Anime Central Forums: 2012 Gripes thread - Anime Central Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2012 Gripes thread Post what you want fixed in ACen here!

#301 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62376

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

That kind of stuff is fine in a panel, as long as he doesn't go over (which apparently is a consistent problem for him that needs to be fixed). I don't really care how popular he is - he shouldn't be allowed to affect other panels. As much as I wish questions were pre-made to cut down on how many people ask something, well, stupid/inappropriate, I doubt it'll happen since it's just extra work for volunteers. But NO autograph signings should allow requests or questions. Only autographs and photos should be allowed.

Also, some perv asked Brina to sign a photo of a topless girl (I don't recall what character). That is so inappropriate, guys.

This post has been edited by ❤Mokyu❤: 04 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

#302 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

*smacks foreahead* Really seriously? Come on now...Well that's as bad as girls going up to Troy, Vic and Scott McNeil asking for their breasts to be signed by them.

I was rather suprised at the panels for Vic time...and then hour panels for the others. Again time limit should be imposed.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#303 User is offline   mindue 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60684

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Also this doesn't personally affect me but it was something that bothered me. There was this gundam building panel for kids, that was like around 7 or 8 at night or something. Why would a panel for kids be that late at night? Most kids are in bed at that time, and I know a bunch of people in the plushie making panel before that felt so bad for him.

#304 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Postmindue, on 04 May 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Also this doesn't personally affect me but it was something that bothered me. There was this gundam building panel for kids, that was like around 7 or 8 at night or something. Why would a panel for kids be that late at night? Most kids are in bed at that time, and I know a bunch of people in the plushie making panel before that felt so bad for him.

I'm betting this was a case of the panels needing to switch due to various issues. Normally Acen doesn't hold events for kids that late.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#305 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Post❤Mokyu❤, on 04 May 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Haha, really? If that's what happened, then yeah, that's not acceptable. He needed to be told - not asked - to vacate the room with his horde of fangirls! I know on Friday everything was pushed back because the VGO started SO late. Speaking of which, did no one find out how long of a prep time they needed beforehand? Or did something else go wrong? Because the situation really screwed up Friday's schedule BADLY. Praying that never happens again... But they were running late again on Sunday and pushed back Eyeshine's concert, so I'm kinda curious what was up with that.

I heard while I was waiting in line for VGO that they wanted everything in the finale "perfect" so that was the original setback. I have no idea after that, because I left out of sheer frustration and anger for their lack of professionalism and respect to everyone that had been waiting in line hours already. Had that been an actual concert, everyone that bought tickets would have gotten refunds. =/ I sincerely hope ACen knocked them hardcore for breach of contract (if ACen had time performance as one of their mainstays in their contract). That was so ridiculous. And sad, because that was the only guest I wanted to see.

This post has been edited by myrla: 04 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#306 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Postmyrla, on 04 May 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I left out of sheer frustration and anger for their lack of professionalism and respect to everyone that had been waiting in line hours already.

It's not only a complete lack of respect for people waiting for THEIR concert but also to people waiting for OTHER concerts. I wonder if they didn't know that other bands were supposed to play after them.... or they just didn't care?

Does acen have anyone there to inform guests of their appointed time slots? I know you don't want to be rude to the guests but having them go over their time and pushing back other events will only leave a bad taste in attendee's mouths both towards them and the con.
ACen 2015 cosplay;
[Thursday]Yamada Aoi - Working!!
[Friday] Diane - Nanatsu no Taizai
[Saturday] Saria - Zelda / Agnes Oblige - Bravely Default
------------------------------------
I make gams
I love Donald Duck. I am Donald Duck.

#307 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostBard-kun, on 04 May 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

-I didn't mind the video gaming rooms being in separate buildings; it gave us more basement space in the Hyatt, and lord knows my panel benefitted from that. But when I went to console gaming, this is what I saw:
A group watching two guys play Street Fighter
A group watching two guys play Tekken
A group watching two guys play KoF or somesuch
ONE SINGLE GUY playing Smash Brothers Brawl by himself, declining any offers for a match
Two rhythm games
Assorted other fighting games

Now, I went late at night (see aforementioned note about babysitting drunk friend), so if there was more variety earlier in the day somebody let me know. But how about a shooter or two? More four-player games, maybe a Rock Band setup? If it's down to a lack of volunteered consoles, I'll be sure to bring my stuff next year.

I'd first like to note that, yes, we were horribly over saturated with fighting games. However, though few, we did have a handful of shooters as well as a Rock Band set up. I can understand that you may have missed the Rock Band set up as it was all the way at the back of the room and, when I showed up for my shift after set up, I didn't even notice it myself till I heard someone singing. Placement of this is something that I'll discuss with my DH for next year.

Back to the lack of shooters/any sort of variety of games; it was entirely a lack of donations. We put out pretty much every game we had and still had consoles sitting behind the staff table that we didn't have games for. Console donations are great but don't do much without the games to go in them. If you really want to see a specific type game in the room we NEED you to donate it.
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#308 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll be sure to bring some games next year, then.
Join the parade.

HENTARMAGEDDON EPISODE V: THE HENTAIRE STRIKES BACK
SATURDAY, MAY 16
PANEL ROOM 7
1:15 AM
By "Saturday" I technically mean SUNDAY, because anything after midnight constitutes Sunday. But uh...yeah. It's the second night of the convention. If you're over eighteen and don't attend you'e lame.

