a Fangirl's solution....

"I have several surnames. The lady to the house of Inu no Tashio; mate to Sesshoumaru-sama, Mrs. Takayanagi Mitsuomi, Mrs. Kuchiki Byakuya, Mrs. Abarai Renji, Mrs. Makihara Bob, and Mrs. Strife Cloud."

#85 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Some suggestions to help out the issues.

1. Lines: this gets a section onto itself. Lets's break them down by sections.

• Popular Event Lines: to start with for popular events (Concerts, panels that will get a lot of people, etc) I think a hand stamp policy is in order. What is a hand stamp policy you may ask, well it's quite simple. Four IRT or Staff members stand where the enterence to the line starts, here they have a stamp that has a number on it, and the stamps can change, (if not a number then an animal. People that come up to form a line get their hands stamped and then they have to leave. No loitering or you get an ex in marker on your hand that means you can not get in the event, period. It's simple and effiencet. You'll have less people lining up to early because they know that they can go to the front because of the stamps. You let people know when they come over, for example: Dog stamp is first in line, or row one. Cat stamp is section two, bird is section three, and so on. No arguing or anything.

• Panel Lines: I like the idea of a taped off section for panels, and rope it off. tie a string around a small stand, or two chairs, and people have to line up single file. The arrow says which way you can come in, then, like at rides, you have the staffer, direct the people out, and escort the people in. Again simple and easy to teach.

• Rave Lines: You want people to hug the wall, quickest way to do this...set up a paramiter. again, rope off area outside. Single file, and have a megaphone, also maybe it's time to change where the raves are being held. Rather then in the grand ball room at the Hyatt, how about the larger ball room at the hilton? I think that's bigger then the one there and also might make the linesn easier to control?

• Registration lines: Again tape off, and make people in single file or use the stamp policy as above. Maybe have an app for people that only buy single badges where they can fill it out before they get in line and then fast track them?

• All other lines: Break the Autograph lines into parts. Again this is where the Stamps come in. Group one, group two, etc, this way people can line up. or move the autographs away from the dealers room and to another place where control can be done. Don't have a cap, but rather again use the stamps. First fifty people get to come to session one, second group get in session two.

For IRT best way is to give them a drilling sitiuation, and based on their reaction to very harsh things, see where their frustration level is, based on that, then you can figure out where to place the person. Tell them not to joke, make it very clear that they are there to serve the customers, and that under no circumstances can they make jokes that can be seen as threatening or offensive. Reward those who do good, and those that do not, then set up a system where they need to make up for their behavior.

Cosplay, maybe if the brand is popular, it's time to actually you know, split up the shoot. More then one My little pony with smaller groups. Also again heads must learn to control the people there. What I'm going to do with mine is that if you want in on the shoot, you have to sign up and read some rules, such as, "If you harrass anyone before, during or after the shoot, you are no longer welcome at the shoot." Etc.

In regards to litter, do what disney does. They looked into how far someone is willing to carry trash. Test it out maybe a week before or more then a week before and set up trashbins around for people to throw out. Also helps to have it where guests can report to someone about the garbage on tables.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#86 User is offline   Firak 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 27765
  • Location:A place that doesn't look remarkably exactly like the opposite of a city called South Bend.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostSoy Sauce, on 29 April 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Can someone tell me the logic of badge checks when leaving the dealer's room? They were doing that by the restaurant exit.

Was I one or the few people that asked them why they were checking it? Supposedly they were looking for someone, like several people have suggested in response to this question. Not sure who or why, but that's what the IRT person said when I asked.
What right do we have to pass judgement on a fellow human being?
'I ask of you, what right have we to presume him innocent?'
-Soul Drinker's Prayer

#87 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostFirak, on 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Was I one or the few people that asked them why they were checking it? Supposedly they were looking for someone, like several people have suggested in response to this question. Not sure who or why, but that's what the IRT person said when I asked.

If that was the case, they didn't do a very good job looking for names because they just glanced at the badge. The print is tiny on the badge so they would have to look up close if they wanted to look for a name.
ACen '14 Cosplay

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#88 User is offline   Firak 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 27765
  • Location:A place that doesn't look remarkably exactly like the opposite of a city called South Bend.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostLina, on 30 April 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

If that was the case, they didn't do a very good job looking for names because they just glanced at the badge. The print is tiny on the badge so they would have to look up close if they wanted to look for a name.

It's possible they were looking at the badge name and not the actual person's name, which is quite a bit larger than the person's name. That's just speculation though, all I was told was they were looking for someone.
What right do we have to pass judgement on a fellow human being?
'I ask of you, what right have we to presume him innocent?'
-Soul Drinker's Prayer

#89 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostFirak, on 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

It's possible they were looking at the badge name and not the actual person's name, which is quite a bit larger than the person's name. That's just speculation though, all I was told was they were looking for someone.

That would make more sense.
ACen '14 Cosplay

#90 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostFirak, on 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I was in the Bandai booth and there were several IRT taking descriptions of someone (someone wearing something green?). I don't know what happened though, whether it was theft or not.
Our Etsy shop

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users