• This topic is locked

How to have a great ACen

#1 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

A little reminder to everyone as we approach what is about a week until the convention, some tips and advice on how to have the best convention possible.

First and foremost, you are responsible for your own fun. ACen is a con and a large con. Mistakes will happens, things will get confused. You can either let it ruin your weekend or you can make the best of it. That panel you really wanted to go to may get canceled, but that just means you now have the chance to go to something you wouldn't have otherwise. The cosplay may run late. Now you have the chance to talk to the people waiting in line with you and make a new friend. Basically, make the best of any bad situation.

Second, go out and meet people. While I'm sure the people you came with are pretty cool people, they're likely the same people you always hang out with. Go, make new friends, talk to new people. Start conversations, have fun. And if you're one of those shy people who has trouble with that, attend the forum meet and greet Thursday evening http://www.acen.org/...d-greet-thread/ Everyone is friendly and I get you all to talk at least a little bit that you already have a jumping off point for a conversation with anyone there. You're only as shy as you let yourself be and the more you talk with people, the better you get at it. And if you're that worried about it, you can always talk to me as I'm always willing to talk to new people and make friends.

Third, take care of yourself. Shower and smell nice. #2 is not going to work when you haven't showered in 3 days and smell like crap. Also, make sure you eat and eat something healthy at least once a day. Bring fruit, bring vitamins. You'll be glad you did after the con is over.

Fourth, don't be that guy. If you're not sure who that guy is, let me explain. Have you ever been to an awesome party where the day after everyone says, "That party was great, but what was up with that guy?" That guy never needs to be named. Everyone knows who that guy was. So don't do it. Trolling and ruining people's good times isn't funny. Yelling you just lost the game at the top of your lungs isn't funny. And if you've had a few too many, running around the con, making a fool of yourself, and annoying everyone is the worst thing you can do. Take one for the team, go back to your room, and crash.

Last and for some of you, the most important, don't set expectations for the weekend. So often I see guys especially go into a con with the expectation of getting laid or finding a girlfriend or something else along those lines. Don't do it. If it happens, awesome, but the minute you put that expectation of it happening, you try too hard, come off as a creeper and get disappointed when you can't close. Instead of having a fantastic time partying with everyone, you get disappointed and depressed you didn't close. And now your weekend is worse for no good reason.

In short, next weekend can either be one of the best or worst weekends of your life depending on what you make of it. Are you going to let something stupid ruin your fun and think about how you're going to whine about it on your blog on Monday? Or are you going to say screw it, make the best of a bad situation and have an amazing time anyway?

OH and PS, never whine about a con on your blog. ACen doesn't read your blog. They never will. If you're unhappy with something, tell someone who can make a difference. Post here, email a department, do something productive. Your blog can't fix the problem. Con staff can.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#2 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

There's a similar thread at Advice for Convention Happiness, though you might already know that...

I went to the Thursday evening IHOP gathering last year, and it was great. This time, I've already decided to attend the meet-and-greet starting in the Hyatt lobby.

This post has been edited by dorkatlarge: 21 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

#3 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Did not know. Still, its mostly regulars who are likely to listen to and respect my advice, so this is probably still just the best place for it. I mean I hardly post outside chit chat.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#4 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

well said my friend

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#5 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on 21 April 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

First and foremost, you are responsible for your own fun.

Your whole post was spot on but I really think this line needs to be repeated. I've gone to ACen with tons of different people and there's always one person who complains about not having fun and expects everyone else to make something happen or to tell them what to do. And I always tell them this exact line you said.

In my 10 years I have never had a bad ACen. Bad things have happened at ACen but I've still made the convention fun. I refuse to not have fun.
All systems... GO!

#6 User is offline   Saint Pastel 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62038

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

thanks for posting this! :)
(403): And then I told them, I was part cat, and they believed me.

#7 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well said.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#8 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

last year i also went to the meet and greet, worried at first but i got to meet people. and yes don't go to cons for some nerd girl action. flyingelf knows what he is talking about.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#9 User is offline   i_like_kyos 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59521

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 21 April 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I refuse to not have fun.

Agreed!
It won't do any good to delude myself, because even if the distance between us is less than a touch, it is my destiny that I will never have what I long for.
Mogura to Taiyo- Naono Bohra

#10 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

also to add i am bringing food and trying to not have mcdonlads at all this weekend.

for breakfest i am bringing plan yogert with gornala and bananas to put in there, for launch i bringing sandwich with lanch meat. and i am also bringing snack bars, chips, candy for parties and the meet and greet, ornges and for drinks the big cans of arazonas and coke. for dinner i will most likely eat at the hyaat resterunts for dinner, most likely just a cheesebuger with fries.

trying to really save my money on food and my health.

