Final Guest List

#31 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postmyrla, on 18 April 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Ironically ACen is the smallest convention I've ever been to (Otakon being the other). Otakon had so many guests from comic artists to overseas to .. everyone.

ACen does not. I come to ACen to see friends and do photoshoots and cosplay - the schedule here is amazing for cosplayers! - and very little for guests.

VGO is probably the most exciting guests for me this year, and I have the unfortunate feeling that my panel is going to be directly across from their performance.

But I don't even know yet and it's a week away? =/

Myrla, I thought that they set up every room already for the panels? They have the panel info in panel programing. They used to have a list up with the times and info of the panels on the main website. Though I don't know where it went. Odd that you didn't get a room number. :(

Regarding the list:

1. Am I disappointed, in a way, but also not in a way. I tend to prefer dubbing most of the time. I would honestly like to see some international guests as well, like for example the crew that created Code Lyoko. Something like that would catch my attention, how about Queenie Chan from Austraila?

2. There is probably a lot of factors behind the scenes that are going on so we can't honestly know why people weren't invited etc, outside of what El Ken kindly informs us about, which we are lucky to have him being as transparent as he is.

3. I understand how disappointed we are but how about we start coming up with ways to or solutions for Guest relations to maybe use to attract stars. Like for example,

"We don't have enough Japanese Voice actors. How can we improve this?"

Solutions: 1. Find out from some of the Anime companies, such as Viz, who have direct relations with some of the companies across seas, if there is a way to get incontact with certain seiyuus and magnakas.

2. What about getting into contact with Kodasha USA, they are owned by the main branch and took over Del Rey's manga.

3. Try to get other Seiyuu, or people that come frequently to talk up how much fun they had at acen or see if they can get Acen in contact with other actors.

I'm not for one minute trying to do GR's job, but I do think that maybe we can come up with ideas that GR could use, or not use, rather then just complaining about the situation.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 18 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#32 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Oh, I definitely agree that there's clearly a lot of factors going into this, and I don't mean to say that I don't think ACen is trying at all or anything like that! I just really do believe that ACen can do better than this. I love this con and I'd really like to see it live up to its full potential in this aspect.

I think a big thing that would help out would be to go for more guests, especially international ones, with broader appeal. For instance, try getting a seiyuu that has a good handful of somewhat popular roles under his or her belt. One or two people like that would probably impress more people overall than a group of seiyuu who are only really known for one show. It's great for fans of that show, but but for anyone who isn't into it, those guests will be kind of disappointing. It'd be more exciting if one or two seiyuu with more roles under their belts had come because chances are higher that more people would know something they'd done.

This gets trickier when talking about directors or mangaka, of course, but basically my ideal Japanese guest lineup would be something like this:

-a couple seiyuu with a fair amount of popular roles
-possibly a group relevant to one particular show in addition to that if both can be pulled off
-at least one director or mangaka, preferably one of each
-musical guest
-at least one "offbeat" guest, like the fashion designers and such
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#33 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 18 April 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Myrla, I thought that they set up every room already for the panels? They have the panel info in panel programing. They used to have a list up with the times and info of the panels on the main website. Though I don't know where it went. Odd that you didn't get a room number. :(

oh we have a room number and time. I don't know when VGO is performing, but my panel's 630-930 on Saturday... etc.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#34 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostOhki, on 19 April 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Oh, I definitely agree that there's clearly a lot of factors going into this, and I don't mean to say that I don't think ACen is trying at all or anything like that! I just really do believe that ACen can do better than this. I love this con and I'd really like to see it live up to its full potential in this aspect.

I think a big thing that would help out would be to go for more guests, especially international ones, with broader appeal. For instance, try getting a seiyuu that has a good handful of somewhat popular roles under his or her belt. One or two people like that would probably impress more people overall than a group of seiyuu who are only really known for one show. It's great for fans of that show, but but for anyone who isn't into it, those guests will be kind of disappointing. It'd be more exciting if one or two seiyuu with more roles under their belts had come because chances are higher that more people would know something they'd done.

