Anime Central Forums: What is Acen doing to improve lines this year? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What is Acen doing to improve lines this year? Time constraints, multiple lines, etc?

#1 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

I posted this in the Main Programming Event Lines thread, but haven't gotten a response, and because it's a really important issue I figured I'd make a new thread for it. My original comment was:

"So what new strategies are being put in place to avoid double lines? The line for FLOW last year was a nightmare. IRT told us to line up inside, so we did! All the sudden about 30 minutes before being let in, IRT tells us we all have to move outside behind ANOTHER line of well over 100 people. Surprise! Needless to say, someone started crying. It was a nightmare."

Are IRT members going to be better informed on line placement this year? Are there going to be better signs?

I'm also wondering what's going on in regards to when a line is allowed to start forming. The 30 minute rule from last year was thrown out the window as soon as the con started, and I'm keen to know whether people are going to be allowed to line up for major events, like the concerts, as early as they want to, or if there's a time constraint. I'm really hoping IRT doesn't allow lines to form more than 2-4 hours early, but I need to know, because the last thing I want to happen is I show up for a concert 2 hours early and the line is already so long I know I won't get in.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Everything will go according to plan...until it comes time for lines to start.

#3 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

That's my fear, Rondo. THAT'S MY FEAR.

Like I said in another thread, though, if the same things happens this time I will refuse to go to the end of the line. That was totally baloney. Our line started before the other one, and they told us to stand there! If anything, our group should have been at the front of the outside line. They'll have to call security to drag my butt to the end of the line this time.

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

That's my fear, Rondo. THAT'S MY FEAR.

Like I said in another thread, though, if the same things happens this time I will refuse to go to the end of the line. That was totally baloney. Our line started before the other one, and they told us to stand there! If anything, our group should have been at the front of the outside line. They'll have to call security to drag my butt to the end of the line this time.

I'm not sure about FLOW, but for tickets it's always been a long line. I remember someone told me that they waited 6-12 hours for a badge at one point on Friday because of some issues.

The best suggest is do anything you want at acen that requires waiting in line, early. If you want to get a badge, always get it mailed or show up in the line about a good hour or so ahead. From the three or four times that I got a badge from waiting in line, showing up about 30 minutes wasn't enough, since it was already near the door when I got there.

For concerts, tell IRT and make sure people notice you. Like speak up; if you were there for a while point out this fact. It's also good to have friends to vouch for you as well in this kind of situation.

Same with panels; show up early if you know it's going to be popular about 30 minute or so.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

This post is less about line advice (y'know, line up early, etc), and more about how IRT is going to fix the line problems they were responsible for last year. Example being double lines, when we're allowed to start lining up, etc. I know for big events you need to show up at LEAST an hour early, but I need to know if there's a rule about when one can start lining up this year. Although obviously the 30 minute rule last year wasn't used. IRT needs to clear up some of these things ASAP.

#6 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

So what I've learned from this thread thus far is...nothing's being done? :mellow:

Well, maybe I'll get a response later. I was told to post this here.

#7 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

*twiddles thumbs*

#8 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm also curious if the line policy is the same this year as last year, or if there are changes in the works? Will there be a single line policy again for all events, or will there be differences depending on the type of event (concerts vs. masquerade vs. soap bubble, etc.)? Thank you!
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#9 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Me thinks these things are kinda fluid. You have a plan and once things start to get unraveled, they do what they can to keep some semblance of order.

What I want to see is when things do start to change and fluctuate, that whomever is assigned the line duty, that they all stay on the same page.

ACEN STAFF - Do the lines have a designated line leader? There should be a single individual who leads a team managing the line and this person makes all the calls and is responsible for each person of the team knowing what the heck is going on. This isn't to say the team members cannot contribute to discussion as to assess the situation at different places in really long lines but one person has to make the decisions.

This post has been edited by rondo: 09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

#10 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

My problem is that there wasn't even the slightest semblance of order last year. The line situations were so distressing and unorganized that people were crying. IRT had no clue what was going on. Quite frankly, I don't understand how it could be that difficult. You print out some large, bold signs (LINE STARTS HERE - NO LINING UP UNTIL 0:00) have at least 1-3 people in charge of each line, have some sections roped off if need be, and make sure IRT knows their stuff. If they don't, give them a cheat sheet with line info on it or something. Will people hang around in the area before they can line up? Most likely. You'll never solve that issue unless you've got 50 armed guards blocking off the area. If IRT notices a lot of people loitering by the line, then they should tell them to move so that they can keep the area clear. Be firm about it, and TELL them - don't ask them - to please move on. But that's not the main issue here - the issue is moreso how IRT handles the lines in general.

