Anime Central Forums: 2012 Gripes thread - Anime Central Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2012 Gripes thread Post what you want fixed in ACen here!

#181 User is offline   mentokjebus 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61333

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

There is really no excuse for the level of body odor at Acen. It was cold all weekend!

#182 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostGabichox, on 30 April 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

That's something I never really thought about since I'm always worrying about what the cosplayers are doing. DX I'll take that into consideration next time I'm running a shoot.

Thanks! I would appreciate it and I know of others who were having issue's getting photos from behind people as well that will thank you also! :)

#183 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

I will have a much more detailed and long letter about this but:

As a panelist, I stood for almost THREE hours on Friday with FIVE people in line ahead of me to get my badge. (bonus was that I got to meet Melinda)

My friend on Saturday spent the exact same amount of time in the registration line with hundreds of people in front of her to get her badge.

Ya'all need to scrap how you do registration. Blow it up from the ground. Start over.

I am doing some heavy research so I can provide ideas, but I will gladly tell you Friday was the worst day of any con I've ever been to in my life. I've only been to two years of ACen and 4 years of Otakon, but my experience on Friday is very much making me look at attending other big cons that I don't have to fly to and spend over $1k to get to.

I don't believe in just ranting and I want to have constructive criticism, which is why my rant (that has been rewritten over 5 times already) is not up here.

But, seriously? MAPS, you've been doing this for 15 years. When something doesn't work, you don't just keep doing it and hope it gets better.

You FIX it.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#184 User is offline   Emberlynn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 50305

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostIzuro, on 30 April 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

What really gets me, though, is hearing the news of the masquerade's cancellation, which I wasn't aware of until reading through this thread. I wasn't attending or participating this year in particular, but nonetheless it still struck an awful chord with me. People have said that it's sad, that it's terrible, or that it's upsetting to hear that it happened, but I think the word we're looking for here is "unacceptable." For any anime convention, the cosplay/masquerade is always listed as the main event. Of course, people go to conventions for all sort of different reasons, as we've seen in this thread alone, but personally I feel that the masquerade is the one thing that shouldn't be interfered with. It is the one thing that other events should be scheduled around. To say that people have spent a lot of time and money in their efforts for the masquerade is too much of an understatement. I've been a cosplayer for many years now and I've been there, spending many a sleepless night before the con trying to get everything as perfect as you can. I feel like disregarding those efforts with a cancellation is about the most cruel thing that could be done, and I am just sitting here imagining what those affected must feel like.

My apologies for speaking up over something I wasn't even present for and therefore may not have all the information concerning it, but the fact that it was outright cancelled really leaves me feeling unsettled and I just wanted to state my thoughts on the matter. To whom it may concern, thank you for taking the time to read it.

^^ ^^
This. I didn't work this year -- I don't have the *exact* particulars, but was told that it was someone attending the rave who pulled the alarm - yet ... the Masquerade was cancelled ... so the next DANCE could start on time then extended instead of ending when it was scheduled. This makes no sense to me. (yes, I am aware second hand information is not always reliable -- but I go for consistency) It broke my heart to see so many people so unhappy. You will lose those attendees to other cons. FURTHER - to my knowledge - NO ONE knows who won the all too brief masquerade ... even though they at least allowed walk ons - or was the walk on merely "yeah, we know you worked a lot on your cos play .. walk on the stage so we can see it. this is beyond cruel. it also loudly speaks that dances are now more important at ACen - than the Masque that those who enter - spend a lot of time planning and stressing over. This alone, would make me rethink my con attendance choice. I am with those that say if attendees for one event are causing problems ... get rid of that event.

I know it's 2012, but not everyone has a smart phone. while it surprises me, since I have and love my android - it's tantamount to telling people who haven't been able to (or don't want to upgrade yet) that they're irrelevant to the attendance of the con.

As far as those who modeled for the Brand designers, it was extremely short sighted to not allow them to go anywhere in the con. why not give them a 1/2 price option for the day pass on the day they worked? that way they can add to the con ? I know a couple who would have loved to go to the dealer room ... but didn't think it fair that because of working - they had to buy a pass to do so. losing that attendee (who may have brought friends who would have paid full price ... doesn't make much sense to me. those brief attenders first time out could end up being future Acen enthusiasts / supporters / staffers ...

lastly ... the soap ad should be in a prominent place - FULL PAGE ... not small ad size. or pass out clothespins so people can decorate them and integrate them into their cos play.