#309 User is offline   BakaBarbarian 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62211

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostSaphiraRaworth, on 04 May 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Another note, we are not regular security. We call ourselves security, but its really customer service with a smile. We are not allowed to touch congoers in any sort of legal or defensive capacity. If we get into an altercation with a congoers, by either words exchanged, they or we struck first, or they're drunk/high or mentally unstable, we are at risk of being sued and banned from ACen. I thought I would make you aware we are actually very limited in what we can and can't do, as per RPD and state and federal laws.

Yep, and this right here sums up the problem quite nicely. IRT is expected to do the job of cops, without any of the authority to actually do the job of the cops. It makes me wonder why *anyone* would sign up for the job. It's an impossible, no-win situation for everyone wearing that vest.

IRT's lack of real power, plus a general unwillingness to call in the pros who DO have the power to nip problems in the bud (e.g. we've known for years ACEN has a track record of property destruction, underage drinking, and the like, yet I see nothing proactive done about it--and no, getting a badge name or call sign is NOT proactive) means the problem is well beyond the scope of a bunch of volunteers who don't really have any power.

I don't know what's worth more to note: that no one has fallen off a Hyatt balcony in a drunken stupor yet at ACEN, or that the con higher management seems to insist upon the same trajectory that's going to take it to that point. We see a lot of hand-wringing about losing attendees, when we should be seeing a lot of hand-wringing about people's basic safety. There are some very seriously misplaced priorities, here, and it doesn't make people like me want to come back.

#310 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, reading the threads and thinking about it...I don't WANT to have real security guards and the associated costs, but...if that's what has to be done, that's what has to be done. I haven't seen any of these problems (well, besides a couple of drunk guys randomly slapping my butt and running away giggling) but if that's what's going down at the raves and hotels and stuff....it seems like something needs to be done.
derp

#311 User is offline   Siren Noel 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58992

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

BakaBarbarian: I could not agree more.

THis is the root of the issues, sad to say.

and Btw, I hope staff is watching this thread and perhaps absorbing some of it? I see tons of staff on the ACen Compliments Thread....But none here. :/ Makes me sad. And generally want to give up.

This post has been edited by Siren Noel: 06 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

#312 User is offline   ❤Mokyu❤ 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62376

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

View Postmyrla, on 04 May 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I heard while I was waiting in line for VGO that they wanted everything in the finale "perfect" so that was the original setback. I have no idea after that, because I left out of sheer frustration and anger for their lack of professionalism and respect to everyone that had been waiting in line hours already. Had that been an actual concert, everyone that bought tickets would have gotten refunds. =/ I sincerely hope ACen knocked them hardcore for breach of contract (if ACen had time performance as one of their mainstays in their contract). That was so ridiculous. And sad, because that was the only guest I wanted to see.

Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous. I honestly regret wasting my time in that line. I only ended up staying for 35 minutes or so. I didn't realize IMERUAT would be playing before them, and to be totally honest, I didn't enjoy their music. I stayed for 2-3 songs of the VGO's, but then I left.

#313 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Okay as much as I like the VGO's music, trying to be perfect, unless it was a day only event for them...and no other musical guests. No that is not going to happen, I wonder if EL Ken knows/knew about this? Maybe this should be brought up in the future for suggestions.

I have a question though, If the VGO needed a perfect set up, why not have them only on Sunday?

Pardon the Pause

#314 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 06 May 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Okay as much as I like the VGO's music, trying to be perfect, unless it was a day only event for them...and no other musical guests. No that is not going to happen, I wonder if EL Ken knows/knew about this? Maybe this should be brought up in the future for suggestions.

I have a question though, If the VGO needed a perfect set up, why not have them only on Sunday?

As someone who has been in the music industry (both promotions and touring) for ~14 years, I can remember a time when a band (Monster Magnet) walked on stage, spat, and left saying "we're not playing here tonight, f--- everyone who bought tickets, this place is a dump." They didn't get paid and have never played that venue again.

Think of the VGO thing this way: Say it's... Taylor Swift. You go to her show, you pay the money to see her, you get in the auditorium and they start 3 hours late.

Are you going to really stay that long? are you going to demand refunds? are you going to -ever see her again-?

There's a reason these things shouldn't happen, they're called contracts. If ACen didn't have a contract with VGO regarding start times, I hope from now on it's written into every band contract. Quite simply, "If you don't start on time or within 30-60 minutes, unless it's power failure, act of God, etc, you don't get paid."

All I know is that I'll never see VGO (or IMUERUAT) because of what happened at ACen, we heard them warming up, it sounded amazing, but then they just.. left. A couple went into the lobby and played a song, then came back in the room, and they disappeared. (Special needs, because you rock, let us in and we got to sit down).

There's a reason many bands get the title "Prima Donna" from crews, promotion agencies and the like.

Baka Barbarian said:

don't know what's worth more to note: that no one has fallen off a Hyatt balcony in a drunken stupor yet at ACEN, or that the con higher management seems to insist upon the same trajectory that's going to take it to that point. We see a lot of hand-wringing about losing attendees, when we should be seeing a lot of hand-wringing about people's basic safety. There are some very seriously misplaced priorities, here, and it doesn't make people like me want to come back.

I'm 100% behind this. basic safety > anything. IRT not having any kind of power if actual Bad Things ™ went down honestly terrifies me.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#315 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Maybe this is something that should be brought up to EL Ken, although I'm not sure if anyone is answering their PMs as of right now. Given what happened I think that Acen should really have checked over their contracts. I don't belive that the guests are paid other then for room, food,and travel. This is like a Trade show for them in a way, show what they have get people interested in their stuff. I know if I had been waiting in that line the first thing I would have done was gone out of line, gotten hold of staff and asked what the hold up was. That was rediculous of them. No matter how good they were, or are, that is no way to treat patrons, period.

