Anime Central Forums: 2012 Gripes thread - Anime Central Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2012 Gripes thread Post what you want fixed in ACen here!

#151 User is offline   lainee 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61683

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostSprinklePuff, on 30 April 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

9. The AP tea party situation. Need I say more? You guys really dropped the ball on that one.

What happened at the tea party? o_O

#152 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

View Postlainee, on 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

That's what I'd like to know.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#153 User is offline   SprinklePuff 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61967

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postlainee, on 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

It's just that even by Saturday afternoon, no IRT, staff members, or customer service workers I asked knew where the party would be, and where to pick up tickets. That information should have been available at least a few days in advance of Friday.
Sprinkle Puff

#154 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Oh, that's not good. I thought that the party got cancelled or something. :angry:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#155 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 30 April 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

All I can say is that I know from my end the cold and the fact that I got sick didn't help my situation. Rooms would be nice, maybe, instead of outside places we could do them inside in a desginated area, or areas? Might be easier and also would be simpler for people to find the spots?

I tried to pull in as many people as possible so they wouldn't have a chance to get sick.. the larger gatherings moved to the con center proper... and the big issue was that if we did pull people in, they would have had to share the lower dome, which got crowded -extremely- fast and became a noise issue for video programming. Many people didn't want to tread on other groups' feet, which, while polite and considerate, was still really hard to work around with. If you get a chance, please go ahead and place all your thoughts and suggestions in the photoshoot feedback thread.

#156 User is offline   Izuro 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4277

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I had some mild gripes of my own, but most of those have pretty much been expressed by others already. For the most part, I found scheduling to be a hassle because things changed so much that it was impossible to plan anything. Conversely, it was more like we had to plan on our plans falling through, and that's not really how it should be. Several panels seemed to be placed in rooms that were completely ill capable of holding the desired attendance. It's one thing if a certain panel happens to attract more attention than expected, but it happened to me three times, personally, and I've heard similar stories from others.

What really gets me, though, is hearing the news of the masquerade's cancellation, which I wasn't aware of until reading through this thread. I wasn't attending or participating this year in particular, but nonetheless it still struck an awful chord with me. People have said that it's sad, that it's terrible, or that it's upsetting to hear that it happened, but I think the word we're looking for here is "unacceptable." For any anime convention, the cosplay/masquerade is always listed as the main event. Of course, people go to conventions for all sort of different reasons, as we've seen in this thread alone, but personally I feel that the masquerade is the one thing that shouldn't be interfered with. It is the one thing that other events should be scheduled around. To say that people have spent a lot of time and money in their efforts for the masquerade is too much of an understatement. I've been a cosplayer for many years now and I've been there, spending many a sleepless night before the con trying to get everything as perfect as you can. I feel like disregarding those efforts with a cancellation is about the most cruel thing that could be done, and I am just sitting here imagining what those affected must feel like. It wasn't me who was affected, but I know exactly how I would feel had I put in that hard work and had it taken away like that. I know there were issues with the fire alarm and all, but there's no reason why the event shouldn't have continued after the fact. Staff says they're looking for constructive criticism, so I suppose I can't say too much towards it since this is past and done with, other than "please don't even consider doing that again".

My apologies for speaking up over something I wasn't even present for and therefore may not have all the information concerning it, but the fact that it was outright cancelled really leaves me feeling unsettled and I just wanted to state my thoughts on the matter. To whom it may concern, thank you for taking the time to read it.
ACen 2011:
- Hinata Hideki, "Angel Beats!" and Fujisaki Yusuke ('Bossun'), "SKET Dance"

ACen 2012:
- Kihara Atsuro, "Devil Survivor"

#157 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Postmadhattr999, on 30 April 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

(Autograph Line Stuff)

(To start, I'm not staff or anything. These are simply my opinions/insights/suggestions as an attendee who has gone to 30-40 conventions.)

The policy they used for the autograph sessions was based on what you're suggesting here (a general pre-line). I found it to be extremely organised, reasonable, efficient, and generally fair. However, I do agree that is unfair to tell people things will work one way (in the program guide), and have things work another way in actuality.

So I think they should take the 30 minute rule out of the list of policies.

To give people some perspective, let me explain my thoughts on autograph line policies:

Guest A can provide X number of autographs per hour (and lets assume each session is an hour for simplicity). Ultimately for the popular guests, there are thousands of fans who want autographs. And that number would go up even higher if the autographs were more easy to obtain (example below).

Chris Sabat can provide 50 autographs in an hour.
There are probably 10 fans who would wait 120 minutes for an autograph.
There are probably 50 fans who would wait 60 minutes for an autograph.
There are probably 200 fans who would wait 30 minutes for an autograph.
There are probably 2000 fans who would wait 1 minute for an autograph.