This post has been edited by Emberlynn: 01 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

I don't care if you ARE the chosen one, this adventure requires PANTS.

#185 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostEmberlynn, on 01 May 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

As far as those who modeled for the Brand designers, it was extremely short sighted to not allow them to go anywhere in the con. why not give them a 1/2 price option for the day pass on the day they worked? that way they can add to the con ? I know a couple who would have loved to go to the dealer room ... but didn't think it fair that because of working - they had to buy a pass to do so. losing that attendee (who may have brought friends who would have paid full price ... doesn't make much sense to me. those brief attenders first time out could end up being future Acen enthusiasts / supporters / staffers ...

The models were not picked by Acen, they were picked by the designers. We models were lucky enough that the designers didn't bring in their own professional models, and gave us a chance to be on stage promoting their lines. I heard Sixh models didn't get anything out of the deal, but H&A models got a 10% discount on clothing :3 And I thought you had to be a paying Acen attendee to be a model anyways. But that's all besides the point, as the models were working for the designers, NOT Acen, therefore Acen owes nothing to the models. (And I'm saying this as one of the models who would have loved a discounted/free ticket. But really, they owe us nothing)
ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#186 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

View Postmyrla, on 01 May 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

I will have a much more detailed and long letter about this but:

As a panelist, I stood for almost THREE hours on Friday with FIVE people in line ahead of me to get my badge. (bonus was that I got to meet Melinda)

My friend on Saturday spent the exact same amount of time in the registration line with hundreds of people in front of her to get her badge.

Ya'all need to scrap how you do registration. Blow it up from the ground. Start over.

As a panelist, I presume you went to Liberty for pickup. We are revisiting that policy as we (as in IT) have trouble getting consistent connections from the Hyatt to main registration. This is also why we closed Liberty early and redirected them to Will Call. There are a lot of technicalities involved that I won't bore you with but know that we are going to change this. We understand the frustration. As you said, main registration is now happily perfected and we were clearing people out with lightning speed for at-con badge purchases. So trust that we will fix panel/comp badge pickup for next year as well. :D
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#187 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 01 May 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

As a panelist, I presume you went to Liberty for pickup. We are revisiting that policy as we (as in IT) have trouble getting consistent connections from the Hyatt to main registration. This is also why we closed Liberty early and redirected them to Will Call. There are a lot of technicalities involved that I won't bore you with but know that we are going to change this. We understand the frustration. As you said, main registration is now happily perfected and we were clearing people out with lightning speed for at-con badge purchases. So trust that we will fix panel/comp badge pickup for next year as well. :D

That didn't seem to be the case on Thursday. I was standing in the Will Call line and watched the Registration line since I had to wait a little while myself. It was as slow as molasses.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#188 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 01 May 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

I went in at 9am Friday and was redirected to Will Call. I didn't get my badge until noon or after.

It can easily be fixed by allowing panelist badges to be mailed. Mine was prepaid, which I was told was going to be the fastest and easiest way.

For someone on crutches having to wait in lines that do not move is one of the most painful things. Walking around was easier. That line pretty much put me at a pain level that was very difficult to overcome all day.

At this point I'd be better off paying full price for a badge and having it mailed than worrying about adding panels or saving money at ACen, I think.

But seriously, mailing panelist badges. I'll have more constructive criticism in my long rant.

This post has been edited by myrla: 01 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#189 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 01 May 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

Everyone at the booth worked for Angelic Pretty, and not all of them spoke english.

Alk, one of them went to college with a few of my friends. She was born here. She was only speaking to us and not the booth workers.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#190 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostMari_Queen_of_Fools, on 30 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

I don't know why, but it felt like this was the smelliest year out of the 6 I've been attending. I believe it was Saturday afternoon, we had changed out of our costumes and went back to the dealers room and when we entered the lobby of the convention center, it just wreaked of B.O. I know that there isn't anything that ACen itself can do about that, but man... con-funk at it's worst this year.

