Anime Central Forums: Magic and Yugioh Pre-releases - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Magic and Yugioh Pre-releases Will the newest packs be there?

#31 User is offline   Kii 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629
  • Posts: 955
  • Joined: 07-July 09

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostSai077, on 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Still no specific time? It's a week a way for goodness sake. This is almost embarrassing.


^This is happening to almost every event in one way or another.And it is embarrassing.For everyone involved.
Still looking forward to it all, but what an inconvenience.
It's cool that you get to play with new cards before they're released to the general public, though.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#32 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 12-May 09
  • Location:Valparaiso, IN

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostEneishi, on 20 April 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Just visit the TTG area during the con.

While doing that makes sense. There should be a listing of time slots weeks in advanced. (See Cosplay Shoot schedule. It's been done since the beginning of March.) Making people wait til the day of just to see timeslots its just not a good idea and will drive people away. *points at the last few posts* As much as I'd love to do a sealed deck prerelease tourney, without a time to plan against, its just not worth worrying about.

So in summation, Posting Schedule early = Good = More people. Waiting til the day of to post a schedule and having any and all resistance to questions regarding that = Poor Form = Pissed off customers = Less people.
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#33 User is offline   Lina 

  • Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570
  • Posts: 6,860
  • Joined: 23-April 07
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostUnlucky Slayer, on 20 April 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

While doing that makes sense. There should be a listing of time slots weeks in advanced. (See Cosplay Shoot schedule. It's been done since the beginning of March.) Making people wait til the day of just to see timeslots its just not a good idea and will drive people away. *points at the last few posts* As much as I'd love to do a sealed deck prerelease tourney, without a time to plan against, its just not worth worrying about.

So in summation, Posting Schedule early = Good = More people. Waiting til the day of to post a schedule and having any and all resistance to questions regarding that = Poor Form = Pissed off customers = Less people.


Agreed. It's a huge event so they should be advertising the crap out of it so you can get as many people as you can to play. I don't get why it's so difficult to get something like this planned ahead of time.

This post has been edited by Lina: 20 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#34 User is offline   Sai077 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57152
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 14-May 10

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yea, at this point I'm going to say I'm out too. I'm planning on attending EDH Friday night, but I'll be going somewhere else for the pre-release.

#35 User is offline   August Hahn 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 60820
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-July 11

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Attention, everyone!

My apologies for this 11th Hour posting but the lines of communication have been seriously wrecked.

I completely understand people deciding to go elsewhere. That's your right and I absolutely hope you have a fantastic time wherever you choose to play.

The lateness of this announcement comes from several sources. While it's generally true that these things should be posted weeks in advance (and trust me, I wanted to!), oftentimes venues can make that very difficult. Simply put, we didn't have a firm idea where the event could even be held until very recently and all our sources for the pre-release materials were (understandably) promised elsewhere.

Your always-trying ACen staff busted their butts to make this happen at all. That said, I am happy to let you all know:

There WILL be a Pre-Release Tournament at 2:00 PM in the Embassy Ballroom on Saturday.

We have materials and space for 26 people and I hope some of you can make it even if you're planning to be elsewhere. It meant a lot to me to offer you all something, even if it came late, so here it is.


Take care, all!

-August, TTG Department Head

This post has been edited by August Hahn: 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM


#36 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 12-May 09
  • Location:Valparaiso, IN

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Attention, everyone!

My apologies for this 11th Hour posting but the lines of communication have been seriously wrecked.

I completely understand people deciding to go elsewhere. That's your right and I absolutely hope you have a fantastic time wherever you choose to play.

The lateness of this announcement comes from several sources. While it's generally true that these things should be posted weeks in advance (and trust me, I wanted to!), oftentimes venues can make that very difficult. Simply put, we didn't have a firm idea where the event could even be held until very recently and all our sources for the pre-release materials were (understandably) promised elsewhere.

Your always-trying ACen staff busted their butts to make this happen at all. That said, I am happy to let you all know:

There WILL be a Pre-Release Tournament at 2:00 PM in the Embassy Ballroom on Saturday.