So it should be apparent to everyone that the demand for the autographs are much higher than the supply of autographs, and therefore, many people will simply not be able to get an autograph. The question becomes: How will people be selected to receive an autograph? There are a few ways to determine this.

1. based upon a commodity for each fan: time spent waiting (the standard), or money (which nobody really wants, but is used for celebrities).
2. random lottery.
3. some weighted combination of the above.

What ACEN has in its guidelines is #3. What was actually used this year was #1. Let's go back to the example.

This is what actually occured for Chris' autograph session (numbers approximate):

Chris can sign 50 autographs in an hour. 10 fans waited 120 minutes, 50 fans waited 60 minutes, 200 fans came at the 30 minute mark. The line was cut off at 50 people, so the 10 fans who waited the longest got autographs, and 40 of the 50 fans who waited 60 minutes got autographs (basically by lottery of arrival time).

This is what would have happened if staff had followed the policy in the guidebook:

Chris can sign 50 autographs in an hour. 10 fans loiter around the autograph area for 90 minutes, 50 fans loiter around the autograph area for 30 minutes, 200 fans don't loiter and show up at the 30 minute mark. Everyone rushes to get in the newly forming autograph line. Now there are 260 fans trying to get into a line for 50 people, and its basically a lottery of who is closest to the start of the line when the line is called So you might think that there is a 50/260 chance to get an autograph (which is not really that good a chance). Except that the people willing to wait longest, were closer to the autograph area, and thus, probably had a better chance in the lottery.

Now seeing what happened and comparing to what could/should have happened, there are two topics to debate.

#1. Logistics.

We'll start with logistics. What is the reasonable distance that you can keep away, someone who is willing to wait longer than the prescribed time? There are dealer booths all around the autograph area. What is to stop them from standing there for 2 hours? Do you use an entirely different building for autographs and not let anyone in it? How do you prevent running to the autograph area at the prescribed time? You can stop one person from running, but it is much harder to stop and discipline 50 people. And ultimately, the people willing to wait longer will have an advantage in the lottery component of an autograph system. That brings me to #2.

#2. Fairness.

First, I pose the question: Who deserves an autograph more? Someone willing to wait 120 minutes for an autograph, or someone only willing to wait 60 minutes? Even leaving that question aside, and sticking with a 30 minute wait-time restriction, I would propose that it is next to impossible to provide a FAIR lottery component of the autograph session based on limited wait-time. The only thing that would be a truly fair lottery would be to use a ticket system (which is a viable option, but has its own logistical problems).

And so in conclusion, I would recommend that ACEN either throw out the 30 minute wait-limit altogether and base autograph lines on who is willing to wait the longest, or to switch to a ticket system. This was a very long ramble, but hopefully I provided some insight to a few people in the very least.

(As an aside, I think there are issues with doing a ticket system. The main issue is that people will get tickets who don't really care whether they get an autograph or not, simply because it does not cost them any time or money. At the same time, there are die-hard fans who are desperate to meet their favourite guest who may not get to do so, because of someone who doesn't really care taking up their spot.)

Well I was talking in terms of the concert not autographs but there was an issue with that too, lines in general really. In regard to the fairness portion of your post, I absolutely do agree that the longer you wait says something about who deserves what more. I myself, for out-of-convention jrock concerts, line up no later that 10am for a 7:30pm concert. So I can understand the mentality completely. It was my first con however and the whole idea of line up 1hr before one of my favorite bands made me super anxious, if I could I woulda been in line at 10am per usual.

What I had discussed with someone at the con was in fact using a ticket system but right when the con opens in the morning. So the earlier you show up for the con and get in the earlier you'll be able to get said ticket. So instead of dealing with the frustration of multiple long lines, it's the one initial headache and then smooth sailing. Maybe this idea isn't all that great as I'm not to savvy with con running but people line up earlier for registration and such anyway. Idk all I can say is that I hope next time one of my fave bands play chicago it's not at a con >.< oddly enough the first come first serve method used at venues is less stressful though I understand with multiple events that'd be such a hassle.

#158 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 50679

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostHarajukuGirl, on 30 April 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

2. Autographs: There were alot of con-goers that had more then 2 things signed. Some had 3 and some had 4. If they are going to have more then 2 things signed, they need have their 2 things signed then get back in line and signed the rest. I don't know if it was the guest handlers job or the Irt job but they just let them have more then 2 things signed which took more time. Also taking pictures took alot of time cause everybody wanted to take a picture and there was some guests that didn't allow photographs cause they wanted to make sure everybody got their autograph.

Usually, guests have final say on how many items they are willing to sign. They will often sign more things if they are DVD covers or merchandise that they actually worked on (because you are supporting them as artists). Staff does not make this known for obvious reasons. And I'm not trying to lessen the value of your complaint at all, but signing 3-4 DVD covers instead of 2 adds about an extra 10 seconds (per person) and, in the big scheme of things, impacts the line very little. Asking to record guests' character lines, or posing with the guest adds several minutes per person, and should (in my opinion) be a much larger concern. The other thing that really slows the line down is people not opening their wall-scrolls ahead of time, or not removing their DVD covers from the DVD cases.

