Anime Central Forums: Do I need to bring a dozen TVs and surge protectors? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Do I need to bring a dozen TVs and surge protectors? Last resort/hope posting this....

#1 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Like my title says, I really need to know no later than early tonight if I need to supply all the TVs, tables/supports, and power drops/expanded outlets (and/or mics for my copaelists) for our Fancy Footwork DDR panel on Sunday, or if we were supposed to be getting some sort/amount of assistance with this panel like brought up at inception. I also had wanted to know how full the room is expected to be and if all the outlets are one circuit so we don't accidently trip the breaker and blow a floor of the Hyatt's power, but at this point the former question is more important, and elsewise, whatever will be will be. I've done several messages both of the email and phone variety over the last month and have still not heard back, have posted in other threads about this, have checked my email and voicemail daily and waited patiently for my turn to get a message/reply to any one of my contacts made, but now there are only 1.5 days left and I NEED to know right away. Any certain answer would be appreciated.

From the initial postings in my DDR thread I was under the impression we would be getting some level of assistance, at least with some accommodations & being able have everything viewed and powered up (and possibly having another PS2 to use). Having not heard back, I have gathered so far roughly 6~8 working PS2, have several more to test, and possibly a couple people I can call in favors with to borrow theirs for the day; I also have several dance pads, and where I lack pads I have handheld controllers. Fortunately enough the PS2s came with the red/yellow/white plugs and power cables, and I have at least one spare plug in event of Murphy's Law. I do not, however, have a dozen projectors, cables and RGB -> VGA converters to run them. For that matter, nor do I have a dozen tables, milk crates, or whatever to prop up a potential/hypothetical dozen-odd televisions which I may or may not be able to procure in one day's time (I mean, I could *try* to, but guarantees...not good odds), or even necessarily enough outlets in the room to power all of these electronics. Bit of a mild dillemma, that. :/

So, what I need to know, today, in simplest terms:
  • How many projectors are allotted per room (and if we need more, can we get them)?
  • Do I need to supply all the TVs/means of seeing, and tables/some sort of supports for them, aside from the 1 projector/microphone/table at front guaranteed?
  • If I do not need to supply all our own viewing/screen mechanisms, will we have multiple projectors or at least some sort of assistance ( * )?
    - If the above is also true, will that mean I should anticipate a dozen projectors and go buy tons of VGA adapters for the PS2s? Or will the Red/White/Yellow plugs suffice (our old home projector has the RWY holes, so IDK if others do too)?
  • How many electrical outlets are in Narita A-B?
  • Are the rooms all on one circuit (*think this is the right word; I'm sleep-deprived & exhausted, sorry if it's error), meaning tons of power supplies/surge protector extenders would overload it & trip the fuse/blow the room or floor's power, or are there multiple circuits in there, thus letting us split the power for our devices safely?
  • Is the PS2 + dance pad offer still valid? ( * )
  • Just how many systems / setups can these rooms safely hold (doubt the fire marshal gave a #, so maybe a low guesstimate)? The hotel's occupancy info doesn't account for pseudo arcades, so I can't be certain of a rough estimate outside maybe a banquet setup (though that's kinda like apples vs oranges). I don't want to have too much and piss off the fire marshal, but I also don't want so few spots that we're a sad pathetic sight and unable to accommodate our attendees...
  • Is Panel still possibly providing prizes ( * ), or will I have to run out & get prizes today? (.......in a pinch, i have glowsticks?)

Without any information/answers about these critical things, we would essentially be forced to cancel our runs. By no means would we *want* to do that (DDR is awesome), but we can't blindly spend a couple/several hundred dollars just hoping the items bought are actually needed, and we've waited a long time hoping to find out just that. I realize staff is busy, but even a short simple answer to each of the above would suffice and be appreciated. Thank you, & apologies in advanced for my crappy morning typing skills.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#2 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

We have 3 Projectors down for you and if we have extra we will provide a 4th. We do not have the any way to supply TVs or power strips, you would need to bring those. Every room has a power drop, so you should be able to split off that using your power strips. We do not have the PS2 to VGA converters, you would need to provide those. The room should be wired for sound through the mixers into a standard headphone jack.

We can get tables and chairs for the room if you need them to prop up TVs. So as long as you have the Proper connectors for the ps2 to hook up to Projectors.

This post has been edited by Zerox20: 25 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

#3 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostZerox20, on 25 April 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

We have 3 Projectors down for you and if we have extra we will provide a 4th. We do not have the any way to supply TVs or power strips, you would need to bring those. Every room has a power drop, so you should be able to split off that using your power strips. We do not have the PS2 to VGA converters, you would need to provide those. The room should be wired for sound through the mixers into a standard headphone jack.

We can get tables and chairs for the room if you need them to prop up TVs. So as long as you have the Proper connectors for the ps2 to hook up to Projectors.

Thanks for the quick reply.

- 3, maybe 4 projectors, got it. I'll tally our number of systems and see how many TV we can round up for the difference.
- I'd imagine one surge protector strip should handle 2 systems/TVs easily (my PC's setup that way), but I'll bring extra in case, and backups if they're needed in a pinch.
- The tables would be greatly appreciated! A few chairs would probably be good too, for like parents watching their kids or people who can't stand for a long time, but no big problem if not possible.
- I'll take a look around for audio/plug stuff in case it's needed, and worst case just bring some headphone-plug PC speakers in case we have trouble, or need more sounds.

Looking at the projector here, it has the video/audio in ports (the yellow/red/white plugs like on video game consoles and VCRs), and from what my dad said about his videography/studio stuff, it's standard on most brands (old, off-label, and tiny ones are sometimes weird, though, I know). I've never worked with the hotel's projectors before so I wouldn't know what's on them or even the brand, but, maybe, have any of you guys ever seen Video / Audio holes on the projectors? VGA only handles video, so if I can plug right in without needing a couple kinds of adapters then that's all taken care of already.

Thanks again for the quick answers - we appreciate that.
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#4 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

The projectors will always have VGA on them and also have an Audio jack as well. But you wouldn't be plugging into the audio jack of the projector, the video would be plugged in, then they would be hooking up to something like the mixers in the room, much like how you would plug in a headphones into a laptop for outputting sound. I would recommend you come see us in our Panel Programming operations room in Room Gatwick downstairs when you get to the convention so we can go over everything.

#5 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostZerox20, on 25 April 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

The projectors will always have VGA on them and also have an Audio jack as well. But you wouldn't be plugging into the audio jack of the projector, the video would be plugged in, then they would be hooking up to something like the mixers in the room, much like how you would plug in a headphones into a laptop for outputting sound. I would recommend you come see us in our Panel Programming operations room in Room Gatwick downstairs when you get to the convention so we can go over everything.

Will you be there tomorrow on Thursday? We're coming in the evening tomorrow, as soon as 5pm's rush hour allows us to get from UChi to the con center. I'd imagine we'd be getting out there around 7:00-7:30 or so?

#6 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yes, Room Gatwick for Panel Programming we are open thursday @ 4 PM.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users