This bit about IRT haveing little or no power bothers me too. I think that not all should have it, since some will take it to their heads. But the older more experinced memebers should be given power to revoke badges and other things. I know at least two IRT members that are in my class that I teach and are part of the club I'm Advisor for, I'm thinking of asking them about it.

Pardon the Pause

#316 User is offline   Firak 

• Registration Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 27765
  • Location:A place that doesn't look remarkably exactly like the opposite of a city called South Bend.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Not sure how valid this could be, but depending on the hours the police are already logging they may not have the manpower to spare more than the 4 cops (traffic cops?) I remember seeing stationed for the con.

As for calling the police I wonder how often they would actually send a squad car over. I would assume that out of every several calls at least a couple of them would be incorrect or the people would have moved on and gotten lost in the crowd/left the area. I would suspect eventually, if not even currently, the people calling in the report would themselves have to actually witness the drug usage/selling in order for the cops to take them seriously.

Yet again, I have no real idea on the validity of any of this, just thinking of possible complications.

There is also the idea that there have not been calls to the police about these very same issues already. No way to confirm this or not unless someone that has called them posts here informing us or the PD states they have received complaints.

And the question of why, if you see the drug use, did you not place the call to the police yourselves? Although I could easily see this falling into the same problems of the previous complications.
What right do we have to pass judgement on a fellow human being?
'I ask of you, what right have we to presume him innocent?'
-Soul Drinker's Prayer

#317 User is offline   BakaBarbarian 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62211

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 07 May 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

This bit about IRT haveing little or no power bothers me too. I think that not all should have it, since some will take it to their heads. But the older more experinced memebers should be given power to revoke badges and other things. I know at least two IRT members that are in my class that I teach and are part of the club I'm Advisor for, I'm thinking of asking them about it.

It's not like, if you're going to commit a crime, you're going to just stop and allow IRT to escort you somewhere. You're going to get the heck out of there. You're not going to let them take you to the person who can revoke your badge, or whatever. Or wait around for the cops to show up.

At some cons, that may not matter. Given ACEN's draw of the party crowd, it very much does.

#318 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostSiren Noel, on 06 May 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

and Btw, I hope staff is watching this thread and perhaps absorbing some of it? I see tons of staff on the ACen Compliments Thread....But none here. :/ Makes me sad. And generally want to give up.

Official staff comment: We are most certainly watching/reading/taking to heart ALL the threads and feedback. A few of us start reading it on the trip home (with someone else driving of course). :P

Many brains have to converge on these types of things so if a comment is not posted right away it is only because we like to observe, deliberate, and come up with a resolution to everything you have to say. Also, right after the convention these threads tend to populate fast, and replies can easily be lost. It's easier to make one response that everyone can easily see, that addresses many of the concerns at once too. Fret not, we need/want/like hearing everything you have to say. We can't "fix" something if we don't know it's "broken". :thumbup:

2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#319 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Well how about a system for the IRT, I think I mentioned this somewhere.

Example:

If you're new to IRT, green, or only have a year or three under there belt, you can only warn and report.

If you're there for say 5 years or more, you have the right to maybe put some sort of mark on the badge so other IRT know that this person is trouble and can take them to the pen, or at least take them to where officals can yank their badge.

If over 6 or more years, you can have the right to temporarily revoke the badge and the person must go to the main office of IRT where either the ruling is over turned or the badge is revoked for that year and you get a mark on the record of your name so that if you reapply you will be noted for being disruptive.

Pardon the Pause

#320 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postmyrla, on 07 May 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

As someone who has been in the music industry (both promotions and touring) for ~14 years, I can remember a time when a band (Monster Magnet) walked on stage, spat, and left saying "we're not playing here tonight, f--- everyone who bought tickets, this place is a dump." They didn't get paid and have never played that venue again.

Think of the VGO thing this way: Say it's... Taylor Swift. You go to her show, you pay the money to see her, you get in the auditorium and they start 3 hours late.

Are you going to really stay that long? are you going to demand refunds? are you going to -ever see her again-?

There's a reason these things shouldn't happen, they're called contracts. If ACen didn't have a contract with VGO regarding start times, I hope from now on it's written into every band contract. Quite simply, "If you don't start on time or within 30-60 minutes, unless it's power failure, act of God, etc, you don't get paid."

All I know is that I'll never see VGO (or IMUERUAT) because of what happened at ACen, we heard them warming up, it sounded amazing, but then they just.. left. A couple went into the lobby and played a song, then came back in the room, and they disappeared. (Special needs, because you rock, let us in and we got to sit down).

There's a reason many bands get the title "Prima Donna" from crews, promotion agencies and the like.

I'm 100% behind this. basic safety > anything. IRT not having any kind of power if actual Bad Things ™ went down honestly terrifies me.

About the contract deal, I agree 100%!!! Seriously while I again don't think the Masquerade should have been cancelled (With all respect, I haven't attended on since 2008 but I know it's always been a big part of ACen) I do think it should have started on time or near it. 30 minutes late, ok I suppose, an hour, pushing it but okay I guess, but two hours?? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but people were in line for it around 6-6:30 still, it was supposed to start at 4! Whatever went on prior shouldn't have delayed it by 2 hours! I understand things happen beyond control, but if the event starts late, I personally don't think it should end late. People signed up and committed to a certain time. Unless the groups after them are "Okay we'll give you some of our time" then fine but if they want to start at the time ACen agreed on, they should be entitled to it!