View PostHarajukuGirl, on 30 April 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

3. Lines: They had one huge line for all autographs but if your way in the back how are you suppose to hear if they are lining up for that one particular guest that you wanted to get your stuff signed. Irt were walking back and forth. My friend and I were asking questions but its like they didn't know anything so we had to ask someone else. Also some of the autograph signing started at 10:15am, that is not enough time if the Dealer's room opens at 10am cause you gotta run all the way in the back and that's a long way. When I got there its like the line for all autographs already had 60 people in line. I was shocked how fast they can get there all they way in the back. You gotta give the con-goer's more time to line up.

I am guessing that you are unaware of the side entrance from the restaurant. This entrance is much closer to the autograph area and is probably why the line was already long when you arrived.

#159 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostCatmato, on 30 April 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

I dressed as a character from Katawa Shoujo, and was looking for a cosplay meetup for it. Since it's still fairly new (and arguably unrelated) there was no meetup for KS specifically, but after a search of the forums, I discovered it was being lumped in the the H-Anime/Games shoot. I don't really understand why it was combined with that shoot.

On Saturday night, the Madoka cosplay shoot in the dome ran over its time limit (11:00pm - 11:30pm). The H-Anime/Game shoot that was supposed to be after it (11:30pm - 12:00am) simply never happened. When the Madoka crowd cleared out around 11:40, there was no apparent staff member to try to organize anything like the other shoots I saw. After everyone milling about for a while, the Catherine/Persona shoot eventually started a few minutes early. I only met one other cosplayer there from KS who also had to search the forums to determine when the meetup was supposed to happen.

I guess I'm just asking for a little more transparency on "grouped" events like this, and to stick to the provided schedules.

Sorry, that was the infamous "purple shirt gent" from the complaints in other gatherings. The jerk pretty much pushed us back a good 15 minutes for Panty Stocking. I'm sorry you guys were hit too :/
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#160 User is offline   Sai077 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57152

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

The lack of communication in the TTG rooms was unacceptable. Oh, you didn't know the draft was for sure cancelled until 15 minutes before it was supposed to start? Thanks! And the "lack of product" excuse is unacceptable. This draft was planned for a month and you're telling me you can't get some boxes over a month's time?

Also, I will jump on the bandwagon and agree that scheduling was horrible. A lot of panels on the actual smartphone app were not listed anywhere in the actual programming guide.

I also agree that con-goer behavior was much worse this year than the past five years I've attended. Litter, shouting, huge props, random stops, clogging up halls; it's common sense people, be aware of others around you.

If I had to give this year's con a grade it would be a definite F. Just an absolute mess this year, and I will be taking my money to a more organized con next year, and one that cares to keep staff members and con goers up to date about changes and whatnot. Many of the IRT were not helpful whatsoever, and some were just downright mean.

#161 User is offline   OathThe1st 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61972

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

This was my first year, so I can't really compare this year to ACen's "glory years" or anything. However, I still noticed some extremely annoying things. Most of it already got mentioned. However, there were several major problems for my group.

Hotel staff. Parking, getting our room and paying for it, even trying to leave... Everything dealing with hotel staff was a freaking fiasco. I understand it's a high-stress time for them, there are lots of people to take care of and a lot of things to keep track of. But for goodness sakes, keep your stories straight people. Don't tell our group we can do one thing and then have another person deny it and refuse to work with us as we had been told we could be. Definitely won't be staying at the Hyatt next time, even if it IS on-site.

Second major issue was the Crystal Ball. Echoing prior sentiments, that was the biggest let-down of the entire convention. I don't care if it was an "exclusive event". If I'm shelling out an extra $25 (plus other money for outfits for the Ball), it had better be worth it. They made it sound like the dress standard would be much higher than it was, so my boyfriend and I ended up spending more than necessary to make sure we'd be formal enough to be allowed in. Pretzels, water, and overpriced drinks the bartenders couldn't even make properly? And the music. Goodness gracious. I asked for "Waltz For the Moon" and the DJ looked at me like I was a making things up. Why would they NOT have some of the most popular, actual dance-related anime/video game songs in existence? Absolutely baffling. At risk of sounding rude, the Crystal Ball was pathetic. Seriously, my high school Winter Formals were more impressive, and I come from a fairly poor high school. I'm not even going to bother with the Ball next time.

Minor complaint, also, but would it be too much to ask for food that's actually affordable and not a mile away? At an event like that, it is important for people to keep hydrated and nourished. They can't do that if they can't afford to eat. Food in Disney World is cheaper.