Yeah. Not gonna lie it was the stinkiest con I attended. Even the hamster trail was funky :wacko: And there isnt anything ACen staff can do about it..unless we make a new staff called the stink squad, and do a smell check and give them some soap lol. Sometimes I had to avoid riding the elevator with a stinky person just so I can wait for a decent one XD
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#191 User is offline   Chiitect88 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 58583

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostOutsane!, on 30 April 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Very valid point, but since my roommate is a member of IRT we were certain that it would clear. We had gone over the rules just to make sure. It is clearly a toy. It was partially see-through on the barrel for the lights to work. It wasn't even an airsoft gun, so nothing could be fired anyway. The orange tip is too big not to notice. The people whom we saw walking around the con did have the zip ties around the trigger and we asked them who they spoke to. They said another IRT staffer approved it, that's why we went back.

I just felt like the IRT members whom we spoke to earlier in the day were being unfair in letting someone who was breaking the rules before us pass through and then completely dismissing us. It just felt really rude and I wish they had been a little more civil. Really, I've had nothing to complain about IRT before this weekend and this was the only incident I experienced, so the rest of them were very courteous and knowledgeable.

Huh, well that's just messed up then. I'm sorry that happened, I'll be sure to bring it up when we start having meetings again (I'm taking notes).
"I feel the need... The need... For speed!"
Mav and Goose

#192 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

lina: Thursday we were still getting into the groove - new staff take time to warm up. I'm not authorized to announce numbers but trust me, we were rockin' !

myrla: Crutches - You should have seen someone in special needs so we could have accommodated you. (Not intended as snarky just mentioning that in case it is an issue for anyone else :))
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#193 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

My one gripe: the room for Anime Hell/Midnight Madness was too small and had only one screen. Needs to be back in the main ballroom.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#194 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostEmberlynn, on 01 May 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

I agree with what Washu said. I was also a model for the shows and we were given the opportunity to work with the designers. That alone should be good enough for anyone(plus H&A models were given %15 discount on Sunday). Also, you are going to a con. If you expected a badge then you were sorely mistaken and if you planned on enjoying the rest of the con you should have bought a ticket like everyone else. Now if you wanted a free badge you can join staff or become a panelist.

Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#195 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postkahad, on 01 May 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

My one gripe: the room for Anime Hell/Midnight Madness was too small and had only one screen. Needs to be back in the main ballroom.

:eek: They moved it!? I didnt staff this year and I was really looking forward to going but I missed it. Wow I did not know that.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#196 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 01 May 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

myrla: Crutches - You should have seen someone in special needs so we could have accommodated you. (Not intended as snarky just mentioning that in case it is an issue for anyone else :))

I did. they were great when it came to the debacle of the VGO thing on Friday. But I didn't see Special Needs until after my badge was gotten. I didn't want to lose my place in line when so many were piling up.

ACen 2011 Cosplay:

#197 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

View Postexcel excel, on 01 May 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

:eek: They moved it!? I didnt staff this year and I was really looking forward to going but I missed it. Wow I did not know that.

Yep. It was in the ballroom next to where Panel Programming HQ used to be.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#198 User is offline   Jang Hee Joon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5162

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostEGA_Loli, on 29 April 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Seven years I've been coming to ACEN, since 2005 (very first con ever, in fact).

ACEN 2012 is my last one. Lot of fond memories over the years but I guess all good things must come to an end.

I'll start off by saying the time I spent at ACEN this weekend was overall still a good experience. Reunited with some old friends, met some cool new people, got to see a childhood hero play live and give a panel, and heard some great music spun by awesome DJ's.

But something that's bugged me for a while is the changed overall social environment and how a seemingly old timer like me can no longer relate to it.

What do I mean by that? Well, I suppose one might only understand if they've been going to ACEN or anime cons in general for as long as I have or longer. But basically (and I don't mean this as an attack on anyone in particular), I think that the social atmosphere and current generation has moved in a direction that I feel does not live up to the ACEN of yore, the times I absolutely enjoyed ACEN and looked forward to this time of year.