This gets trickier when talking about directors or mangaka, of course, but basically my ideal Japanese guest lineup would be something like this:

-a couple seiyuu with a fair amount of popular roles
-possibly a group relevant to one particular show in addition to that if both can be pulled off
-at least one director or mangaka, preferably one of each
-musical guest
-at least one "offbeat" guest, like the fashion designers and such

For the Seiyuu not only would they have to have a decent number of roles, but a name that is more well known.
Particually with the group it would be smart to get one that is at least finished with the show and is set to air here.
Like you said, they can be hard to get, but I think that given the right opertunity some mangakas would like to see Chicago.
Musical guest can be tricky as well from what I hear.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#35 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Musical guests is one area where I'll give ACen quite a bit of credit. They've gotten a lot of musical guests over the years that I've appreciated a lot.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#36 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postmyrla, on 19 April 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

oh we have a room number and time. I don't know when VGO is performing, but my panel's 630-930 on Saturday... etc.

VGO is performing at 2pm on Friday (with Hamauzu-san and IMERUAT) and noon on Sunday. Looks like that will work out for you.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#37 User is offline   Rurounotaku 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9477

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostEl Ken, on 20 April 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

VGO is performing at 2pm on Friday (with Hamauzu-san and IMERUAT) and noon on Sunday. Looks like that will work out for you.

Thank you, El Ken, for letting us know a bit of the schedule that we all so are waiting for. I'm looking forward to VGO/Imeruat. Can't contain myself how awesome the schedule is gonna be.

#38 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Also, all schedules have been made public (at least for your mobile devices). Please see this thread for information on Guidebook.

Also, here's another, mobile web-formatted version of the same information - it's meant for non iOS, Blackberry, and Android devices. It'll work in your browser just fine; it'll just be big.

http://m.guidebook.com/429/
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#39 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postmyrla, on 18 April 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Ironically ACen is the smallest convention I've ever been to (Otakon being the other). Otakon had so many guests from comic artists to overseas to .. everyone.

Eh. I can honestly say it's just a case of 'times a-changin'. I started attending Acen in 2002 and it's the only con I've been to... my first year, Ken Akamatsu was in attendance. In subsequent years there have been awesome international guests like Yoko Ishida, Maya Okamoto, Mari Iijima, Chiwa Saito, High and Mighty Color, The Pillows (!!!), and even as recent as of 3 years ago, m.o.v.e. and Chiaki Takahashi.

If you look at the musical trend (and mods I'm not doing anything but noticing a trend that anyone with Wikipedia access could derive) it seems ACen and Avex have a relationship going on but this year, most likely due to Golden Week, I'm not at all surprised at the lack of Japanese guests but was still disappointed in the lack of a mainstream Avex artist. Not to say LM.C isn't cool, but I just am not particularly into them. Hamauzu I'm definitely excited about. They've said time and again that the timing of ACen wasn't last minute but based on other convention schedules so I suppose it's just bad luck that it has to happen right before Golden Week... to the poster that said the need to try harder next year, I'm sure not landing on or before Golden Week will help their chances.

That said even last year I felt a decline in international guests but this is also very closely related with a general decline of ACen as a truly Japanese Animation convention. Different strokes for those who follow dub actors, but the only guests I particularly care about is who has a hand in the creative process of the stuff I like and provides the original Japanese CV. ACen may be run by a non-profit but I am still a "customer" in a business sense, and after this year's guest list I've decided all good things must come to an end, and also now that I have a "real" job and money, I can afford to take my money elsewhere to see the musical acts and guests I'm truly interested in. That said I appreciate the effort put in by the GR department, and hope that someday ACen can return to its "former glory" in terms of its success with international guests. Well, attendance numbers are soaring but again, that doesn't necessarily mean "anime fans" are contributing to that (maybe just the Soap Bubble line, lol) as ACen and a handful of other cons have taken a life of their own and stepped "beyond" the focus on Japanese visual culture. Still I'm going to go into this weekend with a positive attitude, still check out all the music and go to anything that Hamauzu-san is associated with, and hopefully meet some cool fans of stuff and call it the end of an era :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users