Anime Central Forums: Kimonos etc in Chicago area - where? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Kimonos etc in Chicago area - where?

#1 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have some folks looking for authentic (at least authentic looking, not necessarily the real thing) traditional Japanese clothing like kimonos, yukata, etc. For men, women, and children. Either to purchase or rent (for parties, plays, etc). Not quite the same as wanting something for cosplay... Yes I know some cosplay items are "real," but the cosplay sites seem to aim for, well, things from fiction, not fact.

I'd like to find sources in the general Chicago area. Sadly Mitsuwa doesn't sell clothing. We've ordered from overseas on occasion for the good stuff we want to keep, but I could use a source for a place to rent or borrow that's close by, and available more than the once a year of ACen vendors. Naturally I've misplaced the contact info from vendors I visited in years past...

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
This space intentionally left blank.

#2 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I remember there was a group last year at Acen that sold kimonos. Drat if I can't recall the name of the group. It was really nice stuff too.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#3 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Not sure if she'll be at ACen, but I know she was at Ramencon this last year. Very knowledgeable, reliable and decently priced. They'll tie your obi for you right at the booth too.

http://www.ohiokimono.com/

#4 User is offline   limegummi 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 30856

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

There's some stuff at the Toguri Merchantile off the Belmont red line. I've never purchased from there, but I've seen some clothing/accessories in the back. They might have a better idea about rent/borrow. And Ragstock on the next block used to have a lot of used kimono and a pile of obi...it's a mixed bag and much diminished the last time I went (Halloween 2011), but you might get lucky.

#5 User is offline   LordCanti 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 19521

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

try a ragstock store? i got a real nice one not long ago for about 22$ Posted Image
Lets be friends :3
Facebook :o
last.fm my music tastes ;3
Newly made deviantART :x
Working on Making Props for my Stiyl Magnus Cosplay

#6 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Wolfhome Adventuring is the group that's been in the exhibit hall for the past few years.

Ragstock is also a good suggestion (and local). There's the one that was previously mentioned near the Belmont Red Line stop and there's another in Woodfield Mall. The one in Woodfield is quite a bit smaller but still has a good selection. The size also makes it a bit easier to find what you're looking for right away.
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users