To give some examples, back in ACEN 2005 I was mesmerized by how chill a lot of people were and all the things there was to do; a world beyond the confines of suburban high school. I felt I could go up to anyone and strike up a simple conversation, and plenty of people were interested in meeting someone like me: a naive, foolish high school student who was way too into video games and anime. Heck, people complemented my shirt of all things. I was asking all sorts of people for pictures. And the people of partying age back then? I looked up to them and hoped I could be as cool and be able to have fun like that when I came of age.

Well, now I am that age, and wonder if those fascinations were misguided.

This year? I try and strike up a conversation in a line and the other person clearly isn't interested beyond reading the program guide, and nobody else in proximity of me cares enough either to do the same. People just don't seem as laid back or willing to venture outside their own circles. Some are too wrapped up in certain activities to notice that there's all sorts of people with similar interests present. I don't even care enough to bring my camera to take pictures. It really is quite depressing. While I'm sure many of you can provide all sorts of counter examples to my gripes from this year, I still feel that what I experienced this year and recent years is closer to the norm and not the exception.

Any issues with delays, lines, or any other gripes typically made of ACEN? I personally could forgive all of that, if it weren't for the status quo of social interaction.

Maybe this "golden age" of ACEN never existed and what fascinated me back then was just a statistical anomaly. Maybe I've just changed too much as a person. Maybe I'm the odd one out and am doing everyone a favor by retiring from ACEN.

I realize that this isn't an issue that will just magically go away after I make this post, and that realistically there's very little that any one person can do about it. All I can really do is hope someone reads and understands what I have to say.

A lot of great people have chosen to move on, and now it's time for me to follow in their footsteps.

Thanks, and peace out.

^ This, except this won't necessarily be my last one... Although I sure felt close to it at the end of the weekend. My first time going to this convention was back in 2003, when I was a really stupid, geeky kid getting ready to get out of high school. I'd never attended a convention before that time, so I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was actually so excited to be there, that I explored every place that I could with some sort of interest... Even if the panels didn't grasp me (and they never will, sorry), something else did.

The one thing that I, too, noticed about recent years (2008-present) is the social hierarchy that seems to plague this entire convention. In my first year, being very socially awkward and shy, I was able to actually TALK with a bunch of people waiting in line for Duel Jewel. And not feel... Any anxiety? It was like a blessing that punched all of my social problems away into deep space, while for once in my life, I became chatter-head. I'm still really good friends with one of them to this day, but other than that... I feel the elitist vibe 100%. Like if you're not cosplaying, you just get strange looks from people that don't even want to have anything to do with you.

My view might be slightly different than this poster's, but does anyone else feel the same...? It seems like making new friends without having to use the forums/Facebook/Twitter for a "meetup" place is long dead in the digital age. And to me, that's sad, because it takes all the fun out of adventuring and meeting new people. Kind of like an RPG. I can adapt to other issues the con has, and that's fine. No one can be 100% perfect; it's easily understandable with thousands in attendance. Just socially, it's like you're in high school again, only this time nerds snub nerds.

#199 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostZSchleicher, on 01 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

My view might be slightly different than this poster's, but does anyone else feel the same...? It seems like making new friends without having to use the forums/Facebook/Twitter for a "meetup" place is long dead in the digital age. And to me, that's sad, because it takes all the fun out of adventuring and meeting new people. Kind of like an RPG. I can adapt to other issues the con has, and that's fine. No one can be 100% perfect; it's easily understandable with thousands in attendance. Just socially, it's like you're in high school again, only this time nerds snub nerds.

I haven't had this problem...maybe you're in the wrong places? I waited in lines for autographs and made friends with both the groups in front of and behind me every time (I was by myself for all but one autograph wait and I went to 4 or 5). We didn't exchange information or anything, but we had a good ol' time waiting :) And I went to a photoshoot where I made two new friends who both connected with me on Facebook and I chatted with each of them for a few hours just last night! I was in cosplay and I made friends in line with both cosplayers and a group of girls not in cosplay who'd never been to a con before. I've been cosplaying for a while now, so I do know some cosplayers who act like they're better than everyone else just cause they can handle a sewing machine, but most of us are nice and down to earth, I promise! ^^
ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#200 User is offline   Inmate77 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10164

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostSaphiraRaworth, on 01 May 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

^^^ All of these. I was probably the only one who did this. We had an incident on Friday night and another I believe that Saturday morning to which we found out people were faking badges. There were also a few persons on interest that we were on the lookout for that had revoked badges and/or banned from ACen.