Is that unrealistic?
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#321 User is offline   Aphex 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 27543

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostSprinklePuff, on 30 April 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Other Gripes

The LM.C photograph/autograph situation. We were initially told by the girls at LM.C's booth that LM.C would ONLY sign the CD's they had for sale, PERIOD. NOTHING ELSE. I had bought an expensive, official LM.C poster from Japan that I wanted signed. Acen staff should really get these autograph rules ahead of time, posted online, so that people know not to buy other items beforehand. In any case, disappointed, I decided to go with a t-shirt for a photo. We were told we would be able to take the photo on our own cameras. Great! Well, fast-forward to the day of the autographs/photos. Turns out you can't take the photo - they would be taking a poloroid for you. Oh, well...okay? Poloroids are fine, I guess. Then we were told it was a super cool "Japanese poloroid." Hmmm, what's that? Well, I'll tell you what it is. It's a 3" or so photo that's not very crisp. When I walked out I was SO disappointed. $35 for a teeny tiny photo (I didn't really want the shirt). Plus, I saw people walking out of the signing holding non-CD items, like an LM.C book, that I assume they got autographed. WHAT?! Not only that, but the girls at the LM.C booth told us a purchase GUARANTEED an autograph and/or photo, yet IRT stressed that we were guaranteed nothing, and if you had bought both a CD and shirt, you might not get both, since you had to get in the CD line and then get in the back of the shirt line. I felt this was really dishonest on the part of the girls selling LM.C merch.

Not to mention, they were guarding those guys like they were the presidents of the United States. It was really odd. Other fans were commenting on it. Did they think someone was going to try to assasinate them? It just felt a little uncomfortable.

If I think of any more gripes, I'll post them. All in all, I was not very pleased this year, to be honest. When it costs around $500 for a 3-day vacation at this event, I expect better, otherwise I won't attend in the future.

I agree with you about the LM.C autograph. It was terrible. Really... #35.00 for a t-shirt and CD sepraretly?! I felt like I was getting ripped off. I feel like if something like this ever happens again, they should have informed us before hand because this was a very disappointing moment for me... In the dealers room where LM.C had their little booth. If I remember correctly, it was near the snack bar and their new album was playing on the mini tv, the girls never told me that I needed a CD to get their autograph. They only told me if I buy a shirt, I can get their picture during the autograph session so thats what I did. I never got a picture in the end nor I didn't know about the Poloroid thing going on. This wasn't my favorite year as well. If their is a popular band coming in the future, Acen should be more specific about their rules instead of freaking out over a hundred guest about their rules.

#322 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

If I may.

This, by far, was one of the worst ACens in recent memory. Hands down. 2008 had the horror of linecon, but this? The inconsistencies? The Crystal Ball? IRT being a-holes? The behavior of those of the convention?

Unacceptable.

I'm sick and tired of being propositioned and followed whenever I attend the con. I'm not even wearing a skimpy cosplay (like it matters) - I'm dressed from head to foot in black Aristocrat, and I get some creepy SoB following me? F that. I shouldn't have to bring my boyfriend with me as an escort in order to feel like I'm not going to be approached/stalked/followed/cat-called at whenever I'm wanting to go where I wish.

Whenever I attend, people don't seem to respect personal space, property, themselves, or have any respect at all. As someone suggested in this thread, I think that it's time that you guys curb attendees. If people can't act like they haven't been raised in the woods by wolves, they don't need to show up to an event that should otherwise be relatively civilzed. I understand that this is an anime convention. I understand that a certain degree of madness and chaos is to be expected. It should not be solely chaos. High School and college students should know how to remove their heads from their behinds and act like they have a clue. This is not your house, and if you have an attitude of entitlement, you can keep your butt at home. If you don't feel like you need to shower (because this was the smelliest con in recent memory, as well), you can also stay home. The con doesn't need your money, your presence or your stench. In terms of a social dynamic, Acen has declined, but I don't attribute that so much to Acen as I do to the increasing popularity of anime and it's attracting people who fancy themselves to be the chicks from Mean Girls and wannabe frat boys. To be frank, if the Hyatt no longer wanted to host Acen due to the boorish people that attend and the absolute lack of decorum that this con has devolved to, I wouldn't blame them. If anything, I'd applaud them. It's a lot of money to turn away, but it would show that they stand for something.

I'm one of the people who, last year, bitched about having a formal ball. Quite frankly, how about honestly, truly, doing this, instead of trying to appease angry folk like me? If a person is wearing a sailor fuku, bar them entrance. The IRT can jump down people's throats for everything else. Make yourselves useful. I don't even have any complaints about music - it's like someone's prom and such is to be expected.

And about IRT - the comment from the person who had a seizure because of various issues, and people toking it up in front of this person should never, ever, have happened. IRT spends more time being on power trips instead of reporting obviously reportable things to the proper authorities. How is it that so many people are so focused on shouting and losing their crap with people and drop the ball so horrendously? And passing the buck about 'Well, there isn't anything that we can do about it' and this lack of accountability from upper level management all the way down to the minor staffers is sad, and quite frankly, with attitudes like that, this con is going to suffer the consequences. The petty things like drug use, public intoxication, destruction is going to manifest into something much, much larger, and I say this as someone who has lived in Chicago - it can devolve into potential violence if people feel like they can attend cons and get away with anything, especially considering how people are allowed to walk the con with Airsoft guns with magazines.

Soap Bubble or Hardcore Synergy need to be cancelled. You have two raves and it's taking focus off of the greater con at large. This is a disgrace. When it comes to masquerade or a second rave, there should be no question as to what should take precedence. This is an anime con, is it not? If I wanted a college-style party, I would go down to Cancun or NOLA.

