• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Pasta Meme? que?

#1 User is offline   sockie 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60522

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

This year will be my third Acen, so I'm not a complete newbie, but last year this con meme of yelling "PASTA" and showing pasta on the screens at the masquerade was driving my friends and I nuts! We tried hunting a bit online, but found nothing. What are the origins of this meme? What does it all mean?

This post has been edited by sockie: 26 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

#2 User is offline   basili1250 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 51718

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

HETALIA!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_i-XL_fm6E&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Dhetalia%2Bepisode%2B1%26oq%3Dhetalia%2Bepisode%2B1%26aq%3Df%26aqi%3Dg10%26aql%3D%26gs_l%3Dyoutube.3..0l10.6891l8032l0l8209l9l9l0l5l5l0l140l431l2j2l4l0.[/media]

It's less than 5 minutes. Watch it. Love it.

This post has been edited by basili1250: 26 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

ACen 2009: Industrial Steam Punk
ACen 2010: Batou (first Ghost in the Shell film appearance)
ACen 2011: Human cosplay
ACen 2012: Father Cornello (FMA)
ACen 2013: Wreck-It-Ralph, Free (Soul Eater
ACen 2014: Iskander/Rider (Fate/Zero)

#3 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postsockie, on 26 March 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

This year will be my third Acen, so I'm not a complete newbie, but last year this con meme of yelling "PASTA" and showing pasta on the screens at the masquerade was driving my friends and I nuts! We tried hunting a bit online, but found nothing. What are the origins of this meme? What does it all mean?

Pasta comes from the anime Hetalia Axis powers. It became popular when the anime itself became popular in the USA (it was already popular in Japan along with Tiger and Bunny.)

One of the main characters, Feliciano or Italy, says this phrase a lot and has a very queer obssession with pasta itself. It's a running gag joke through the manga series that he will cook pasta or get pasta from hammerspace.

The phrase in general comes from the first episode, when Germany, another nation personification, ask Italy if he had any input during a G11 world meeting and instead he said this.

It's really popular with the Hetalia fans mostly.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I never got this, mainly because the word "padta" is Italian for "pastry."

My nana would pitch a fit.. XD
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#6 User is offline   emileighmorgan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61704

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

I love Pastasaurus!

#7 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

It's a meme that needs to die. If I have to hear 50 people scream "PASTAAAAAAAAAAAA" at Acen again I will rip my eyeballs out. Not that that will help in the slightest.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#8 User is offline   sockie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60522

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

lol this does not surprise me, as the person yelling it the most often was a chipmunky fan girl. Thanks, guys!

#9 User is offline   emileighmorgan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61704

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't think you will be the only one doing that to your eyes.
I'll be doing the same thing..

#10 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

View Postemileighmorgan, on 27 March 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I don't think you will be the only one doing that to your eyes.
I'll be doing the same thing..

Let us gouge our eyeballs out together!

Seriously, sometimes I wish there would be a "no screaming/shouting" rule at Acen.

#11 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostDarkspawn, on 28 March 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Let us gouge our eyeballs out together!

Seriously, sometimes I wish there would be a "no screaming/shouting" rule at Acen.

It's not that they scream/shout at ACen, it's what they scream/shout.

Let me put it in perspective; when I started browsing the internet and posting on forums back in 2007-08 some of the biggest memes were FAIL and The Game. Here in the year 2012, they are often considered Babby's First Meme and the normies are just now catching onto them. But in the special case of the Game, people still think it's funny somehow, despite no attempt to hiding their usage of the term.

In all honesty if everyone who heard someone scream "I LOST THE GAME" responded in creepy, deafening silent stares I think it would be hilarious, because that would show a solidarity that would warm my heart and put faith back into the geek fandom for me. Unfortunately the people I'm staying with are those kinds of people, so I have to be on my best behavior or some crap. But if I think you've gone overboard, you are definitely going to hear about it.

I think it is also the context of the terms you use. Yeah I admit Pastasaurus was pretty cool, but after that how many times can you repeat a joke before it becomes unfunny? Over saturation of memes during the Masquerade murders it and few people seem to think that.

I'm not saying you CAN'T use memes and in-jokes, but think about the context for once. Just don't be a mindless drone in the hive mind of ACen and try to be funny in your own way.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#12 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 28 March 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

It's not that they scream/shout at ACen, it's what they scream/shout.

I would honestly say, though, that yelling at the top of your lungs is very annoying. Just because you're at a fun convention does not mean you need to scream until you're blue in the face. Same goes for sprinting through the halls playing tag.

I think the screaming is most annoying when it's at a panel for a popular (male) VA. Did you come to this panel to hear yourself squealing? No...? Then be quiet and let the VA speak.

#13 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 28 March 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

I would honestly say, though, that yelling at the top of your lungs is very annoying. Just because you're at a fun convention does not mean you need to scream until you're blue in the face. Same goes for sprinting through the halls playing tag.

I think the screaming is most annoying when it's at a panel for a popular (male) VA. Did you come to this panel to hear yourself squealing? No...? Then be quiet and let the VA speak.

Ah now this I can completely understand. Nothing kills enjoyment like a poorly placed fan girl scream. Though in my experience yelling has been kept to a minimum.

Of course as far as running in the halls goes, that's straight up a poor decision because of all the traffic and congestion in the halls. Here's hoping people put some pressure on the brakes if the thought ever crosses their mind.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#14 User is offline   skinnyneko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61737

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Postsockie, on 26 March 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

omgg are you talking about that con that was at the Marriot around August time???

#15 User is offline   Pika 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61800

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Well the "PASTA!" thing is from Hetalia, but if you're talking about the maasquerade, blame it on the judges.
I forgot which one, but one of them mentioned pasta and the crowd went nuts. Then, every so often the crew that controlled the flat screens changed the screen to a random picture with pasta involved.

The best one was prolly when one of the judges said "Pastapocalypse" and a few minutes later the crew put a picture of a tornado made out of noodles destroying a house. That one was cute.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users