I respect that you were doing your job but I wanted to raise a point. Besides the convention center and the major events, one can technically access any area of the Hyatt and the other hotels. It's really hard to enforce this in public areas of the hotel. I say this since I know some people that are outright banned that were at the convention in these areas.

#201 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostInmate77, on 01 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

I respect that you were doing your job but I wanted to raise a point. Besides the convention center and the major events, one can technically access any area of the Hyatt and the other hotels. It's really hard to enforce this in public areas of the hotel. I say this since I know some people that are outright banned that were at the convention in these areas.

I saw over a dozen people walking around the sales floor with last year's badges on like it was no big deal. reported who i could.

ACen 2011 Cosplay:

#202 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostZSchleicher, on 01 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

The one thing that I, too, noticed about recent years (2008-present) is the social hierarchy that seems to plague this entire convention.

*snip*

I feel the elitist vibe 100%. Like if you're not cosplaying, you just get strange looks from people that don't even want to have anything to do with you.

*snip*

Just socially, it's like you're in high school again, only this time nerds snub nerds.

I think I might make another topic for this once I organize my thoughts better, but this does kind of annoy me. There were people at the Pony shoot making fun of the cosplayers, and my girlfriend mentioned people being snobby about other cosplays. This is NO GOOD. We are all nerds here. We shouldn't be picking on each other, and doubly so at ACEN. We get enough junk from the rest of the world the other 362 days of the year that we don't need to give each other that same junk at what should be a safe haven to relax and have fun and be ourselves.
derp

#203 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostOathThe1st, on 30 April 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Minor complaint, also, but would it be too much to ask for food that's actually affordable and not a mile away? At an event like that, it is important for people to keep hydrated and nourished. They can't do that if they can't afford to eat. Food in Disney World is cheaper.

Isn't much help coming your way for this. Learn about the area, determime your options, and prepare ahead of time.

#204 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Im going to piggyback onto the weird looks for not cosplaying comment. My husband and I had changed out of our costume on Friday. We both like to dress nice, so we did. Some guy had made a comment about us looking nice (which was a compliment) but then he asked if this was our first con. His eyes nearly shot out of his head when I said 2005 was the first. He then proceeded to ask where our costumes were. Why is it weird to not want to cosplay all day every day?
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#205 User is offline   Inmate77 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10164

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

View Postmyrla, on 01 May 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I saw over a dozen people walking around the sales floor with last year's badges on like it was no big deal. reported who i could.

That wasn't the point I was trying to raise. It's easy to enforce wearing badges at the sales floor. I was referring to the Hyatt and Hilton. Like the lobby, hotel rooms and the panels. In those areas, it's pretty impossible to enforce since the lobby is a public area.

#206 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostSarahlicious, on 01 May 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Im going to piggyback onto the weird looks for not cosplaying comment. My husband and I had changed out of our costume on Friday. We both like to dress nice, so we did. Some guy had made a comment about us looking nice (which was a compliment) but then he asked if this was our first con. His eyes nearly shot out of his head when I said 2005 was the first. He then proceeded to ask where our costumes were. Why is it weird to not want to cosplay all day every day?

It's really not uncommon for that, because I know people especially want to change out of their costumes because they're either tired or keep getting stopped every 5 seconds for photos. I never had to do this yet, myself, but it is inevitable and there's definitely nothing wrong with it. :)

#207 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Figured I ought to add my 2 cents!
First, the bad/low points/room for improvement
-like everyone else has said, lack of communication. The ONLY thing my bf was super-stoked about was getting to the MtG vintage tournament, which was listed as being at 10am in the Embassy int'l ballroom. I saw nothing about it bring cancelled, but when we got there, there was no one there-not even a sign to let us know it was cancelled. I understand things happen, but I would have liked to know that it was cancelled, b/c by the time we were done looking elsewhere for info about it (no one knew) it was too late for me to get into either the AP fashion show line (which was a mess, btw) or get into the bad anime panel. Let us know it's been cancelled-a handwritten sign on the door would have sufficed!