I'll return next year, but if there is no marked improvement, I will no longer recommend this con to other people. There are too many smaller cons that are more deserving of the honor, time and money than 4 days of unabashed immaturity, rudeness and disorganization.

To temper this rant of mine - to those of you that worked tirelessly at this even to try to right the wrongs, even in spite of the disaster that was this year, your efforts are not in vain. You are thanked beyond measure. To those of you congoers that conducted yourself with some degree of decorum and behaved with some degree of maturity - thank you, thank you, a million times over thank you. All of you are the people that get no true thanks, and I guess that you derive your thanks in terms of enjoyment of the con.

This post has been edited by antisocialist: 23 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

#323 User is offline   SaphiraRaworth 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 7593

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Postantisocialist, on 23 May 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

If I may.

This, by far, was one of the worst ACens in recent memory. Hands down. 2008 had the horror of linecon, but this? The inconsistencies? The Crystal Ball? IRT being a-holes? The behavior of those of the convention?

Unacceptable.

And about IRT - the comment from the person who had a seizure because of various issues, and people toking it up in front of this person should never, ever, have happened. IRT spends more time being on power trips instead of reporting obviously reportable things to the proper authorities. How is it that so many people are so focused on shouting and losing their crap with people and drop the ball so horrendously? And passing the buck about 'Well, there isn't anything that we can do about it' and this lack of accountability from upper level management all the way down to the minor staffers is sad, and quite frankly, with attitudes like that, this con is going to suffer the consequences. The petty things like drug use, public intoxication, destruction is going to manifest into something much, much larger, and I say this as someone who has lived in Chicago - it can devolve into potential violence if people feel like they can attend cons and get away with anything, especially considering how people are allowed to walk the con with Airsoft guns with magazines.

Hello there. This is Raworth. Friendly 4th year IRT member. Until this thread started, I knew nothing about the person with a seizure, so I will not be able to comment on what had occurred, nor do I know either side of the story.

I would like to comment that it was specifically stated in that any airsoft weapon was to be made non-functional and to not have any sort of ammo in it and no clip. I know I made sure every time I saw one that I checked it to make sure it followed these rules. There were people sent to prop check for having magazines and clips, and were asked to take them away from the convention center.

I would also like to note that IRT cannot be everywhere, all the time. We can't see everything in front of us. A lot of the time we're looking for live steel, dangerous cosplays, persons of interest, missing children, and hazards. Sometimes most of these happen at the same time. I would like to encourage, once again, that if you see anything, anything at all, occurring that you think is wrong, dangerous, or illegal, please report it to either IRT OR the RPD. We would appreciate it if IRT knows about it first, but if this is something along the lines of pot-smokers or highly intoxicated individuals... Call the RPD. We would have to call them ourselves after attempting to deal with the situation. I would imagine my superiors would rather me tell you go directly to IRT, but sometimes there are things we have to let RPD handle.
Callsign: Raworth

Past ACen Cosplays: Friends & Groups
Lan Group ACen '06 Group ACen '07 ACen '09 ACen '10 ACen '11
Contact Me?
facebook deviantart windows live yahoo twitter

#324 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostSaphiraRaworth, on 24 May 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I would imagine my superiors would rather me tell you go directly to IRT, but sometimes there are things we have to let RPD handle.

Dispatch to Raworth: You would imagine correctly. We prefer to have the ability to call RPD onto the scene so that 1) we get a chance to help resolve the situation (we do have procedures for that), and 2) we're not surprised by RPD suddenly appearing without notice.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#325 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62054

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

it is kinda late to post comment about ACen 2012, but some news I was informed today makes up my mind to post some feedback. Whether or not the my opinion would influence ACen 2013, at least it is helpful for my psych health XD

This is my second year of ACen, so as an "ACener", I am far from being knowledgable the past of it except relying online info. But I feel my concern here should be essential for the improvement of it as a whole. I had fun in my past two ACen, so it is only natural that I want it to be better. So here we go:

1) Registration: It was always a pain in the butt when u have to wait in line for ur badge while seeing others enjoying themselves in the con already, and that sort of things happen to me TWICE already. For last year(ACen 2011), for saving the budget, I decided to pick up my badge on site after purchasing online, which was a mistake since I had to wait in a super long line for like an hour. I guess it is my bad not spending couple more bucks on asking ACen to send it to my mailbox instead, but the fact that ur staff somehow didn't divide the line into buy-on-site/pick-on-site group definely plays a role in it as well. (Not for mentioning people who just ignore the line and sneak in, which takes your people about half an hour to notice) But meh, I blame my laziness for this one. So this year, I want to make sure such tragedy would not occur. The original plan is to order the badge to my mailbox, but then I got notified that panelist can only pick up at the office, so I did...and thus wait for TWO HOURS this year. Why? Well, first I went to the office, wait in a line for like half an hour, only being notified that I should go to convention center so "I(you) don't have to wait in line", and so I did, only finding myself to wait for another one and a half hour. I am not asking here that ACen should treat us like VIP because we did panel for you, but making us suffer more than regular participant is another story. Oh, I also forgot to mention that while one of us ask the staff "jokingly" about all these chaos, she replied "jokingly" as well "Hey, I am volunteer, I don't get paid for that".Well done, ACen Staff Training.