We have materials and space for 26 people and I hope some of you can make it even if you're planning to be elsewhere. It meant a lot to me to offer you all something, even if it came late, so here it is.


Take care, all!

-August, TTG Department Head


Thank you greatly for this post. This is exactly what a lot of us were looking for when the questions were being asked. And you presented it in a way that I can stand behind. Thank you again.
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#37 User is offline   Angel of Death 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5455
  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 29-October 05
  • Location:Marengo, IL

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Attention, everyone!

My apologies for this 11th Hour posting but the lines of communication have been seriously wrecked.

I completely understand people deciding to go elsewhere. That's your right and I absolutely hope you have a fantastic time wherever you choose to play.

The lateness of this announcement comes from several sources. While it's generally true that these things should be posted weeks in advance (and trust me, I wanted to!), oftentimes venues can make that very difficult. Simply put, we didn't have a firm idea where the event could even be held until very recently and all our sources for the pre-release materials were (understandably) promised elsewhere.

Your always-trying ACen staff busted their butts to make this happen at all. That said, I am happy to let you all know:

There WILL be a Pre-Release Tournament at 2:00 PM in the Embassy Ballroom on Saturday.

We have materials and space for 26 people and I hope some of you can make it even if you're planning to be elsewhere. It meant a lot to me to offer you all something, even if it came late, so here it is.


Take care, all!

-August, TTG Department Head


Thank you for that very informative post.

One follow up question for me though is...You mentioned having enough materials for 26 people. Will that include a helvault or were they all spoken for?

Thanks again.
'09 Cosplays
Justin - Soul Eater (planning)
Walter - Hellsing - 100% (retiring?)
Death the Kid - Soul Eater - 100% (2 versions see my cosplay profile)
Keiichi Morisato - Ah! My Goddess - 100%

My Cosplay Profile

#38 User is offline   Steve Horton 

  • ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Guest
  • Member No.: 28080
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 18-April 09

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Attention, everyone!

My apologies for this 11th Hour posting but the lines of communication have been seriously wrecked.

I completely understand people deciding to go elsewhere. That's your right and I absolutely hope you have a fantastic time wherever you choose to play.

The lateness of this announcement comes from several sources. While it's generally true that these things should be posted weeks in advance (and trust me, I wanted to!), oftentimes venues can make that very difficult. Simply put, we didn't have a firm idea where the event could even be held until very recently and all our sources for the pre-release materials were (understandably) promised elsewhere.

Your always-trying ACen staff busted their butts to make this happen at all. That said, I am happy to let you all know:

There WILL be a Pre-Release Tournament at 2:00 PM in the Embassy Ballroom on Saturday.

We have materials and space for 26 people and I hope some of you can make it even if you're planning to be elsewhere. It meant a lot to me to offer you all something, even if it came late, so here it is.


Take care, all!

-August, TTG Department Head


Dang! 2 p.m. on Saturday is prime comic-book-selling time in Artist's Alley. I wish you had been able to run this after show hours...

Still, if I'm doing awesome and can tear myself away from the table early on Sat., I will be there!

#39 User is offline   Steve Horton 

  • ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Guest
  • Member No.: 28080
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 18-April 09

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I may be going to a local game store for a midnight prerelease instead...

Not that I won't be around a lot at ACen playing EDH and drafting! :)

This post has been edited by Steve Horton: 22 April 2012 - 04:19 PM


#40 User is offline   JoeyJoJoJr. 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61457
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 05-February 12

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I definitely will be attending

#41 User is offline   Sajomir 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61987
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-April 12

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 21 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:



There WILL be a Pre-Release Tournament at 2:00 PM in the Embassy Ballroom on Saturday.

We have materials and space for 26 people and I hope some of you can make it even if you're planning to be elsewhere. It meant a lot to me to offer you all something, even if it came late, so here it is.



Thank you very much for the final schedule on this! Now I do have to ask - Since there are only 26 slots, will there be any way we can reserve a spot, or is it completely first come first serve? I don't know how many people normally show up to the tournaments at Acen, so I'd like to make sure I get in.
If there's no sign-up I'll just come a little early.