-Nazi cosplayers. I don't care if it's from "Hetalia" -why does that make it okay? According to the program guide "hateful symbols" were not allowed. As a person who has many friends that are Jewish, and a history buff, Nazi symbols offend me greatly. No one asked these guys to change w/in the 2 hours I saw some lawyer in full regalia goose stepping in the dealers room!

-The masq. being cut short. I have no words. Totally unfair to everyone who worked their butts off to make their costumes/write their skits. I mean, c'mon-can't the soap bubble spare 90mins? It ran until 5:30 am, for crying out loud!

Now , the good
-IRT was great this year, from my experiences with them!

-The AP tea party rocked! (aside from some confusion re:where to pickup our tickets)

Um...that's all! Overall I give this con experience a "C" -average, but some amazing moments , lots of room for improvement.
ACen 2014 Cosplay/lolita list
TBD!

#208 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postmyrla, on 01 May 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

For someone on crutches having to wait in lines that do not move is one of the most painful things. Walking around was easier. That line pretty much put me at a pain level that was very difficult to overcome all day.

I wish you'd have come to see us. We're here just to make sure that people don't have to face this kind of problem.

The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#209 User is offline   CyborgedBacon 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61839

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm not really sure what to say since some of the things I wanted to say have been already discussed.

As a first time con-goer, I found the Guidebook app to be useful along with being able to add a reminder of how long you have until event "x" starts. I was a bit surprised by how many times it needed to be updated (I wanna say at least three times on Friday, two on Saturday and then once on Sunday). I know things get added/changed/moved around so I won't fuse too much over it. I (along with my group) did get slightly frustrated that IRT couldn't tell us where to go for autograph signings or panels, it wasn't until we ventured over to the Hyatt where I think an ACEN staff member or veteran volunteer( I didn't catch her name) was kind enough to tell us where we could find the events or programs that we were going to attend later that day and even took us to where the first panel was going to begin (Johnny Bosch) that alone was great especially since this was our first con and now we know where most of the rooms are for next year.

I had a great experience as I'm sure my group did, we did run into some friendly IRT and some not so friendly ones, it wasn't a bad experience for a first con but I think there is plenty of potential for improvements. The line rule needs to be fixed or done away with. The LM.C line was ridiculous and it was awkward going into the...er...correct? line that was against the pillars Friday night without receiving death glares from the "other line" when I met up with my group who was waiting. No lie....the stench that night was awful especially once in the ballroom and everyone decided to raise their hands in the air only to be met with the power of B.O. during most of the songs played.

I think it would've been fair for everyone who was waiting in line for the VGO Concert, Eyeshine, LM.C and others to know the exact reason for the long delays. IRT couldn't give an answer other then "It will start in x amount of minutes/hours), when it was more a guesstimate. I'm not sure if it was lack of communication but it was slightly ridiculous none the less.

Leaving Sunday afternoon from the Eyeshine concert we struck up a conversation with someone who volunteered for the past three years with ACen and was part of the A.V. department that told us the reason for the delays was because they either received the wrong sets of cables or received the right cables but they weren't the correct length.

I wasn't expecting anything to be perfect but I would like to return next year if some of gripes in this thread are taken into account and some of these issues are better taken care of next year.

#210 User is offline   NarumiKenshin 

• Exhibit Space
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9201

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostInmate77, on 01 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

The area that this IRT staffer was talking about was the Convention Center. While you are correct, that for the most part, a banned person can be in a public area, on the other hand, they can not be in ANY private area that is hosted by the event.
This would include things like, the Convention Center, Panel Rooms, Guest signings, Major events. Anything that requires a badge, they can not be in. This would even be the case for a non-banned person who happens to have no badge.

Exhibit Space ADH - Exhibit Hall - 2012
Merchandising ADH - 2010, 2011
Sales Department Head - 2009
Convention Operations - 2008
Video Gaming Staff - 2007
Man's Greatest Fear is Mankind Itself
-Gendo Ikari-

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked