Anime Central Forums: The Next PlayStation Console - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Next PlayStation Console Orbis? Ewww, just name it PS4.

#1 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 38289

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

So I ran across this little piece of news today while browsing, and wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

Rumors of the Next Sony Console

Me personally, I would NOT buy any of the next gen systems if I cannot play used games or even have the option of backwards compatibility. We've spent too much money investing in our current gen systems and to just throw that all away seems highly unfair to the gaming audience.

2014 Cosplay Plans
Bioshock Infinite - Daisy Fitzroy (0% Completed)
Batman - Talia Al Gul (0% Completed)
Princess Peach: Military Style (0% Completed)

Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Borderlands 2
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! HERE!!!
I <3 Friends Who Keep In Touch

#2 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

thats really starting to piss me off about getting rid of backwards compatability, the thing about game systems is that you should be able to play the old ones on a new machine. it sucks that i have to have a separate ps2 for those games that i dont even play too much because its not even in my own room like my ps3 is
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#3 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Remember when all consoles had cool names? Like the Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, etc. I guess Gamecube wasn't too creative though. I guess that is why they had to name the next console something ridiculous and nonsensical.

Playstation is such a boring name so maybe they want to do some re-branding and make it sound "hip" and "in".
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#4 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Rumors.

How about we wait till official announcements from Sony before we get made at them for something?
All systems... GO!

#5 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostTiamat97, on 28 March 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

thats really starting to piss me off about getting rid of backwards compatability, the thing about game systems is that you should be able to play the old ones on a new machine. it sucks that i have to have a separate ps2 for those games that i dont even play too much because its not even in my own room like my ps3 is

I agree about the backwards compatibility. I really wish I could have sold my PS2, so my PS3 will have to remain as well. I know this all is rumors so I won't get too crazy about the rumors but I pray that both Microsoft and Sony really don't go the way of not allowing people to buy pre-owned games or even rent them. If they do that, then GameFly and Blockbuster will be going out of business while GameStop's profits will greatly drop because most of them come from the sales of used games. As for the alleged "Orbis" name, I find it meh, but we'll see if that name even remains.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#6 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45691

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

"It's also a name loaded with meaning. The word "Orbis" itself, from Latin, means circle, or ring, or even orbit."

So the rumors of PS4 being a satellite are true.
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#7 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

that's nothing, there is rumors that the next xbox is going going back use something like the vita, so the next xbox for lack of a better term is going back to carts.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#8 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Anyone remember the "Microsoft Origami"? ;)

#9 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Backwards compatibility is becoming a thing of the past for newer systems. It sucks but I've been able to manage so far.

But not being able to play used (or even rentals/borrowing) games is a bad idea that will come back to bite them in the short term.

This post has been edited by rondo: 30 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

#10 User is offline   Miss Marie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17089

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 28 March 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Rumors.

How about we wait till official announcements from Sony before we get made at them for something?

I agree. Rumors come and go. Let's not be too hasty here (though I'm hoping the rumors aren't true myself!)

#11 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

If they really do away with being able to play used games, one thing that they should do is allow most of their retail games to also be purchased at a discounted rate through the PS Store, Xbox Arcade, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't do it for all their mega releases (Killzonr, God of War, Uncharted, etc.) but some of the titles or certain games after they're X years old could be available like they do for 360 currently. Downside with that is you're going to need one big #%*^'n hard drive.

Doing away with used game purchases is ludicrous though. I tend to purchase certain titles only after big price drops or when they become used and much more affordable. I don't have enough money to buy all the great new games at once! :hyperventilates:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#12 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I could live with being able to download the games I already have..but some of those games are mighty large in size.

#13 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Well yes, I know these are rumors but considering how much I have to personally keep up with gaming news this is pretty big here even if the news might turn out to be different. Speculation is good, because if we don't speak up and they do things such as making used games unplayable, whose fault would that be? The backwards compatibility is sad to hear about, because there's so many titles I'd like to play but something I can do without if I have the previous system.
2014 Cosplay Plans

#14 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostDarkMimi, on 29 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Speculation is good

I respectfully disagree. Speculation more often than not leads people to make poor decisions based on incomplete or innacurate information. Articles like this will make people have negative feelings towards a company, and even if it is proven wrong later those emotions naturally stay with us to an extent.

Wishful thinking of fans is one thing and is fine, a supposed journalism site spreading what amounts to blatant misinformation is quite another.
All systems... GO!

#15 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Shh. Do you hear that? It's the sound of pirates ready to hack away bad service features.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#16 User is offline   Sir Viver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostJeff, on 29 March 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Shh. Do you hear that? It's the sound of pirates ready to hack away bad service features.