The line were done very awkwardly. We were lined up for the Lolita Fashion Show on Saturday. The line ended up being split off from where the front of the line actually was and moved around the corner, well away from where the show actually was. I ended up guided several confused people to where the line actually was, and as said, I'm not only not staff but a con newbie. I didn't even run into some of the worse lines, but if even that smaller one was like that, I can't imagine lines for some of the more major events.

Organization overall was very poor, mainly in terms of space allotment. Photoshoots, panels--pretty much every event either had far too little space for the people attending, or there was TONS of extra room due to gross over-estimation of event attendance. It everything much harder, more chaotic, and made for far more people who couldn't attend the things they really wanted to.

Then the emergency evacuation on Saturday. Yes, the evac itself was handled very well. Once outside, though, it was a madhouse. No one knew what was going on, we kept being moved from one place to another and back again... Con staff REALLY needs better communication and coordination.

All that said, however, I really did have fun. I would love to try again next year, hopefully with less issues.

#162 User is offline   KurolokiRoku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1211

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

I don't have any huge gripes, but I do have a suggestion. There are other large rooms in the convention center. Would it be possible to move the dances there? I read that there is a larger room in the Hilton as well...? My husband tries going to both Hardcore Synergy and the Soap Bubble every year, and each year he misses out or only stays for a few minutes because it begins late.

Maybe the concerts could be held in that room as well, so that you could set up the stage equipment well in advance of concerts? I don't know why the LM.C one was late (I didn't go), but that year we had SID, the concert was about as late and I heard it was due to equipment setup.

And now onto other things...

View PostBakaBarbarian, on 29 April 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Let's just call this con what it is: an excuse for a lot of people to behave really badly. etc....

I don't really have anything to add, I just thought that post was awesome and well thought out. I think it was on the first or second page...

View Postsolanis, on 29 April 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

The indie lolita fashion show was given a panel room that was WAY too small. The line for the show snaked all the way from the door down through the hall and to the escalators. Literally hundreds of people were turned away because the panel room was so small. Next year, the show needs a MUCH bigger room!

View PostJediNight, on 30 April 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

We do our best to meet the varying needs of panelists when creating the schedule. Sometimes events end up being more popular than expected, or scheduling conflicts arise, etc. Room placement was also based on the application's stated attendance, but I think some panelists didn't understand what was being asked exactly. So for next year we'll be reviewing the panel application to improve clarity.

I was shocked when I found out that the show would be held in a normal panel room. I've been going to Acen for about 10 years and I was in the early Lolita panels, and even back then they attracted so many people that it was common for large groups to be turned away. You guys have been hosting the KK fashion show for a couple of years; you should have known how many people a Lolita fashion show would attract without having to ask the panelist.

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 30 April 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Suggestion 4: Restructure the Artist Alley. The main sellers area was easy to get around and find things in because they had a really good flow this year. However, the AA was rather crowded and disjointed. There was really not real flow or ease of space. While looking for a specific table, I went throught the AA at least three times, and I could never acutally find the right table. Best solution is to run all the isles in the same direction.

FYI there is a map of the artist alley and a list of exhibiting artists in the program book.

Personally, I felt the flow of the alley was better than in previous years. I agree that the best thing is probably to run them all in the same direction, though. I still felt a little confused while walking through it this year.

Someone else griped about artists ignoring them, but I must have forgotten to multiquote them. Some artists really are that rude, but I think most of them are either just shy, or are so engrossed in their drawing that they don't realize people are standing at their tables. On one hand, it bothers me when artists do this, but on the other hand, from the artist's perspective, there are SO MANY people who walk by the table who try to avoid my gaze or flat out ignore my greeting because they're afraid I will try to pressure them into buying something. It's sort of a no-win for everyone.

Personally, I try to at least say hello to people who walk past my table, and appear attentive if someone is browsing my wares. Smalltalk is very difficult for me, but I do attempt it occasionally. If I'm chatting with someone (a friend or overly friendly con-goer), I try to interrupt them so that I can greet the people standing at my table. I think it's important for artists to appear as though they care about their potential customers, no matter how shy or how awful at smalltalk they might be. It helps to walk around the alley to get some ideas on what to say to people (and what NOT to say/do as well).
kuroloki.deviantart.com
www.rokulie.com
Please come visit studio RoKulié in the artist alley!

#163 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

dear staff / Maps people
still waiting on some input
would be super duper nice.
2015 Cosplay

#164 User is offline   shinigamichan05 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60011

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Had some issues, posted suggestions in the suggestions forums. After looking through the gripes for a while gotta say my biggest gripe has become the people complaining about the trash. You seem to have all seen it and be bothered by it, but the whole weekend I didn't see ANYBODY do anything about it. This isn't something like guest signings that we have no control over.

