• This topic is locked

Hyatt Internet Access Free or Fee?

#1 User is online   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I cannot for the life of me remember from last year if we even tried to get on the WiFi in our room in the Hyatt!

My question is if the WiFi is free? The webpage about their internet access(link) doesn't say either way.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#2 User is offline   goofy4u273 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6657

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

no i think its 10 per day..

me
(\_/)
(^.^) This is Bunny. Add Bunny to your signature
(> <) to help him achieve world domination.

#3 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

yah, it was 13 last year.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#4 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Prior information on their site from this year (2011-2012) was $14.99/night. If there's no current info on the site that rate might be being changes, so it would be best to call the hotel now and find out the current rates before you arrive.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#5 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

If I was reading the pages correctly, it looked like internet is complimentary for guests this year (this is what I noticed when using my laptop during a staff meeting). It may not work very well, especially with the number of people around, but it sounds like in some areas of the hotel it might be free. Meeting rooms, perhaps not.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#6 User is online   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 19 April 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Prior information on their site from this year (2011-2012) was $14.99/night. If there's no current info on the site that rate might be being changes, so it would be best to call the hotel now and find out the current rates before you arrive.

So they did post rates on the site last year? Because the only page I found and linked to above had no rate info on it.

I guess I'll just ask at check-in. I'm bringing a laptop either way!

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#7 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 20 April 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

So they did post rates on the site last year? Because the only page I found and linked to above had no rate info on it.

I guess I'll just ask at check-in. I'm bringing a laptop either way!

Internet in the Hyatt has never been free, sadly (~20,000 passing people is just too much a cash cow for any business to dream to pass up, tbh). The average rate in Rosemont is ~$14/24hr (The Embassy's been $13.99/day as far back as I recall; DoubleTree was $11.99/day as of '08-ish, and a couple are either free or $9.99 still), and the Hyatt as I recall has always been in the highish end of the range, though not the worst in the area. Last available Hyatt info was what I posted, though given the economy and NATO/G8 frenzy of this year, odds are the spring/summer rates will magically be higher everywhere.

Assuming you already have a reservation and are the one whose name the room is booked under, you can check your reservation online and choose to add services to the room (ie, like have food/fruit waiting on check-in, etc). On that page it will usually have the daily rate for internet access, amongst other things like options to add more pillows/towels, or to upgrade to an XYZ Overpriced Package That Really Doesn't Add Anything To Your Room But Looks Pretty In Pictures And Sounds Nice. Otherwise, if not directly on that page, there's sometimes an option to "upgrade" and a breakdown of what you get "free" with it - internet is often one of them ("a savings of $1x.99 per night!!").

Alternately, if you called your reservation in, just call the front desk sometime this week before crazy time descends on Rosemont -- they'll just need your name (and the card number reserved with) to tell you about your reservation info, and to tell you what internet runs/likely ask if you would like to add that to your stay. Might be better now than when 5000+ people are trying to check in all at once, right?~ ^^d
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#8 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Motel 6 is $3/day. As it used to be said - "Don't pay too much for internet."
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#9 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

You could spread the wealth and bring and pay for the internet, connect with your laptop, connect your laptop to a router you bring, tunnel the internet to the router and set it up as an access point. Top down upside down internet for all! ^_^
All systems... GO!

#10 User is online   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 21 April 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

You could spread the wealth and bring and pay for the internet, connect with your laptop, connect your laptop to a router you bring, tunnel the internet to the router and set it up as an access point. Top down upside down internet for all! ^_^

They are probably smart enough to ensure that is not possible through log on sessions and their TOUs you probably have to agree to before using the service.

Like I said I'll just ask on Thursday when we check in. I have 4G on my android, so if I absolutely need to get on a website I have that. Not a big deal.

#11 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

ALoft is free. Was another reason I decided to stay there. :)
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#12 User is offline   goofy4u273 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6657

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

just go with out for the weekend, it wont kill you

me
(\_/)
(^.^) This is Bunny. Add Bunny to your signature
(> <) to help him achieve world domination.

#13 User is offline   IndyAndy 

• Hotel & Convention Site Relations
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61401

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hi,

The Hyatt now offers free wifi. Just connect to the wifi, open a browser and sign in as a complimentary guest. :-)
Andy Agin
Acen Reg Staff 07-08
Acen Reg ADH of Technology 09
Acen Con Operations ADH 10-11
Acen HCSR Assistant Officer 12

#14 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostIndyAndy, on 23 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Hi,

The Hyatt now offers free wifi. Just connect to the wifi, open a browser and sign in as a complimentary guest. :-)

That is awesome to hear!
All systems... GO!

#15 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 21 April 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Motel 6 is $3/day. As it used to be said - "Don't pay too much for internet."

huh. never knew of one of those to charge before; The More You Know ~ '' * '' , lol.~

View PostIndyAndy, on 23 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Hi,

Awesome to hear! Everything on their site about internet makes sense now too. :)

#16 User is online   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yep just got the email that wifi is now complimentary! I'll bet it will also be slow as heck with all the traffic. ;)

#17 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yeah the wi-fi is free as I'm at the hotel rn but it's really laggy. And no one is here yet. So gl trying to use it this weekend when more attendees show up.

But I see why there's a premium connection fee for a faster connection.
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users