We need some clear answers as to how they're going to prevent the chaos that reigned last year. I was told to post this here, so it worries me that there hasn't been a response yet.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 09 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

#11 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Might be a good idea to PM this to IRT? Maybe then they will respond.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#12 User is offline   SprinklePuff 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61967

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'd like to hear about lines this year too.
Sprinkle Puff

#13 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

For all those wondering, the line procedure for main programing is here! =)
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#14 User is offline   SprinklePuff 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

That 30 minute rule is still in effect? I thought shortly after the con started last year IRT decided the rule wasn't going to work.

Is IRT doing anything different this rule to make sure problems that occurred last year won't happen again?

This post has been edited by SprinklePuff: 17 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sprinkle Puff

#15 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostSprinklePuff, on 17 April 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

That 30 minute rule is still in effect? I thought shortly after the con started last year IRT decided the rule wasn't going to work.

Is IRT doing anything different this rule to make sure problems that occurred last year won't happen again?

I am not IRT, so I can not answer those questions. Anything I say here is just as a person, not as staff. Perhaps you should message Mika or ask your questions on the main programing lines thread. (The one I linked previously.) However the one major thing I notice is the sactioned areas that will be roped off until the time starts to line up. All those who try to line up will be asked to move.

Personally, I think last year was a learning experience for them, and hopefully things will go smoother this year. =)
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#16 User is offline   Mika 

• IRT DH
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 19522

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostSprinklePuff, on 17 April 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

We are asking that the Attendees follow the posted times for line up. The 30 min and hour line up time frames are specifically because the shows are so close together. Some confusion last year came when people found out they were lined up for the wrong event because they came hours early to line up.
On top of all of this, having the time frame for line starts allows people to go to other activities and functions and enjoy their time at con not standing in a line.
If the attendees follow these guidelines then the line ups will go smoothly.
Also as stated in my other post linked above, there is a dedicated Line Control Section of IRT. They will have the manpower to ask people to leave the area if they are lining up too early.
Mika
IRT Mid Shift Supervisor '08
IRT ADH '09
IRT DH '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

#17 User is offline   SprinklePuff 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hmmm. I have very mixed feelings about this. I can guarantee you many attendees will ignore this rule, as they did last year, and loiter/attempt to line up way ahead of time. Lines started hours in advance last year instead of 30 minutes before. I'm just not understanding why this rule is definitely going to work this year when it was a disaster IRT gave up on almost immediately last year. I actually LIKE the rule myself and want it to work, but I just don't know if that's going to happen.

I guess I'll have my fingers crossed, but I'll definitely be checking to make sure lines aren't starting 2-3 hours in advance.
Sprinkle Puff

#18 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm with Sprinkle on this one. It's a great rule, and last year I attempted to follow it...then found out I was hours late to get a spot in the event I wanted.And there were other things I did in those hours that I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on. I really hope this works this year, because I'd love to do all the major things I want to get done this year, and not waste time standing in line missing other events.
Possible ACen 2015 Plans
Ryuho (Final Armour Version) [s-CRY-ed] 0%
Maki (1, 2, Jump! or Wonderful Rush) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 100% or 0%
Honey Lemon (Battle Version) [Big Hero 6] 10%
Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Black Lynx) [Shugo Chara!] 0%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#19 User is offline   madhattr999 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 50679

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

If there is a rule that states that people cannot line up before 30 minutes from the panel, people will ignore the rule. If they are dispersed, they will line up just outside the dispersal area. If they are dispersed from just outside the disperal area, they will line up just outside the area outside the dispersal area. While those people are lining up, various people will wander to and from the dispersal area hoping to catch the 30 minute mark (or 35 minute mark or 40 minute mark depending on the clock/watch/staff member used). When the people just outside the area just outside the disperal area notice that the wanders have been granted line access, there will then be a stampede of varying intensity from the area outside the area outside the dispersal area to the line up area, until everyone is officially in line (as opposed to being in line to line up to line up). Then after the 30|35|40 minutes, people will go in to the panel/autographs/washroom.

Seems pretty straight forward to me :mellow:

#20 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postmadhattr999, on 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

If there is a rule that states that people cannot line up before 30 minutes from the panel, people will ignore the rule. If they are dispersed, they will line up just outside the dispersal area. If they are dispersed from just outside the disperal area, they will line up just outside the area outside the dispersal area. While those people are lining up, various people will wander to and from the dispersal area hoping to catch the 30 minute mark (or 35 minute mark or 40 minute mark depending on the clock/watch/staff member used). When the people just outside the area just outside the disperal area notice that the wanders have been granted line access, there will then be a stampede of varying intensity from the area outside the area outside the dispersal area to the line up area, until everyone is officially in line (as opposed to being in line to line up to line up). Then after the 30|35|40 minutes, people will go in to the panel/autographs/washroom.

Seems pretty straight forward to me :mellow:

This is pretty much how I envision it, as well.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users