Messes are gonna happen and even if you don't make them, picking up one flyer and putting it in the trash will help. :3 just a thought for the future

#165 User is offline   NarumiKenshin 

• Exhibit Space
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9201

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostKrystal, on 30 April 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

I was staring to faint because I was wearing a six pound wig, and my boyfriend was carrying me out of the dealers room to get some water and lie down. Our badges were tucked away at the bottom of our bag because people kept asking us to remove them for pictures.

We were not allowed to leave the exhibit hall until he got the badges, while in the meantime I basically crupled to the floor in the wing of the Expoteria. I'm glad to know that IRT members are so compassionate.

Unfortunately they may not have known that. This again comes to a matter of keeping it out, regardless of your cosplay. Either that or prepare to hold people back in a line
while you pull it out. I'm sure it was not fun feeling that way and I am glad you got somewhere safe, but maybe next time, create a pocket in your cosplay for a badge to
have, but tucked away for pics!

Exhibit Space ADH - Exhibit Hall - 2012
Merchandising ADH - 2010, 2011
Sales Department Head - 2009
Convention Operations - 2008
Video Gaming Staff - 2007
Man's Greatest Fear is Mankind Itself
-Gendo Ikari-

#166 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostNarumiKenshin, on 30 April 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Unfortunately they may not have known that. This again comes to a matter of keeping it out, regardless of your cosplay. Either that or prepare to hold people back in a line
while you pull it out. I'm sure it was not fun feeling that way and I am glad you got somewhere safe, but maybe next time, create a pocket in your cosplay for a badge to
have, but tucked away for pics!

But in a situation like that, don't you think staff should have some common sense and just let her though? I mean, even if she didn't have a damn badge what the hell would they have done? not let her leave?
I'm sorry but this bothers me very much.
2015 Cosplay

#167 User is offline   Shintarou Inuzuka 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 27945

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

In my opinion, it wasn't nearly as disjointed as last year, but a couple of things I'd say should be considered for 2013:

First of all, please put the locations of the photoshoots on the maps! Newcomers would probably have no clue where these locations that have nothing that corresponds to them on the maps are, and I'm sure IRT and the help desk have more important matters to attend to than to explain to congoers where these mystery locations are. Not to mention that there were several locations (such as the "tree patch") that didn't seem to be listed as cosplay photoshoot areas last year, or at least I don't remember ever seeing them before, and even the staff gave incorrect locations (the tree patch was not actually the same location as the east outdoor wall); it was a stroke of dumb luck that prevented me from missing one of the photoshoots I wanted to attend. It would save a lot of cosplayers a lot of hassle to just make such a small and I'm sure easy addition to the maps. (It didn't help that one of the IRT members flat-out ignored me and went around me without even acknowledging my existence when I was right in front of her asking where one of the photoshoot locations was. Unfortunately, I did not get her badge name, but that's just another thing that would've never happened if the photoshoot locations were labelled on the map.)

Also, the guidebook app was an excellent way to stay up to date with the changes, and I hope you continue to use it. However, the fact that there seemed to be no schedule on the website that appeared to be finalised even as the day of the convention arrived -- only what appeared to be a preliminary, half-finished schedule -- caused quite a bit of a problem for several people (my girlfriend included) who were trying to schedule roadshow hours so that they could attend the panels they wanted to attend. Next year, please try to get a somewhat final schedule up on the website at least a week in advance. I can understand last-minute changes due to circumstances beyond your control, such as the fire alarm pushing everything back an hour and knocking the masquerade entirely off the schedule (in my opinion, that wasn't a good move, but that's been said plenty of times already), but please at least put up what you're fairly confident the schedule for the weekend will be in a timely enough manner that people can schedule things like roadshow hours around the panels and autograph sessions they would like to attend. Also, please remember that not everyone has a smartphone, so additional changes need to be communicated better, especially in areas that were outside of the Hyatt's free Wi-Fi signal. (And no, "get a smartphone" is not a viable answer. Not all of us can afford an expensive data plan or have parents who will pay for an expensive data plan for us. I had heard about some of the IRT members giving that as an answer, and it's simply not a legitimate answer to anybody's questions or problems.)

This post has been edited by Shintarou Inuzuka: 01 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

The Official Cosplay of BARON SHINTAROU INUZUKA OF SEALAND! (STILL PATENT PENDING)
2014: Yosuke Hanamura (Persona 4), Japan (New CD version) (Hetalia), Bossun (Sket Dance), EGL, Haruka Nanase (Free!)

Member of the Bishie Brigade! [Insert slogan here.] Also the game.
WARNING: This user has the Inuyasha Falling Down Problem. Feel free not to yell a certain dog command at him if you see him.
WARNING: Twitch may be controlling this attendee's movement.