I really do appreciate that you guys went all out to make it work. :)

#42 User is offline   August Hahn 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 60820
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-July 11

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Greetings again.

I will try to answer all of the questions posited here at once. Please understand how busy we are all; I've tried to be as timely as I can.

To the best of my understanding, we will have the Helvault cards available. My materials are coming from a very helpful vendor and he mentioned having the promo assigned to the event.

The event is first-come, first serve. We'll seat 26 and get the tourney started.

The tournament's start time was based on when I would have the event space (the ballroom in the Embassy Suites) available. I would have loved an after hours event so I could attend it myself, frankly. :) That said, the event space is nice and an earlier starting time means an open Saturday night for whatever you all might want to do... at a convention... after dark. I am sure I couldn't begin to speculate.

Thank you all and hope to see you at the show!
-August

#43 User is offline   Eneishi 

  • TTG Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 61339
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 11-January 12
  • Location:Rockford

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostSajomir, on 22 April 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Thank you very much for the final schedule on this! Now I do have to ask - Since there are only 26 slots, will there be any way we can reserve a spot, or is it completely first come first serve? I don't know how many people normally show up to the tournaments at Acen, so I'd like to make sure I get in.
If there's no sign-up I'll just come a little early.

I really do appreciate that you guys went all out to make it work. :)



I suggest coming a LOT early.

#44 User is offline   Lina 

  • Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570
  • Posts: 6,860
  • Joined: 23-April 07
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 23 April 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Greetings again.

I will try to answer all of the questions posited here at once. Please understand how busy we are all; I've tried to be as timely as I can.

To the best of my understanding, we will have the Helvault cards available. My materials are coming from a very helpful vendor and he mentioned having the promo assigned to the event.

The event is first-come, first serve. We'll seat 26 and get the tourney started.

The tournament's start time was based on when I would have the event space (the ballroom in the Embassy Suites) available. I would have loved an after hours event so I could attend it myself, frankly. :) That said, the event space is nice and an earlier starting time means an open Saturday night for whatever you all might want to do... at a convention... after dark. I am sure I couldn't begin to speculate.

Thank you all and hope to see you at the show!
-August



That really really REALLY sucks that it's first come-first serve. My boyfriend has a panel early in the morning on Saturday from 9am - 11am and if it is advised to come extremely early, then it sounds like we don't stand a chance if we only come roughly 2 1/2 hours early. That's really disappointing. It's going to be hard to battle against possibly thousands of people to get one of those slots and I honestly don't like the idea of wasting my time by waiting hours before the tournament to maybe get the chance to play. I personally won't take the chance and will go to my local game shop where I know we will 100% be able to play. Thanks for all your hard work, but it is severely disappointing to only have enough for 26 people to play out of the thousands of people who attend that possibly play Magic as well as make it first come-first serve.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#45 User is offline   Sajomir 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61987
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-April 12

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostEneishi, on 23 April 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

I suggest coming a LOT early.


Noted. I think it's disappointing that the tournament is so small considering the huge attendence of the con, but the worst thing that happens is I show up, it's filled, and I have a free afternoon at Acen. Not like I'm stuck at home with nowhere to go :P
I can still buy cards next week, have my pre-orders and launch tournaments to look forward to, so it should be win/win!

#46 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 30009
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 12-May 09
  • Location:Valparaiso, IN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

As much as I would love to do this, the limited number of slots just sucks and then I'd have to leave in the middle anyway. So I will have to pass on the pre-release. :(
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#47 User is offline   butterbps 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62076
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 23-April 12

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 23 April 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Greetings again.

I will try to answer all of the questions posited here at once. Please understand how busy we are all; I've tried to be as timely as I can.

To the best of my understanding, we will have the Helvault cards available. My materials are coming from a very helpful vendor and he mentioned having the promo assigned to the event.

The event is first-come, first serve. We'll seat 26 and get the tourney started.

The tournament's start time was based on when I would have the event space (the ballroom in the Embassy Suites) available. I would have loved an after hours event so I could attend it myself, frankly. :) That said, the event space is nice and an earlier starting time means an open Saturday night for whatever you all might want to do... at a convention... after dark. I am sure I couldn't begin to speculate.