2) Artist Alley(or Doujinshi Central specifically): So I also happened to be the winner of ACen Doujinshi Central this year, of which I appreciate the honor. However, when I went to the AA staff and ask about my table location, the response I recieve are bunch of confused faces. It turns out
Phillip Schmidt is the only one who is responsible and also familar with the process. Is it really that hard(or secritive?) to let AA staff be familar about such procedure, especially when it involves the winners of your contest? Don't get me wrong, Phillip is considerate and helpful throughout the process, but I would not give the same compliment to the whole subgroup. Also, our table is one somehow forsaken by other team instead of one prepared beforehand as I originally envisioned. (In other words, what if there is no abscence this year?) Furthermore, despite being the winner, our name is never in the program book for Artist Alley booth list, and we don't even have our own team name flyer as other groups. I thought doujinshi central would be a great promotional opportunity for my artist team, but somehow, it just works the opposite.

3) Here is my major gripe and the reason why I make this post: The Guests. To me, one of the major attraction of a con is always the guest, especially those from Japan, the motherland of anime, since it is relatively difficult for us to meet them in real life comparing to Japanese local fans. However, for two consecutive years already, the guests of ACen are never really satisfactory, which makes me quite confused since the research I made indicate ACen used to have really decent Japanese guests with an enough degree of popularity or significance. (Yoko Ishida, Chiwa Saito, Ken Akamatsu, just listing a few...oh and they are all from your wikipedia page btw) Last year I still find it acceptable since we still have FLOW. However, this year, other than Nabeshin, there isn't any really legit Japanese "anime" guest.(of which I don't include visual kai, martial art, or fasion design. Not that I dislike them, but they just aren't that related to anime to my perspective) I thought Mr.Hamauzu would be a great guest for this year, but somehow I never find his activity in the schedule, either he never shows up, or ur program books doesn't do its work. What only make me frustrated even more is when I hear about other cons' guest. I guess I don't need to mention Anime Expo, which never failed to surpise me with their guest list. But Sakura Con has Urobuchi(Script of Fate/Zero and Madoka) and Masakazu Morita(Ichigo of Bleach), and Otakon has Ai Nonaka(Kyouko of Madoka) and Aya Hirano(Haruhi). I know it is financially difficult to invite a popular Japanese seiyu, not for mentioning the language gap involved during communication. However, considering the size of Anime Central, I always had faith it can pull of such a thing, especially when they can do so in the past. If budget is really the issue, why not just invite one or two Japanese guest, but ensure their relevance and significance to the anime industry. In fact, few weeks ago, I got a Twitter reply from a Japanese seiyu, Asakawa Yu(Tsukimi of Ever17, Rider of FSN), who told me she would be willing to come to Chicago if there is an invitation. Perhaps it is just a polite response from her, but if even I can recieve such a positive response from a Japanese seiyu, I feel it should be way more easier for ACen to do so.(She also speaks Enlgish quite well, so see? You guys can even save the money of hiring translator!)It is not my point to complain about the guests themselves, since I think they did their best for theiy respective professional area, but as anime fan, I feel there are more to be done, and I really feel it is not that hard to pull off.

I complain quite alot above and can forsee some angry counterarguement coming. Yes, u can tell me how awesome ACen is, and ask me to screw off and go to other cons instead of complaining here. Of course I can just tolerate all of these, but again, I had great memory of ACen and thus hoping it can be better. Thus devoting my time to type out all these so we can have a better ACen next year.
"Now Anime(Visual Novel) may still classed as the niche market these days...but it got such variety...such potential that I am sure will make to the mainstream one day."-ThatDudeInTheSuede

#326 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostSargentJY, on 25 June 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

This is my second year of ACen, so as an "ACener", I am far from being knowledgable the past of it except relying online info. But I feel my concern here should be essential for the improvement of it as a whole. I had fun in my past two ACen, so it is only natural that I want it to be better. So here we go:

2) Artist Alley(or Doujinshi Central specifically): So I also happened to be the winner of ACen Doujinshi Central this year, of which I appreciate the honor. However, when I went to the AA staff and ask about my table location, the response I recieve are bunch of confused faces. It turns out
Phillip Schmidt is the only one who is responsible and also familar with the process. Is it really that hard(or secritive?) to let AA staff be familar about such procedure, especially when it involves the winners of your contest? Don't get me wrong, Phillip is considerate and helpful throughout the process, but I would not give the same compliment to the whole subgroup. Also, our table is one somehow forsaken by other team instead of one prepared beforehand as I originally envisioned. (In other words, what if there is no abscence this year?) Furthermore, despite being the winner, our name is never in the program book for Artist Alley booth list, and we don't even have our own team name flyer as other groups. I thought doujinshi central would be a great promotional opportunity for my artist team, but somehow, it just works the opposite.

I complain quite alot above and can forsee some angry counterarguement coming. Yes, u can tell me how awesome ACen is, and ask me to screw off and go to other cons instead of complaining here. Of course I can just tolerate all of these, but again, I had great memory of ACen and thus hoping it can be better. Thus devoting my time to type out all these so we can have a better ACen next year.

I am sure everyone values your suggestions, and it is not to late to gripe about a past year if you have seen other gripe threads XD.