#168 User is offline   NarumiKenshin 

• Exhibit Space
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9201

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 30 April 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

But in a situation like that, don't you think staff should have some common sense and just let her though? I mean, even if she didn't have a damn badge what the hell would they have done? not let her leave?
I'm sorry but this bothers me very much.

Sure, but if the situations was not made known that this lady was having a problem, then how could they know the issue? If there is ever a medical issue, IRT/EMRT would let them
wherever needed immediately to relive pain/ seek medical attention. The term "carry" the other person uses may not be in the literal sense, but rather hold up, wrapped arm around,
made stable, so on so forth. On the other hand if she was literally being carried out, or physically collapsed on the floor there, and it was known/made known, I apologize IRT didn't
do anything about it or wasn't more compassionate. But again, hard to tell given the circumstances.
Exhibit Space ADH - Exhibit Hall - 2012
Merchandising ADH - 2010, 2011
Sales Department Head - 2009
Convention Operations - 2008
Video Gaming Staff - 2007
Man's Greatest Fear is Mankind Itself
-Gendo Ikari-

#169 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

dear staff / Maps people
still waiting on some input
would be super duper nice.

Dear Lin, many of us have either just gotten home or are still on site. I will post my responses to some things I have read tomorrow after I have rested as I imagine others will once they are home and rested as well.

Zac
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#170 User is offline   solanis 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 60129

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 30 April 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Oh, that's not good. I thought that the party got cancelled or something. :angry:

We weren't told about when/where to pick up our tickets until an email arrived Friday night. Amazingly irresponsible... but the actual event was INCREDIBLE. It was such an honor and a joy to attend and everyone had the best time. Acen really dropped the ball on the indie lolita fashion panel, but all the other lolita-related events went off without a hitch for the most part. That's why we lolitas are extremely pleased with the convention this year, unlike... pretty much everyone else, it seems. Rightfully so, too. :/

#171 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostNarumiKenshin, on 01 May 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Sure, but if the situations was not made known that this lady was having a problem, then how could they know the issue? If there is ever a medical issue, IRT/EMRT would let them
wherever needed immediately to relive pain/ seek medical attention. The term "carry" the other person uses may not be in the literal sense, but rather hold up, wrapped arm around,
made stable, so on so forth. On the other hand if she was literally being carried out, or physically collapsed on the floor there, and it was known/made known, I apologize IRT didn't
do anything about it or wasn't more compassionate. But again, hard to tell given the circumstances.

Just my two cents, as he said, you also need to try seeing it from the other side. Some people really do fake ailments so they can get away with things, *NOT* saying that you were but if they had to believe everyone that said that, you're going to get some rather unscrupulous types that will take advantage of the system.

Minor complaint, also, but would it be too much to ask for food that's actually affordable and not a mile away? At an event like that, it is important for people to keep hydrated and nourished. They can't do that if they can't afford to eat. Food in Disney World is cheaper.

ACen has absolutely no control over that. Expoteria and the other vendors are set up with the Convention Center, not with ACen and they will not allow outside food to be sold otherwise. Same goes for the Hyatt (also it's a health code issue).

Then the emergency evacuation on Saturday. Yes, the evac itself was handled very well. Once outside, though, it was a madhouse. No one knew what was going on, we kept being moved from one place to another and back again... Con staff REALLY needs better communication and coordination.

Being on the front line and from what I saw, it was a mob mentality that made the crowd go back and forth. I saw some kids running to try to sneak back in, everyone was saying "oh, I guess we can go back in" and moved in, prompting IRT to push everyone back. If that was the case, I can't see how you can blame the con staff for what some attendees think is funny.

#172 User is offline   Perfumer Ko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59547

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

View Postjune.h, on 01 May 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

Just my two cents, as he said, you also need to try seeing it from the other side. Some people really do fake ailments so they can get away with things, *NOT* saying that you were but if they had to believe everyone that said that, you're going to get some rather unscrupulous types that will take advantage of the system.

From a legal standpoint... wouldn't it be dangerously irresponsible for someone working on IRT or EMRT to say "Oh I think she's just faking to get out of showing us a badge"?

#173 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostCatmato, on 30 April 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

I dressed as a character from Katawa Shoujo, and was looking for a cosplay meetup for it. Since it's still fairly new (and arguably unrelated) there was no meetup for KS specifically, but after a search of the forums, I discovered it was being lumped in the the H-Anime/Games shoot. I don't really understand why it was combined with that shoot.

Because KS is an eroge/h-game.

#174 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 01 May 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

Dear Lin, many of us have either just gotten home or are still on site. I will post my responses to some things I have read tomorrow after I have rested as I imagine others will once they are home and rested as well.