>tried to like this post
>realized I wasn't on Facebook

>realized I wasn't on 4chan. Goodbye greentext.
>realize I'm a bear.
>spaghetti falls out of my pockets

FXCKING Gamestop.

#17 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 29 March 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

I respectfully disagree. Speculation more often than not leads people to make poor decisions based on incomplete or innacurate information. Articles like this will make people have negative feelings towards a company, and even if it is proven wrong later those emotions naturally stay with us to an extent.

Wishful thinking of fans is one thing and is fine, a supposed journalism site spreading what amounts to blatant misinformation is quite another.

Who is to say this is blatant misinformation? Most people have no idea but some people do. Rumors are just rumors until someone gives out facts. At that point can rumors be proven to be right or wrong. It will be a long, long time before the facts of the next generation Playstation are revealed.

Just because we don't have the facts and only rumors are available, does that mean we can't discuss them? Hardly.

All kinds of conversations can be had under such a situation as this. People can focus directly on Sony, they can focus on their competition, and it can be further spread out to the video game industry itself. It's pretty wide open.

First and foremost, the games are what is most important to me. The hardware is just a gateway to what I want. However, if the hardware can affect my enjoyment of games, then yeah, I'd have to be a bit concerned.

Tidbits of what has been discussed already for the PS4 (really, Orbis screams development code name) provides insight on what some have already expected for the video game market, and in some cases has already begun to happen. May expand on this later on.

As for people making irrational decisions based on information other than facts is just a way of life. Some people are that way, some aren't.

=====

For the used games part, I can see Sony/Microsoft fully adopting the PC lifestyle..much like with services such as Steam (using their own counterparts PSN/XBL). It makes them way more money directly so it makes sense they would decide to go that route. The consequence though is that stores like GameStop could be heading for murky waters. But it is coming..it is just a matter of time.

Backwards compatibility..well, either hope people re-release those titles digitally or keep stock of your consoles (and even TVs in some regards).

This post has been edited by rondo: 30 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

#18 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't get where people are coming out with the "not back wards," idea from. I read the whole article and this thread and I still don't get it.

The PS3 is backwards, depending on what version you have, unlike the 360 or the Wii. From what I gathered, the Orbit or whatever it's called might be backwards, but will most likely have the same anti piracy issue that's similar to the 3DS due to the video games being stuck to one system/PSN/etc.

If not you still have the option to download them, similar to PS1 games.

The thing that I'm wondering about is: you might not be able to play Japanese games on the new generation systems and that you will most likely be stuck to your own "country for video games," due to the anti piracy lock. Nintendo did it and many systems are jumping the bandwagon.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#19 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 31 March 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I don't get where people are coming out with the "not back wards," idea from. I read the whole article and this thread and I still don't get it.

The PS3 is backwards, depending on what version you have, unlike the 360 or the Wii. From what I gathered, the Orbit or whatever it's called might be backwards, but will most likely have the same anti piracy issue that's similar to the 3DS due to the video games being stuck to one system/PSN/etc.

If not you still have the option to download them, similar to PS1 games.

The thing that I'm wondering about is: you might not be able to play Japanese games on the new generation systems and that you will most likely be stuck to your own "country for video games," due to the anti piracy lock. Nintendo did it and many systems are jumping the bandwagon.

Wii can play GameCube games so as long as you have a GameCube controller and other GC accessories are required, that technically makes it backwards compatible. I bought a PS3 when it wasn't backwards compatible. :( So unfortunately for me, I can not play my PS1 and PS2 games I do own on it. I will buy some of the PS1 games and maybe some PS2 HD rereleases I don't own for it. Now WiiU confirmed it will be able to play Wii games but no GameCube games.

Anyway as far as no backwards compatibility for Orbis (no, I'll call it PS4 until that name is official) the article with the rumors for the no used games, the "Orbis" name, etc. is where it said PS4 won't be backwards compatible with PS3. Now whether or not that rumor remains true, we'll have to see. Also *I* personally see nothing wrong with speculation personally. Sometimes speculation does lead to truth (Nintendo Wii to use a different kind of controller) or it can lead to balderdash (I swear one time there was a rumor you could hook the console up to your PC, lol.) Anyway I think its fun to use whatever information is possibly available and maybe generate some new ideas.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#20 User is offline   cloudacmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17980

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I don't like the sound of any of the "features" at all.
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudacmaster
Cosplays did not happen in 2009, thanks to finals. Things are not looking good in 2010 either :/ I may not make it til Acen until Sat. evening.
Forum Doctor and Forum weather man!

