• You cannot reply to this topic

Maison Ikkoku: The Musical

#1 User is offline   CupOJoe 

• Press Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9858

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm not entirely sure this is the proper place for this, so I'm putting it here. Moderators, if you want to move it to the more correct place on the forum, please do.

A few of you know that I have been in the process of writing a musical based on the manga/anime series "Maison Ikkoku" by the legendary artist Rumiko Takahashi ("Urursei Yatsura", "Ranma 1/2" "Inuyasha" among others). There was a read-through of Act 1 last year at Anime Central (you can see it here).

"Maison Ikkoku" is my personal favorite anime show, and the story means a lot to me personally, as I identify with both leads: young "ronin" Godai who strove for years to win the heart of the woman he loved, and the manager of teh boarding house that's the title of the series, Kyoko, a very young widow, who lost the one she loved and is still coping with that loss. It is, in my not so humble opinion, a great love story that lends itself well to a classic American musical.

The musical that takes its inspiration from many of the great, classical musicals like "West Side Story", "Fiddler On The Roof", and "My Fair Lady", and it's those classic styles I am looking most to emulate. In production it most resembles the minimalist style of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown". It's designed to be performed by small theater groups with a low budget. it's my goal to have a full-fleged production nlt fall of this year.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been an anime fan for close to thirty years. I helped start two anime clubs (Rising Sun C/FO and the Japanese Animation Club of Orlando) and one anime convention (Anime Weekend Atlanta). This will be my third year on staff at ACen, having worked in the Green Room and this year as a handler. I work staff because I still enjoy going to conventions, as long as I have something to do.

Anyway, to the point: I'm proud to announce that the play is now ready to go into the production phase, which means (gasp!) fundraising! I need money to pay those helping me compose/arrange the music, to rent a theater, to pay the actors and for publicity. I'm hoping to raise at least $1,000.

To help start off, I created a project with Kickstarter where you can donate as little as $1, and as much as you like. Everyone who donates will get something, even a 1$ donation will get your name listed in the Playbill as a contributor. You can also get original posters, ringtones or answering machine messages from the characters, or a CD of the soundtrack when it's complete. There are even tickets available for other Chicago plays!

The project will be open for the next thirty days. This is your opportunity to be a part of anime/theater history: the first ever full-fledged musical based on an anime show!

#2 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thread moved~
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users