Zac

okie dokie Alk, get some rest. I forget most of you don't live in the area @___@

And a gripe I forgot to mention to some of the American girls helping at the Angelic Pretty booth ( not really an acen gripe but putting it anywhere near the loli threads may get me killed)
I'm not sure why you thought it was cute to pretend like you didn't speak english but it was kinda insulting and you probably embarrassed yourself in front of your mentor/idol/things.
2015 Cosplay

#175 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

View Postlinlindesu, on 01 May 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

And a gripe I forgot to mention to some of the American girls helping at the Angelic Pretty booth ( not really an acen gripe but putting it anywhere near the loli threads may get me killed)
I'm not sure why you thought it was cute to pretend like you didn't speak english but it was kinda insulting and you probably embarrassed yourself in front of your mentor/idol/things.

Everyone at the booth worked for Angelic Pretty, and not all of them spoke english.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#176 User is offline   SaphiraRaworth 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7593

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostPerfumer Ko, on 29 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

A million times this. ^ I was really surprised when this happened. :S Why do we need badges to leave? Even if someone got in without a badge in the first place, what was IRT going to do? Take the badge away that they didn't have...? Plus... yeah... congestion... Those doors were stupidly crowded at all times.

View PostSoy Sauce, on 29 April 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Can someone tell me the logic of badge checks when leaving the dealer's room? They were doing that by the restaurant exit.

What if you had dropped it or someone had stolen it? I had at least 6 people who didn't have one and either found it at the Customer Service desk or got a replacement.

View PostFirak, on 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Was I one or the few people that asked them why they were checking it? Supposedly they were looking for someone, like several people have suggested in response to this question. Not sure who or why, but that's what the IRT person said when I asked.

View PostFirak, on 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

It's possible they were looking at the badge name and not the actual person's name, which is quite a bit larger than the person's name. That's just speculation though, all I was told was they were looking for someone.

This is true, but times about 4 @_@

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 30 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I know for a fact that they were looking for certain people because of a possible theft issue I had. Not based on badges though, but if someone else had reported a theft they may have been checking badges for that member.Also, I had a lost minor come up to my booth and I told her to go to guest services since I couldn't leave and escort her myself. They may have been checking badges to find her parents, or find her.There could have been a number of reasons to check badges going in and out, and it may be an inconvenience for you, but for someone else who is lost or separated or stealing it is a valid reason to check all the badges going in and out.

I love you. And did we find this person? Without a description, I have no idea. I am mad we never recovered the sword.

View Postmadhattr999, on 30 April 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

The real reason might be to prevent badge sharing. Some groups might buy 2 badges for 5 people. A and B go in. A gives badge to B. B leaves with 2 badges. B gives A's badge to C. B and C go in. Repeat. Checking badges on the way out can catch this scheme.

^ This. People try this too much. It's sad when they use a Kit's Kids badge -.-

View PostKhaoticfolks, on 30 April 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

As far as the badge checking, I was also told by a staffer (one I was surprised was a little more in the loop than others) they had counterfeiting issues.

^^^ All of these. I was probably the only one who did this. We had an incident on Friday night and another I believe that Saturday morning to which we found out people were faking badges. There were also a few persons on interest that we were on the lookout for that had revoked badges and/or banned from ACen.

View PostKrystal, on 30 April 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

I was staring to faint because I was wearing a six pound wig, and my boyfriend was carrying me out of the dealers room to get some water and lie down. Our badges were tucked away at the bottom of our bag because people kept asking us to remove them for pictures. We were not allowed to leave the exhibit hall until he got the badges, while in the meantime I basically crupled to the floor in the wing of the Expoteria. I'm glad to know that IRT members are so compassionate.

This. I am highly unaware of this. I believe myself to be the only one who was checking badges out of the Con Center by the Expoteria on Saturday. I saw no one collapse or fall to the floor to indicate ill health. If you would have said you were feeling unwell, EMRT would have been called for immediately and you would have been taken to their center in our Fishbowl. So I apologize if this was I, but I don't remember this at all. But I will state that it is in the rules that badges must be out and visible at all times, no matter if it clashes with your cosplay or not. But as I said, I apologize if this was me and it would have been handled much differently if the situation was made clearer. But, if I remember correctly, the only person with a large wig I remember was a Jesse and James due that had Press badges. I remember her coming back and apologizing for the attitude when leaving. I also apologized that she didn't feel well and apologized for holding them up. If this was you, I am sorry dear :(

View PostATICE, on 30 April 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Probably an excuse for them to work, because there was one on each side... and the one that was pretty much always sitting down on the chair looked like they had nothing to do. lol.

-Points to comment about this above-

View Postlinlindesu, on 30 April 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

But in a situation like that, don't you think staff should have some common sense and just let her though? I mean, even if she didn't have a damn badge what the hell would they have done? not let her leave? I'm sorry but this bothers me very much.

