A typical 5K (3.1 mile) race will have:
- a measured course viewable before the race
- water/Gatorade at 1-2 stations along the course
- electronic timing via disposable wireless technology
- food/beverages at the finish line
- t-shirts for participants
- awards for the top finishers overall and in their age groups
- and an awesome after party (got that one covered)
What would make a 5K at ACen unique:
- The sheer number of potential entrants
- The resources already on hand to help make the event awesome
- The amount of cosplayers that would run the race
- The location (the Des Plaines River and Trail are literally 0.2 miles from the Hyatt parking lot... with some barriers. Alternatively, there are plenty of side streets nearby that barely anyone uses)
- The amount of sponsors related to ACen that could benefit from advertising
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but I know firsthand that if people really wanted to run a race, all it takes in the end is a place to run and a handful of volunteers. Maybe this won't happen this year, but why not?
Here are the questions I have for all of you:
- When would a good time for this be?
- Would you cosplay and/or make a cosplay for this?
- Would you be interested in helping to run this event?
- What other ideas do you have for this event?
And for the ACen staff:
- Has this been attempted before?
- What issues do you see with conducting this event?
- Do you see any way to overcome any of the challenges above?
- Who would be the appropriate contact for trying to get this event off the ground?
Thanks for reading, everyone! I look forward to your feedback!
(AKA The Leader of the CD Warriors/Samurai)
This post has been edited by madden72: 25 April 2012 - 06:22 AM