• You cannot reply to this topic

Glass Mask

#1 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61282

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Does anyone else love those sparkles and flowers? Because I. LOVE. THIS. MANGA.

Yeah, I'm referring to the manga. The anime (both renditions) ended before the series, so you know what that means. From what I heard, my suspicions were correct and the ending was a flop. Haven't really seen or heard much about the drama version. The manga is what I adore! I managed to get two of my friends to get through chapter one and after that, they fell for it too. It actually took me two attempts to read it at first myself; the first chapter is a bit rough if you're not used to classic shoujo manga! But honest to goodness, I really recommend it. I've read it twice, but it's been quite a while since my last read-through and now that we're nearing the end of the series, I should go at it again.

Once you get past the sparkles, you realize that the art really IS fantastic. The level of detail is phenomenal sometimes! The character expressions are exaggerated but great, and there are so many characters! The story runs somewhat like a shounen manga, too. The plot is set up in arcs, and there are character elements such as Ayumi Himekawa, who is like the typical shounen manga rival to the heroine. There are character developments left and right, and if you've ever had opposition from your parents about what you want to do in life, then you can related to the heroine right away. There are cliche moments throughout the story, but when you remember that this manga has been ONGOING since the 70'S, you realize that this was pretty much at the beginning of those cliche moments, and they're well-done anyway.

Ahhhh I could gush forever. I hope someone here as actually read it, lol.
One half of PinStripes Studios!
Our Etsy shop

Gearing up for our 2013 convention tour!
Confirmed locations: Anime-ZAP, Peoria, Illinois (January 4-6), Kitsune Kon, Appleton, Wisconsin (March 22-24)

#2 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

How I love this topic. <3 -going as Maya Kitajima this year-

I don't think the ending to the 2005 anime adaptation was too bad, at least considering that at the time I believe the manga was still on hiatus. Yes, it could've been 10x better, but not quite as bad as I think people believe it is. However, the manga, yes, is extremely amazing. The style is definitely harder to get into, since it is an older series, but the storylines, characters, and overall uniqueness of the series (as I don't know many other series that deal solely with the acting genre other than Skip Beat!) definitely makes up for it.

Now that my favorite manga has been licensed (The Devil and Her Love Song), I'd really love it if now Glass Mask would be licensed and placed out in omnibus format (as that would be the most logical way to do it, considering the length of the series). However, I get the feeling due to the fact that the series is well over 30 years old and that's a niche shojo series it may never get an English license. Of course, that isn't to say that it won't, but still, there's those factors against it that gives me a lot of doubts.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#3 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostAshori, on 08 April 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

How I love this topic. <3 -going as Maya Kitajima this year-

I don't think the ending to the 2005 anime adaptation was too bad, at least considering that at the time I believe the manga was still on hiatus. Yes, it could've been 10x better, but not quite as bad as I think people believe it is. However, the manga, yes, is extremely amazing. The style is definitely harder to get into, since it is an older series, but the storylines, characters, and overall uniqueness of the series (as I don't know many other series that deal solely with the acting genre other than Skip Beat!) definitely makes up for it.

Now that my favorite manga has been licensed (The Devil and Her Love Song), I'd really love it if now Glass Mask would be licensed and placed out in omnibus format (as that would be the most logical way to do it, considering the length of the series). However, I get the feeling due to the fact that the series is well over 30 years old and that's a niche shojo series it may never get an English license. Of course, that isn't to say that it won't, but still, there's those factors against it that gives me a lot of doubts.

BIG HUG for the rare fellow fan! <3

I know, I don't know if it'll ever get printed outside of Japan either, but if it did...! And yeah, this seems to be one of the only manga I know that seems remotely accurate about acting. I took a theatre appreciation course last semester and I was pretty pleased to know a few things already, haha. Plus, it is SO much better than Skip Beat, in both art and plot.

Now that I've found someone who knows the series, I must ask...
Spoiler

Our Etsy shop

Confirmed locations: Anime-ZAP, Peoria, Illinois (January 4-6), Kitsune Kon, Appleton, Wisconsin (March 22-24)

#4 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'll admit, I was never interested in acting up until recently, when I got into this series. XD Of course, I'd love to see how Skip Beat! and Glass Mask compares, but I haven't had a chance to read Skip Beat! quite yet. I may start now that, at least, Viz is placing the series out in omnibus format, making it a little easier to obtain older volumes.

As for your question...
Spoiler

Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#5 User is offline   Ekqo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I still follow Skip Beat, but rather lazily. I consider it beneath Glass Mask in terms of quality. Now I just read it to know the ending when it comes, since I've spent so much time reading it already.

Spoiler

Our Etsy shop

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users