-Points to other comment about this above-

This post has been edited by SaphiraRaworth: 01 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Callsign: Raworth

Past ACen Cosplays: Friends & Groups
Lan Group ACen '06 Group ACen '07 ACen '09 ACen '10 ACen '11
Contact Me?
facebook deviantart windows live yahoo twitter

#177 User is offline   Kristov 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61900

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

Overall the Con went rather well I thought, with a few hiccups.

1) Prop/costume rules not followed. Not trying to be a jerk here, but rules stated a prop gun can't be black, EVEN with an orange tip. I spent time and money making my prop blue instead of keeping it the original black. Once I got there, it seemed nearly every single prop gun was black. Straight out of he box, with magazine in it, airsoft gun. Please don't post rules about props unless they are to be enforced.
*Gun props must have a blaze orange tip, and are required to be sufficiently unrealistic that a person must be able to tell that the prop is not real from across a room.(Transparent, flat image on cardboard, futuristic/unrealistic, blue rubber training props etc.)

After double checking this, I suppose black is allowed, but still seems a bit hard to tell across from the room, especially in a holster covering the tip...

2) I had been warned of potential con stink. Truth be told, I wore my gasmask for my costume most of Saturday, not to complete my cosplay, but because many places around reeked. Not much can be done I guess, but DAMN. Next year I'm bringing spray deodorant and if I find the offending person, hose them down with the stuff...

3) The hotel staff. Good lord. Extra blanket asked for Saturday morning, with a reminder call every hour or so starting at 9 AM to 1PM. No blanket, no response. In addition, when we were loading up to leave, we were told no trolleys were available because it was a liability... however, we saw someone slip the belboy a $20 he let them take one. Kind of shady. ANother forced me out of the baggage pickup loop and back to the street and try again...

4) Rosemont PD. Now overall they were great at directing traffic. However one "officer" was not directing traffic, and when I went proceeded to tear me a new one. Keep in mind, nobody was crossing, and he was standing middle of the road not doing anything. He was simply taking up space. In hindsight, should have asked for his badge number.

However things beyond that ran pretty well I think. Dealers room was well laid out, events and panels clearly marked, and in general a good layout. I think perhaps in the future more late night eating options may be good to add, perhaps inform local places of an enormous convention coming that probably will be up until 3-6?

This post has been edited by Kristov: 01 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

#178 User is offline   Sarahlicious 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61869

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

I actually have a suggestion this time. For those who attend the masquerade ball and want to bring their tripods to set up- is there a way to give them their own section. Its very frustrating to be in the first couple of rows and still not be able to see the stage because of the camera equipment that has been set up by your neighbor. :/
2012 C2E2/ACen/Wizard World Claire Redfield: RE Darkside Chronicles
2013 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lara Croft [Tomb Raider 2013]
2014 C2E2/ACen/AM/Wizard World Lance Corporal Levi: Attack On Titan

#179 User is offline   steamkitten 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61742

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Overall, I had a blast at Acen, but I have a few gripes/suggestions.
-Now I have a smart phone and used the App and found it very helpful, but please try to keep it updated. For example-on Friday, when all the main programming was pushed back, it would have been nice to know via my phone rather than find out at the main ballroom that everything was running severely behind. Also, when panels such as Anime Bingo are cancelled, it would be nice to know ahead of time.
-Props: I know someone earlier mentioned this, but I really worked hard to find a toy gun that didn't fire and wasn't black in order to comply with prop rules and to my extreme annoyance, almost anyone with a gun prop had it black and looking more realistic.
-Lines: Here's where i have a possible suggestion. For some of the longer lines that curve around/double back or go in front of other panel rooms, have the last person in the line hold a piece of paper that says "End of XYZ panel line" in big letters. When someone else gets in line, they pass that paper to the new last person in line. It will also hopefully save people from having to answer the "What is this line for?" question constantly.

Now for things that Acen has no control over:
-The Pearler Bead Panel-the panelists never showed up. It made for a disappointing start to my Saturday
-The person who got upset when I wouldn't stop and pose for a picture: Having cosplayers pose for pictures is a privilege not a right. For your information, whoever you are, I was in a hurry because i was trying to make it to a panel on time and didn't have time to pose.

#180 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostShintarou Inuzuka, on 01 May 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

First of all, please put the locations of the photoshoots on the maps!

THIS. This was my 6th year at Acen (but only my 3rd or 4th attending shoots), but I still have trouble figuring out where any photoshoots are besides ones in the dome and loading docks. One of the shoots I wanted to go to I only found because I noticed a few other people wearing cosplay from the series and followed them, hoping they were going to the shoot. I really expeted there to be a map for shoot location in the guidebook app with all the other maps. One next year would be extremely helpful.
ACen 2015 Plans
Friday - Maki (1, 2, Jump!) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100%
Saturday - Kisumi Shigino (Casual from end card) [Free! Eternal Summer] 100%
Saturday - Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 35%
Sunday - Neko [K Project] 95% (need green contact xD)

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users