#21 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Anti-used game?Really?Nope.Sorry, Sony.Suck it.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostSTVO, on 31 March 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Wii can play GameCube games so as long as you have a GameCube controller and other GC accessories are required, that technically makes it backwards compatible. I bought a PS3 when it wasn't backwards compatible. :( So unfortunately for me, I can not play my PS1 and PS2 games I do own on it. I will buy some of the PS1 games and maybe some PS2 HD rereleases I don't own for it. Now WiiU confirmed it will be able to play Wii games but no GameCube games.

Anyway as far as no backwards compatibility for Orbis (no, I'll call it PS4 until that name is official) the article with the rumors for the no used games, the "Orbis" name, etc. is where it said PS4 won't be backwards compatible with PS3. Now whether or not that rumor remains true, we'll have to see. Also *I* personally see nothing wrong with speculation personally. Sometimes speculation does lead to truth (Nintendo Wii to use a different kind of controller) or it can lead to balderdash (I swear one time there was a rumor you could hook the console up to your PC, lol.) Anyway I think its fun to use whatever information is possibly available and maybe generate some new ideas.

From what I gather you can still play used games and other games, but you have to pay to download the full game. That's not 100% "No backwards compatible," but it does mean that you have to pay more money or have internet access and PSN just to play said games:

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

Guessing they are trying to do this since you can practically bootleg the PS3 almost as much as a PC now.

It's lame in my book but I understand their point. Although that brings up a question: Can you play Japanese games on the next gen system because of this or is it going to be like the 3DS?

I would loan you my PS3; I ended up being lucky and getting a fat one backwards. Funny enough, I've been buying PS2 games rather than downloading PS1 games.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#23 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 31 March 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

It's lame in my book but I understand their point. Although that brings up a question: Can you play Japanese games on the next gen system because of this or is it going to be like the 3DS?

That was the one thing the articles spread around the internet don't mention. I suppose no one has really taken it into consideration because most (not all, because I for one love imported games) stick to games released in their own region. Hopefully they will allow you to play other regional games intead of locking them, we don't all pirate on our PS3's. That's what PC is for :P (Joking, I don't want to go to jail and meet Big Bertha)
2014 Cosplay Plans

#24 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostDarkMimi, on 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

That was the one thing the articles spread around the internet don't mention. I suppose no one has really taken it into consideration because most (not all, because I for one love imported games) stick to games released in their own region. Hopefully they will allow you to play other regional games intead of locking them, we don't all pirate on our PS3's. That's what PC is for :P (Joking, I don't want to go to jail and meet Big Bertha)

Yeah it worries me; I don't want to be stuck playing USA only games and I can't play, let's say Persona 3, from the UK/Euro, rather than Japan.

I am guessing this new system will make a lot of people who play bootleg or Japanese audio America version of games (because you know, they hate dubs,) really really mad.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#25 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'll just leave this here...

My link
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#26 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 02 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'll just leave this here...

My link

If it's illegal in the USA, won't this just give Sony an excuse to let's say....not bring said system to the states and have it "Japan only?"

I can't image Sony not doing the anti privacy guard or changing it around just for the USA. I can image them skipping a year and only giving us the Vita only.

But they are not Nintendo and this is mostly based on speculation.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#27 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 03 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

If it's illegal in the USA, won't this just give Sony an excuse to let's say....not bring said system to the states and have it "Japan only?"

I can't image Sony not doing the anti privacy guard or changing it around just for the USA. I can image them skipping a year and only giving us the Vita only.

Sony would be really stupid to make the system Japan-only, lol. That's a good couple $100 Million down the drain at least.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#28 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 03 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yeah, Sony would never make their next game system "Japan only."
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#29 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 04 April 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Yeah, Sony would never make their next game system "Japan only."

Yeah they are not....Capcom or Nintendo in terms of that regard. Sony has been pretty ok when it comes to the USA market.

It's still too early to really say what's going to happen.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#30 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 05 April 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Yeah they are not....Capcom or Nintendo in terms of that regard. Sony has been pretty ok when it comes to the USA market.

It's still too early to really say what's going to happen.

Nintendo wouldn't either lol. Minus the Famicom Disk Drive and 64DD (which for the 64DD's case was a giant failure and FDD was almost 30 years ago). If you're talking about certain titles (Captain Rainbow, Mother 3, etc.) or maybe a system model (Special Edition Pepsi man 3DS or whatever) then yeah they may not but next gen game consoles, I think it's safe to say as long as its Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, North America/Japan/Europe will all get a release. Only one I could see backing out is Microsoft from Japan because they always get PWNED but even then they would lose a lot of Japanese support if they did that.

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users