Thank you all and hope to see you at the show!
-August


Will there be a $25 entry fee?

#48 User is offline   August Hahn 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 60820
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-July 11

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

In light of feedback and demand, not to mention not wishing to waste anyone's time with having wait in lines or rushing to try and get a spot if the event is overcrowded, I will institute a sign-up. The list will be available in the gaming area office, staffed continuously, and will accept 26 players. I can't make the event any larger but at least I can save people time and reduce the stress. I will also post here once it is filled so people can check this forum and not waste their time coming to the

Yes, there is a 25$ entry fee as always; this needs to be in cash as we have no way to take credit in the Hilton Gaming Hall. I will collect that fee at the time of sign-up. I will also make this clear on the sign up sheet.

I wish I could do more but it was a lot of effort just to get a tournament at all. I am very sorry that this is so disappointing to everyone. I take full responsibility. This was just the best I could do.


-August

#49 User is offline   Sergenthalo 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61979
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 16-April 12
  • Location:Rockford, IL

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 24 April 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

The list will be available in the gaming area office, staffed continuously, and will accept 26 players.


Where would that be? I've tried looking through the forum and on the website for a map or any information.
It's pronounced Ser-gen-tha-lo.

#50 User is offline   Lina 

  • Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570
  • Posts: 6,860
  • Joined: 23-April 07
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostAugust Hahn, on 24 April 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

In light of feedback and demand, not to mention not wishing to waste anyone's time with having wait in lines or rushing to try and get a spot if the event is overcrowded, I will institute a sign-up. The list will be available in the gaming area office, staffed continuously, and will accept 26 players. I can't make the event any larger but at least I can save people time and reduce the stress. I will also post here once it is filled so people can check this forum and not waste their time coming to the

Yes, there is a 25$ entry fee as always; this needs to be in cash as we have no way to take credit in the Hilton Gaming Hall. I will collect that fee at the time of sign-up. I will also make this clear on the sign up sheet.

I wish I could do more but it was a lot of effort just to get a tournament at all. I am very sorry that this is so disappointing to everyone. I take full responsibility. This was just the best I could do.


-August


Thank you for the change. It is very much appreciated. Since it's a sign up, we are considering doing this tournament here now. It gives people a fair chance to do this and if it's all full before the tournaments at our local game shop and we weren't able to sign up, then we are still able to do the tournament without losing out on playing.

When can you start signing up?

ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#51 User is offline   Angel of Death 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5455
  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 29-October 05
  • Location:Marengo, IL

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thank you for the update. The sign up sounds good. Just let us know when we can start to sign up.

Your efforts are appreciated. Thanks.
'09 Cosplays
Justin - Soul Eater (planning)
Walter - Hellsing - 100% (retiring?)
Death the Kid - Soul Eater - 100% (2 versions see my cosplay profile)
Keiichi Morisato - Ah! My Goddess - 100%

My Cosplay Profile

#52 User is offline   Aerix 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4664
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 16-May 05
  • Location:Bolingbrook

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Sounds good, my girlfriend, her brother, and I will do our best to be there early. :)
C-O-S-P-L-A-Y~!
Cosplay, why?
Because I....GOTTA~!

#53 User is offline   Sajomir 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61987
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-April 12

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hello again!
So looking over the maps, if signup will be in the Gaming Office, that's in the Hilton, right? But the tournament itself is in the Embassy? Going by the convention map, there IS a ballroom in the Hilton as well.


That aside, will signup be available as soon as the convention is under way? I'll drop by first thing if that's the case. I just want to make sure I'll be getting in as opposed to getting lost :D

#54 User is offline   August Hahn 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 60820
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-July 11

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

Thanks to everyone who came and participated in the Magic Pre-Release! I got a lot of good feedback for next year and will hopefully be able to provide a tournament that will satisfy all of your concerns. My apologies for not being able to answer the later posts; our internet connection in the Hilton was terrible.

Thanks again; see you all next year!

-A

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users