I would like to take the time to address some of your suggestions though, if I am able. Regarding the Artist Alley's Contest Doujinshi Central, while you were not the winner, but the person who claimed the winner's prize in their stead, and this is your first post, I am a bit disheartened. While the winner was unable to attend we had every right to revoke the prize as stated in the rules, but we made an exception because the winner was honest and kind, and it was arranged so that you would be able to claim their prize since you were a friend. I find it a bit tacky to complain about something that wasn't even yours, but the issue still stands that there was a problem that my team and I rectified in a timely manner. Yes there were hic-ups again with Doujinshi Central, but in comparison to previous years, this year was much improved. I will be working with my team to increase the number of training sessions to ensure that the process is retained in more detail, so that issues like you mentioned can be prevented in the future. We will also try and take additional steps to promoting the Doujinshi Central Info page that displayed the winner's names and locations beyond what we pushed out over twitter, facebook, and Copic Marker's Facebook. As for the table fliers / signs, that was not intended to be given to Artists, so we will defiantly make sure it doesn't happen again, unless it received rave reviews in the Artist Alley / Art Show Feedback Form, Artists were supposed to complete.

I can't necessarily help with the other portions of your suggestion post, but I do know that every head panelist was notified about the badge pick-up requirements, and it was posted in their rules as well. I am sure they (Panel Programming) will take additional steps to convey this information in greater frequency, but I would suggest more communication with your head panelist, because there is never such a thing as too much info, right? :)

Best Regards,
Phillip Ward-Schmidt
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#327 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62054

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on 25 June 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

I am sure everyone values your suggestions, and it is not to late to gripe about a past year if you have seen other gripe threads XD.

I would like to take the time to address some of your suggestions though, if I am able. Regarding the Artist Alley's Contest Doujinshi Central, while you were not the winner, but the person who claimed the winner's prize in their stead, and this is your first post, I am a bit disheartened. While the winner was unable to attend we had every right to revoke the prize as stated in the rules, but we made an exception because the winner was honest and kind, and it was arranged so that you would be able to claim their prize since you were a friend. I find it a bit tacky to complain about something that wasn't even yours, but the issue still stands that there was a problem that my team and I rectified in a timely manner. Yes there were hic-ups again with Doujinshi Central, but in comparison to previous years, this year was much improved. I will be working with my team to increase the number of training sessions to ensure that the process is retained in more detail, so that issues like you mentioned can be prevented in the future. We will also try and take additional steps to promoting the Doujinshi Central Info page that displayed the winner's names and locations beyond what we pushed out over twitter, facebook, and Copic Marker's Facebook. As for the table fliers / signs, that was not intended to be given to Artists, so we will defiantly make sure it doesn't happen again, unless it received rave reviews in the Artist Alley / Art Show Feedback Form, Artists were supposed to complete.

I am a little surprised it is you who response, so allow me to explain my previous post then. Yes, I am not the actual winner(and for your info, the prize is now in EEL's hand as I promised during ACen), I put it this way so I can skip all the explanation(forgive my laziness)that I personally found not that relevant to my points, but as EEL and AmberClover's representative and the one who eventually run the booth, I do feel I have the right to express my concern. After all, EEL wasn't present due to her academic reason so she isn't fully aware what was it like during ACen other than through my description. Once again, if anything, I appreciate all your personal help and consideration during the process, but what I try to point out here is how your staff handle doujinshi central winner during the con, which I don't think would be different if it is EEL herself who was present. In fact, from the winner of last doujinshi central, who is also my friend and the one who told me about this contest initially, told me almost the same story and frustration. In fact, she told me it is the exact reason why she didn't join the contest this year. Therefore, I know this is not just simply due to the "special arrangement" for me and EEL, but a continuous one.(I didn't participate last year's Doujinshi Central, so I don't know what improvement has this contest go through, so I can only comment on the one I was involved) To put things in a simple way, what we(which means EEL and me both since we share the same view about this), is simply that the doujinshi central winner can be treated just like other artist alley artists, not as an exception, or, quoting my ex-champion friend, an "inconvenience". Even under the special arrangement, I did inform you beforehand that I only represent EEL's AmberClover, not Alluvion Project(the group I used for my own Fannovel contest entry), when running the table, so AmberClover should be still in the program book and the table arrangement plan. However, during the process, I do receive a feeling that we are a group "that just shows up out of nowhere and whining about not having table so ACen has to squeeze one out to pacify" I believe it is not you and your team's intention, but your team's response did give me such feeling. And it is still true that some of your team members, if not all, have no idea how to deal with me when I showed up and you weren't there. So I feel my concern should still have their meaning despite the fact I am merely a rep of the winner.

As for panelist group, I understand it is not your sphere of responsibility, but just so you know, it is true that we did get detailed description through emails and website beforehand about badge picking, but what I experienced is totally not the same as what ACen informed me beforehand. So once again, it is not about what happened before ACen, but about what happen DURING ACen.

Hope these explaination can further clarify what I mentioned in the previous post.
"Now Anime(Visual Novel) may still classed as the niche market these days...but it got such variety...such potential that I am sure will make to the mainstream one day."-ThatDudeInTheSuede

#328 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostSargentJY, on 25 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I am a little surprised it is you who response, so allow me to explain my previous post then. Yes, I am not the actual winner(and for your info, the prize is now in EEL's hand as I promised during ACen), I put it this way so I can skip all the explanation(forgive my laziness)that I personally found not that relevant to my points, but as EEL and AmberClover's representative and the one who eventually run the booth, I do feel I have the right to express my concern. After all, EEL wasn't present due to her academic reason so she isn't fully aware what was it like during ACen other than through my description. Once again, if anything, I appreciate all your personal help and consideration during the process, but what I try to point out here is how your staff handle doujinshi central winner during the con, which I don't think would be different if it is EEL herself who was present. In fact, from the winner of last doujinshi central, who is also my friend and the one who told me about this contest initially, told me almost the same story and frustration. In fact, she told me it is the exact reason why she didn't join the contest this year. Therefore, I know this is not just simply due to the "special arrangement" for me and EEL, but a continuous one.(I didn't participate last year's Doujinshi Central, so I don't know what improvement has this contest go through, so I can only comment on the one I was involved) To put things in a simple way, what we(which means EEL and me both since we share the same view about this), is simply that the doujinshi central winner can be treated just like other artist alley artists, not as an exception, or, quoting my ex-champion friend, an "inconvenience". Even under the special arrangement, I did inform you beforehand that I only represent EEL's AmberClover, not Alluvion Project(the group I used for my own Fannovel contest entry), when running the table, so AmberClover should be still in the program book and the table arrangement plan. However, during the process, I do receive a feeling that we are a group "that just shows up out of nowhere and whining about not having table so ACen has to squeeze one out to pacify" I believe it is not you and your team's intention, but your team's response did give me such feeling. And it is still true that some of your team members, if not all, have no idea how to deal with me when I showed up and you weren't there. So I feel my concern should still have their meaning despite the fact I am merely a rep of the winner.