#11 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

also to add i am bringing food and trying to not have mcdonlads at all this weekend.

for breakfest i am bringing plan yogert with gornala and bananas to put in there, for launch i bringing sandwich with lanch meat. and i am also bringing snack bars, chips, candy for parties and the meet and greet, ornges and for drinks the big cans of arazonas and coke. for dinner i will most likely eat at the hyaat resterunts for dinner, most likely just a cheesebuger with fries.

trying to really save my money on food and my health.

Good ideas bringing food, but make sure your perishable items stay refrigerated!

---------------

You don't want to forget all the fun times you had at ACen, right? Don't get so drunk you can't remember! Be responsible and mindful of others.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#12 User is offline   Nicholas/Chaos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 27751

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

agreed. my goal this year is to make new friends, and finally get pictures together with other characters from street fighter, final fantasy and fairytail.
My Facebook - My Cosplay.com - My Youtube - My deviantART -
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Cosplayer PlayStation Network: Cosplayer55

#13 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

A little reminder to everyone as we approach what is about a week until the convention, some tips and advice on how to have the best convention possible.

First and foremost, you are responsible for your own fun. ACen is a con and a large con. Mistakes will happens, things will get confused. You can either let it ruin your weekend or you can make the best of it. That panel you really wanted to go to may get canceled, but that just means you now have the chance to go to something you wouldn't have otherwise. The cosplay may run late. Now you have the chance to talk to the people waiting in line with you and make a new friend. Basically, make the best of any bad situation.

Second, go out and meet people. While I'm sure the people you came with are pretty cool people, they're likely the same people you always hang out with. Go, make new friends, talk to new people. Start conversations, have fun. And if you're one of those shy people who has trouble with that, attend the forum meet and greet Thursday evening http://www.acen.org/...d-greet-thread/ Everyone is friendly and I get you all to talk at least a little bit that you already have a jumping off point for a conversation with anyone there. You're only as shy as you let yourself be and the more you talk with people, the better you get at it. And if you're that worried about it, you can always talk to me as I'm always willing to talk to new people and make friends.

Third, take care of yourself. Shower and smell nice. #2 is not going to work when you haven't showered in 3 days and smell like crap. Also, make sure you eat and eat something healthy at least once a day. Bring fruit, bring vitamins. You'll be glad you did after the con is over.

Fourth, don't be that guy. If you're not sure who that guy is, let me explain. Have you ever been to an awesome party where the day after everyone says, "That party was great, but what was up with that guy?" That guy never needs to be named. Everyone knows who that guy was. So don't do it. Trolling and ruining people's good times isn't funny. Yelling you just lost the game at the top of your lungs isn't funny. And if you've had a few too many, running around the con, making a fool of yourself, and annoying everyone is the worst thing you can do. Take one for the team, go back to your room, and crash.

Last and for some of you, the most important, don't set expectations for the weekend. So often I see guys especially go into a con with the expectation of getting laid or finding a girlfriend or something else along those lines. Don't do it. If it happens, awesome, but the minute you put that expectation of it happening, you try too hard, come off as a creeper and get disappointed when you can't close. Instead of having a fantastic time partying with everyone, you get disappointed and depressed you didn't close. And now your weekend is worse for no good reason.

In short, next weekend can either be one of the best or worst weekends of your life depending on what you make of it. Are you going to let something stupid ruin your fun and think about how you're going to whine about it on your blog on Monday? Or are you going to say screw it, make the best of a bad situation and have an amazing time anyway?

OH and PS, never whine about a con on your blog. ACen doesn't read your blog. They never will. If you're unhappy with something, tell someone who can make a difference. Post here, email a department, do something productive. Your blog can't fix the problem. Con staff can.

Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#14 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

That's very well done and written. Straight to the point.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#15 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#16 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hear Hear!
~~

#17 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostPrayer Police, on 23 April 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Posted Image

haha I couldn't have put it better myself!
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#18 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

also to note about not expecting sex at all. if it do come up for be which it won't i am still bringing a condom, it just good pratice anyways.

#19 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

=_=;;

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#20 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostVisadin the insane, on 25 April 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

also to note about not expecting sex at all. if it do come up for be which it won't i am still bringing a condom, it just good pratice anyways.

LOLs
I have a condom in my wallet from 2002 :ph34r:
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#21 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 25 April 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

LOLs
I have a condom in my wallet from 2002 :ph34r:

Might want to invest in a new one. They don't really last that long, especially in wallets.
All systems... GO!

#22 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Quoted for more emphasis:

Seriously. Save this kind of crap for the Internet.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users