Anime Central Forums: Georgia to require drug test for welfare benefits? - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Georgia to require drug test for welfare benefits? Ewwwww politics!!!!!! I know I know,

#151 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 19 June 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

"The claim behind these critiques is clear: federal spending on entitlements and other mandatory programs through which individuals receive benefits is promoting laziness, creating a dependent class of Americans who are losing the desire to work and would rather collect government benefits than find a job. Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits."

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3677


Whoa. I believe that, considering that my mom is disabled.

Similar topic but slightly off, but it seems to be that you need triple the amount of rent in house (800 dollar a month apartment with heat and gas included you need at least 3000 dollars in income,) and you need proof of good income/good credit/no evictions, even if it's government aid.

Maybe this might be a reason why people might turn to aid.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#152 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 19 June 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

"The claim behind these critiques is clear: federal spending on entitlements and other mandatory programs through which individuals receive benefits is promoting laziness, creating a dependent class of Americans who are losing the desire to work and would rather collect government benefits than find a job. Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits."

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3677

Somehow I doubt that I live in a entire area that's only the 9 percent of americans on aid. We wouldn't have millions of more americans on food stamps if that number was even remotlely close to accurate. I could see that number being correct if they only looked at say social sercurity checks. But theres are tons of different aid programs and let me tell ya, it's not the disabled and old I see using them.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#153 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429
  • Posts: 539
  • Joined: 02-February 11
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 19 June 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Somehow I doubt that I live in a entire area that's only the 9 percent of americans on aid. We wouldn't have millions of more americans on food stamps if that number was even remotlely close to accurate. I could see that number being correct if they only looked at say social sercurity checks. But theres are tons of different aid programs and let me tell ya, it's not the disabled and old I see using them.


Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#154 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 19 June 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

"The claim behind these critiques is clear: federal spending on entitlements and other mandatory programs through which individuals receive benefits is promoting laziness, creating a dependent class of Americans who are losing the desire to work and would rather collect government benefits than find a job. Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits."

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3677


Interesting. Every individual I have encountered that has participated at a occupy protest has given me completely different answers regarding what it is they desire to achieve. There is no unity... Just what a couple media writers sugar coated, feel good opinions that were published.

The 99% huh? I would bet that over 50% of the entire population has no idea what the OSW movement is. In fact, a lot of people at work only know about it because roads they take were either shut down or consumed by traffic delaying their day and costing the economy lots of money. Oh! And about the arrests, bomb threats, property damage and that "crazy" people have been camping out in tents in public parks for weeks. I think most people... just don't care what they do as long as they don't bother them. lol.

#155 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 19 June 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Whoa. I believe that, considering that my mom is disabled.

Similar topic but slightly off, but it seems to be that you need triple the amount of rent in house (800 dollar a month apartment with heat and gas included you need at least 3000 dollars in income,) and you need proof of good income/good credit/no evictions, even if it's government aid.

Maybe this might be a reason why people might turn to aid.


Seriously? This has got to be a state thing, cuz with our state in the black my friend is living in a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house and only paying 650 a month. (without utilities of course) But still that's why cheaper.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#156 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 12-May 09
  • Location:Valparaiso, IN

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 20 June 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Seriously? This has got to be a state thing, cuz with our state in the black my friend is living in a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house and only paying 650 a month. (without utilities of course) But still that's why cheaper.

Cost of living is higher over here by Chicago. Even on the Indiana side. Unless you are lucky or in Section 8 housing, you wont get 3 bedroom anything for $650. At least here in Valpo in a decent area of town. (Correct me if I am wrong obviously.)
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#157 User is offline   minecraftsmurf 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned
  • Member No.: 59962
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-April 11

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 20 June 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Seriously? This has got to be a state thing, cuz with our state in the black my friend is living in a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house and only paying 650 a month. (without utilities of course) But still that's why cheaper.


I agree, so many individuals find themselves upside down... owing more on their house than it is worth due to the market. In many cases the best option is to abandon the home with that $,300 mortgage and rent probably a better house for half the price.

#158 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostUnlucky Slayer, on 20 June 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Cost of living is higher over here by Chicago. Even on the Indiana side. Unless you are lucky or in Section 8 housing, you wont get 3 bedroom anything for $650. At least here in Valpo in a decent area of town. (Correct me if I am wrong obviously.)

I wouldn't know about Valpo housing. It's too far away. (like over 2 hours). I'll see if online says anything though but that always misses alot of housing areas.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users