Anime Central Forums: ACen 5K Race - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ACen 5K Race Any Interest?

Poll: ACen 5K Race (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you run a 5K at ACen?

1. Yes (27 votes [67.50%])

Percentage of vote: 67.50%

2. No (13 votes [32.50%])

Percentage of vote: 32.50%

Vote

#31 User is offline   madden72 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9813

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostBloo09, on 30 April 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

We will look at this idea for next ACen, after the convention when we hold our meeting to plan new programming. I can address a few things right now though. I apologize it's not in order with when you wrote it, I'm scrolling up and down trying to address everything.

A room in the con center is expensive, not something an entry fee would come even close to covering.
We'll need to contact the city to see if they do have a preferred course for relay runs. They may have had events like this in the past. I know the city I live in has 2 routes that they allow relays to use.
Realistically you won't get even close to 1000 people participating in this. At most it might hit 500 but that would be a Good turn out.
If this is not entirely run by ACen it would be run like a panel/live event, with a Host attendee group running it and ACen staff overseeing the more official parts of it.
Sponsors aren't as easy as you'd think to get, it would be extremely challenging to find one who would donate 500 t-shirts even with their name on it (printed t-shirts range from 4-8 dollars depending on how itchy you want it to be). Realistically we could possibly try for a special lanyard saying they participated in it.
If a different organizer chose to run a race during ACen's time in Rosemont that is fine but they couldn't use ACen's name or logo unfortunately. Only those working with the convention would be able to.

We do like this idea, it just wasn't possible for 2013. Space and costs need to be considered and discussed by our management team after this year's convention.

Thanks for the feedback, Bloo! IMO, the event should be about running, not swag/food/drink. It should also have as few barriers to entry as possible, in hopes of allowing even those who only hear about it the night before to participate. While it will be a challenge to organize, I look forward to hearing what comes of future discussions with convention staff!

#32 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostLhadyChloe, on 24 April 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Theres a Forest Preserve a in Irving Park and River Road. Looks like a great place to run, have outdoor activities.

Personally, I'd like to absorb the glory (or mockery) of the convention at the finish line (just in front of the Hyatt main entrance). :D/> But yea, if something like this were to be arranged, there'd have to be a separate fee to handle the logistics of running (no pun intended) this kind of event.

This post has been edited by Kyuu: 30 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#33 User is offline   Siren_N0el 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22787

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Perhaps a 5K NOT during ACen, could be considered as well? There is already SO much stuff going on that weekend as is. And traffic is high as always.
Just a thought...
poopies.

#34 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostSiren_N0el, on 30 April 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Perhaps a 5K NOT during ACen, could be considered as well? There is already SO much stuff going on that weekend as is. And traffic is high as always.
Just a thought...

Some people travel for ACen, believe it or not. Why deny them the chance to participate? Sure, there are a multitude of running events everywhere across the country. To have one during the convention, that'd make it unique. If traffic were to be a concern, then it'd be placed at a location where it wouldn't be much of an issue.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#35 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostKyuu, on 02 May 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Some people travel for ACen, believe it or not. Why deny them the chance to participate? Sure, there are a multitude of running events everywhere across the country. To have one during the convention, that'd make it unique. If traffic were to be a concern, then it'd be placed at a location where it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Agreed

#36 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hey everyone, I just wanna point out that I work at a running store and race event group here in Chicago, Universal Sole, that does alot of grassroots race events around the city.
If there is anything that I can do to help this along, I'm here for you. I'd love this to happen, and if I can get USOLE to help out, all the better -- we love these type of things.
If anyone wants to get ahold of me, feel free both here and through email at msigler09@gmail.com and check out universalsole.com to see what the company is about (this past ACen weekend, USOLE helped out run the Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon and 10k, so its not like we'd be incapable of helping do an Anime Central 5k Classic or something :D
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#37 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

This sounds like it would be a blast! But if it's a really hot day then I probably wouldn't be able to wear my fursuit in the run ;)

#38 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Such races are usually done earlier in the day and at that time of year, Chicago is rarely hot..let alone warm, in the morning hours.

But no ACen run for now.

Now if someone wanted to come up with a unique panel, call it an outdoor one, and do a cosplay jog in and around the hotel area..that would be pretty neat.

Do a Saturday morning job, say from the back hyatt parking lot..down brwn mawr, down north river to foster ave, up to the fashion outlets and right on fashion outlets way, take the loop around FB Financial Park back onto Brwn Mawr and back to the Hyatt Parking lot. A nice, sub-3 miler that could be easily done.

A brisk jog/run/crawl/slog and you get to see a number of the partner hotels, some of the restaurants, the shopping at the outlets, the entertainment at MBFP, the Muvico and you get to show off some cosplay (sturdy cosplay). Do like Hajime No Ippo and get some roadwork done.

Myself, I'll be jogging daily.

This post has been edited by rondo: 28 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users