As for panelist group, I understand it is not your sphere of responsibility, but just so you know, it is true that we did get detailed description through emails and website beforehand about badge picking, but what I experienced is totally not the same as what ACen informed me beforehand. So once again, it is not about what happened before ACen, but about what happen DURING ACen.

Hope these explaination can further clarify what I mentioned in the previous post.

I am sorry for the surprise. One of the things my team and I try to accomplish is to ensure emails and communications receive a respond no later than 48 hours. Since I rarely see my full name posted on the forums, I believed you were asking for me directly. My Apologies for the misinterpretation. I understood your intention though, which is why I stated that the issue still stands that there was a problem . One of the things we intend to also improve on is our communication to our Production Department. That being said, I believe your message could have just as easily been conveyed using a different medium though, which is why I have always encouraged the completion of the Feedback Form so matters can be addressed, fixed, mended, and prevented privately and professionally.
Thank you again for your suggestions, I will be working with my team to increase the number of training sessions to ensure that the process is retained in more detail, so that issues like you mentioned can be prevented in the future.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#329 User is offline   infymys 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62557

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

2012 was my third ACen. Previous times I have attended the entire convention. Unfortunately, this year I could only do a single day. My concern was the inability to order single day badges online. I will assume that thousands of other attendees were disappointed in this lack of option as well. More frustration ensued when I and another waited in line for some 2-3 hours on Thursday to purchase Saturday badges and then were told by staff that only same day and next day badges were available for purchase and that I would have to return the following day (Friday) to get a Saturday badge. Needless to say, I voiced my frustration as this was never indicated on the website nor in any correspondence I had with ACen staff. There were numerous others in my situation and they too voiced their frustration at this situation. Fortunately, one of the senior staff members was very accommodating and allowed us to purchase Saturday badges at that time.

The other problem we had was the inability to purchase badges for others who were unable to do it in person. These people had employment and/or other engagements and were quite disappointed that we could not acquire badges for them. They were also unable to go purchase badges the next day (Friday) for Saturday due the same situation of employment and/or other engagements. They then decided NOT to attend because they were unwilling to stand in line on Saturday. And I'm sure you know, Saturday lines are extremely long and can take up to 3 or more hours to get a badge.

While the ones who did get badges had a great time (aside from the cancellation of Masquerade and some other events and the fire alarm issue), we were unable to enjoy ACen to its fullest since some of our friends didn't attend with us.

If you look at the other related cons including the two major ones (C2E2 and Comic Con) in the area, single day passes are available online and the ability to pick them up for others is allowed as well. I cannot tell you how much of a convenience this as it saves time and alleviates any frustration that may arise.

Simple solution is the allow single day badges to be purchased online and have them available for pick up at will call. There can always be a cut off date as to when these can be purchased and it will alleviate many headaches and issues come convention time. And people should be allowed to pick up/purchase badges others who cannot do it themselves.

I and many of my friends will be attending ACen 2013 and plans are for the entire convention but should problems arise and if some of us can only attend for one day, the option to purchase single day badges would be greatly appreciated but if such an option is unavailable then knowing them, they would rather not attend if they would have to spend half the day waiting in line instead of enjoying the convention itself.

Please take this into consideration when badges will be available for purchase online. Thank you for your time.
ACen 2015 Cosplays:
Mordred Pendragon/Saber of Red (armored) - Fate/Apocrypha
Wo-Class (Genderbend) - Kantai Collection
Gilgamesh - Fate/Zero version

#330 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

If there one thing this con need is a screwing stream for fighting games. Why? Because a lot of chitown best to solid play go to these events and it would be nice to stream it. ACen would make a great once a year local for May. That's my first suggestion. My next suggestion is make sure every time is on time it wasn't cool waiting for LM.C for god knows how long. Another one would to release a list of the vendors, so people know who is there a ahead of time. A lot of the vendors were Mr Krabs wannabe with their prices. I really like the con compare to the others...I really think people are being a little picky or it cloud be...I didn't get a hotel at ACen and just went from home to ACen for all three days. Tip for all the guys in chitown or rosemont. Just do that. Don't get a hotel room. also, I suggest ear plugs if there is a noise problems guys.

P.S. I know a good guy in the area that is a beast at streaming. We also have ketis as well.

But I forgot to tell ya, I, Maurice, will be at ACen 2013. Just make sure Cristina Vee is there.:D nah, just messing with ya.

P.S.S. Been going to ACen since 2011. So, I have been going for two years. I'm still new to this whole con though. I been to C2E2 and i'm going to AWC., but I still feel like a young player in the NBA when it comes to cons.

This post has been edited by MasterHavik: 22 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users